Edulix

Full Version: Spring 2018 |MIS|313|105|71.3%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
31337_Sh4d0w Wildwayfarer sid14 metpalash Vaish2504
Hello Seniors,

GRE - 313
TOEFL - 105
B TECH - 71%
WORK EX - 32 months

SHORTLISTS
1. UTD ITM
2. UN Omaha MIS
3. UT Arlington MS CIS
4. Northern Illinois University
5. University of Colorado, Denver MIS
6. USF, Tampa BAIS

QUESTION
1. What is the chance of getting any kind of scholarship or other fundings in UTD for Spring 2018, as my friend suggested they don't roll out scholarships for Spring semesters. With the current scenario of US, I am afraid of taking huge loans and hence worried about high tuition fee of UTD.
2. With so many Indian students going to UTD, I have read in a 2015 thread that the chance of getting On-Campus jobs and assistantships are pretty low. Does this holds for even today.
3. With the i20 amount a whopping $24,350 for 9 months, are there any means to reduce the financial burden

Additional info
I am aware that apart from UTD and USF the other universities are well around <300. I am planning to go to US with my friend who has GRE 296/ TOEFL 96/ 75%.
I have kept UTD as it is in the vicinity of UTA which my friend can apply to, and USF if we both get lucky
Hi imkumarvikash

Welcome to Edulix Very Happy

QUESTION
1. What is the chance of getting any kind of scholarship or other fundings in UTD for Spring 2018, as my friend suggested they don't roll out scholarships for Spring semesters. With the current scenario of US, I am afraid of taking huge loans and hence worried about high tuition fee of UTD.
----- UTD does offer Spring scholarships. I have come in spring semester with a scholarship. One of the disadvantages of spring is, you will get a scholarship only for spring and summer before it resets.With the current scenario, I think you have a pretty good chance of getting a scholarship. Write a good SoP and apply early.
2. With so many Indian students going to UTD, I have read in a 2015 thread that the chance of getting On-Campus jobs and assistantships are pretty low. Does this holds for even today.
-------- Yep, it still stands true. But as long as you are competent and apply diligently if possible get a few referrals, you can get an on-campus job by Summer.
3. With the i20 amount a whopping $24,350 for 9 months, are there any means to reduce the financial burden
--------Only one solution.Get scholarship and maintain 4 GPA, work as an officer in a club and get scholarship again. Though it is not as easy at it sounds.

All the best my friend Very Happy
I'd highly recommend you retake the GRE if you can, before applying. You have a good profile, and can get into much better programs with a better GRE score.
(08-15-2017 02:07 AM)The_Observer Wrote: [ -> ]I'd highly recommend you retake the GRE if you can, before applying. You have a good profile, and can get into much better programs with a better GRE score.

Thank you The_Observer, but it would take me at least 2-3 months of preparation to make any significant difference. And thus would require me to wait till Fall 2018.
I know it sounds stupid, but I am determined to go to US with my friend (GRE - 296, TOEFL - 96, Acad - 75%). And I hardly doubt he can improve it much (prev GRE 289). Sorry, for giving this unnecessary piece of information, but I just wanted to be honest to you.
And yeah, thanks for all those posts in the forum, I could say I have read at least a 100 of them, and all have been helpful.
kd36939 aniket.aries elvisbooty rakshitrekhi

How is University of Nebraska, Omaha for MIS program and how can it be compared to UT Dallas, with respect to the
- tuition fee
- quality of education, and
- making us employable.

I have heard that the curriculum of UNO is good, not at par with UTD, but given the difference in Tuition fee it can be a good option.
What are your thoughts on this?

P.S. Please let me know if I should move this to 'comparison threads'. I appended this here so as to keep my options (the first post) relevant to the discussion.
Okay, I understand. Thanks for the background.

To answer your question, as far as the schools themselves go, UTD and UNO are similar in many respects. The things that tip the scales for me personally in favor of UTD are its location and weather (much better than Nebraska).

And read through the threads I've linked to in point #2 below, if you haven't done so already.
(08-15-2017 08:56 PM)The_Observer Wrote: [ -> ]To answer your question, as far as the schools themselves go, UTD and UNO are similar in many respects. The things that tip the scales for me personally in favor of UTD are its location and weather (much better than Nebraska).

Thanks for your insights. Given the scope of the city Dallas, and it's growth as the hub for latest innovations, I think I can safely go for UTD, while my friend can take UT Arlington or University of North Texas.

Thanks a lot for giving me the right directions

(08-15-2017 08:56 PM)The_Observer Wrote: [ -> ]And read through the threads I've linked to in point #2 below, if you haven't done so already.

I did read them except for the thread on Kelley Vs TAMU, thinking of them as out of scope for someone with an average profile like me. But now that you point it out, I am pretty sure I would get some good things out of that thread.
Thanks again for guiding me through.
@[crazy2kewl] Anurag2791 jagpreet1058 MSmaverick

Hello All,

Thank you for staying with me on this, I really appreciate it.

Seeing my inclination towards USF (it has long been my No 1 for a variety of reasons), my education consultant told be about the INTO Universities of South Florida programs , which has the course -
'Graduate Pathway in Business Analytics and Information Systems'

This course would be for my friend with profile (GRE - 296, TOEFL - 96, Acad - 75%, 3 yrs Work-ex), while I (313, 105, 71.33%, 3 yrs) would apply directly.

I would really appreciate if someone could answer my following questions, as I failed to get any information from Google, and was unable to understand the information on the page -
http://www.intostudy.com/en-gb/universit...testimates

1. Are the only difference between regular course and pathway - Extra credit hours for additional subject / subjects, and hence extra fee; as well as maintaining a fixed GPA.
2. Considering the total tuition fee for MS BAIS 33 credit hours as $30131, how much more would he have to pay.
3. Is there any other catch that I might be missing.

Even if I go to USF to ask these questions, I am sure to receive a vague answers, so you guys are my best bet. Please enlighten me on the above.
imkumarvikash

I do not know about this program. Wait for other USF seniors to reply. Go to the USF college specific thread and tag the seniors who are active. Meanwhile, I will enquire about this from one of my USF friends. Also do drop in a mail with the officials at USF, who knows you might get lucky and find the answers. There is no harm in trying.

Note: If you planning for USF because you want to be with a friend, that is your choice and I respect that. But if you are going to USF because your "education consultant" told you, then I would request you to do your research on univs again.
Sure MSmaverick, I have gone through the specific threads of USF, and found two active members whom I have already tagged - Anurag2791 and jagpreet1058.

Fingers crossed, if they have the answers for me. Meanwhile I would send a mail to the USF officials, and wait for your reply based on your friend's views.

Thanks a lot!
imkumarvikash As per my friend, Into means more credits and more fee. My friend would not recommend it.
(08-17-2017 09:52 AM)MSmaverick Wrote: [ -> ]@[imkumarvikash] As per my friend, Into means more credits and more fee. My friend would not recommend it.

Hi MSmaverick

Thank you for following up with your friend on this. I am really grateful for that.

Like you guys say for shortlisting - "One size does not fit all". So let me try to explain my case.
I am interested for BAIS in USF, because -
1. I am planning to finance my education entirely on loan and BAIS course is one of the most cost-efficient for the quality of education it provides.
2. I have a speaking in TOEFL of 26, which strengthens my case for Assistantships, bringing the cost further down with tuition fee wavers. Little optimistic here, I know.
3. Florida is growing as one of the IT hubs, with cities like Orlando already in the top places for working, plus the amazing weather, and beautiful coastline.

Enter - my friend (gre 296, t 96, 75%, 3 yrs) who planned with me to land up here. But his profile does not make a good case to get an admission here. So if he moves, I move too.

Now, as you pointed out, INTO program adds more credits and hence more tuition fee. My biggest question is, how many extra credit hours and hence how much extra fee?

I know it's a difficult question that I am throwing at you, but I don't seem to have anyone else with even slightest information about the same.

Assumption
So if the extra credits is for 3 subjects (9 credits), that makes the additional fee of $8000.
So, I am thinking, if I could end up getting an assistantship, bringing down my tuition fee, I could contribute a little to his. Even without my contribution, his tuition fee would increase from $30k to $38k, which is more than UNOmaha, but less than UTD.
If he leaves USF, the only universities he stands a chance is - UTArlington, U North Texas, or may be UNOmaha, which are decent, but not better compared to USF. In this case I would have to pick UTD, as my top choice and then UNOmaha as my second.

Conclusion based on assumption
Going through all the above, I think $8k extra for USF might be a better investment for both of us. But, if I underestimated the extra credits or fee, that would be a whole different thing then.

Thank you for patience reading all this. Hope you could provide me a direction or perhaps a solution.
Hi imkumarvikash

You will incur an extra fee of $6k. And for more details, you can check the link you posted earlier, my friend suggested looking at the same link.

I would like to note a few things. As you said, your thinking is a little optimistic in TA. I admire confidence and optimism, but it is not advisable to make your plans on the assumption that you will get TA/RA. There are a lot of variables that can change the outcomes. Have a backup plan.

Expect a 10-15% increase in fee estimates, because every college has a hidden fee kind of thing. For example - the website may show $3000 for 3 credits. Then there will additional fees like the international student or online course fee etc. It may end up adding another $300-400.
(08-19-2017 01:12 AM)MSmaverick Wrote: [ -> ]Hi @[imkumarvikash]

You will incur an extra fee of $6k. And for more details, you can check the link you posted earlier, my friend suggested looking at the same link.

I would like to note a few things. As you said, your thinking is a little optimistic in TA. I admire confidence and optimism, but it is not advisable to make your plans on the assumption that you will get TA/RA. There are a lot of variables that can change the outcomes. Have a backup plan.

Expect a 10-15% increase in fee estimates, because every college has a hidden fee kind of thing. For example - the website may show $3000 for 3 credits. Then there will additional fees like the international student or online course fee etc. It may end up adding another $300-400.

Thanks a lot MSmaverick

The lengths you went to help me is commendable. Certainly more than what I expected. I am very grateful for that.

I agree with you, I cannot make the decision being optimistic, i.e. taking the best case scenario. It's truly said - "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst". So I would be keeping my mind open to all the variables.

That said, with the help of you and The_Observer, I can certainly make a well informed decision. I have begun my applications and have my fingers crossed for all three - UTD, USF and UNOmaha, while keeping NIU as the safe bet.

Whichever out of the four I land, I would be happy to come back to Edulix to give back for all I received.

Thanks a lot!!
imkumarvikash

You are welcome. I do hope to see you back here in Edulix.

All the best my friend Very Happy
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's