EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mentor's better than reading
Akanksh2811 Offline
New Edulixian

Akanksh2811 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Mentor's better than reading
Reading abt the whole procedure's one thing.. but i guess the best way to go about it is with help from someone who's done it. I'm in my first year b.tech right now and looking forward to do my MS abroad.. I'll need someone to walk me through this phase. collecting information is not difficult but organising it and setting it straight needs guidance. I'd be damn happy if someone could help me out here.. who've done it already or who's in the process
would appreciate it
02-20-2012 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

Likes Given: 5
RE: Mentor's better than reading
We are of the opinion that you learn a lot better if you do the work here yourself and some is watching your back almost all the time.

Gather the information, and if you cannot get it organized or make sense of it, there is always someone to guide you through that.

Walking you through the process is as good as spoon feeding you about what to do and we believe it is high time that spoon feeding stops. And I guess I can represent everyone's opinion.

Mentoring is a totally different thing. Mentors by the way don't walk you through processes. They give you tasks to do and get your back while you do it yourself, which is what we strive to do here.

Get down to work, go through the threads, make a list of prerequisites and we will guide you from there.

Post Count : Post only when absolutely necessary. And when you post, make it count.
02-20-2012 03:13 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 113
And to add to that, you're just in the first year of you UG now. While starting early is good, starting this early isn't necessarily too good a thing. Because, typically, by the time you're ready to start applying for grad school, you'd be in your third year, in the least, by which point you have some sort of idea about what you're interested in and why. First year is too early, you don't even have the basics down pat yet. IMHO, forget all this for now, collect info if you wish, but no more than that needs to be done at least for the next 2 years. Concentrate on your academics, get to know about the various things and upcoming stuff in your field, and go ahead from there when you know enough about them.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your infobank if you want any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about univs from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
02-20-2012 08:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post
Akanksh2811 Offline
New Edulixian

Akanksh2811 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
(02-20-2012 03:13 PM)The_Minuteman Wrote:  We are of the opinion that you learn a lot better if you do the work here yourself and some is watching your back almost all the time.

Gather the information, and if you cannot get it organized or make sense of it, there is always someone to guide you through that.

Walking you through the process is as good as spoon feeding you about what to do and we believe it is high time that spoon feeding stops. And I guess I can represent everyone's opinion.

Mentoring is a totally different thing. Mentors by the way don't walk you through processes. They give you tasks to do and get your back while you do it yourself, which is what we strive to do here.

Get down to work, go through the threads, make a list of prerequisites and we will guide you from there.

You're absolutely right and i'm against the idea of spoon-feeding as well.. the way i see it, u lose individuality in the long run. It must've been my poor choice of words or a misunderstanding because what i meant to say by "walk me through" was to get myself familiarized with the site. Its still an early stage and i'll learn but since that was my first time, it was kinda difficult to go through the posts orderly. well, i'm new n i know i'll pick up so thats not a problem.

And true, my views of a mentor is the same as yours. since it was my first time, i thot i'd start off somewhere.. Thanks for your advice. very much appreciated
(02-20-2012 08:02 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  And to add to that, you're just in the first year of you UG now. While starting early is good, starting this early isn't necessarily too good a thing. Because, typically, by the time you're ready to start applying for grad school, you'd be in your third year, in the least, by which point you have some sort of idea about what you're interested in and why. First year is too early, you don't even have the basics down pat yet. IMHO, forget all this for now, collect info if you wish, but no more than that needs to be done at least for the next 2 years. Concentrate on your academics, get to know about the various things and upcoming stuff in your field, and go ahead from there when you know enough about them.

Yeah it kinda is early. To be honest i'm not worried about where i'm gonna join as yet since i have loads of time like you said. Even though the interested field of study becomes clearer later on and u make a decision on what you'll do, i thought having a head start on the basics like the GRE TOEFL alongside my ongoing studies will help. Right now since its still the first year of UG, there's a lot of free time availabe so why not put it to good use right?
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2012 12:41 AM by Akanksh2811.)
02-25-2012 12:33 AM
vraider Away
All Rounder of the Year

vraider Away
All Rounder of the Year

Likes Given: 35
Well kid, if you wanna make use of time , I'd first suggest that you figure out what subjects interest you the most, decide whether you will be willing to work on that line for the rest of your life. Else go back and pick another area.

Try to gain indepth information rather than rote learning while studying at college, which may often not be possible!

And finally, try to broaden your horizon by choosing sources to study /learn from non -conventional sources to broaden your knowledge in your field of interest.

^My two cents .
Tis' been a while.

I dont do profile evals.
02-25-2012 12:58 AM
LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 109
To put your first year to good use, try to learn stuff outside the scope of your degree. In my experience, a BE from at least the university I currently attend is severely inadequate to learn anything useful. I am sure that can be extrapolated to include most Indian universities. To actually learn something in your intended field of study, look to the internet for resources. For CS, here's one which looks pretty promising: http://www.udacity.com.

Start exploring your subject core from now, so you can start to narrow down a field of interest.

Don't worry about GRE/TOEFL right now. The TOEFL is a very very basic exam. Anyone with a reasonable command of English should do just fine. The GRE is something you ideally need to worry about only around six months before you actually give it. Start preparing for it in your second -> third year vacation and give it at the end of your fifth semester. Personally, I gave the exam with minimal preparation in the middle of my sixth semester.

Currently, your focus should be on your undergraduate study. Try to explore as much as you can so that you can decide what is really interesting to you.

SOP eval guidelines have changed. Please read this. Do NOT send me PMs requesting personal SOP reviews, they will be ignored.

Destination CMU

My VI
02-25-2012 09:10 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread