Edulix

Full Version: Fall 2017 Canadian University Applicants Gather Around!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Hi Guys!

I have been going through a lot of threads in the Canadian subforum and found that most of them are either deserted, or devoid of much interest from peers and seniors. Also, compared to the information that Edulix has on US based universities, the information for the Canadian counterparts is, conservatively speaking, inadequate. But I think this is expected since not a lot of people tend to apply to Canadian universities, and most would like to pursue their studies in US ones, and that's fine.

I decided to create this thread just to bring together all the applicants aiming for Fall 2017 intake in any Canadian university, regardless of course and major. I wanted to have a thread where everyone could discuss miscellaneous topics not necessarily pertaining to any university.

NOTE: For questions regarding a particular university, please post in its respective thread. Before posting query to this thread, please ensure that your question does not fall under any of the older, more specific threads. This way the information is not scattered and remains at one accessible place only. Use this thread only for misc queries.

I would start by sharing my profile, and the places I applied.

Name - Anonymous Panda
Major - Computer Science (Focusing on Artificial Intelligence and Medical Image Analysis)
GRE TOTAL(Q/V/AWA) - 161/155/5.5
TOEFL - 114
CGPA - 78.25%/100% (Topper at around 85%, not mentioned in SOP though)
Certifications/Work Ex/Internships/Publications - Please check my infobank for an up-to-date performa
Course Applied: Master of Science in Computer Science (Thesis)

Universities:

University of British Columbia
Simon Fraser University
University of Toronto
University of Waterloo
McGill University

I completed all my applications by end of November, except for McGill, which was completed just recently due one LOR not being uploaded.

Please share details about you, your profile, the universities you applied, and any other details you would like to indulge!

Question: How are you guys coping up with anxiety??! This wait is already killing me, and its still just the start...I know it can drag upto March, April sometimes Sad

Thanks!
I am going to tag a couple of applicants here to get their attention!

Gaji
monvictor
gurleenkaur
gogol90
Nice initiative trane293. I can relate to the fear and the anxiousness but since i'm working, my days pass by..Smile

Let's wait for the others to join in so that we can take this thread forward.
Hi trane293

You are now officially a new Moderator for Canadian forum. Congrats.

We count on you to help us expand this forum. Some ideas include hosting a Canadian admission Skype conference or chat session (here on Edulix or Google Hangout), etc.

Keep up the good work. Let us make Canada rock!

cheers,

EE
(01-12-2017 08:01 PM)gogol90 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice initiative @[trane293]. I can relate to the fear and the anxiousness but since i'm working, my days pass by..Smile

Let's wait for the others to join in so that we can take this thread forward.

Pretty much on the same boat here mate! I work so I get through the days, but during the night I always go check the portals haha!

(01-12-2017 11:38 PM)Edulix_Editor Wrote: [ -> ]Hi @[trane293]

You are now officially a new Moderator for Canadian forum. Congrats.

We count on you to help us expand this forum. Some ideas include hosting a Canadian admission Skype conference or chat session (here on Edulix or Google Hangout), etc.

Keep up the good work. Let us make Canada rock!

cheers,

EE

That's AMAZING! Thanks Edulix_Editor ! I'll keep these things in mind. I just want Edulix to have an active, informative Canada section, just like its US section.

I've personally seen many people with financial constraints (but with stellar acads/research experiences) going to other countries (mostly US) after taking huge loans (against their own, and their parent's wishes). While it did make their studies possible, the immense mental pressure is sometimes too much to handle. I have been an advocate for Canadian education since almost a year now, due to not just it's economic benefits, but for jobs, immigration, quality of life, safety, government benefits and a lot more!

I'll talk about some of the pros/cons of Canadian education in the sticky thread too (Is Canada better choice than US? A perspective), once I get some free time and motivation to write the same.

Again, thanks for the honor! I'll do my best to keep this subforum clean and informative.
Oh great! I've applied for Canadian universities too! MSc (thesis) Computer Science Focus on Machine Learning

University of Alberta
SFU
Waterloo
McGill
Toronto

Are you guys doing any prof letting? Is that useful/Important for Canadian Universities? Also, do you think SFU can be considered as a safe option?
(01-14-2017 10:21 PM)ramanuj93 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh great! I've applied for Canadian universities too! MSc (thesis) Computer Science Focus on Machine Learning

University of Alberta
SFU
Waterloo
McGill
Toronto

Hi ramanuj93!

It all depends on your profile. I see you haven't added much details in your infobank. It would be great if you could though, helps everyone! Wink

Did you apply to a total of 5 universities only? Or did you also apply to other countries (like US)?

(01-14-2017 10:21 PM)ramanuj93 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you guys doing any prof letting? Is that useful/Important for Canadian Universities? Also, do you think SFU can be considered as a safe option?

I emailed a professor at SFU and got positive feedback. Though I'm not sure if his say will heavily impact my application. For others, I think there is no need unless you are highly specific about your area and professor (in which case, your email won't necessarily qualify as "spam" during the application time). Many of the universities also explicitly mention that contacting professors before an admit decision is made is not required. In my case there was a strong connection between the professor's research and my own work (and my future interests too). This wasn't the case with other universities so I skipped prof-letting.

Oh, and I see you applied to UAlberta. I couldn't since the weather is a bit too cold for me up there.
Hey trane293!

(01-14-2017 10:49 PM)trane293 Wrote: [ -> ]It all depends on your profile. I see you haven't added much details in your infobank. It would be great if you could though, helps everyone! Wink
Oh! I'm pretty new to Edulix, I'll update my Infobank right away!

(01-14-2017 10:49 PM)trane293 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you apply to a total of 5 universities only? Or did you also apply to other countries (like US)?

No, I also applied to TAMU, ASU, NEU and GATECH in USA but they're all prohibitively expensive, so I really need an acceptance from Canada or I'd be in a twist! Surprised

(01-14-2017 10:49 PM)trane293 Wrote: [ -> ]I emailed a professor at SFU and got positive feedback. Though I'm not sure if his say will heavily impact my application. For others, I think there is no need unless you are highly specific about your area and professor (in which case, your email won't necessarily qualify as "spam" during the application time). Many of the universities also explicitly mention that contacting professors before an admit decision is made is not required. In my case there was a strong connection between the professor's research and my own work (and my future interests too). This wasn't the case with other universities so I skipped prof-letting.

Oh, Okay! I can see a few good matches too, I'll try to contact If I can dig up something to say that might interest the professor. I'm not gonna mail just for the heck of it! Just like you said!

(01-14-2017 10:49 PM)trane293 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and I see you applied to UAlberta. I couldn't since the weather is a bit too cold for me up there.

True that! But if they let me I have no choice but to try & survive the cold, since reinforcement learning is something that really interests me! -30-40 right now! yikes!!
Great initiative trane293 , I have been looking up for some thread for Fall 17 Canadian applicants.

I have applied to : Masters in Computer Science

University of British Columbia,
Simon Fraser University
Univ of Calgary
Univ of Victoria
Hey trane293, Nice initiative.
I have applied in two univ in Canada for Msc Petroleum engineering.

1. University of Alberta
2. Univ of Calgary.
I also tried contacting a couple of profs working in my area of interest in both univ but no reply. I think its because I don't have much research work in my bachelors.
Welcome guys! Glad to see fellow Canadian applicants.

(01-15-2017 12:18 AM)ramanuj93 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh! I'm pretty new to Edulix, I'll update my Infobank right away!

Thanks!

(01-15-2017 12:18 AM)ramanuj93 Wrote: [ -> ]True that! But if they let me I have no choice but to try & survive the cold, since reinforcement learning is something that really interests me! -30-40 right now! yikes!!

Anything for a good course eh? Very HappyApplause

(01-15-2017 12:59 AM)VivekSenReddy Wrote: [ -> ]Great initiative @[trane293] , I have been looking up for some thread for Fall 17 Canadian applicants.

I have applied to : Masters in Computer Science

University of British Columbia,
Simon Fraser University
Univ of Calgary
Univ of Victoria

Hi VivekSenReddy! This thread was wayy overdue! I'm sure once the decisions start flowing in we're going to have a lot more activity in here.

