EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Review/Research paper Help !!!- Wireless Comm
Reaper9187 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Reaper9187 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Review/Research paper Help !!!- Wireless Comm
Hey all,

I'm currently working on a topic which i think would be suitable for a new paper. I've gone through certain threads on Edulix explaining the methodology and procedure to be adopted while writing the paper, however, there are some issues i need help with. I'd really be grateful if some seniors could help me out:

1. Firstly, I understand that to write a paper, the content has to be genuine. For a research paper that involves discussing a new idea in wireless networks, say proposing an efficient algorithm or spectrum sensing technique, it would entail a world of complex mathematics and statistical approach. Quite frankly, it would be much beyond the level of a normal B.Tech Student. I went through some papers and this only seems to get worse. What my question is that, if we do plan to introduce a new concept, does the level of computational complexity introduced have to be so high, so as to say at par with Ph.D guys in order to back up the idea theoretically ??? I can play with all the basic maths taught upto the bachelors level but it seems that too isnt enough and complex statistical theory et al are reqd. Do they generally expect such high level papers from such crude engineers at the bachelors level ...??Shocked

2. My second question pertains to the actual content of the paper. From what i know and understand, the idea presented in a paper has to be novel. In case it is a review paper, the paper has to qualitatively compare and discuss the recent advancements and shortcomings of the technology discussed and suggest a new novel idea. For a research paper, its a completely new technology or idea altogether. I did talk to a couple of seniors about this and what they suggested was that if the idea was novel, it could be patented. Is it so ?? IF that were the case, then every research paper would be a new patent.Shocked

I'd really like some help from seniors regarding this ...Brick wall

04-24-2012 11:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sk.dartmouth Offline
Edulix Super Senior

sk.dartmouth Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 12
Unisearch: Link
RE: Review/Research paper Help !!!- Wireless Comm
1. Paper should have novelty - i.e. the innovative component. Mathematics should be there to support your ideas, like proof, or showing the computational complexity of your proposed algorithm or other such things. Often times, the most reproducible ideas have simple but clever use of basics. If the novelty is in the mathematics of your approach, it should be there. It definitely isn't required, as such, novelty IS required. Moreover, a research paper is a research paper, it's the idea that matters and it doesn't matter what your status or position is in academia (BS, MS, PhD etc.). Also, ideally you aren't subjected to any favors for writing a paper at bachelors. Content matters the most.

2. Review paper may or may not have new ideas. However, review papers generally require a great deal of work and scientific maturity for proper and unbiased presentation of different techniques of that particular topic. Regular papers describe new ideas, new algorithms, new systems, improvements on the existing idea/algo/system/hardware/software etc.

US Patent website says:
"There are three types of patents. Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof. Here is the process for obtaining a utility patent. Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture. Plant patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant."

Also, take a look at this:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpe...106_02.htm

Hope this makes it clear that not everything can be patented. Moreover, in Academia, A-class journal papers are looked upon more favorably than Patents.

Does this answer your questions?

PhD Interview Thread
Signal, Image Pro, Comp Vision, Machine Learning & Pattern Class Thread
I will reply only if I have something useful to add. NO MS evals.
04-25-2012 06:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread