The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
How to crack a super full-time job offer in the US after masters
How to get a full time in US???

These steps will surely help you, better your chances to get a Full time job in US.

Plan your course work:

Projects and courses are the ones you are going to place on your resume at the end of 2 years (assuming Non- thesis). Carefully select your courses. Do a lot of research. Don't blindly scatter your course works. See if you can make logical grouping of the 10 or how many ever courses you will end up taking. Take courses which has more project work. Helps during interviews.

Try getting an internship:

This by far has been one major reason to get full-time jobs. Either you end up convincing the employer that you are good enough to be hired full time else you have an very good exp to convince the other employers you apply for. This I am talking abt, is intern in USA. If you don't get end up getting one, go back to India and do one. Don't find excuse not doing one. Cause intern exp in ur field of masters counts a lot. Some companies like open positions as early as nov/dec in ur first sem. So follow companies websites weekly from the day you arrive.

Try for research work:

By this I mean , you don't have to end up doing thesis or heavy research work or break your head funding from prof. By this I mean try to talk to a professor in your spec. Then convince him to give you couple of research projects or part of the work. It maybe simulations on software's or lab tests. By this you are showing the world that you don't restrict yourself to course work but go that extra mile to do something more. When you put two bullet points with project headings in your resume, it really looks damn impressive.

Create a linkedin account:

One stop shop where you can find all the professionals. Highly recommended as you get to message HR's of different companies. Try to create a technical profile with all details of your project, school name, research work and course work. Say for example you get a call from Siemens. You want reference or someone from Siemens to talk to. If you go to the community, it will show how you are related to the employees (What level of link you have). So your best friend brother might be working there, who knows. You get great links to industry. Subscribing to the companies gives you a list of open positions.

Importance of Networking:

Try to get involved in cricket leagues or any sports or cultural activities you like. We tend to forget our hobbies when we come to US. You should keep in touch and try to join clubs or associations. Sometime down the lane you will meet someone very important for your career. Expand your network of friends. Reports suggest that only 40% of jobs are posted in internet, papers and stuffs. Remaining 60% is filled up by word of mouth. So network a lot with alumini, profs, relatives, friend's.

Quality of Education:

This factor is important and will be taken care of, if you graduate from a good univ with a good gpa. I have always believed that Good univ with no funding >>>>> Lower ranked univ with funding. Of course if you have money problems you should decide which is best for you. But let me tell you all this loan thing we talk of back in India can easily be paid less than 2 years if you get full time , it will be taken care of in no time. Hence brand value of Univ (esp check if your spec is good at the univ)
Most importantly please bear in mind that GPA does make a difference in resume when the competition is heavy. Some might argue with this. But when I interacted with HR's of diff companies they said they classify the group as

Group 1 - 3.5 and above
Group 2 - 3.3 - 3.5
Group 3 - 3- 3.3

This does no happen always but it is nice to place urself in Group 1.

Have a kick a$$ resume:

The most most important point is to have a great resume and market yourself like crazy. Your resume should speak for yourself when you are not around. At first glance the HR should recruit you. They take 5 secs to scan. Impress them then and there. Here are few imp sub-headings you must be focusing most on full-time resume are

Education
Relevant course work
Software skillset
Research experience
Academic projects
Work Exp

Populate them according to the work you have done. I will attach a sample resume here for reference.

Personal details furnish here - Line 1
Personal details furnish here - Line 2
Personal details furnish here - Line 3

Professional Summary
• Electrical Engineer majoring in energy and power systems.
• Specializing in the field of power transmission and distribution, power operations and planning, power electronics.

Education
Master of Science in Engineering, Electrical Engineering Arizona State University GPA: 3.4/4 May 2011
Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Anna University, India GPA: 3.6/4 May 2008

Relevant Coursework
Power Transmission and Distribution
Power Electronics
Power Engineering Operations and Planning
Power System Transients
Advanced Power Electronics
Electric Energy Markets
Power System Analysis
Photovoltaic Systems Engineering
Computer Solution of Power Systems

Software skill set
• Simulation tools : Coulomb, EMTP, LabVIEW, PowerWorld Simulator, Simulink, Microsoft Visual Studio, PSpice
• Languages : MATLAB, C, C++, Java, Visual Basic, Oracle, RDBMS, AMPL
• Certifications : Sun certification in Java (SCJP 1.5)
• Operating System : Windows, Unix/Linux

Research experience (High Voltage Laboratory) : Dr. Ravi Gorur Summer ‘10
• Analysis of breakdown in composite insulators
Performed fog test and equivalent salt deposit density on composite insulators and estimated the leakage current, surface resistance on several defective insulators. The results established relationship between breakdown of insulators and leakage currents.

• Quantification of degradation in composite insulators
Successful classification of degradation intensity on composite insulators based on amplitude of corona spikes. This was achieved using a point to plane model and LabVIEW monitoring techniques.

• Electric field analysis of void in insulation
Analysis of variation in electric field intensity along the length of composite insulators subjected to mechanical defects. This was studied by simulation of intrinsic air and water filled voids using Coulomb.

Academic projects
• Power flow program in C using sparsity programming techniques : Dr. Daniel Tylavsky Fall ‘10
Estimated the bus voltages, bus angles, real and reactive power flow of IEEE 118 bus system by implementing Newton-Raphson, Tinney reordering, Jacobian and power mismatch algorithms using Microsoft Visual Studio.

• Analysis of power system restoration and economic dispatch techniques : Professor Richard Farmer Spring‘10
Restored a 230 kV inter-looped Arizona transmission system to meet the performance criteria while minimizing the cost of equipment and dispatching generation in the most economical manner using PowerWorld Simulator.

• Design and modeling of high voltage transmission line : Dr. George Karady Spring ‘10
Designed a high voltage transmission line including selection of transmission line towers, insulators and conductors. Assessed the lightning protection and estimated regulation, losses and optimal capacitor placement of a distribution feeder at maximum and minimum load conditions.

• Stability and compensation studies : Professor Richard Farmer Spring ‘10
Estimated the percentage series compensation required in 345 kV high voltage lines to maintain stability and employ generator dropping using PowerWorld Simulator.

• Modeling and analysis of high voltage transients in a transmission system : Professor Richard Farmer Fall ‘09
Simulated the effects of current chopping, circuit breaker operation, single line to ground faults, switching resistors in and out of loaded and unloaded 230/ 345 kV transmission lines using Electromagnetic Transients Program simulation (EMTP) software. The analysis enabled in depth understanding of transient voltage peaks in current chopping phenomena.

Work Experience
Infosys Technologies Limited (India) – Software Engineer July ’08 - July ’09
• Designed, developed and debugged new modules for projects involving renowned clients, Elseiver and LN France.
• Contributed to the development of Sterling courier project based on MVC architecture.
• Implemented user interface for LN France using VB.NET 2.0.
• Led a team to work on quarter four results and presented the same to the energy utilities department.
Lucas TVS (India) – Student Intern January ’08 – May ‘08
• Automation of car starter unit to reduce customer line rejections.
• Implemented ladder programming for gel coating plant using programmable logic controller (PLC).

And here are few golden rules on writing a full time resume

1. Have as less as white space as possible. Put full technical content. Usually font size 9 or 10 with times new roman or Calibri is recommended. Please don't bold or italics randomly. Please try sticking to one page resume if possible.
2. Have UG in terms of GPA not percentage or any other scale. The way you calculate is (your overall percentage / Topper Percentage) * 4
3. Name your resume as First name_last name_Resume.doc or pdf
4. Try to explain projects or research work for 2 or 3 lines. Work exp if you can be in bullets.
5. Have a neat cover letter like this

I am XYZ. I am interested in the full time positions available in XYZ company. The duties of the position and my background are well suited to the desired qualification. Upon graduation in May 2011 with a Masters in Energy & Power Systems, I would like to build upon some of the following experiences to start a successful career in Eaton.

• Student worker under Dr. Gorur in Energy & Power systems.
• Simulation and contingency analysis of power flow using PowerWorld Simulator
• Successful modeling of a 345 kV transmission system.
• Power system operation & planning, energy markets, Power System Transients, Power System Analysis.
• Software development as a Software Engineer at Infosys technologies,India.
• Designed, developed and debugged new modules for projects involving renowned clients, Elseiver and LN France.
• Led a team to work on quarter four results and presented the same to the energy utilities department.

As an Engineer, I have been impressed by the work and challenges that the position entails and would love to be a part of the organization. I believe that my corporate experience of working in a software company along with my education in Energy & Power Systems makes me an ideal candidate for this job. I am also sending my resume which further details my qualifications for the position.
Thanking you in advance for reviewing my application.

Sincerely,
XYZ
Ira A Fulton school of Engineering
Arizona State University
Phone number

Getting that interview call is the tricky part. Converting the interview to job is easier once you do ur masters (You will have hold of the subject and do well in interviews)!!!

Have a positive, persistent, patient, flexible attitude:

It is imperative that your attitude is in the right frame when you start applying. Never give up in anytime. Take it as a challenge to apply to million companies. You might have to slightly come out of ur spec field for some companies. It is ok. Go for it. And maintain an excel file which has a list of H1B sponsoring and the career links with it. Whenever you hear someone get placed somewhere, go and chk the website that night. Note it down in your excel sheet. Make it a powerful tool to remind you on the number of opportunities around you. Stay away from people who talk about recession and dip in job market and all BS! Be positive always. Its ok to get rejects. It means someone is looking at ur profile. If u keep hitting at the target, its no big deal. You should land up in a full time and make it big in life....

For all the seniors out there if you guys have points to add, pls do. Lets make this thread the most happening and important thread that changes careers of people. For all the juniors out there, wish you guys all d best. Stay focused and strong!!!
Jai Hind

Best regards,
The Illusionist
Known is a drop, unknown is an ocean!
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 07:34 PM by The_Observer.)
02-10-2012 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
avishnu89 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

avishnu89 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 5
RE: How to crack a super Full Time job offer in US after masters!!!
Great post. Applause Most of it applies to the intern hunt as well I guess.

I am not good at profile evaluations. Please read this thread and contact the appropriate senior.
All the Best.
Unisearch Link
MS ECE Georgia Tech (Graduated Fall 2012)
02-10-2012 08:25 AM
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

RE: How to crack a super Full Time job offer in US after masters!!!
avishnu89

Very true buddy... Once you put Intern -> its Game , set, match for you!! Smile

Best regards,
The Illusionist
02-10-2012 09:03 AM
GravityEyelids Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

GravityEyelids Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

RE: How to crack a super full-time job offer in US after masters!!!
Aside from the notes above, make good use of the university's jobs portal. Almost all internship/full-time calls/e-mails that I received were from openings that I applied from the online jobs portal in the university.
02-10-2012 10:16 AM
King Maker Offline
Thala the Great

King Maker Offline
Thala the Great

Likes Given: 19
Awesomeness...ApplauseApplause
Very very helpful....Please make this stickyVery Happy

Don't tag me for anything other than NCSU (IE/IMSE). I am outdated with admit trends. Don't ask me for eval since I am outdated. Thanks!
02-11-2012 12:41 AM
avishnu89 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

avishnu89 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 5
Also attend the career fairs. I know most of the companies say apply online, but many of them do have on-campus interviews. Again, I am talking from the internship POV.

I am not good at profile evaluations. Please read this thread and contact the appropriate senior.
All the Best.
Unisearch Link
MS ECE Georgia Tech (Graduated Fall 2012)
02-11-2012 02:50 AM
abhishekpjoshi Offline
Edulix Frequent User

abhishekpjoshi Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Everyone talks about career fairs for internship or full time job. How this thing works exactly? I never got a chance to visit any career fair. Is it like companies coming with openings and interviewing the students there?

02-11-2012 11:32 AM
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhishekpjoshi

Concept about career fairs:

So what happens is that the university officials / reps arrange for a date and then invites all the companies on a date. Then you have these companies HR and tech guys showing up on that date. So as your part of university you can take ur ID and attend the fairs. The thing to note is

1. Always check for which companies which interests you. ( companies from your major). Say number is N. Always carry N+10 resumes print out copies. Always useful to have extra.

2. Its super nice if you can get the business card of the company rep whom you strike conversation with. Often if u can impress them at the first go , in the career fairs, they keep those resumes separate. So try to impress them with your projects.

3. Learn about the company before you go. The standard questions are

A. Tell me about yourself.
(You start about your major, then about your coursework and projects, basically summarize your resume)

B. Tell me about the things you like about our company.
(This is why I stress visit the websites and c what they work on and what are the projects they are doing. Also see the company benefits to talk about the things you like)

C. Do you have any questions ?
(Try asking couple of questions like, Are you guys looking to hire any candidates in near future? Can I have your business card and email you sometime and keep in touch.)

I have heard lot of companies doing a follow up interview the next day or week if they like your resume. Which I stress on Kick A$$ resume. If you get interview calls, then great chance for intern or full time. The only thing about these career fairs, most of them hire US citizens. But its good to give a shot at them. There is always this chance to pull out a call from employee and mainly you gain HR or employee contact info.

avishnu89 - Thanks for bringing up the Career Fair thingy. Very imp thing I forgot!!! Applause

GravityEyelids - Very true. The univ job portal sometimes gives you the HR emails or phone number also. Doesn't hurt to contact them if they are interested. Nice point bro! Very Happy

Best regards,
The Illusionist
02-12-2012 04:20 AM
Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

Likes Given: 70
This should be useful http://www.quintcareers.com/cover_letter_samples.html

Also, Sherlock Holmes could you stick this and the other thread? I don't seem to see them on the stickies.

I no longer have the time, and have not kept up with the trends to give profile evaluations. Please only tag me if you have general queries about my school, life in the US, internships/jobs and the like.

There's always a relevant xkcd - http://imgs.xkcd.com/a1panels/f86afa98e0...f52d15.png
04-11-2012 08:43 AM
pocket_aces Offline
Edulix Senior Member

pocket_aces Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 40
Wololo

I think this thread should be aptly placed in seniors lounge sub-forum. What say?

I'm an ASU Alumnus. Graduated MS CS from ASU in 2014. Tag me for CS and general questions about ASU / Tempe / Arizona. I'll try my best to answer.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 09:37 AM by pocket_aces.)
04-11-2012 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Sherlock Holmes Offline
Administrator

Sherlock Holmes Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 50
Thread Stickied.

I will not be replying to PMs and tags, will reply to threads as and when I get time.

How to use Edulix?
Read this for Cornell Queries.
Read this and paste URL of your thread before sending a PM for Profile Evaluation. No emails.
Post here for Embedded Systems related queries.
04-11-2012 10:38 AM
Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

Quote:I think this thread should be aptly placed in seniors lounge sub-forum. What say?

I think it has more to do with general careers than the seniors! Without these threads, it kinda defeats the purpose of a career subforum Smile

I no longer have the time, and have not kept up with the trends to give profile evaluations. Please only tag me if you have general queries about my school, life in the US, internships/jobs and the like.

There's always a relevant xkcd - http://imgs.xkcd.com/a1panels/f86afa98e0...f52d15.png
04-11-2012 10:55 AM
apu_hegde Offline
Edulix Frequent User

apu_hegde Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I have a question. not for me per se, but a friend who'll be applying for Fall 2013. He's been placed right now (graduating from BE electrical and electronics in may 2012) but he doesnt want too much of a gap in his academics so he'll be applying for fall 2013 itself. I suggested working a bit and applying for fall 2014 but he said there's no use of work experience if it isnt in your field or not what you're interested in pursuing.

So I wanted to ask, should the work experience be relevent to your field only? For eg, if you're interested in power electronics but you're placed in a software company.
05-03-2012 06:05 PM
Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

IF you want it to help with your admission, then yes, it'd be best if it were relevant to your field.

05-03-2012 10:36 PM
The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The Illusionist Offline
Edulix Super Senior

^^^ + 1

If its related to the field, then it is advisable to go for work.

Best regards,
The Illusionist
05-22-2012 08:46 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread