Edulix

Full Version: Spring Vs Fall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
came across many links stating how a Fall admit should be preferred over Spring. However, this link here states something quite contrary:
https://www.greedge.com/blog/myths-and-m...ring-2017/

Seniors, what is your opinion?
Obviously written by someone who has no idea how professors and departments plan their year! TA and increasingly RA decisions are made in Fall. With Fall applicants, we have the whole Fall semester to know them and feel comfortable to offer TA, RA etc. Spring entrants take time to be recognized.

EE
I would listen to EE, if I were you. He does know more than most people here, because he's on the other side of the table when it comes to those assistantships.

And if you want even more reasons to understand why a Fall admit is more preferable than a Spring one, consider the fact that most reputable graduate programs do not allow you to enroll in CPT in the first 9 months, which means in those programs, you'd not be able to intern in the summer. Like the author of that article says, there are universities that offer CPT from day one, but most of those sorts of universities aren't accredited, or are scams that try to game the immigration rules in place, aren't worth the money you might wanna spend on them, and most probably not worth attending. In short, most accredited schools which are above-board do not really offer - let alone require - CPT enrollment from the start, as that post's author suggests.

Now, you might be wondering, is that really such an impediment? Probably, or probably not. Sure, there's more competition for everything, from housing to assistantships and on-campus jobs, to internships, for Fall admits, but I don't think a Spring admit is actually better. The competition for those things might be less for Spring admits, sure, but at the end of the day, if you graduate without being able to intern and get that very valuable US work-experience, the path to getting a full-time job after graduation might be more difficult than it'd have been if you were to get an internship. Better still, if you can convert that internship onto a co-op, which again, are mostly offered in the Fall, for which Spring admits might not be eligible for in their first year.

P.S. Here is the link to the USCIS webpage which specifically states that an international student on an F-1 visa may not work off-campus during the first academic year (which means the first two semesters, generally considered to be a total duration of 9 months). Always refer only to the official source (USCIS/DHS/ICE) for such questions.
K@Ira

Apart from what EE AND T_O have said above, never listen to greedge people/article. They are the most... You know what I mean. Right?

I have been on their ship too. It's a sinking one.
Reference URL's