Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 6
Unisearch: Link
A small advice to aspiring students for managing Coursework
Hi juniors,

This post will be useful to you,especially if you are going to a top university where most of the courses are very hard.I do not know how much it applies to low ranked universities nor I do know who it applies to very bright students who do very well right(in terms of grade) from the start of their graduate studies.

1.Teaching in Classroom plays a very important role in US unlike in India where we can bunk around and study during holidays before exams - still get good marks.Questions taught in the classes come in exam and may not be present in any other book.
2.Every assignment has a weightage.Please see that before finding out how much importance has to be given to that assignment.It is advisable to have a list of assignments and day to day work schedule in a StickyNote or something like that.
3.In several top universities,a substantial loss of marks in important assignments is unrecoverable.
Here is why:You get below average marks in a couple of assignments ,which means a bad mid-semester grade.
To increase your grade substantially from mid-semester to your final exam is very tough(sometimes next to impossible).Because you have to score really high marks and also compensate for the loss of marks.Many times the grades are curved to give 'A's to top say 5% of the class and in some other cases absolute grading scheme is followed eg :92% and above may be an 'A'.So you have to liiterally get full marks in all exams to compensate or perform a 'lot' better than the brightest student in your class.
Every assignment thus becomes a 'virtual' final exam.
4.Please discuss your bad-grades openly with your seniors in universities or here in the forums,so that you make amends during mid-semester itself.Don't expect your grade to jump from a 'C' in mid-sem to an 'A' in the final overall grade,unless of course you have an exam which does not count(eg.Best 2 out of 3).
5.Some courses have a lot of programming/complex concepts and might be very difficult.You can take advantage of several grading schemes applicable to still study those subjects and take part in the projects(useful for your resume).This way you can study difficult subjects and complete nice projects without worrying about your grades.Read more about them from your university.What I have given below is an example.

Here is how:
>You can take the subject as "Audit" -->Self study with all course materials,classes and no exams.No credit nor does it add to credit hours.
>Pass/Fail-->Get a pass/fail grade ,no credit,but the course credit hours are added.If you have to take three courses per semester,you can take two for a grade and 1 as Pass/Fail to maintain the 3 course full time status.
>'Drop' courses where you get a lesser grade.There are deadlines and procedures for each of them.If you miss all these deadlines,you can withdraw the course ,a 'W' will appear in transcript.The withdrawal deadline is usually the last day of the class.
6.Always have a list of easy courses which will give you an easy 'A'.This can improve you cumulative GPA.Talk to department folks to know about this.And also discuss in online forums.
7.Beg your professor for extra-credit assignments.This can improve your grades especially if your professor follows absolute grading.Don't miss these assignments,they are just as normal assignments because everyone does it to get his grade up and you may not want to miss out on that.
8.If you fail in a subject,many schools take into account the mark you scored while failing for calculating the GPA.Unlike places in India where the mark you secure while failing is discarded.A fail grade means compensating with at least 2 or 3 'A's in other subjects along with passing the same subject during the course repeat.Fail grade means a student did not know how to manage course nor he/she understood the grading scheme.So avoid falling at all costs.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 06:03 AM by Doppelganger.)
03-24-2012 12:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Aishwarya.89 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Aishwarya.89 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

RE: A small advice to aspiring students for managing Coursework
Great info Doppelganger Thanks for the awesome insight .

Aishwarya

InfoBank

Graduate Teaching Assistant,
Eller College of Management,
University Of Arizona
03-24-2012 02:47 PM
ki!!erd Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ki!!erd Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 5
ApplauseApplause

Infobank:
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=11899
Destination : CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
My 2nd VI
03-24-2012 03:00 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
Decent enough advice, but a few comments that I'd like to point out:

Quote:1.Teaching in Classroom plays a very important role in US unlike in India where we can bunk around and study during holidays before exams - still get good marks.Questions taught in the classes come in exam and may not be present in any other book.

Not just in class. Outside of it too. Meaning, if you don't understand something, go see the prof in the office hours. Don't hesitate to do that for any reason - Americans don't, so I see no reason why internationals shouldn't either. And we're even paying more for the same thing, hell Razz Don't be a kiss-ass, but going up to the prof - not necessarily every day or week - shows dilligence. And a few profs do keep a portion of the grades aside for student interaction. This is your chance to show the prof that you're genuinely interested in that course, and this is also how you get to (1) ask for extra-credit assignments, and (2) build networks and contacts.

Quote:3.In several top universities,a substantial loss of marks in important assignments is unrecoverable.

That's the case in most, if not all, of the univs.

Quote:4.Please discuss your bad-grades openly with your seniors in universities or here in the forums,so that you make amends during mid-semester itself.

This is a very important point. Seniors (OK, not all of us, but at least a few whom you know well and can connect with - and there would be a few such in every batch in almost all univs) are here to help you, and don't generally mind doing so since they've gone through this themselves. Don't wait till the last moment to ask for help - if you're buried upto the neck in *word censored by forum*, even if you try to shout out for help, all you do is take in more *word censored by forum*. Wink Meaning: don't under-estimate yourself, but don't over-estimate either. It is all right to fail, as long as you realize that you're sinking, in time, and make amends to get out of it.

Quote:The withdrawal deadline is usually the last day of the class.

Not necessarily true. It's a gross generalization, because at my univ, the grading policy change or withdrawal deadline is the end of the first week of classes. In some others, it is somewhere in the middle of the semester, around the mid-terms or Fall/Spring break. It varies from univ to univ, and in some cases, some departments may require you to inform them earlier than the univ deadlines, so please look beforehand - ideally, before the sem starts, about the time you register for classes.

Quote:7.Beg you professor for extra-credit assignments.This can improve your grades especially if your professor follows absolute grading.Don't miss these assignments,they are just as normal assignments because everyone does it to get his grade up and you may not want to miss out on that.

That's a good idea, do it... but only if you are sure of being able to handle the extra-workload. In many cases, extra-credit assignments are more difficult than the usual ones, but then they might count for more too. In any case, this brings me back to my point of not over-estimating yourself in terms of time and ability. If you ask for extra-credit and are not able to handle it, sure, it doesn't impact your grade, but it might leave a bad impression of yours on the prof.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
03-24-2012 09:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

I second what Observer said.Please see the deadlines with the university website and confirm with your department.What I gave is just an example.Choose courses intelligently,balance your grades and course difficulty.Take courses with good projects,search for a reliable partner to team up with in difficult assignments.Work closely and maintain good relationship with Profs and TAs.And if you think you are in deep sh**,shout it out here or with a friendly senior or with your advisor.
Good luck in studies!
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 05:56 AM by Doppelganger.)
03-25-2012 03:32 AM
hello_salu Offline
Edulix Active Member

hello_salu Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Awesome thread guys!!!!Applause

Really helps to get a real picture!!!

One quick question though : what do these 'assignments' and 'projects' generally consist of?? I mean, being an MU student, my "assignments" are just blind copy-paste exercises. The assignments the professors give - are they coding problems, presentations or something entirely else?? As for projects, do we have to create an entire project [application etc] ourselves /in a group or collaborate on an existing project with the professors???

I request Doppelganger.The_Observer and other seniors to please clarify my doubts
03-25-2012 09:28 AM
Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

(03-25-2012 09:28 AM)hello_salu Wrote:  Awesome thread guys!!!!Applause

Really helps to get a real picture!!!

One quick question though : what do these 'assignments' and 'projects' generally consist of?? I mean, being an MU student, my "assignments" are just blind copy-paste exercises. The assignments the professors give - are they coding problems, presentations or something entirely else?? As for projects, do we have to create an entire project [application etc] ourselves /in a group or collaborate on an existing project with the professors???

I request @[Doppelganger].@[The_Observer] and other seniors to please clarify my doubts
My assignment in undergrad were either copy-paste or rote work. I am having a tough time here.Start sharpening your coding skills and try to develop interest in what you are doing.Programming Projects are often divided into groups (2 or three members) and sometimes done individually.
If you take systems programming :It can be like implementing anything from programming puzzles,implementing your versions of compiler,server to even coding an entire(small) operating system.
On the applications side : Something like developing a web site etc
On the MISM side :Case studies,writing term papers(from other sources),presentations etc

This thread helps:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=48377
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 10:00 AM by Doppelganger.)
03-25-2012 09:46 AM
aditya_b Offline
Edulix Senior Member

aditya_b Offline
Edulix Senior Member

I want to major in Electrical Engineering (Communication Systems)

Can any seniors from communications background throw some light on What kind of assignements and Projects i may have to perform.

Doppelganger.The_Observer

Can you please advice.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2012 10:12 AM by aditya_b.)
03-25-2012 09:52 AM
GravityEyelids Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

GravityEyelids Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

I have TA'd several times for several courses and the biggest issue I see is time management. Try and finish your assignments "as early as possible". Start preferably the day the assignment is out. I've seen appalling work on the assignments because everyone starts late (sometimes a few hours before it is due). Don't underestimate the difficulty level of assignments. If a project is due at the end of the semester, try and start the project on day one. Leave the remaining time to discuss your assignment with the TA or professor. As pointed out earlier, messing up with assignments will push your grades from A to C or D. Graduate students tend to underestimate (due to over confidence) the difficulty level of the course work and hence procrastinate and end up messing up mid terms and finals. Study religiously no matter what. Spend 16 hours a day on your courses if it comes down to it. But never try to push it for later. That is a proven recipe for disaster.
03-26-2012 01:39 PM
The Inspector Offline

The Inspector Offline

Likes Given: 35
@Doppelganger
Can you please update your infobank profile.

My Infobank | PROFILE EVAL GUIDE | I do evaluate profiles MS in Petroleum Engineering US universities | Please don't tag me in F 1 visa queries | Tag me to get my attention .
03-26-2012 06:29 PM
Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Doppelganger Offline
Edulix Senior Member

(03-26-2012 06:29 PM)The Inspector Wrote:  
@Doppelganger
Can you please update your infobank profile.
Done !

(03-26-2012 01:39 PM)GravityEyelids Wrote:  I have TA'd several times for several courses and the biggest issue I see is time management. Try and finish your assignments "as early as possible". Start preferably the day the assignment is out. I've seen appalling work on the assignments because everyone starts late (sometimes a few hours before it is due). Don't underestimate the difficulty level of assignments. If a project is due at the end of the semester, try and start the project on day one. Leave the remaining time to discuss your assignment with the TA or professor. As pointed out earlier, messing up with assignments will push your grades from A to C or D. Graduate students tend to underestimate (due to over confidence) the difficulty level of the course work and hence procrastinate and end up messing up mid terms and finals. Study religiously no matter what. Spend 16 hours a day on your courses if it comes down to it. But never try to push it for later. That is a proven recipe for disaster.

++++++++++1
(03-25-2012 09:52 AM)aditya_b Wrote:  I want to major in Electrical Engineering (Communication Systems)

Can any seniors from communications background throw some light on What kind of assignements and Projects i may have to perform.

@[Doppelganger].@[The_Observer]

Can you please advice.
Sorry,but I am into CS -Software side.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 10:47 AM by Doppelganger.)
03-31-2012 10:39 AM
msee11 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

msee11 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

aditya_b I took 2 related courses.
Projects would mostly involve designing some "innovative" software(usually on MATLAB) with some cool application using the concepts you learned during the coursework.
For example, comparing two filters or something similar won't fetch you a decent grade but designing an object recognition software would definitely be cool.

Assignments are Prof-dependent. Few profs would give you only coding related stuff, where you implement things on Matlab. Others may go theoretical and can expect numerical problems.
07-04-2012 01:19 AM
fawkesash Offline
Edulix Senior Member

fawkesash Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 14
awesome discussion!!! please keep this thread alive as long as possible!!

http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=133940
My 3rd VI : http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.p...pid1026659
2nd VI : http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=113908
1st VI : http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=112829
USA: UF | ASU | MTU| UCInn ||
TAMU || UMinn || NCSU

Germany : U Freiburg (Microsystems|| FAU- Erlangen (Computational Engg) ||U. Ulm (EST) || || U siegen
|| U Freiburg (REM)
DON'T TAG FOR THANKING ME!!
07-04-2012 11:26 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread