EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.86 Average
How to Plan your Application Season
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Likes Given: 187
Unisearch: Link
How to Plan your Application Season
The art of time management comes from meticulous planning and careful execution of the planned task. This becomes all the more critical when it comes to planning your application season interspersed with all the procedures involved in it.

Now that there are many fall 13/spring 13 folks hitting the forum, I just thought of sharing the strategy ( if one may call it ) for the planning of the exams, subsequent procedures that are needed to be followed for a successful application season and subsequent admit season.

If you are reading this, you have taken a correct decision at a critical point in your life by joining the Edulix family. Read this to understand how Edulix is a store house of information.

For some of the UG Students in India, the thought of planning their process for their Masters Study is itself a daunting task or at least it is perceived to be so. Sadly what they miss out is how to prepare for their exams, take up GRE TOEFL, IELTS etc, short listing Univ’s for their profile, manage applications themselves and the post admit scenarios.

The following time frame for planning can help to serve as a pointer for those who have just joined Edulix and are already worried about the entire scheme of things.

Quote:GRE and TOEFL/IELTS Preparation:

1) Start your GRE preparation around 1.5 years ahead of your intended term of enrollment. i.e If you are targeting fall 2013, start preparing for your GRE from the month of March/April of the previous year. Preparation is solely based on your discretion and if you feel that you are an able student with a good grasp of your vocabulary and a strong foundation in mathematics, then you can manage on your own. For initial pointers you can look into Revised GRE Preparations. You may also check the GRE/TOEFL/GMAT/IELTS Mega Sticky. For others if you feel you need that little bit of coaching to enhance your traits in these domains, you can take up classes.

2) Once you start your preparation, give a minimum of 3-4 months before you book your exam date. After all, GRE is not just an important exam but also your 10K INR from your pocket. So, act responsibly and think that there is NO second chance. Only by thinking this way, you will have that inner sense to give your best shot that will hit the bull’s eye in the first attempt.

3) So, once you are confident enough about your preparation ( I am NOT going to talk in detail about your preparation as you will find plenty of threads that will help you in Edulix ) you can start to hunt for dates for GRE and TOEFL/IELTS around June, July and August ( Not beyond that )

It mite appear strange that I suggest you to finish off your exams before August itself but there is a reason behind it and you will know that as you scroll down.

Quote:SCORE RECIPIENTS:

1) You can send your GRE Scores to 4 free recipients after your exam and the same procedure is followed for TOEFL but is before your Exam.

2) Hence, what we suggest you to do is to create a Profile evaluation thread as soon as you get your GRE Score and start getting your profile evaluated.

3) Assuming you will be writing TOEFL after your GRE, after your initial round of evaluations, you can select the 4 Universities for which you are going to definitely apply and send your TOEFL scores to them.

4) This will help you save money in case you send your scores to some Univ and you decide that you are not going to apply there due to some reasons or the other.

Quote:Time Duration for ETS to send your GRE and TOEFL Scores:

1) Applying early has its own share of positives and you will get to know when you get your scores delivered to the respective Univ’s in 3 to 4 days whereas during the Business time of the season ( November and December ) it will take close to 15 working days.

2) To make sure that this delay doesn’t panic you due to approaching deadlines, it is always recommended to send your scores immediately after you have decided to apply to a University.

3) Many commit the mistake of sending the score along with or after their application has been submitted which isn’t recommended as it cause inevitable delays in delivering and subsequent processing.

Quote:The Application Season:

1) As you have completed your GRE and TOEFL/IELTS by August end ( For profile building use threads in Edulix-There are many for that), you will be knowing your scores (TOEFL and AWA ) before the 1st week of September. If you are an MIS aspirant, don't miss out on reading the MIS Mega Sticky that will be an eye opener for you.

2) Now comes the profile evaluation part. Create infobank and get your profile evaluated at Edulix by the seniors in your domain by referring PE Guide. While searching the Univ's for your criteria, you can also check about the Deadlines and Intakes for them. See the Initial University Selection for all streams to get an idea.

3) By the time you do research on the Univ’s in the forum on various topics, your programs, cost of attendance, Location for Jobs, intern, financial aids/waiver, TA, RA etc the time line would be closing in on you. The Engg and Sciences aspirants can look into the E&S Sticky to explore in details about some generic queries.

4) This entire process of finding out the Univ’s also includes your interactions with the current seniors in the respective Univ’s and getting first hand opinion about the places that you want to invest your career in.

5) This, along with the documents in the form of SOP’s for each University, Prof. Letting ( If needed ),LOR's and other basic paperwork in the form of getting Transcripts will consume easily 1.5 months.

6) So, by the time you are ready with the places that you want to apply with all supporting documents, it is going to be October mid.

7) Once you have everything ready, its just the click of your mouse button. (Don’t assume that its going to be as simple as that ) You will be facing many hurdles en-route to seeing your Application status completed and you need to spend time on the forum clearing your doubts in your application specific queries thread.

8) Some Universities have a completely online procedure that must be followed whereas others ask you to submit the online application and also send supporting documents to them. You can get the best deals by using Edulix Express service for your packets. To know about the application packets for various see the Application Packets thread.

9) So, IMO try to submit all the applications by October End. Believe me that will put you in a place that will really help in getting a positive decision being an early bird with your apps in even some AMBI shots.

10) Applying early has got lots of advantages and you will get to know them once your peers start posting queries on “Status Pendings “ during Thanksgiving and the following Christmas/new year breaks. After you get exhausted with this application process, take a well deserved break from Dec-Feb (where there is a lull in the decisions- I am NOT talking about rolling admits here.

11) Once, you start getting your admits, the subsequent concerns will automatically lead you to managing your finances and visa preparations for which there are numerous threads to guide you in Edulix.

This is just my perspective on how one can (And NOT on how one MUST) plan his/her application season to be a strong contender for a ticket to their Dream University.

Now, let me summarize the discussions so far. The following compilation has been done by pramod.natraj pertaining to this topic.
Quote:Admission Activity
1. By Sept 30,2011
GRE and TOEFL Tests

2. Oct 15,2011
Select Universities - Do Research to pick universities and finalize 5 or 6 unniversities to apply.
Apply for UG transcripts

3. Nov 10,2011
Fill University Online Applications,Prepare Application Materials: SOP, Recos,Transcripts, Bank Statements etc.

4. Nov 20, 2011
Send Application Packet

5. December 15th 2011
Follow up with universities to check if your GRE,TOEFL score and application
packet has been received and application is under processing

6. Jan-March 2012
You will get admissions by end of Feb or March 2012

7. April 2012
Submit financial docs to receive i20.(Universities for which you have not
submitted financial documents during application)

8. April-May2012
Apply for Educational Loan after receiving your i20(If required)

9. June 2012
Attend Visa Interview

10. July 2012
Shopping and travelling

11. Aug 2012
The Journey Begins

Other points to note:
1. There are some Indian organizations that provide scholarships(JN TATA scholarships, BPCL, AGA Khan Foundations, and many others). Please look into it and make sure you dont miss the deadline
2. In case you are applying for educational loan you will need collateral(property). I would suggest in the month of Jan 2012 to get all your property docs checked so that it is proper and you will not have problem during the month of May.

P.S: I did this because I felt that these are the common questions regarding how to plan things and what things to do when and in what order they must be done. I have got answers for them from my own experience and also some referring work.

P.P.S: Attached a flowchart which consolidates the important points in the process. Also refer post #3 in this thread which has many links to solve some generic queries.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

~Back to work~Expect a delayed response to my tags/PM's.

I may not subscribe to threads. Tag me using @[Dark Knight] to get my attention.

Post all IE specific queries here. Please read the first post for various specializations and Information on IE at different Univ's. All about Georgia Tech here.

Profile || My VI || Planning your application season || How to Create an Infobank
Profile Evaluation Guide || University Selection for all Streams

The Knight has risen beyond expectations...."Deshay Deshay Bashara Bashara "...
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2012 08:21 PM by Dark Knight.)
01-02-2012 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Hellz Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Hellz Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 13
RE: How to Plan your Application Season
Vijay90

Great post!! Cool

I have a few additions if i may.

1. Most juniors dont know that you can select upto 4 universities to send your scores for free. Now i personally have wasted money by selecting univs where i dont stand a chance or has a crappy course curriculum and not applying later. However PE's cannot evaluate before one gets GRE scores. So i feel that a new applicant should start a PE thread as soon as he gives his GRE. That way, he can atleast save some cash by choosing proper univs which match with his/her interests for Toefl. Moreover it eases up the application process.

2. This one is about score reporting. Some or rather most universities take time to update your records and ETS too has been known to deliver erratically. In order to prevent this, i suggest all prospective applicants to decide on the final list of universities and send their scores first before starting to apply.
*Note - This wont have an effect on people applying early. People who are a bit late can do this.

If i get any more suggestions, i will add them in due course.

P.S - Btw vijay90, when you have time include links to imp stickied threads in the forums in your post. That way, it would serve as a one stop destination/post for new applicants. Something akin to Suraj's compilation thread on PE's and rules.

Arizona State University
No profile evaluationss, Tag me for ASU related Queries and more specifically EE (Sig Pro and VLSI) related Queries! No Idea about Research at ASU

01-02-2012 10:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gre_aks Offline
Edulix Active Member

gre_aks Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 9
Here is a list of consolidated threads which helped me during my application process.I will add more links in due time.

Links for application processes

Step by step application process-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18190
Complete guide for applying to MS-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.p...689&page=1
Application procedures of different universities-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=63682
Some useful tips before applying, application and after applying-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=64343

Important SOP and LOR threads-:

Most important thread for writing a sop-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=93859
Recommendation letters -:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.p...dation%29#
Famous thread of POPEYE on sop, lor, bank letters-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15985
Important link for sop, lor-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=75103

Transcript Related Links

What is/are transcripts?
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=96869
Transcript Confusions-Q&A-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=75594
How to get Transcripts Internationally evaluated-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=65358
Unofficial and official transcripts-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=102739
University vs. College Transcripts-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=105928
Transcripts Procedure/Queries - Indian Universities-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=107104
Stamping the envelopes, Transcript format-:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=44798
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=100471
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1246
For Sample format …GOOGLE it!!!

Also ,this is my 100th post RazzRazz
PS-:Please let me know if any link is not working and lemme know if any more links needs to be added.Very Happy

Infobank

UIC UF USF UC Eller Kelley CMU

If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2012 11:59 AM by gre_aks.)
01-03-2012 01:14 PM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Hellz: Thanks and updated with the details.

gre_aks: We can use this thread to have a compilation of sorts that will guide the newbies as they hit the forum. But you can remove your Miscellaneous important threads as we already have stickies for them. Also, your 1st link isn't working.

greprepin: Just see if you can sticky this. I will update the first post with necessary links as and when I get time to do so.

I may not subscribe to threads. Tag me using @[Dark Knight] to get my attention.

Post all IE specific queries here. Please read the first post for various specializations and Information on IE at different Univ's. All about Georgia Tech here.

Profile || My VI || Planning your application season || How to Create an Infobank

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 06:11 PM by Dark Knight.)
01-03-2012 06:11 PM
greprepin Offline
Moderator Emeritus

greprepin Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 14
Dark Knight: yes we can sticky this once we have all the details in. Also I would suggest writing it point-wise instead of long sentences Smile, not sure if some people bother reading long posts Laughing. But its just my initial thought.

If you want me to post/reply, use @[greprepin], will reply if I have anything to add. ECE Evals only!

My Profile | My VI | PE Guide | GRE/TOEFL Univ Codes | University Selection | App Specific Queries Index | ECE Publications | Indian Univ Transcripts | Decision Notifications | Decision Tracker | VI Fall 2012 |

HOPE
01-04-2012 12:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

greprepin: Yes, that's what I told that I will be updating this post. I will add all the relevant links and make it more user friendly to read Laughing

01-04-2012 08:50 AM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

greprepinand Hellz: I have updated the post and tried to include the important links. At present I think it can be made as a sticky in the Engg and Sciences Forum.

Also, I have added an image file of a flowchart that gives the process outline.( see the last line attachment ) However I wanted to know whether it is possible to show it expanded inside the post itself? I tried some options but it doesn't show the entire image. Any help in this regard ?

P.S: Will continue to refine the post and make it more readable. I still have many links to incorporate.

01-04-2012 06:44 PM
greprepin Offline
Moderator Emeritus

greprepin Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 14
Moved to E&S 2012 and thread stuck. Will add in more points here when I find time Smile.

If you want me to post/reply, use @[greprepin], will reply if I have anything to add. ECE Evals only!

My Profile | My VI | PE Guide | GRE/TOEFL Univ Codes | University Selection | App Specific Queries Index | ECE Publications | Indian Univ Transcripts | Decision Notifications | Decision Tracker | VI Fall 2012 |

HOPE
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2012 10:57 AM by greprepin.)
01-06-2012 10:53 AM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Sure greprepin, We will make it a one stop place for A to Z on how to plan things for your Masters dream. I will also fine tune the post and update the links.

01-06-2012 10:56 AM
gre_aks Offline
Edulix Active Member

gre_aks Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 9
greprepin Dark Knight
Updated my post .let me know in case of any issue!!

Infobank

UIC UF USF UC Eller Kelley CMU

If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
01-06-2012 12:01 PM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

gre_aks: This is fine. I will also add a note in my first post regarding this.

01-06-2012 12:50 PM
Pursue_MSINMIS Away
Edulix Senior Member

Pursue_MSINMIS Away
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 7
Hey Guys Smile

I've borrowed ur ideas and added it to my blog Very Happy Just to make sure that even MS aspirants outside of Edulix know about the whole process and at the same time, make people more aware of Edulix Smile

U can check it out here. Let me know if I missed out on any of your points mentioned above Smile

Dark Knight and gre_aks : great work guys!!! amazing post Smile

Just getting back to Edulix. Will respond to messages/tags as quickly as I can. Please tag other evaluators for a faster response

VI Experience

Financial Aid Sticky ||VISA AND IMMIGRATION MEGA STICKY || One-stop guide for Students going to the US || One Stop MIS Shop
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 09:52 PM by Pursue_MSINMIS.)
01-12-2012 09:51 PM
The Inspector Offline

The Inspector Offline

Likes Given: 35
Pursue_MSINMIS
Hey did you get permission from Dark Knight and other before posting in your blog , if yes then its fine. If no then you should always take permission from the user who has posted here before posting in your blog.

My Infobank | PROFILE EVAL GUIDE | I do evaluate profiles MS in Petroleum Engineering US universities | Please don't tag me in F 1 visa queries | Tag me to get my attention .
01-13-2012 04:12 AM
Kite Runner Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Kite Runner Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 5
Also you must give credits in your blog post to the original author.

To busy in grad life. Miss edulix :[
01-13-2012 04:16 AM
Pursue_MSINMIS Away
Edulix Senior Member

Pursue_MSINMIS Away
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 7
(01-13-2012 04:12 AM)The Inspector Wrote:  @[Pursue_MSINMIS]
Hey did you get permission from Dark Knight and other before posting in your blog , if yes then its fine. If no then you should always take permission from the user who has posted here before posting in your blog.

Yep Smile I did do that Smile
(01-13-2012 04:16 AM)Kite Runner Wrote:  Also you must give credits in your blog post to the original author.

And there would be no mention there in the blog because no body there would actually know us by our Edulix names right? Smile anyways, I am sure they would know about the authors as soon as they hit the links given there Smile Cool

Just getting back to Edulix. Will respond to messages/tags as quickly as I can. Please tag other evaluators for a faster response

VI Experience

Financial Aid Sticky ||VISA AND IMMIGRATION MEGA STICKY || One-stop guide for Students going to the US || One Stop MIS Shop
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2012 09:03 AM by Pursue_MSINMIS.)
01-13-2012 09:01 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread