mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 20
Unisearch: Link
MIS Universities Compilation and A vs B comparisons
Hola people,

I have tried to consolidate MIS and related programs offering universities from US.
You can find details of them required for your Application procedures in the below link.

BEFORE APPLYING

MIS Universities list Compilation Updated (2013)

MIS Universities list Compilation for Fall 2012

The above data was gathered by Havsauthority, The_Mentalist, Terror_V, Pursue_MSINMIS and sanketk

There was a similar thread like this for Fall 11 by ALLizzwell. You can have a look at it too, lot of information in there.
Also, I found this long lost thread with views from our seniors: http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=91560 If it helps!

POST RESULTS

And if you are probable wondering and confused about deciding your university after admits,
some of the threads here might be helpful... MIS universities the versus comparisons - compilation

EDIT: Due to the recent thrashing of the sheet and some of the users misusing the freedom of editing, I have Closed the sheet for editing by anybody who opens the doc. Please PM me or Terror_V for any update or changes.

Cheers!

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 05:14 PM by KingJames.)
09-30-2011 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Mitts_Ms Offline
Edulix Active Member

Mitts_Ms Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 40
RE: List of Universities for MS MIS - Fall 2012
Thanks Smile

10-02-2011 02:21 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Make the title of the thread more coherent and let me know if you want it stuck.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
10-02-2011 07:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

RE: MIS Universities Fall 2012 - Application Requirements and Deadlines
Yes you may, The_Observer.
Thanks!

10-02-2011 09:42 PM
rohitgupta7389 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

rohitgupta7389 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
Thanks buddy!

This is really helpful and hoping for more information from your side on the university list, SOP info and I20 amount soon.

Regards,
Rohit

10-02-2011 09:43 PM
humanethb Offline
New Edulixian

humanethb Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 2
Really helpful!. Thanks @mirthychaos.

10-02-2011 11:29 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Thread stuck, and post title updated as well, if you don't mind me doing that. Smile

PS: mirthychaos: I'm just going through the names of the univs on that sheet, nothing else, and there are some modifications needed. For example, the MIS program you're talking about at the Univ of Nebraska is offered not the main campus in Lincoln, but at the univ in Omaha - your spreadsheet needs to update that. Similarly, the MSIS program in Maryland is offered by the University of Maryland at Baltimore County (UMBC), the Univ of Maryland at Baltimore (UMB) is a whole different school which does NOT have an IS program. Also, you haven't included many univs that offer MIS-type courses, for example the 2 programs offered by the Univ of Maryland at their main campus in College Park. And since it's impossible for any one person to know about and compile such an exhaustive list, let the effort be distributed (or crowd-sourced as Edulix's motto says). So, I'd recommend opening up the doc to public editing, after having regular and complete backups from time to time.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2011 05:13 AM by The_Observer.)
10-03-2011 04:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

RE: MIS Universities Fall 2012 - Compilation of Application Requirements and Deadlines
Whatever and however it caters and helps the community, I am all okay with it Smile

The_Observer: I have updated some of the changes, you mentioned. About adding more universities, it is still in the process as I have been accumulating the data. As recommended, I will open it up for public editing after adding few more columns. I did not do it earlier thinking maybe the changes might affect the list adversely and also since I hadn't taken the backup at that time. Thanks, very helpful PS Very Happy

10-03-2011 09:21 AM
vaitheez Offline
Edulix Frequent User

vaitheez Offline
Edulix Frequent User

RE: MIS Universities Fall 2012 - Compilation of Application Requirements and Deadlines
mirthychaos it is so helpful !!

Have started my contribution
Thought of having new columns

1. GRE College code
2. TOEFL College code
3. Whether packets need to be send for completing application?
4. Whether financial docs need to be send along with application?

Friends, what are your thoughts on this?

--
10-04-2011 04:01 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Good idea, vaitheez. As long as you make sure someone among you helps her out in this effort. It's not fair for any one person to be doing all this, or for any one of us to expect this from anyone else.

PS: Some more modifications needed: UF is at "Gainesville", correct the spelling of the place there, and add UNC Charlotte's MS in IT and UMCP's MSIS programs to the list.

10-04-2011 07:49 AM
mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

vaitheez, Good idea, chip it in with whatever details you got Smile

The_Observer, is done getting info about the 2 schools you mentioned, will be updating it by evening.

10-04-2011 12:28 PM
darktangent69 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

darktangent69 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Guys,

I have created an excel file for spring 2012 MIS...nd uploaded

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c4133bc/...ufique.xls

It might help ...Smile
10-04-2011 01:31 PM
vaitheez Offline
Edulix Frequent User

vaitheez Offline
Edulix Frequent User

darktangent69 - It did help. Thank you bud !!

mirthychaos and @The_Observer - That is welcoming !! Also,have been updating , please feel free to modify the column names.

One more thought is, to make the excel file as comphrensive MIS university details. Accordingly, make the sheet name as Fall-2012. mirthychaos/the_observer, you can take a call on this.

I will take backup each day, to make sure, we dont lose vital information.

--
10-04-2011 04:09 PM
mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

I have added few more universities, might lack some of the details in some of them, will be updated soon or you can do it.

vaitheez, You don't have to worry about backup, I am taking care of that. But I guess, one more person having the data would save an unfortunate bad day. So, be it, you do too! About making it fall 2012, for now, we will let that be. Once our season is done, sheets can be just added with the semester year update

10-04-2011 11:57 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

vaitheez, mirthychaos, darktangent69 and others: This is your list, your idea, hence your efforts must go into it, not mine. I'm not pushing anything on you, but since you all have taken the initiative, the right to run along with it is also solely yours, not mine. I am here only to point out a few mistakes/modifications encountered (though there aren't a very many of them, which is commendable), and to offer you any support on the infrastructure/opinions side. At the same time, I am no expert on anything, and most of my info is (obviously) second-hand and based on disparate sources, some on Edulix and some off it. In any case, if you need to get something clarified, IMHO this might turn out to be a decent enough order of getting the required information: univ/department/program website, Edulix seniors and univ-specific threads, other seniors off Edulix. Also, all this should be done by you all, either by one person alone (not recommended at all) or by dividing up your efforts & assigning tasks. That way, you'll not only co-ordinate with your own batchmates, but also seniors in different schools. And trust me, this kind of networking immensely helps, right from the get-go. And even if it wouldn't help in any material way, there's the part about it being some kind of mental support for you, more so if you've never stayed alone/away from your families.

And yes, I'm not gonna be making any calls here unless there's a grave need to. In any case, you should be able to handle it yourself, but in case you aren't, for any reason, contact the moderators of this forum before anyone else, they're very helpful folks, each of them and mmar and the guys would definitely sort your problems out. If they cannot, ask me if need be. So, how many backups to take, when, and who should take them, is you folks' call.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2011 07:35 AM by The_Observer.)
10-05-2011 07:33 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread