Edulix
Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - Printable Version

+- Edulix (http://www.edulix.com/forum)
+-- Forum: II. Profile Evaluation Phase (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Profile Evaluation Forum 2018 (not for MIS/MEM/MBA programs) (/forumdisplay.php?fid=149)
+--- Thread: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 (/showthread.php?tid=183650)

Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - yadavakash435 - 08-08-2017 09:07 PM

Planning to apply for MS in CS for the Fall 2018 semester. Inclined towards specializing in distributed systems and networks.

Profile in brief -
GRE - 329 (Q - 165, V - 164)
CGPA - 8.9 (Topper's CGPA is 9.7, so my seemingly good CGPA is not so good after all)
TOEFL - 113 (Speaking - 23, Others - 30)
Work experience - ~ 18 months as a software engineer while applying.
A few academic/independent projects, none that stand out (details in my unisearch profile)

Universities I have longlisted, based on unisuggest and other sources -

NCSU
University of Utah
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Buffalo
Northeastern
UTD
San Jose State University
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Georgia State
George Mason
Syracuse

Can someone please categorise these for me? If NCSU, Stony Brook, and Uni of Utah are too ambi for me, I will drop them.

My utter lack of research experience is weighing me down, but there's not much I can do at this point, except be satisfied with slightly lower ranked universities. Cost is also a major factor for me, so I need to apply to places where I have a non trivial chance of getting some funding.

My unisearch profile - http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=301870

On a slightly unrelated note, should I retake TOEFL? I have 23 on the Speaking part, and that part is apparently crucial for getting teaching assistantships.

RE: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 | TOEFL 113 - yadavakash435 - 08-08-2017 09:25 PM

Tagging seniors

@[Edulix_Editor]
@[gurkanwals]
@[Lakshay Kharbanda]
@[Chirantar]
@[The_Observer]

RE: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - yadavakash435 - 08-09-2017 09:34 PM

Tagging few more seniors

@[bigkeydi]
@[MSinCS14]
@[samahuj1994]
@[Ancalagon The Black]
@[devendra123]

RE: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - yadavakash435 - 08-13-2017 12:34 AM

Sorry for retagging, but any and all advice will be appreciated. If I've missed anything with respect to forum rules, please let me know.

@[Edulix_Editor]
@[gurkanwals]
@[Lakshay Kharbanda]
@[Chirantar]
@[The_Observer]

RE: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - The_Observer - 08-13-2017 11:41 AM

Sorry for the late response, I'm on vacation this week and unable to respond here. Anyway, the first four names from the top of your list are good. But after that, you've got too many moderate and/or safe schools in there. Drop a few of those and consider more ambitious schools/programs. Also, just because every Tom, Dick and Harry applies to MS-CS programs, doesn't mean you should do the same. Look around the university website and see which programs besides CS are offered, see their available courses, research projects bring undertaken and the program requirements and structure, then decide which program to apply to. For example, George Mason offers an MS-AIT that might be more up your alley? You'll have to do all that groundwork on your own, right now, before you start applying, if you want to do applications effectively and smartly. No point whatsoever in applying to schools or programs you aren't a 100% inclined to attend, or those you don't like a 100% for whatever reason, or that are out of your budget.

Also, on that note, if you're concerned about costs being a major factor, then reconsider applying to NEU, SJSU, GMU and probably even GSU as well. In any case, like I said above, as your list stands right now, I think you already have too many safe and mod schools, which you can choose a maximum of 3-4 out of, depending on the courses, faculty research, etc.

About the TOEFL question: I don't think you need to retake it unless you're quite certain to get a TA. In my opinion, getting in (being admitted to a program) is the first and biggest hurdle. If you have a balanced university list and apply smartly, you should be able to guesstimate your chances of getting admitted pretty decently, an extent. So once you arrange your list in terms of safe, mod and ambi options, you'll then be able to ask seniors from those schools your chances of getting a TA. At that point, if you get positive impressions about getting a TA, then retake the TOEFL. I wouldn't bother otherwise, especially at schools like NEU and SJSU where getting funded is rare in the first place (at least for the more competitive programs and departments like CS).

RE: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - yadavakash435 - 08-13-2017 05:07 PM

(08-13-2017 11:41 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  Sorry for the late response, I'm on vacation this week and unable to respond here. Anyway, the first four names from the top of your list are good. But after that, you've got too many moderate and/or safe schools in there. Drop a few of those and consider more ambitious schools/programs. Also, just because every Tom, Dick and Harry applies to MS-CS programs, doesn't mean you should do the same. Look around the university website and see which programs besides CS are offered, see their available courses, research projects bring undertaken and the program requirements and structure, then decide which program to apply to. For example, George Mason offers an MS-AIT that might be more up your alley? You'll have to do all that groundwork on your own, right now, before you start applying, if you want to do applications effectively and smartly. No point whatsoever in applying to schools or programs you aren't a 100% inclined to attend, or those you don't like a 100% for whatever reason, or that are out of your budget.

Also, on that note, if you're concerned about costs being a major factor, then reconsider applying to NEU, SJSU, GMU and probably even GSU as well. In any case, like I said above, as your list stands right now, I think you already have too many safe and mod schools, which you can choose a maximum of 3-4 out of, depending on the courses, faculty research, etc.

About the TOEFL question: I don't think you need to retake it unless you're quite certain to get a TA. In my opinion, getting in (being admitted to a program) is the first and biggest hurdle. If you have a balanced university list and apply smartly, you should be able to guesstimate your chances of getting admitted pretty decently, an extent. So once you arrange your list in terms of safe, mod and ambi options, you'll then be able to ask seniors from those schools your chances of getting a TA. At that point, if you get positive impressions about getting a TA, then retake the TOEFL. I wouldn't bother otherwise, especially at schools like NEU and SJSU where getting funded is rare in the first place (at least for the more competitive programs and departments like CS).

Thanks for the detailed response, I got much more than I was hoping for. Specially your advice about checking out alternative courses hit home. No reason for me not to take advantage of the varied courses on offer just to go with the flow. Will definitely research courses other than MS CS to see if there is something other that appeals to me.

RE: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - Chirantar - 08-16-2017 12:46 PM

(08-08-2017 09:07 PM)yadavakash435 Wrote:  Planning to apply for MS in CS for the Fall 2018 semester. Inclined towards specializing in distributed systems and networks.

Profile in brief -
GRE - 329 (Q - 165, V - 164)
CGPA - 8.9 (Topper's CGPA is 9.7, so my seemingly good CGPA is not so good after all)
TOEFL - 113 (Speaking - 23, Others - 30)
Work experience - ~ 18 months as a software engineer while applying.
A few academic/independent projects, none that stand out (details in my unisearch profile)

Universities I have longlisted, based on unisuggest and other sources -

NCSU
University of Utah
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Buffalo
Northeastern
UTD
Georgia State
George Mason
Syracuse

Can someone please categorise these for me? If NCSU, Stony Brook, and Uni of Utah are too ambi for me, I will drop them.

My utter lack of research experience is weighing me down, but there's not much I can do at this point, except be satisfied with slightly lower ranked universities. Cost is also a major factor for me, so I need to apply to places where I have a non trivial chance of getting some funding.

My unisearch profile - http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=301870

On a slightly unrelated note, should I retake TOEFL? I have 23 on the Speaking part, and that part is apparently crucial for getting teaching assistantships.
Ambitious
NCSU
SUNY Stony Brook

Moderate

University of Utah
Syracuse

Safe

SUNY Buffalo
Northeastern
UTD
Georgia State
George Mason
You can target more ambitious universities too as your profile is good

RE: Fall 2018 | MS CS | GRE 329 (Q - 165, V - 164) | CGPA 8.9 (VTU)| TOEFL 113 - The_Observer - 08-16-2017 12:58 PM

@[yadavakash435], good to hear that. When you decide on a better list of programs and schools you want to apply to, put the new list in a new post in this same thread (essentially, don't edit the first post, that destroys any continuity of conversation and is highly irritating to read through because it has no logical beginning) and then tag me and other seniors - keeping in mind that you can only tag 5 people in each post, of course.