Edulix

Full Version: Fall 2018 | MIS | G.R.E: 321 (Q-166/V-155) | UG: 60.32% | TOEFL: 104 | WE: 3+ years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Edulixians,

I am planning for MIS with course focused upon Data Science/Data analytics.

Brief overview of Work ex:-
  • Current work ex is of 3 years and will be completing 4 years by July next year.
  • Work domain is Data Analytics/ Data Warehousing.
  • 1st company was Bank of America and now Fidelity Investments.

College:
Studied from Delhi Technological University (formerly Delhi College of Engineering). I know the score is less and yes there are few backs (cant help it nowBrick wall). I have done 2 minors and Major project and 1 internship.
Minor Projects: Image filtering using MATLAB and Android Forensics using JAVA.
Major Project: Game Designing.

Internship: 3 Months. Company - EMERSON INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS. Over here the work was also related to Back end. The project was to to design and develop a database to record employees attendance which would be consumed by H.R. department of the company.

Universities shortlisted:

california state university long beach - MS CS
iowa state university - MS BA, MS IS
Suny Buffalo - MS ES (DS), MS IS
University of Maryland Baltimore County - MS IS
Suny Binghamtom - MS CS
University of Piitsburgh - MS IS
University of South Florida - MS IT, MS BAIS

For Iowa State University, university of South Florida and Suny Buffalo, both the programs had courses aligned to Data Analytics. That's why, i have shortlisted both of them. Seniors, please guide me if a particular course had more scope in Job Prospects. I will give that more preference.

Kindly let me know if there are other good universities that should be targeted, which i may have skipped.

Thanks in advance
Lovekesh

AK47
dhruvkwal
maddy1621
grv231
Silent_Killer
MSmaverick
Wildwayfarer
Hi Edulixians,

Just read a post mentioning guidelines (http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=181900).

I figured i followed most of the guidelines except few. Updated by Infobank and now retagging again, but this time only 5 seniors.

maddy1621
MSmaverick
sidatacn
Wildwayfarer
grv231

Also one more question, if i am able to increase my TOEFL score by 4/5 points. Will that make much difference.

Thanks in Advance,
Lovekesh
Lovekesh92 Welcome to Edulix Smile

Congrats on your wonderful scores Applause

All those univs are too safe. Please come up with a competitive list. I can see your GPA is a bit low. if that is the reason don't worry. We have had people who had similar GPA and got into awesome univs. You have good work ex too.

Please come up with a new list. Just curious, Why CS again when you are applying for BA?
(08-13-2017 07:44 PM)MSmaverick Wrote: [ -> ]@[Lovekesh92] Welcome to Edulix Smile

Congrats on your wonderful scores Applause

All those univs are too safe. Please come up with a competitive list. I can see your GPA is a bit low. if that is the reason don't worry. We have had people who had similar GPA and got into awesome univs. You have good work ex too.

Please come up with a new list. Just curious, Why CS again when you are applying for BA?

Thank you for your time MSmaverick.

Answering to your 1st query: Yes you are right. The thing is that apart from GRE score and college name, i have nothing exceptional. Even the TOEFL score is low (i read in one of the forum that 110 is a good score in TOEFL, just like 320 is considered good in GRE). Thats why i even asked in the next post that will 4/5 extra marks in TOEFL will make much difference.

Answering to your 2nd query: The reason i mentioned CS is because i was lousy. I didn't do much research earlier and after i gave the exam, i chose those 2 Universities for the list of 4 where score needs to be sentBrick wall. Anyways, i checked their courses and found out that they have electives corresponding to BA. So i thought i can still give them a shot. That's the only reason.

P.S. i will post new University list by doing some more research. Please bear with me one more time Embarassed.

Thank You again,
Lovekesh
All universities mentioned above are safe for your profile.

You have good profile. with good SOP and LOR you can make it to a good school. Apply to certain Ambi & Mod schools
Lovekesh92

I do not think that gaining 4-5 marks in TOEFL is going to make any difference. 104 is a pretty good score.
UniSuggest and last year results tracker can help you find some good universities.
Create a new list and re-tag me.
Thank you for your reply MsMaverick, silent_killer, Maddy.

I did some recheck and also went through Unisuggest and have shortlisted 15 Universities. PFB the same. Kindly rate them.

Carnegie Mellon University -- MISM
Indiana University Bloomington -- MSIS
New York University -- MSBA
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute -- MSIT/MSBA
Suny Buffalo/ University at Buffalo -- MIS
Syracuse University -- MSBA/MSIM
Texas A&M University -- MIS
University of Arizona -- MIS
University of Maryland, College Park -- MIM/MSBA
University of Michigan Ann Arbor -- MSI
University of Minnesota Twin Cities -- MSBA
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- MIS
University of Pittsburgh -- MS-MIS
University of Utah -- MIS
University of Washington -- MSIS

Also, there is one more request i would like to make. I figured CMU is quite expensive. Similarly University of Michigan and Bloomington. However, i still have not been able to estimate the total cost as tuition fees isn't the only parameter to judge the total money invested. There is location, financial aid and other factors as well. It would be really helpful if you could classify the universities on the basis of Money required as well.

Thanks in Advance,
Lovekesh

Tagging Seniors
maddy1621
MSmaverick
sidatacn
Wildwayfarer
grv231
Lovekesh92

Sorry man, I am not quite familiar with the fees/aid at those univs and it is quite a tall order with all the factors you mentioned. We can't say how much aid you can receive provided you do get an admission.

However, if a lower fee is your primary requirement, TAMU offers the best bang for the buck in your list. And you need to cut down the list to 8-10 instead of 15. It is too wide a net.

Retag us again once you shorten it to 10 or lower univs.
Thank you Maverick.

I have shortened the list to 10. PFB the same below. Also it would be helpful if I can get a segregation based on an estimate money required. <50K, 50 - 65K, >65K. These could be the 3 thresholds.

Thanks in advance,
Lovekesh
Tagging some more seniors.

AK47
dhruvkwal
Silent_Killer
The_Observer
The_Chharraa

Guys some help please.
Please fill your info bank in its entirety.
For the money aspect you may need to figure the economics out yourself.

You have selected too may universities can you reduce it to your top 10.
(08-24-2017 04:28 AM)Silent_Killer Wrote: [ -> ]For the money aspect you may need to figure the economics out yourself.

You have selected too may universities can you reduce it to your top 10.

Hi @[Silent_Killer|],
Thanks for the response. The revised list is as follows:-

Kindly rate them. Also I just want a rough estimate for money aspects. Just knowing tuition fees won't suffice. Also living expenses varies according to the location. That's why I asked if I could get a rough estimate. I have also selected 3 brackets that can be used to fill in the details (<50K, 50 - 65K, >65K). The estimate I want is excluding financial aid.

It would really help if you provide this info as well.

Thanks in advance,
Lovekesh
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's