manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: PLZ EVALUATE PROFILE FOR ETH ZURICH
(01-21-2009 07:08 PM)vlsi_don Wrote:  @manik :

Is ETH really that good? I mean, I used Edulix while searching for European universities..Not much discussion about ETH, though many claimed EPFL being a very good university. Have already applied to Sweden and TU Delft for Microelectronics. Was thinking about applying to either EPFL or ETH
But EPFL deadline is over. There is another deadline. They seem to follow some different system. Can you please let me know if I can still apply there. Any disadv of applying in this second round?
Also, I have already spent a lot on applying to univ. Can apply to atmost 1 now. So, should it be EPFL or ETH ? I am interested in Digital VLSI, Reconfigurable computing and DSP using VLSI.

Thanks a lot !!

Hi Don,

ETH is damn damn good....the point is, not much people apply there cos it is highly selective....It asks for a very good research profile apart from atleast decent enough acads.

As for EPFL, it also is a very good university....yeah, their 15th jan deadline is over....i had apped there and results wl be out by mid feb...There is no big disadvantage but consider this....Suppose they have 100 seats....From the first phase, they select 75....So for the 2nd phase, they wl select only 25.....Now consider this....ur profile was good to be among the 75 selected in the first phase, but is not in top-25 in the second phase appers....I guess u now know the answer.

You hv not stated your profile here....still i searched for it, got a look, but couldnt get all info like UG university, complete GRE, Toefl scores etc....So I request you to provide a link of your updated profile, so that I can suggest u which to choose.

Clearing the distinction b/w them, I would say:
EPFL shld hv been mod-safe for you had u apped in first phase (Dunno about second phase)
ETH wld be ambi/very ambi

EPFL doesnt ask for test scores...it requires 2 offline recos.
ETH asks for scores....1 online/offline reco.

Also pls provide the list u hv already apped along with ur profile....In case u hv enough safes and mods, then I wld suggest that u shld app for ETH.....If not, then you can keep EPFL as an option and apply there only in case you receive a string of rejects by 15th March.

One query I had....You are interested in Digital VLSI, Reconfigurable computing and DSP using VLSI....but you hv also apped for TU Delft in microelectronics track....which is more of analog design and VLSI....Do you knew this before apping there???

UCSB has a quarter system, meaning what we do in 2.5-3 months is what other people do in a semester...which means a hell of a workload....which means I am usually very busy.

So I discourage profile evaluations...in case u are in ECE, I might reply after a week...and in case u are not in ECE, I wont bother.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2009 08:12 PM by manik_nsit.)
01-21-2009 08:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

Hey Manik,
Thanks a lot..

I'll answer the easier questions first.

Quote:One query I had....You are interested in Digital VLSI, Reconfigurable computing and DSP using VLSI....but you hv also apped for TU Delft in microelectronics track....which is more of analog design and VLSI....Do you knew this before apping there???

I knew about it before I applied. I have a strong profile for embedded system design/ reconfig computing, though no papers. My Final year project is a research project funded by AICTE. What I stated above was my genuine area of interest. Though, knowledge of Analog VLSI is very essential even for Digital asic designers.
Considering everything, I applied for 2 programs at TU Delft-
Pref 1: Microelectronics
Pref 2: Comp Engg.

I know according to my interests, Computer Engg should have been my preference 1, but to be frank, I never got opportunity to work on Analog vlsi (apart from academics)
So, dilemma there.. I took the safe route out..

Quote:Also pls provide the list u hv already apped along with ur profile....In case u hv enough safes and mods, then I wld suggest that u shld app for ETH.....If not, then you can keep EPFL as an option and apply there only in case you receive a string of rejects by 15th March.

My profile is here : http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=58861
GRE score : 1410 (800+610)
AWM: 3.5 Sad
Toefl : 112 (30 in writing -- thats why i hate such tests)

Univ of Pune, Acads very good (Top 5 in dept of 120 students)
Good extra curricular, great projects (both mini proj and BE proj in VLSI + DSP + embedded sys area)

Applied to
USC
Gatech
UCLA
UCSB
UT Austin
UMass Amherst
NCSU
TU Delft

I am very optimistic of USC Smile Am going there in worst case senario..

Now coming to main thing
Quote:ETH is damn damn good....the point is, not much people apply there cos it is highly selective....It asks for a very good research profile apart from atleast decent enough acads.

As for EPFL, it also is a very good university....yeah, their 15th jan deadline is over....i had apped there and results wl be out by mid feb...There is no big disadvantage but consider this....Suppose they have 100 seats....From the first phase, they select 75....So for the 2nd phase, they wl select only 25.....Now consider this....ur profile was good to be among the 75 selected in the first phase, but is not in top-25 in the second phase appers....I guess u now know the answer.

You hv not stated your profile here....still i searched for it, got a look, but couldnt get all info like UG university, complete GRE, Toefl scores etc....So I request you to provide a link of your updated profile, so that I can suggest u which to choose.

Clearing the distinction b/w them, I would say:
EPFL shld hv been mod-safe for you had u apped in first phase (Dunno about second phase)
ETH wld be ambi/very ambi

EPFL doesnt ask for test scores...it requires 2 offline recos.
ETH asks for scores....1 online/offline reco.

Let me ease this question out.
Can you help me with the following questions.
1) Compare EPFL and ETH on

a) Quality of program
b) Probablity of getting admit
c) Tution + cost of living
d) Application Fee
e) Chances of aid

this is my order of priority.

Please suggest. Am extremely sorry for writing such big essays !

Thanks a lot for all the help !

Cheers,
vlsi_don

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2009 12:06 AM by vlsi_don.)
01-21-2009 11:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

@vlsi_don
"I know according to my interests, Computer Engg should have been my preference 1, but to be frank, I never got opportunity to work on Analog vlsi (apart from academics)
So, dilemma there.. I took the safe route out.."

Dint understand this logic.

If you have done your project and good in Embedded and system design, it's more safe to apply for Computer engineering as the areas you have worked on coincides with the program.

Or Are you trying to say that Analog design is your interest and hence you applied for Microelec?

Better late than never! I'm back...
01-22-2009 11:35 AM
vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

@vishwastv

TU Delft allows you to apply for 2 programs. They will evaluate your 1st preference. Incase they find you incapable of pursuing the course (meaning a reject), only then will they evaluate the 2nd preference.

After consulting some seniors and people at Delft, I got the impression that the microelectronics course is slightly better than the Computer Engineering course, though many subjects are common and both programs can be tailored to include analog and digital subjects according to interest.

I am passionately interested in Digital Asic Design (and things related to it), for which I am applying to VLSI. But I am pretty sure that Analog VLSI would also be interesting (though I dont have in-depth knowledge).

To keep my options open, I decided to apply as stated. In short, I am allowing the admission committee at Delft decide where I deserve to study, if at all.

Hope that clears the ambiguity.
@vishwastv
@manik

Saw your profiles guys..
Must say all three of us are travelling on the same boat. With similar profiles and applications. Manik being much ahead (due to his papers) followed by you (due to work ex) ...

Hope all of us make it to Delft !! Smile

@Vishwastv:
Any specific reason you didn't apply to ETH. I saw you did apply to EPFL.. Any reason why EPFL ?
What is your area of interest?

Thanks a lot !!

Cheers,
vlsi_don

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2009 12:55 PM by vlsi_don.)
01-22-2009 12:34 PM
manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

@ VLSI DON,

Hi there....well regarding the universities, I think USC is very safe, gatech shld be mod, so I think u can apply to ETH.

Regarding the individual comparison b/w these two, I can't exactly say about the course structure, research and brand name better for ETH, rest costs etc are more or less same, Application fee is way higher in ETH (110 swiff francs + It also asks GRE TOEFL scores =~ 135 USD), while EPFL is 40 Swiss francs only....Dunno about chances of admit now (considering the 2nd phase in EPFL), but earlier it wld hv been EPFL >> ETH.

Regarding schol, etc....I wld say chances of getting schol anywhere are directly proportional to your profile, over which the chances of admit also depends.....Put simply, chances of schol = K x Chances of admit (where K is a constant <1)....The schols available wld be more or less the same for both of them.

Thanks a lot for the wishful thinking Smile Smile....Though i hv selected publications....I lack behind you guys in undergrad grades....Vishwas T V being ahead here....he also has work ex behind his profile....while you hv better test scores than both of us.

Yeah It would be great for all to get selected Smile

UCSB has a quarter system, meaning what we do in 2.5-3 months is what other people do in a semester...which means a hell of a workload....which means I am usually very busy.

So I discourage profile evaluations...in case u are in ECE, I might reply after a week...and in case u are not in ECE, I wont bother.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2009 06:25 PM by manik_nsit.)
01-22-2009 06:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Lets just pray Smile No comparisons Smile Dunno what the admission committee is looking for...

Hope all of us get admits

01-22-2009 06:45 PM
vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

@ Manik

Thanks a lot for helping me decide.

Maybe the right thing to do would be to apply for ETH (if possible.. 135$ is some money) and apply to EPFL only by late Feb (incase Delft says no)

But 1 more question:
If you get admits from both Delft and ETH, where would you go ?
where are chances of admit higher, Delft or ETH?
Till when will you be applying to ETH ?

@vishwastv:
I really didn't want to compare, but just that the profiles looked similar.
Best luck for all !! and yeah, lets pray for all to get good admits !!

01-22-2009 06:53 PM
Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

135 $ for ETH application form? too much ......

@VLSI_DON,

I have sent a private message regarding my interests... thot its better to send message Smile
And no issues with comparisons.. casually said Smile

@manik, yea. even I am curious to know where you would go if admits from ETH and Delft.....

01-22-2009 07:02 PM
manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

(01-22-2009 06:53 PM)vlsi_don Wrote:  @ Manik
Thanks a lot for helping me decide.
Maybe the right thing to do would be to apply for ETH (if possible.. 135$ is some money) and apply to EPFL only by late Feb (incase Delft says no)
But 1 more question:
If you get admits from both Delft and ETH, where would you go ?
where are chances of admit higher, Delft or ETH?
Till when will you be applying to ETH ?

Yeah you can do that...Apply to ETH now, and incase TU delft or some US ones give out a reject, Apply to EPFL in the 2nd part.

(01-22-2009 07:02 PM)vishwastv Wrote:  135 $ for ETH application form? too much ......

You got me wrong here dude....110 swiss francs for application form which is equal to 95-100 US $ (1 Swiss franc = 44 rupees).....Plus 37 USD (17 for TOEFL and 20 for GRE)....so in all 135-140 USD for ETH, while only 35 USD for EPFL (40 swiss francs application fees...no GRE TOEFL)

(01-22-2009 07:02 PM)vishwastv Wrote:  @manik, yea. even I am curious to know where you would go if admits from ETH and Delft.....

Tricky Question....I would say TU DELFT....Its microelectronics course is awesome....Exactly what I am looking for....Analog Circuits Design....ETH doesnt offer a complete course on this directly....In fact, I wl chuck out even couple of US biggies in case I hv an admit from TU DELFT and they US ones carry no schols (which is highly excepted...Even getting an admit wld be big)....3 colleges where I wont look back in case I hv an admit from are Gatech, TAMU, and TUDelft...I hv applied in all of these form Analog and circuit design courses.

Do not frame ur decisions based on my views is all I wld add....I am nuts for courses fully based on Analog designing....not hving few credits and courses on them.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2009 09:34 PM by manik_nsit.)
01-22-2009 09:32 PM
Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Evergreen Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Hmmm... interesting...

And that 135$ , I meant for the whole process only.... I paid 112$ (overall including app and GRE, TOEFL)for UT Austin and thought its too much.. So, said... ETH is even costlier.

"Do not frame ur decisions based on my views is all I wld add...."
Do not fear this Smile Nobody should take decisions based on others opinions. And even if they do, don't bother Smile they are not sensible thinkers......

01-22-2009 11:38 PM
vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

vlsi_don Offline
Edulix Active Member

Quote:Do not frame ur decisions based on my views is all I wld add....I am nuts for courses fully based on Analog designing....not hving few credits and courses on them.

Don't worry dude.. Only we ourselves are responsible for our applications, no one else.

I just wanted to know the quality of teaching & R&D at Swiss universities. Just that I have no seniors there. Also, very less information available on Edulix.

I'll probably rethink my decision to apply to ETH. Do they have any rolling application process ?Or do they start all evaluations only after deadline?
In short, Is there any advantage of applying early to ETH ? or disadvantage of applying just before deadline ?
I need some time to go through their course offering and convince my parents to put in more money..

Thanks anyways for all the info !!

Cheers,
vlsi_don

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2009 11:02 PM by vlsi_don.)
01-23-2009 10:57 PM
manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

manik_nsit Offline
Edulix Active Member

(01-23-2009 10:57 PM)vlsi_don Wrote:  
Quote:Do not frame ur decisions based on my views is all I wld add....I am nuts for courses fully based on Analog designing....not hving few credits and courses on them.

Don't worry dude.. Only we ourselves are responsible for our applications, no one else.

I am not worrying here dude....As you had asked me of my preference, I was just replying that the reason for my preferred choice need not be same or each and every applicant....So its better that you are thinking of reviewing the courses before making the decision.

(01-23-2009 10:57 PM)vlsi_don Wrote:  I just wanted to know the quality of teaching & R&D at Swiss universities. Just that I have no seniors there. Also, very less information available on Edulix.

I hv no idea about teaching, but yeah the research work and facilities are gr8 and can be easily compared with US universities....In fact, ETH shld be more research oriented than an average US university...Ditto for TU Delft...no idea about other Swiss universities.

(01-23-2009 10:57 PM)vlsi_don Wrote:  I'll probably rethink my decision to apply to ETH. Do they have any rolling application process ?Or do they start all evaluations only after deadline?
In short, Is there any advantage of applying early to ETH ? or disadvantage of applying just before deadline ? I need some time to go through their course offering and convince my parents to put in more money..

No idea about ETH system....EPFL doesnt hv a rolling system....cos on their website it was stated that decisions for the first phase wl be out by Feb-mid....If you also feel like me that the application fees is quite high for ETH, then I think you shldnt apply there....Wait for your admits....In case there are string of rejects, apply to EPFL in the second phase...One thing to note, it makes sense that EPFL hld be having rolling system in 2nd phase...So make sure ur application reaches there in the first week itself (in case u plan to apply there)

Best of luck in your decision and results....I would state one more thing....I believe USC wld be sureshot for you, so dont bother urself these days for another univ...wait and then in case plans go wrong, apply to EPFL.

01-24-2009 10:52 AM
lina927 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

lina927 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 1
ETH is probably the BEST in EUROPE for many departments. Its a very well known university, and had about 25+ Nobel laureates as faculty till now.

01-28-2009 07:02 PM
chintan09 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

chintan09 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Nice discussion, about EPFL vs ETH.
But when I applied for MS - Communication systems, I found variety of courses at EPFL compared to ETH. And also research wise found many diverse areas at EPFL.

What I was under impression that ETH is good for basic sciences, and for Engineering and Applied science EPFL is as good as ETH.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
02-05-2009 03:02 PM
charliepaul Offline
New Edulixian

charliepaul Offline
New Edulixian

Hello Evals,

Please evaluate my profile for the following applications:

1. Texas A&M -College Station
2. IOWA state Univ
3. Colarado school of Mines
3. RWTH Aachen, Germany
4. TU Darmstadt, Germany
5. TU Munich, Germany.
6. TU Delft,
7. ETH Zurich
My first and foremost priority is to apply to ETH Zurich.

I am planning for MS (FALL 2012) in Energy Systems/Power Systems.
My profile
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=139372

I have a few queries too.
1. I have not taken my TOEFL yet but without TOEFL score gonna apply to ETH Zurich. for other univ will take TOEFL later. Please clarify whether is it possible to apply to ETH Zurich without TOEFl score because in their website they have exempted students who have done their bachelors from English medium.
2. The total cost( tuition,accomdation, food etc) comes to around 24 lakhs for ETh Zurich as per the details given in their site. Is it possible to get scholarship or any funding possi??
Kindly suggest any other top ranking universities in the above field.

Please advice me seniors

anubhavinsync
Popkatapetapotapultis
praxair1
lina927
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2011 10:53 AM by charliepaul.)
10-28-2011 09:29 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread