Confused about I-20 process
shiksr Offline
Edulix Active Member

shiksr Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
Unisearch: Link
Confused about I-20 process
Hey guys, I received an admit from OSU and the I-20 amount is stated as $45k in the admit letter from OSU. Correct me if I am wrong on the following points:

- I need to submit a bank statement and an affidavit letter for getting an I-20 issued from the university.

- OSU provides the format of the affidavit letter along with the admit letter. This is in the form of the document they attach in their mail called 'AFF'. I need to fill this and send it back to them.

- What exactly is a bank statement? I am presuming it is a letter from the bank stating that my dad(sponsor) has sufficient funds in his account. It should have the bank letter head, authorised signatory and a bank seal. Right ? Should it state that my parents have enough funds for BOTH the two years of MS? Or is it ok to show for one year?

- Now how about the case where my parents are applying for an educational loan? How should that bank statement look like?? This loan can only sustain my education for the first year of study (25lakhs).

- Does my case require a solvency certificate? Does OSU accept it ?

Please bear with me if these questions sound either obvious or dumb. I thought its better to ask than to be ignorant.

crthegreat, King Maker, Dark Knight, greprepin

03-18-2012 02:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
perplexed Offline
Finance/ Visa Master
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

perplexed Offline
Finance/ Visa Master
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Likes Given: 71
RE: Confused about I-20 process
(03-18-2012 02:01 AM)shiksr Wrote:  Hey guys, I received an admit from OSU and the I-20 amount is stated as $45k in the admit letter from OSU. Correct me if I am wrong on the following points:

- I need to submit a bank statement and an affidavit letter for getting an I-20 issued from the university.
YES

- OSU provides the format of the affidavit letter along with the admit letter. This is in the form of the document they attach in their mail called 'AFF'. I need to fill this and send it back to them.
YES

- What exactly is a bank statement? I am presuming it is a letter from the bank stating that my dad(sponsor) has sufficient funds in his account. It should have the bank letter head, authorised signatory and a bank seal. Right ? Should it state that my parents have enough funds for BOTH the two years of MS? Or is it ok to show for one year?
It should state the bank balance in both INR and USD. The amount should be greater than or equal to i20 Amount

- Now how about the case where my parents are applying for an educational loan? How should that bank statement look like?? This loan can only sustain my education for the first year of study (25lakhs).
For the case of i20 you cannot show the educational loan as Banks don't sanction loan without you showing them the i20.You can use the loan to show funds for Visa Interview.

You can either show Bank solvency or Bank Statement. You need to check with OSU if they accept Bank Solvency

Please bear with me if these questions sound either obvious or dumb. I thought its better to ask than to be ignorant.

03-18-2012 04:10 AM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Likes Given: 187
pramod has clarified everything for you. For sample statements, do check the important threads.

~Back to work~Expect a delayed response to my tags/PM's.

I may not subscribe to threads. Tag me using @[Dark Knight] to get my attention.

Post all IE specific queries here. Please read the first post for various specializations and Information on IE at different Univ's. All about Georgia Tech here.

Profile || My VI || Planning your application season || How to Create an Infobank
Profile Evaluation Guide || University Selection for all Streams

The Knight has risen beyond expectations...."Deshay Deshay Bashara Bashara "...
03-18-2012 08:26 AM
King Maker Offline
Thala the Great

King Maker Offline
Thala the Great

Likes Given: 19
shiksr There are certain things I need to clarify. I just finished OSU i20 process.
You should submit bank statement ONLY. NO SOLVENCY IS ALLOWED. Submit AFF Form and bank statement in one pdf and e-mail grad school.
Loan sanction wont work.
P.S: You can show even 4 sponsors. Just take their bank statement and make them sign affidavit. You can show FD too.

Don't tag me for anything other than NCSU (IE/IMSE). I am outdated with admit trends. Don't ask me for eval since I am outdated. Thanks!
03-18-2012 08:36 AM
sona12 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sona12 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
(03-18-2012 08:36 AM)King Maker Wrote:  shiksr There are certain things I need to clarify. I just finished OSU i20 process.
You should submit bank statement ONLY. NO SOLVENCY IS ALLOWED. Submit AFF Form and bank statement in one pdf and e-mail grad school.
Loan sanction wont work.
P.S: You can show even 4 sponsors. Just take their bank statement and make them sign affidavit. You can show FD too.
shiksrjasskcet
King Maker
crthegreat

firstly, im sending a bank letter with sponsor's name, acct no, funds greater than I20 amount(both in INR n USD) on the official bank letterhead and signed by bank officer and sponsor. IS THIS OK?

secondly, on the affidavit of financial support form, it is written that students should complete the student certification section if they are paying all or part of the fees but on the Ohio State University website FAQs, it is written both the student and the sponsor should sign the form but i don't see any place for applicant signature apart from in the student certification.. so do we need to sign or not, if yes, where? please reply asap..

05-19-2013 03:18 PM
manojkrishs Offline
Edulix Active Member

manojkrishs Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
(03-18-2012 04:10 AM)perplexed Wrote:  
(03-18-2012 02:01 AM)shiksr Wrote:  Hey guys, I received an admit from OSU and the I-20 amount is stated as $45k in the admit letter from OSU. Correct me if I am wrong on the following points:

YES

YES

It should state the bank balance in both INR and USD. The amount should be greater than or equal to i20 Amount

For the case of i20 you cannot show the educational loan as Banks don't sanction loan without you showing them the i20.You can use the loan to show funds for Visa Interview.

You can either show Bank solvency or Bank Statement. You need to check with OSU if they accept Bank Solvency

while producing bank statement for getting i20, is tat just a letter head along with manager sign stating that that concerned person has enough funds to manage his/her studies is enough or we should send them the bank statement for particular period span?

if we get the amount in our account jus before 5 days of sending the statement for univ for getting i20, then vl tat create chaos?

My Infobank
Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings
UT Austin||TAMU||NCSU||Stony Brook||IUB||UofT
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2013 09:47 PM by manojkrishs.)
05-25-2013 09:47 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread