Edulix
University of Illinois, Chicago - Printable Version

+- Edulix (http://www.edulix.com/forum)
+-- Forum: II. Profile Evaluation Phase (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: MBA, MSBA, MIS & MEM (/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+---- Forum: Univ Specific Stickies - MIS, MEM, MSBA, and MBA (/forumdisplay.php?fid=95)
+---- Thread: University of Illinois, Chicago (/showthread.php?tid=49228)

University of Illinois, Chicago - kuchcha - 11-22-2007 10:04 AM

Hey all,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank "TomorrowNeverComes" for his wonderful contribution and also would like to invite him to this UIC sticky. I am sure that this will be of great help to the community.

kind regards
AK

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - akshaypb16 - 11-22-2007 01:22 PM

thats great...i was really waiting for this one..thanks a lot 'TomorrowNeverComes' and a big thanks to kuchcha to Smile

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - TomorrowNeverComes - 11-24-2007 01:00 AM

I will post the FAQ and responses in my next post for sure..

Thanks!

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - boo - 11-24-2007 01:19 AM

Hi!!

can u tell us about the kinda finance reqd to do the course at UIC?. I hear that its pretty expensive. And is there some form of aid that is available?. And even if there s no aid scenario, wat bout the on campus jobs?. plz throw some light dude!!

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - TomorrowNeverComes - 11-24-2007 04:40 AM

Subject: Regarding financial docs
To: TomorrowNeverComes
Sent: 11-20-2007 at 01:13 PM
Hi

I have completed my application for UIC.But i am stuck with a thing the college asks me to submit financial docs and financial forms right now ..can i submit them later when i get an admit or i need to send them now only..

Regards
Rahul

Reply:
- Financial documents MUST be sent along with application packet. If this is not found or if it not in the specified format, the application will not be processed (we typically send a notification to the student and will wait for all the documents to be complete before we even look into it). They should pay *very* careful attention to how much money needs to be shown, format of financial support documents etc (the form and details are available at http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/forms_grad.html. Look under the link “Declaration and Certification of Finances (graduate)”.

Subject: another query
Sent: 10-28-2007 at 03:41 PM
Hi there,

UIC's institution code for GRe score reporting is 001851....I searched for toefl code there was no mentioning of such thing. I think hard copy of my score report will suffice..am i right??
they were not mentioning minimum toefl score in case of iBT...mine is 104 jus to confirm i am asking..whether I have fulfilled this requirment.

Subject: [no subject]
To: afficianado
Sent: 11-22-2007 at 04:17 AM
im sure 104 will suffice..and TOEFL code is 1851 ..im sorry i was too to reply..din check edulix for some time now ..

plzz send a electronic score report for TOEFL..or check with UIC if ur hard copy has reached and get the ack by mail and save it!u might need ACKs when you deviate from normal process..

hope this helps!

Thanks
Deepa
Subject: Re: Info about UIC
Sent: 10-17-2007 at 11:00 AM
Thanks Dude!!!..Can you throw some light on the Placement scene...Heard chicago is a big financial hub with loads n loads of Banks...As i will be looking for a role as a Business Analyst since my current exposure is in Dataware Housing/Business Intelligence so intrested in what all companies come....

Between UIC will be a great admit for me and I really wanna come down to UIC...

TomorrowNeverComes Wrote:
ye..there are lot of financial firms like BANk of America,CNA, AllState,HSBC,ZS,etc., which offer internships and recruit students..if u have prior exp in DW or BI and u take right mix of courses U can get placements in these companies as they come for job fair..Its upto us to make it!

Subject: transcripts
Sent: 10-15-2007 at 10:25 AM
hey tnx for ur wonderful replies..
I have decided to apply to UIC...wat worrying is me that some where I read they want two transcripts...i hav already got it frm my college again getting it is a big tedious process....can u confirm it that they want 2 nos??

Send 2 Transcripts: one to Grad school, one to Dept to which you are applying. You need not send 2 packets. One packet is fine, but put 2 transcripts addressed to grad school, dept one each.

More info for international students is available at:

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/international_requirements_grad.html

Subject: recos
Sent: 10-15-2007 at 11:00 AM
UIC dosnt accept paper bsed recos...imen letter draft by recommendation letter....i searched a lot before getting reco letter even mailed them but i didnt recieve response. i ahv already gt my reco letter so i m tensed.pls clarify it
Reply:
Subject: Re: recos
Sent: 10-15-2007 at 12:21 PM
they accept paper based reco letters..im sure..i did that..

- For recommendation, the references could use the form available at https://grad.uic.edu/files/RecommendationForm.doc AND append their recommendation letter to it.

Subject: Re: recos
Sent: 10-15-2007 at 12:21 PM
they accept paper based reco letters..im sure..i did that..
Subject: Info about UIC
Sent: 10-15-2007 at 06:27 AM

Hi

It was really nice to hear that you cud manage full tuition waivers at UIC..I will be applying at UIC too...The threads at Edulix have mixed emotions regarding UIC so i wanted to know from you about aid scene,oncampus jobs and placement scenario at UIC...I will be having 2 years work experience by fall 2k8...the only problem is my Low GRE which is a meagre 1130 Sad ..i will be banking on a good SOP and excellent Letter of recommendations from work place...So how do u rate my chances of getting an admit and getting an aid after i reach there...

Also wanted to have ur word on the faculty and course at UIC...

Sincere thanks for the reply

Regards
Rahul
TomorrowNeverComes Wrote:
Hi Rahul,

Chances of aid is high..Its plenty compared to other univ for sure..I have seen so mnay students getting aid..and part time is also verry easy..
even if u don get any thing u can finish course in 2 sems which is goin to end up with 30000$ as fees..

course has a good mix i would say..its up to u to take wat u r interested..

I can send u a list of courses that it offers by speaking to my prof..it has both mgmt, technical courses,

prof are good..u need to work a hard to get the full benifit of course unlike in india..

any more qs lemme know....

Thanks!

Sent: 10-13-2007 at 01:18 PM
Here are more details abt UIC...

Some key highlights of the MS-MIS program:

1. UIC MIS program is offered by a business-school (Liautaud Grad School of Business), so the focus is more on management and business skills. Students do a mix of business and technology courses.

2. Entire MS program can be finished in 2 or 3 semesters. One can apply in Fall or Spring.

3. Many courses are projects-oriented. They require students to work on live projects with top chicago-area companies. Students have opportunities to interact with top executives, managers and CIOs.

4. Most international students in MIS program find GA/TA/RA positions and get tuition waivers. In Fall 2007, over 70% of incoming MIS students got assistantships within one month joining UIC.

5. The department was ranked # 11 in research. The program has great faculty. The part-time MBA program offered by the school is ranked # 24.

6. Chicago is a wonderful city and offers excellent opportunities for internships and jobs. Most MIS students take up jobs in consulting, business analysis, project management, business intelligence, IT management and other technical areas.
More Info:
MS-Management Information Systems

Application Requirements

Application

Fee ($50 for domestics, $60 for internationals)

Two copies of official transcripts from all post secondary institutions

Official GRE or GMAT score - school code 1851 (please include a copy with your supporting documents)

Three letters of recommendation

Personal Statement

Resume

Additional Requirements for International Students:

Official TOEFL score- school code 1851 (please include a copy with your supporting documents)

Declaration of Finances Form and Financial Support Documents

===============================

I hope this answers few qs..

Thanks!

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - sujankish - 11-24-2007 02:26 PM

@TomorrowNeverComes
That infomation certainly gave us a comprehensive view of MIS program at UIC. Thanks.

Can you plz temme the parameters that Adcom analyses to offer an Assistantship/Aid to international students??

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - akshaypb16 - 11-24-2007 05:03 PM

thanks for all those details..a few more specific queries

(1)assuming that a student requires 3 sems to complete the course..the fee comes out to around $43K(assuming no aid/assistantship)..how much can one expect to recover from internships??how much is generally the duration of internships?

(2)also plz let us know what type of work students do when they get the assistantships?? does a GA/TA/RA mean a full fee waiver for that sem?? what is the procedure for getting these GA/TA/RA positions??

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - mohinin - 11-24-2007 05:24 PM

I have already taken my recommendation letters in Essay format. and the manager from whom I took it is now onsite somewhere in Spain. I dont have his signatures on the UIC form for references.

Are the Reco forms provided by UIC mandatory? or is it okay if I send reco without it as well?

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - killerwhale - 11-24-2007 05:38 PM

@TomorrowNeverComes

thanks for ur help buddy.. appreciate it!!

Could u plz clarify this for me...
One of my friend has suggested that although the MIS course is pretty costly and no aid is offered for the first sem, there are plenty of opportunities for GA/TA positions for the next sem, provided one tries hard enough. How far is this true???

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - TomorrowNeverComes - 11-25-2007 12:05 AM

Assistantship is either mostly in the form of GA--70%, --Renewed yrly basis mostly, some times sem basis
very few-1 or 2 TA's, --sem/ yrly renewal
one or 2 full tuition waivers--either renewed on yearly basis or sem basis--

Basis of renewal:

for GA/TA if they would need a student depending on funding available for that dept, prof . TA will get renewed if that prof will handle that course agaian in next sem. If he quits or if he does not handle that course in the upcoming sem is when TA's end..else they continue

You need to maintain 3.0/4 GPA for any aid to continue..its the min GPA required to graduate..So u should be able to maintain it..

GA-means:

Fee / sem is 15000. 11000 gets waived.. U need to pay 4000 approx as fees. and u get paid 1300$ per month as salary if u work for 20 hrs. If u work for 10 hrs depending on job requirement, u get paid 650 approx per month.

It easy & almost sure to get this renewed ..
Type of work for GA:Programming-web based, db,
Graphics & animation
Assistant in lab, administrative work,coordianator of events, programs etc,
Work in Medical campus as Assitant for filing, programming, admn work, tech support etc.,

Full Tuition waiver--This is 14000 off..u pay only less than 1000 $..only 1 or 2 students get this..U need to maintain 3.0 for renewal..its sem/ yrly basis renewed.U ned not work 20 hrs to get this waiver..U jus get it!!!!!!

On campus Jobs:

They ae plenty=--Lib, Dining Services,Parking services, Security, Medical campus has many--
pay--min 7 to max 8.5$ per hr--Exclusing tax..
students who fonot get a GA mostly they for this..

Finishing course is 3 sem means:possible as u need to take only 8 subjects worth 4 credits to graduate if u dont have prereqs(if u r from CS or IT u wont have prereqs, else if u have work exp, u can get prereqs waived, else if u r not from IT/CS/work exp u may have 2 prereqs)

hope this answers few qs..rest i'll answer as i read through.

Thanks!!

sujankish Wrote:@TomorrowNeverComes
That infomation certainly gave us a comprehensive view of MIS program at UIC. Thanks.

Can you plz temme the parameters that Adcom analyses to offer an Assistantship/Aid to international students??

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - shriram_rait - 11-25-2007 12:15 AM

hey can u tell me wat these pre-requisites will be if in case i am not from a CS centric field?
and...are the admissions at UIC rolling .......can u give a min cut -off kind of a profile to get into UIC..
thanks

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - TomorrowNeverComes - 11-25-2007 12:38 AM

It true ..i cant assure as its upto individuals to try as much as they can..i know that getting a GA is not easy in any univ..its a tough time to go around searching for one, n/wing with as mnay seniors as u can ..u need to work really hard, try the level BEST, n/w with seniors, apply online to all those opportunities that are listed in uiccareers.com, this gets activated once u r in here..
killerwhale Wrote:@TomorrowNeverComes

thanks for ur help buddy.. appreciate it!!

Could u plz clarify this for me...
One of my friend has suggested that although the MIS course is pretty costly and no aid is offered for the first sem, there are plenty of opportunities for GA/TA positions for the next sem, provided one tries hard enough. How far is this true???

43K is for living + tuition for 2 sems.. Ur tution would be 15k per sem.
Inetrnships i donno how much they pay..its less..full time --for MIS--its starts at 60k and depending on skillset and exp it increases upto 70k-75k max

type of GA work i have writen some where in the posts below..check them out

RA for MIS is rare..i have not seen them here..if u r in CS u can get RA here..else its GA/ TA/ full tution waiver-this is an award..

Proc to get GA/ TA/waiver:

u need to apply online for GA/TA after u come hereand goin around univ to hunt for one..soem times GA'sare not advertised as a student working there may refer some one ..This is the most prevelant thing in many univ..its by student referral u get GA..But some employers scrutinize the list of candidates who apply online or who walk upto them to get the GA..

full tuition waiver--they select candidates who are best in that batch when they apply based on GRE,toefl, percentage in UG, work exp , other skillsets..

Thanks!
akshaypb16 Wrote:thanks for all those details..a few more specific queries

(1)assuming that a student requires 3 sems to complete the course..the fee comes out to around $43K(assuming no aid/assistantship)..how much can one expect to recover from internships??how much is generally the duration of internships?

(2)also plz let us know what type of work students do when they get the assistantships?? does a GA/TA/RA mean a full fee waiver for that sem?? what is the procedure for getting these GA/TA/RA positions??

mohinin Wrote:I have already taken my recommendation letters in Essay format. and the manager from whom I took it is now onsite somewhere in Spain. I dont have his signatures on the UIC form for references.

Are the Reco forms provided by UIC mandatory? or is it okay if I send reco without it as well?

Its not mandatory..Send the one u have..u can also apply online

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - akshaypb16 - 11-25-2007 01:05 AM

thanks a lot..really helpful

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - mishellechiramel - 11-29-2007 10:52 AM

wat do we have to put in the UIC application packet?

RE: University of Illinois, Chicago - MIS 2008 - ng - 11-29-2007 11:03 AM

I havent been able to find the course/curriculum listing for MIS program in UIC.
Can someone help me out with this?
Things like what are the electives and core courses, their respective credits, and what would a typical semester at UIC will consist of.

Regards,
NG
I found it...
heres the link..

http://www.uic.edu/cba/lgradbiz/degree_req.html