Edulix

Full Version: Fall 2018 | MS | MIS | G.R.E 322 (Q-169/V-153) | CGPA 7.01 | TOEFL 109 | PEC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Edulixians,

I am planning for 1-year MS MIS. Need your guidance on universities.

Profile:
5.5 years of Work ex

4 years in Programming(C++, PHP, web, scripting) from Sapient Gurgaon, India
Best performer award in sapient

1.5 years of freelancing as consultant and developer with around 50+ projects.

Can have 3 LOR's
1. University professor
2. Client in US having his own company.
3. Senior manager at Sapient.

Education:
B.E in Electronics and Electrical Communication(PEC University of Technology) with 7.01 CGPA

Image Recognition project in MATLAB (DRDO 6 months training)
Terrain analysis using Remote Sensing project using Fuzzy Logic in MATLAB.

Universities shortlisted:
MISM CMU
MSIS University of cincinnati
MIS UIC
UIUC
MS in [/align]Information and Computer Sciences UCI
Any other university I should consider.

Thanks in advance
Deepak

AK47
dhruvkwal
maddy1621
Considering NYU as well.

Tagging Seniors
grv231
Silent_Killer
MSmaverick
Wildwayfarer
deep0209

Congratulations on your scores Smile

I am not familiar with UCI cut-offs in the ICS, but your profile should be well within range. Considering your experience and scores, all of the ones you mentioned are gettable. Cincinnati is highly beneficial to people from SAP background.

Try looking into SUNY buffalo.
(07-12-2017 10:19 PM)MSmaverick Wrote: [ -> ]@[deep0209]

Congratulations on your scores Smile

I am not familiar with UCI cut-offs in the ICS, but your profile should be well within range. Considering your experience and scores, all of the ones you mentioned are gettable. Cincinnati is highly beneficial to people from SAP background.

Try looking into SUNY buffalo.

Thanks for the reply MSmaverick.
I will look into the curriculum of SUNY Buffalo. Any other university?
Also, I am bit worried about my CGPA.
deep0209

You can look into the usual suspects- UTD, NJIT and OSU.

Do not worry about the GPA. I have seen people who have had lower GPA, scores, and experience get a seat (not that it guarantees you one). Present yourself well in the SoP, focus on your work ex and any certificates and appreciation you have received to take away the focus on GPA.

Also, the uncertainty is hurting enrollment in a lot of universities. So, that might work in your favor too. Do not let your guard down.

You should be able to get it Smile
UWash, UT-Austin, Kelley would be a good addition to the list.

MISM CMU
MIS UIC
UIUC

Not sure of UCI,rest are safe.
(07-14-2017 09:19 AM)maddy1621 Wrote: [ -> ]UWash, UT-Austin, Kelley would be a good addition to the list.

MISM CMU
MIS UIC
UIUC

Not sure of UCI,rest are safe.

Thanks maddy1621.
I will check the curriculum of suggested universities and bug you again with a new list for review. Very Happy

(07-13-2017 08:34 PM)MSmaverick Wrote: [ -> ]@[deep0209]

You can look into the usual suspects- UTD, NJIT and OSU.

Do not worry about the GPA. I have seen people who have had lower GPA, scores, and experience get a seat (not that it guarantees you one). Present yourself well in the SoP, focus on your work ex and any certificates and appreciation you have received to take away the focus on GPA.

Also, the uncertainty is hurting enrollment in a lot of universities. So, that might work in your favor too. Do not let your guard down.

You should be able to get it Smile

Thanks @[MSmaverick].
that's encouraging. Now I can focus better on my SOP.Smile
(07-12-2017 12:30 PM)deep0209 Wrote: [ -> ]Considering NYU as well.

Tagging Seniors
@[grv231]
@[Silent_Killer]
@[MSmaverick]
@[Wildwayfarer]

NYU MSIS is a two-year course
I may be Naive to ask this but why MIS instead of CS?

I say this because of "4 years in Programming(C++, PHP, web, scripting)"
(07-18-2017 11:01 PM)dhruvkwal Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2017 12:30 PM)deep0209 Wrote: [ -> ]Considering NYU as well.

Tagging Seniors
@[grv231]
@[Silent_Killer]
@[MSmaverick]
@[Wildwayfarer]

NYU MSIS is a two-year course

dhruvkwal
Preference is one-year course but I am open to a two-year course as well based on a university reputation and ranking.
(07-24-2017 06:09 PM)Silent_Killer Wrote: [ -> ]I may be Naive to ask this but why MIS instead of CS?

I say this because of "4 years in Programming(C++, PHP, web, scripting)"

Silent_Killer, I was also asking myself this question before finalizing MIS.
my reasons being:
1. I have B.E degree in E&EC
2. Was not certain if my profile is good enough for CS core.
3. MIS has flexible curriculum, so can opt for CS courses as well.

Would like an opinion from Seniors.
deep0209 Please fill in your info bank with relevant academic and professional details. It helps seniors to advise users appropriately.
MSmaverick
maddy1621
Wildwayfarer
31337_Sh4d0w

Hi Seniors,

I would like to get your views on MS ITM from JSOM UTD.
Is it worth doing this course and what are the job/internship prospects?

As I am exploring their website, every year they accept around 350 odd students in this course and around 76% are from India. How much does this affect the chances of getting TA, scholarship, on-campus job?

Although course structure looks good but does everyone gets the opportunity to apply for electives of their choice?

Also, there are few negative views on Quora from current students. so not sure whether I should apply in UTD or not.
Read through the 3 threads in point #2 below.
(12-05-2017 12:34 AM)The_Observer Wrote: [ -> ]Read through the 3 threads in point #2 below.

Thanks The_Observer for such an informative posts. These are like "Bhagavad Gita" for everyone aspiring to do masters but my question is bit different.

I understand that getting a job/internship in the US is not like the placements in India and after your first job no one cares much about the university but what I actually wanted to know is the firsthand experience of someone who did MS ITM from UTD.

As I mentioned earlier there are some negative comments on Quora about:
1. getting the scholarship, TA, and other on-campus jobs.
2. getting an internship due to large batch size
(obviously, it's a simple math if 350 students are competing for the single opportunity as opposed to 80-90 unless there are more opportunities in UTD and that's what I want to know.)
and few more.

Am asking these questions because I have already received an admit from UTD and have to take a call.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's