ajeyaajeya Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ajeyaajeya Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 3
Unisearch: Link
PhD deferred for an employment opportunity. Open to opinions
Hi,

I am a current student of MS EE in SUNY B, I received admit for PhD EE and deferred it for a year (Fall 18) to solve a bit of financial issue to earn and to get some experience in industry.

My current Prof does not have funding and so I get the time to look for some other Profs and talk with them about their interests and their availability with funding.

How difficult it would be to convert OPT to F1 for Fall 2018 ?
( Cannot say anything about H1 and Part Time PhD option , because I cannot depend on a lottery to judge my future)

Is it good to do 2 degrees (in my case MS and later PhD) from same university ? I have heard that employers , even for professorship, look for diversity of experience and getting degrees from different universities are always preferred . How much truth is there in this statement ?

Is it worth the effort to look for other PhD opportunities in other universities too ?

Background story:

My GRE is 301 and do not plan to retake. Because now focus is on job search, have to invest more time int it, than GRE. Combined Academic and research experience includes 5+ years and 2 average papers, 1 IEEE and 1 paper coming up in May.

All replies are welcome,

Thanks,

My infobank

------------------------------

Fall 2015: U Waterloo | Iowa St Uni(EE)| Virginia Tech(EE)| Texas Tech |SUNY Buffalo (EE)
Fall 2014: Chalmers(Sys,Ctrl,Mechatronics) | Uni Siegen |TU Kaiserslautern(EE)
03-20-2017 06:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 467
Unisearch: Link
RE: PhD deferred for an employment opportunity. Open to opinions
Hi ajeyaajeya

Answer: How difficult it would be to convert OPT to F1 for Fall 2018 ?
( Cannot say anything about H1 and Part Time PhD option , because I cannot depend on a lottery to judge my future)

As of now, it is not difficult. You can always change to F1 from other visa types. The story has to be of course credible. If your OPT helps you recognize that there is bright future in a certain aspect of the research that you want to pursue, that could be a very good reason, for example.

Is it good to do 2 degrees (in my case MS and later PhD) from same university ? I have heard that employers , even for professorship, look for diversity of experience and getting degrees from different universities are always preferred . How much truth is there in this statement ?

Answer: That is not an over-riding criteria in what will follow your PhD. Is your research useful? Is it in a new breaking area? cutting-edge? Good publications? Is your professor's Lab well known? What is the track record of placement among his/her doctoral graduates, etc. These are the key questions.

Is it worth the effort to look for other PhD opportunities in other universities too ?

Answer: One of the lessons that I have learnt in life is to go for the best that you can get into. You always have to take a risk. Homo Sapiens succeeded in conquering this planet because they always took risks. Not sure if Neandertals vanished because of their lack of risk taking? Smile

At any rate, you will ahem time next year to redo GRE and get yourself in a great program. I will do that, if I were you.

cheers,

EE

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
03-21-2017 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread