How to get part time jobs in the US - Simple yet effective steps
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
How to get part time jobs in the US - Simple yet effective steps
Most under-rated aspect of masters life is part time. Nobody talks about it but yet some struggle to get one. This thread is to help young grads to get jobs easily based on my exp here in US.

What is the present on-campus job scenario at US of A ?

On-campus job scenario is pretty descent. It all depends on the number of admits they give every year and competition for jobs. And also the univ plays an imp role. Univs like ASU, UTD where the admits come in lorries, competition is bit tough. On the other hand places like WSU and other univs, it might be a bit easier. Basically lets take the worst case and see how we can optimize our chances

There are a few golden rules many people fail to observe.

I dont think young grads pay much attention and just expect the part time job to be given as a bday present.
I am firm believer that part time job earned by merit gives you more pride than by referral. (Although I would not say no to referral). Reach out for referrals but dont pester the seniors too much. Just put in a nice way instead of demanding. Commonly available part time jobs are

1. Event Assistant.
2. Front Office Assistant.
3. Back Office Assistant.
4. Web developer.
5. Food court jobs.
6. Grader job.
7. Other Univ related jobs

Here are the golden rules to help you fetch a job -

1. I have attached a good sample of part time resume in the end of this post. Important thing to note is without changing the content ( Just change the personal information like address, email, phone and UG college name). It is best to retain the other content as most of of the success stories related to this resume. Some of that experiences might be fake. But it is a must to get a part time job. We all have the qualifications , but we need to word it that way Smile

2. Never include technical projects for part time jobs. Half of the people wont understand it.

3. Always attach a copy of schedule of when you are available. (Not a schedule of classes). They need the hours when you are free. Something like a tabular column would be great as a separate pdf attachment in you email. Use days as columns and time as rows and put a cross in the cells when you are available.

4. Resume should be only in PDF as it looks professional in that format.

5. Apply for all campuses for the univs. lot of people select only main campus. If ur univ has only one campus ignore this point.

6. The most under-rated job is GRADER job. Nobody posts it. The thing you need to do is, individually apply to professors who take the courses. Be careful while applying, cause the courses you end up grading cannot be taken in future semesters. Do not apply to courses you think you might take in future. For this modify resume slightly more technical.

7. The key to get part time job is to apply in the job portals ( for eg ASU has https://students.asu.edu/employment/search) on a consistent basis. Without worrying about rejects just apply without getting tired. You might end up in a job u might have never never even imagined. Search for ur job portal and start applying 15 days before you leave India.

8. Name of file names atatched should always be
first name_lastname_resume or
first name_lastname_availability .
Dont give crappy file names. Straight reject.

9. Network as much as possible within seniors. Some of them might be graduating and hence might leave job. You can fill their role if they put in word. But for that you need to let the whole world and campus know that you require part time. As I said dont make it too annoying for the seniors, they know you will ask. But ask it in a sugar - coated fashion Smile

10. Body of part time email should be like this

Date: 07/16/2010
From,
Name
Graduate Student
Department of Electrical Engineering
Arizona State University Tempe, Arizona
Sub : Student Office Assistant Job ID: 54365

I am a Graduate student in the Department of Electrical Engineering seeking the post of Student Office Assistant Job. I have excellent communication and written skills. I have excellent basic office skills and experience with working in an office environment and available to work through the summer. I sincerely hope that I am the ideal candidate you are looking forward to hiring for this job or any other opening in your department. Attached is my resume for your review and consideration. Looking forward to an interview call and to be part of your team.
Availability: Summer : All days ( all time)
Thank You
Name

Resume attached should look like this

Name
College ID
Address line 1
email id
Address line 2
Phone number

OBJECTIVE
To obtain a position that will enable me to use my strong organizational skills, educational background and ability to work well with people

EDUCATION
• Master of Science Engineering, Electrical engineering, Ira A. Fulton school of Engineering, Arizona state University.
Expected graduation: May 2012
• Bachelor of Engineering, Electronics and Communication, Charotar Institute of Technology, India. Graduated: May 2009

TECHNICAL SKILLS
Programming C, C++, VB, SQL
Technical software MATLAB, PSPICE
Operating systems Windows 95/98/2000/XP, Vista, 7, DOS, Mac OSX
Application software Ms Excel, Ms PowerPoint, Ms Access, Ms Word, Adobe Photoshop,
Macromedia Flash, Dreamweaver, Outlook, AUTOCAD.

WORK EXPERIENCES:
• Back Office Assistant for sports committee, Charotar Institute of Technology, Changa.
Provided customer service to visitors and students as well as provided clerical support including answering phones, filing, copying, faxing and processing documents and maintaining excel and database files.
• Computer Support Assistant the Computer Center, Charotar Institute of Technology, Changa.
Provide help desk support both on the phone and in person in a professional manner. Assist walk-in customers with general IT issues such as laptop support, network configuration, and printing. Maintain stock in computer labs and surrounding areas. Perform stock inventories and place inventory deliveries in proper storage locations when delivered.
• Front Office Assistant for the Dean of Student Affairs, Charotar Institute of Technology, Changa.
Organizing data/files, data entry, data validation, typing documents, filing documents, Xeroxing, answering phones, assist with special projects and other miscellaneous duties
• Clerical Assistant for the cultural fest at Charotar Institute of Technology, Changa.
Performed duties such as labeling, sorting, data entry, researching of different types and transcription; typing forms/documents; performing a variety of word processing tasks on PC; sending faxes, filing, making photo copies, making deliveries; and related clerical duties as needed.
• Member of the literary and debating society at Charotar Institute of Technology, Changa.
Each week, members of the Society engage in spirited debate on matters ranging from current events to philosophy and law to humorous topics. Members frequently present original works of Literature and Poetry or give readings of the works of other authors

ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS:
• Scored 1330 GRE (Verbal 570, Quantitative: 760)
• Secured 86.0 % in (10th Grade) CBSE exams
• Secured 94.0 % in (12th Grade) HSC exams

CO CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
• Won 2nd prize in Joules, Energy saving contest, Sastra, Tanjore.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
• Was the House Captain and Cricket team Captain for my school
• Organized and participated in various technical events for my college
• Was a member of the school and college Cricket team
• Was elected as a Student Representative for my hostel

SPECIAL QUALITIES
focused flexible friendly self-confident
self-disciplined responsible optimistic punctual
modest efficient hard working results-oriented
systematic trustworthy ambitious devoted

Very very important point. Come to US early, like 23 to 27 days before the univ starts or so. (Rem you cannot come earlier than 1 month before your univ start date according to US immigration laws) Lot of success stories relate to ppl who come early. Forget the Karan Johar family sentiments and get ur act here early and be successful!!!!

If you follow all of the above points , you are 99% sure to land up in a descent job!!!! Smile
All d best \m/

Best regards,
The Illusionist
Known is a drop, unknown is an ocean!
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 07:34 PM by The_Observer.)
02-01-2012 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
avishnu89 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

avishnu89 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 5
RE: How to get part time jobs in US - Simple yet effective steps!!!!
Quote:Very very important point. Come to US early, like 23 to 27 days before the univ starts or so. (Rem you cannot come earlier than 1 month before your univ start date according to US immigration laws) Lot of success stories relate to ppl who come early. Forget the Karan Johar family sentiments and get ur act here early and be successful!!!!

Good point. You can search around for RA's also during this time.

I am not good at profile evaluations. Please read this thread and contact the appropriate senior.
All the Best.
Unisearch Link
MS ECE Georgia Tech (Graduated Fall 2012)
02-01-2012 09:59 AM
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

avishnu89

Good connection mate. That was my intention. Lot of success stories relate to people coming early. More chances. More opportunities!!!! Be it RA, TA, GA, part time

Best regards,
The Illusionist
02-01-2012 10:09 AM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Quote:3. Always attach a copy of schedule of when you are available. (Not a schedule of classes). They need the hours when you are free. Something like a tabular column would be great as a separate pdf attachment in you email. Use days as columns and time as rows and put a cross in the cells when you are available.

Including your schedule is a great idea. But, some people (like yours truly) might think that tables are too ungainly at times. Instead of making tables for everything or using them excessively, you can do something simpler, like this:

Times available to work:
Mon: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 6 PM - 9 PM
Tues: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wed: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM, except from 1-2 PM
Thur: 9:15 AM - 12.30 PM
Fri: 10:45 AM - 4.00 PM
Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM
Sun: 11 AM - 9 PM

You get the idea. It isn't always necessary to use tables. Use whatever you're comfortable with, but the main idea is to get the info across at a quick glance. If you want to not use tables, but want to present it in a better way, use tab stops, or use a table with invisible internal and external borders.

Quote:4. Resume should be only in PDF as it looks professional in that format.

True, but keep in mind, that the biggest mistake you can ever make is assuming that all printers would have similar margin settings. Meaning, if you do not set a standard margin of say 0.5 on each side, or set a margin of something less than that default value, the text outside of those margins might be cropped in the printout. Has happened to me before, that's why I'm telling this. It is a very easy mistake to make and overlook, but it will cost your dearly. Also, I'm telling you all to pay attention to the margin, and not the borders. There is no one consensus on whether a resume should be bordered or not, and if yes, then by which style. That's solely your call, but keep the border simple, don't have too much shading or formatting anywhere on your resume, including on the borders. Also keep in mind that most of your resumes would be printed out using B&W printers or ink, so the use of a variety of colors and/or effects is NOT recommended.

Quote:6. The most under-rated job is GRADER job. Nobody posts it. The thing you need to do is, individually apply to professors who take the courses. Be careful while applying, cause the courses you end up grading cannot be taken in future semesters. Do not apply to courses you think you might take in future. For this modify resume slightly more technical.

Not necessarily true, but I agree with the reasoning here. If you want to grade a course, on say Operating Systems, which you've already covered in your UG, if you get the grader position for a course at the level which you've already covered (either during your UG or during the MS, that doesn't really matter). Meaning, most univs have a system wherein the same course might have cross-enrollment of UG and grad students, but it would numbered differently for them (e.g. 3000/4000 level for UGs and 5000-7000 level for MS students, 8000-9000 level for PhD students). In such cases, in most univs, if you're yet to take the course at your current level of study, you will not be allowed to grade for that level (meaning, you can only grade an MS 5000 level course, if you've taken that same course or an equivalent course covering the same material at a minimum of 5000 level). If you haven't taken the 5000 level course on OSs in your MS yet, but have covered the OS course in your UG (which might be considered equal to a 4000 level course at your grad school), then you'd be allowed to grade only those students who're enrolled in the 4000 level section of the cross-enlisted course. Once you enroll for the 5000 level course and complete it with good grades (which for a grader position would mostly be a B+ if your school has +/- grades, or an A in other cases), then you might be allowed to grade the same course for both the 4000 and 5000 levels.

Quote:7. The key to get part time job is to apply in the job portals ( for eg ASU has https://students.asu.edu/employment/search) on a consistent basis. Without worrying about rejects just apply without getting tired. You might end up in a job u might have never never even imagined. Search for ur job portal and start applying 15 days before you leave India.

You would find such job portals because every univ in the US is required to have at least one such central jobs clearinghouse by federal law. Some department may have separate job boards of their own, and may or may not choose to post their vacancies on the central boards, but the site has to exist and each job opening has to be posted somewhere on some site (either the central one common to the entire univ or the department-specific one) where the public can access it - again, that's mandated by federal law.

Quote:8. Name of file names atatched should always be
first name_lastname_resume or
first name_lastname_availability .
Dont give crappy file names. Straight reject.

Very true. In addition, if you end up applying to the same job/department for different positions, or for the same position at different points of time, use "firstname_lastname_resume_month+year of the job posting or application" or "first name_last name_resume_position name or number". Also, spaces have been used here for the sake of clarity. Do NOT use spaces anywhere in any of the filenames you use. Most systems reject any and all characters that are after any type of whitespace (tab stop, space, carriage return, etc.). Again, I've learned this the hard way, by personal experience.

Quote:9. Network as much as possible within seniors. Some of them might be graduating and hence might leave job. You can fill their role if they put in word. But for that you need to let the whole world and campus know that you require part time. As I said dont make it too annoying for the seniors, they know you will ask. But ask it in a sugar - coated fashion

I beg to differ with the last part. Everyone has gone through the same process, so we all know that you want jobs and need us to refer you for them. We'll help you out too, but many people hate, loathe, detest and abhor ass-lickers. Sugar-coating and ass-kissing can only get you so far, and we all can see right through it. So, get to know the senior a bit first, instead of just going to some random senior and kissing his/her ass and making it very obvious. If you do not know him/her, get intro'd to the senior via someone else (preferably, another senior and his/her batchmate or friend) and say what you want up front. That would be a bit more appreciated, I think, than just indiscriminate ass-kissing (esp. if you're a guy and the senior in question is a girl).

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
02-01-2012 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

[The_Observer]

That's super critical analysis of what I wrote. Really appreciate it.
Here is my comments on your comments...

Quote 3 comment

You are right! Lot of people miss it. It can shown in tables or like how you said with spaces. Really does not matter but the crux of matter is the information should be sent! But yes Perfect....

Quote 4 comment

I was talking about emails and pdf attachment in it. Not hard copies. But you have given a great point wrt printers. Yes it is a problem many have faced. Good to take a printout heads up and see if everything has come out fine.

Quote 6 comment

"In such cases, in most univs, if you're yet to take the course at your current level of study, you will not be allowed to grade for that level (meaning, you can only grade an MS 5000 level course, if you've taken that same course or an equivalent course covering the same material at a minimum of 5000 level)."

Your logic is correct but that's not how many department's operate in most of the univs. I was allowed to grade subject Semiconductor characterization. I am not even remotely related to it. I have never taken it in UG or in masters. But I was allowed to grade. Hence we cannot say the department will stop you. Some Univs dont check the criteria, you have provided. The reason I had mentioned is because, people should not by accident, grade a course they havent taken. It is possible the department might overlook.

Quote 8 comment

Very good solid comment you have provided. Totally agree.

Quote 9 comment

Completely disagree with the interpretation my statement you have made and the comments henceforth.

Sugar coating is no where close to Ass licking!!! By the word sugar coating all I meant was don't directly go to the point when you approach a senior. They will start avoiding you.
As it says in this link
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sugarcoating

Talk for few mins pleasantly, build relationship and then ask for referrals.
I am sorry if you had interpreted it that way. It was not what was intended.
To quote my earlier line I had posted

"I am firm believer that part time job earned by merit gives you more pride than by referral. (Although I would not say no to referral). Reach out for referrals but dont pester the seniors too much. Just put in a nice way instead of demanding."

And yes Ass licking is the biggest annoying factor in masters. I am against it. In fact personally I hate to ask favor, like to trust myself more.

Best regards,
The Illusionist
02-01-2012 12:01 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Good to hear your response to mine Smile About the last part about ass-licking, yes, I probably interpreted your point wrongly, but again that's due to personal experience. Unfortunately, I find out every semester that the line between sugar-coating things and ass-kissing is often blurred especially by our fellow Indian students. And, while I wish this weren't true, the fact is that most people would not refer a qualified individual to a job they're leaving, if someone else approaches them who is from the same part of the country or speaks the same language (assuming that the junior isn't a friend or a friend-of-a-friend, and that the acquaintance is strictly need-based - for the junior, I mean).

About point #4, I know you were talking about soft copies. Go back and read what I wrote. I said, "Also keep in mind that most of your resumes would be printed out..." because that's what I've seen most managers do. It's way more convenient and simpler for people to print it off and look at the hard copy than to keep staring at pages and pages of resumes on the screen. If that does happen, and the printer is set to print with a certain margin and you haven't kept that in mind, guess what, *snip*.

About point #6, I gave that particular example just because of your statement, "Be careful while applying, cause the courses you end up grading cannot be taken in future semesters". I never said anything regarding if you can get TA/grader positions for courses you haven't studied. Now, while I do wholeheartedly agree with your statement, " people should not by accident, grade a course they havent taken", pray tell me where I have said something like the department would stop you from TAing/grading a course that you haven't ever attended.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
02-01-2012 09:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

To come of think of your interpretation of point 9. You are actually right. But yes, regionalism is very much prevelant in most cases. You know you ar e a better candidate but someone else gets referred because they speak the same language or come from same place... Now why didnt I think of that. Good point for juniors to take note.

Talk in English when you are in a group, esp when you are in group where people are from different parts of India.
Kinda looks rude when you talk in native lang, when other people cant understand....

Your point 4 comment , totally justified as you have said based on you personal exp. Best thing is to take a printout from pdf and see if all is good!

Coming to point 6, when you say
"In such cases, in most univs, if you're yet to take the course at your current level of study, you will not be allowed to grade for that level "

Who is going to stop me from grading? I assumed it to be department. Who according to you will stop me from grading is my question?

Best regards,
The Illusionist
02-01-2012 10:17 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Actually, my mistake for that last part, I should've made it clearer, that my emphasis was on the "In such cases, in most univs, if you're yet to take the course at your current level of study, you will not be allowed to grade for that level" latter part (formatted in bold), rather than this part: "In such cases, in most univs, if you're yet to take the course at your current level of study, you will not be allowed to grade for that level". I know tons of people who have TAed/graded stuff like stats, physics, chemistry, etc. even though they're from IT/CS/EE backgrounds, just on the basis of the fact that what most Indians would learn during grades 11 and 12, Americans learn in their freshman or sophomore years of college. Smile

02-01-2012 10:40 PM
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Excellent. Yes I get your point. I guess we learn most of the stuff in school.

Indain education is rock solid wrt school and UG. Hence the platform for MS is awesome. Transition is very smooth.

Abt stats, physics, chemistry, etc. .... These are the best fields to exploit for part time jobs for tutoring or getting GA and TA.
Juniors out there, go hunt for these departments. You might end up lucky. Again to stress the point, to improve your chances more, you need to go out there early.

Best regards,
The Illusionist
02-01-2012 10:52 PM
Jedi88 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Jedi88 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 38
The Illusionist and The_Observer,

Thanks a lot for this extremely informative post.
Excellent information and points about a topic on which there isn't much info available. ApplauseApplauseApplause
A must read for MS applicants like me. Very Happy
I would like to request the moderators to sticky this. Smile

Go ORANGE !
Syracuse University MS CE (Software) Fall 2012
My Profile | My VI
Tag me using @[Jedi88]
02-05-2012 12:52 PM
vraider Away
All Rounder of the Year

vraider Away
All Rounder of the Year

Likes Given: 35
Great work Illusionist and Observer, will be useful to all prospective applicants!ApplauseApplauseApplauseApplause

^My two cents .
Tis' been a while.

I dont do profile evals.
02-05-2012 02:11 PM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Likes Given: 187
Tagging Sherlock Holmes to see if we can sticky this wonderful work Smile I am not sure of where this thread should go but would be happy to sticky it wherever it gets maximum visibility.

~Back to work~Expect a delayed response to my tags/PM's.

I may not subscribe to threads. Tag me using @[Dark Knight] to get my attention.

Post all IE specific queries here. Please read the first post for various specializations and Information on IE at different Univ's. All about Georgia Tech here.

Profile || My VI || Planning your application season || How to Create an Infobank
Profile Evaluation Guide || University Selection for all Streams

The Knight has risen beyond expectations...."Deshay Deshay Bashara Bashara "...
02-05-2012 05:23 PM
harrypotin Offline
Edulix Active Member

harrypotin Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 16
Amazing informative thread!

Winter is coming!

Infobank
02-05-2012 05:27 PM
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Thank you all for your kind words.

I will soon be creating two more important threads,

1. Simple steps to get Full time in US. What is required from a student?
2. Sample Cover letter for interns and full time.

Let me know in advance where should I post this to get good visibility.
Really appreciate it! Thanks

Best regards,
The Illusionist
02-06-2012 01:47 AM
abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 11
Great work The Illusionist and good pointers by The_Observer Applause Applause

My Infobank
My VI
Boiler Up!
I can reply to the tags now. Please do not send personalized 'blogs' in the PM. Tag me, and I will reply as soon as I get time.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 11:34 AM by abhiloquacious.)
02-06-2012 11:33 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread