Edulix

Full Version: Fall 2018 | MS /P.h.D.| ML/AI | G.R.E 325 | GPA 8.94 | TOEFL -108 | IIT, Guwahati
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody,

I plan to do a Ph.D. (in the field of ML/AI )
Please evaluate my profile given below:
UG CGPA: 8.94/10.0, IIT Guwahati
GRE: 325 (168Q + 157V, 4 AWA)
TOEFL: 108
Work Experience: (Current Final year undergrad)

Internships: 2
#Carnegie Mellon University, Language Technologies Institute
Topic: Content-based retrieval for audio, which aims to retrieve all semantically similar audio recordings from a given audio clip query.
# IIT Delhi
Topic: Worked on Brain Tumor Classification, Segmentation, and Gradation on MR Images.

I have 3 papers.
#Accepted - 1
Tumor Classification and Segmentation of Brain MR Images- Neurocomputing

#Submitted -2
1) CONTENT-BASED REPRESENTATIONS OF AUDIO USING SIAMESE NEURAL NETWORKS - ICASSP 2018 Alberta, Canada
2) Automated Tumor Segmentation and Brain Mapping for
the Tumor Area - IHCI-2018 (Intelligent Human-Computer Interaction) Paris, France

Projects(apart from internships)
# GENERATING SEMANTIC GRAPH FROM UNSTRUCTURED TEXT
# AUDIO FINGERPRINTING AND NELS(NEVER ENDING LEARNER OF SOUNDS)
#ACTION RECOGNITION IN VIDEOS using deep learning
# IMAGE DENOISING USING DICTIONARY LEARNING
#DATA DRIVEN INTEREST POINT DETECTION
# NON- INVASIVE BLOOD GLUCOSE MEASUREMENT using Image processing

Achievements
#SN BOSE fellow for the year 2017. Amongst 50 people selected for a funded research internship in the US. Sponsored by the Govts. of India and US respectively.

#Awarded Indian Academy of Sciences Summer Research Fellowship for the year 2016-2017.

#Won the first prize in an international Chatbot building event hosted by Datalog.ai. Received a prize money of Rs. 25,000 and an Amazon Echo Alexa home assistant

#Awarded the National Network for Mathematical and Computational Biology fellowship, sponsored by the Science and Engineering Research Board, Government of India which includes a cash prize of Rs. 40,000

Infobank Profile: http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=332461

Universities considering for application:
MIT - Media Labs
Brain and Cognitive Sciences
EECS
Stanford : CS
Berkeley: CS
CMU- LTI
MLD
Computer Science
MILA- MSc(direct P.h.D. not allowed)
Toronto- MS.c
UWashington- CS
Cornell - CS/ECE not sure ?
Princeton: CS/EE not sure?
UT Austin : CS/ECE not sure
Gatech: ECE/ CS not sure ?
Columbia - not sure (they do have a good vision group a few members only)

Please help me to shortlist. Considering my undergrad background is in EEE(minor in CS), I think applying to ECE makes more sense. Should I also add more safe universities?
Thanks in advance!

Edulix_Editor
Dragon_Warrior
gurkanwals
The_Observer
Lakshay Kharbanda

help guys? Smile
Hi:

Great GRE. Title a bit misleading. First thought you were planning MS; but now realize that you would like to do PhD.

Overall great credential. I advise - as always - the following:

1. For PhD, Labs and PIs (professors) need to be picked. Just the name of the university doesn't help you.

2. Always have a balanced list.

Ambitious (5 programs)
MIT - Media Labs, Brain and Cognitive Sciences, EECS
Stanford : CS (Whose Lab?)
Berkeley: CS (Whose Lab?)
CMU- LTI, MLD, Computer Science, MILA- MSc (direct P.h.D. not allowed)
Toronto- MS.c or UWashington- CS (PhD recommended at UW - one of my top choices)

Moderate
Cornell or Purdue - ECE for both.
Princeton: CS (recommended)
UT Austin : CS/ECE not sure (doesn't matter).
Gatech: ECE/ CS not sure ? (both are good; choose 1)
Columbia - not sure (they do have a good vision group a few members only) - pick an advisor (Moderate to ambitious)

Safe
VT (pick a lab)
UMCP (Pick a lab)

Hope this gets you going....

cheers,

EE
Hey! Thanks a lot for the reply. Yeah, Initially I thought about doing a Research Masters first. And most of these are unfunded and people also advised me to aim for a direct Ph.D. Hence this decision. I am applying for MS.c for places that have funded research masters though. I am not able to justify the huge opportunity cost and tuition cost for pursuing a master if I want to do a P.h.D eventually

Stanford(can apply for masters and P.h.D in one application)- Aiming for Dan Jurafsky(NLP) and Fei Fei(Vision)
Berkeley: - Aiming for Peter Abbeil, Dan Klein( NLP), Vision(Jitendra Malik), Trevor Darrell

I have a few question which I hope you can clarify.
1) Regarding Cornell CS vs ECE, I checked their faculty list and most of their top people in ML/AI are in CS( with no joint appointments/ 1-2 maxx appointments in CS from ECE). I am not sure why applying to ECE would be beneficial.
2) Columbia has Sree Nayar(vision), Micheal Collins(NLP), David Blei(ML) and a few new joinings - Carl Vonrdich. Does it make sense to apply there?

Thanks!
Nothing to add to EE's eval from my end.
Reference URL's