(01-15-2017 10:48 AM)parth1739 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey @[trane293], Nice initiative.
I have applied in two univ in Canada for Msc Petroleum engineering.

1. University of Alberta
2. Univ of Calgary.
I also tried contacting a couple of profs working in my area of interest in both univ but no reply. I think its because I don't have much research work in my bachelors.

Hi parth1739! At this time of the year the professors are usually bombarded with emails. You can make your email stand out by using a more appropriate and brief title, while also keeping the mail short (preferably 3 paragraphs of 2-3 lines each). Short, concise, to the point mails are more likely to be read in full and replied to by the professors. In any case, it is a not a required task for graduate students (except ones going for PhD), so chill! Good luck!

And I was just wondering, ramanuj93, did you take a look at the Statistical Machine Learning speciailization available at UAlberta in MSc? What do you think about it? Did you apply for it or simply MSc in CS?
(01-15-2017 11:11 AM)trane293 Wrote: [ -> ]And I was just wondering, @[ramanuj93], did you take a look at the Statistical Machine Learning speciailization available at UAlberta in MSc? What do you think about it? Did you apply for it or simply MSc in CS?

I have applied for MSc (Thesis) in Statistical Machine Learning at UAlberta!! Smile I guess it would be more focused what I'm trying to achieve here......... also I wonder if there'd be fewer people competing there for the exact reason! Here's hoping!
When can we expect the results from Canadian Universities? I applied in late Nov in Univ of Alberta. But I have not received my result on preliminary application yet.
I applied in Univ of Calgary around first week of Jan. Does Canadian Univ also give rolling admissions?
(01-15-2017 11:25 AM)ramanuj93 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-15-2017 11:11 AM)trane293 Wrote: [ -> ]And I was just wondering, @[ramanuj93], did you take a look at the Statistical Machine Learning speciailization available at UAlberta in MSc? What do you think about it? Did you apply for it or simply MSc in CS?

I have applied for MSc (Thesis) in Statistical Machine Learning at UAlberta!! Smile I guess it would be more focused what I'm trying to achieve here......... also I wonder if there'd be fewer people competing there for the exact reason! Here's hoping!

Good luck! It's a rigorous program, math and theory heavy. I agree there might just be less competition for that particular branch.

(01-16-2017 03:29 PM)parth1739 Wrote: [ -> ]When can we expect the results from Canadian Universities? I applied in late Nov in Univ of Alberta. But I have not received my result on preliminary application yet.
I applied in Univ of Calgary around first week of Jan. Does Canadian Univ also give rolling admissions?

Neither have I. But then I didn't apply for UAlberta or UCalgary. All my university portals say "Submitted" except for UoT with says "Submitted. Under review.".

I have been looking through GradCafe results for UBC, UoT and SFU, and it seems like the first wave of acceptances can be rolled out anywhere between January-mid-end to February-end. By the same time rejections start coming too. If people don't hear from them in this time-frame, it most certainly means that the applicant is on a waitlist. But take this personal observation with a pinch of salt of course.

Regarding rolling admissions, I couldn't find any university mentioning it explicitly, but going with the deadlines, I am pretty certain McGill has rolling admissions (its Fall 2017 deadline is March 1st). SFU has a dealine of February 1 but that's doable for a university of its ranking, and not indicative of a rolling style admissions process.

EDIT: Some of SFU's graduate departments do in fact review applications on the run. So there is always a chance that your department might be doing rolling admissions. Check with the respective contact person at your intended department. MY SOURCE: A graduate applications administrator from SFU.

Not sure about UAlb or UCal though.
Heads up guys! Some updates:

University of Toronto - Rolling out interview mails. I have seen at least 5 people get such mails (from MSc Computer Science, MSc Psychology, MMag, PhD ECE).

UBC - Acceptance notifications and interview mails from Physics and Psychology departments.

UWaterloo - Rejections in Psychology department.

McGill - Interview emails in Linguistics.

SFU - Nothing yet.

It means the applications are now under active review!! Good luck to all who applied!

SOURCE: GradCafe Results section
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Reference URL's