sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
MS in US or Government job ?
Hi edulixians,

I came up here for some guidance. As this is primarily for people going to US of A ,i dont know if this would get any relevance. But am still bringing up this topic as it has been bothering me since long.I had taken up GRE in feb and was planning to apply.Now i have been bugged continuously by my parents to give some government exams (SSC and PSUs) and clear them as they have their sets of Pros.Considering the situation i am in,both MS and Government sector look soo lucrative.i am really confused at this point in time .If someone could help me out with some mature points and clarity in thought,it would help me deciding my future path.
Ok so here are my thoughts regarding both the career paths.
Government Sector (SSC,PSU )
Pros
1. Job Security.You clear the exam and you are done for life.
2. A govt job provides you pension and other state+central benefits which really help after retirement.
3. Considering the situation today,these jobs do pay well.Not like post MS but yeah definitely have good money.
4. BEnifits from the government in terms of loan facilities,leaves etc though minor but realy are beneficial once you get into the job.
5. YOu become a part of the process that truly drives the entire country.In whatever role.

Cons.
1. Office Politics and sicophancy and bribes is the only way you can lead a comfortable stay in your office.
Couldnt add any con except for this.

MS in MIS
Pros

1. From the learning curve,it adds a new dimension to your ken.
2.US is a land of opportunities,plenty of jobs.
3. With an MS ,sky is the limit.It is upto your skills to carve your path.
4. Stay in the US and you enjoy the benefits of hygiene,mantained standards and obviously a better quality of life.

Cons
1. Huge investment.Although the ROI is their but nothing is guaranteed.
Takes almost 3-4 years and then you really start saving.
2. Job security.I might be naive here but you join the corporate world that too in a foreign land.That really is scary considering the volatile economy situations all over the world.
3.No matter how educated or what level you have achieved,you will always be seen as an indian and discriminations do exist!

Adding to that,i have an Ok financial situation.If it really makes sense in investing for MS,i would twitch a whisker,But at the moment i am completely confused.
TIA,
SHaringan123
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 11:20 AM by sharingan123.)
07-10-2012 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
studiousfellows Offline
Edulix Senior Member

studiousfellows Offline
Edulix Senior Member

RE: MS in US or Government job ?
You really should do a search first before posting.

Infobank | VI | Updating Infobank | Profile Eval Guide

Tag me @[studiousfellows] to get my attention. I help evaluate CS profiles.
07-10-2012 12:53 AM
sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

search regarding what?Embarassed
07-10-2012 01:32 AM
DesiLinguist Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

DesiLinguist Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

You should be able to come up with, at the very least, a list of pros and cons for each option. It's useless asking a very general question like this because none of us are aware of what your situation is - financial and otherwise.

I am a linguist. A desi linguist.
http://www.desilinguist.org
07-10-2012 03:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

I've updated the main post. DesiLinguist
07-10-2012 11:28 AM
debonair22 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

debonair22 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I was one a consistent rank 5 holder in class (b.tech ECE) and there was an intution that made me to believe that i can clear IES or any psu. So dropped a year in did rigorous coaching.

AFter one year: cleared 2 psu's but rejected in interview.. no chance of IES..no im having one year gap ..no chance jo getting job as nw im a stale student..giving gre on 24 july and will be applying for fall 2013 in vlsi with 2 yr of gap and no work ex..high chances of getting getting rejected in visa interview

i still regret why i listened to my parents and should have used my brain.in Gov.t seats are limited like 20-40 and around 1lakh students give exam..
and even if you clear it ..high chances dat they are gonna reject you in interview

so don't waste your hardwork and time for nothing like i did, i screwed up my career with my own hands( sanskrit idiom: vinaash kaale vipreet budhhi) means when your time is wrong, mind starting heading towards destruction...

go for MS
07-10-2012 11:49 AM
sj1987 Offline
Edulix Active Member

sj1987 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
As someone who's spent three years in a reputed PSU and then applied for MS, I'd say it boils down to your motivation. Not every PSU is rife with "office politics" and bribery and infact these would be far more in the private sector where promotions and progression is not fixed. I've enjoyed my job though it may feel disappointing to people who are looking for the glitz. Good PSUs are profit making enterprises where u'll find enough professionalism. And the benefits are amazing..consider never spending a even a penny on your medical expenditure and many others though salary wise remuneration will lag a bit. Plus career trajectory is very fixed.
Doing an MS however would have to be more than job opportunities. You might be looking for a more challenging experience, or maybe seeking higher education..whatever it be you have to be driven enough. Ideally I'd say try balancing the two. Take up a job, and side by side go ahead with the application procedure the work ex will be an added plus and even if you dont save a lot u'll be atleast able to offset application costs with your earnings!Smile

My Unisearch profile..
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=116958
Hokie through and through!
07-10-2012 03:35 PM
sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

sharingan123 Offline
New Edulixian

Thanks for your inputs sj1987.
Could be you please tell me what was the motivation that made you leave a PSU and go for MS?Considering that you are opting for research field that makes sense.But i am a CS graduate and obviously a job and ROI are foremost to everything as we have to head ultimately to the corporates.Also what obfuscates the matter are the pointers that i have added.If someone could put forward some points in context to what i have analysed would be appreciated.
Tagging The_Observer.I've read your 10 commandments and i feel that you can really add some valuable inputs regarding this issue
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 07:26 PM by sharingan123.)
07-10-2012 07:26 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
I don't know your situation, and I'm never gonna be in your shoes, so I'll tell you what I thought about this. I was planning to take the UPSC too, as recently as 2 years ago (yes, after completing my MS), but I did not. My reasons were not due to a lack of interest - I was very interested in giving the IAS a shot - but 3 things stopped me from doing so: (1) lack of time to prepare well, without which taking up the UPSC is foolhardiness, (2) I know quite a few people who've worked in central gov or state gov jobs, and from discussions with them, I came to know that a lot depends on where you're posted, and more-or-less upon your superiors and colleagues and your relations with them (I mean, that's the case everywhere, but in the private sector, jumping ship is probably simpler), and (3) my long-term goals. While in the long-term, being a gov employee might be a good thing for many people, it probably isn't, for me, just like being out of India doesn't work for everyone. Personally, my problem was that I'd never worked in India, and my first job was in the US, so I have always been exposed to this independent, open sort of work environment where people aren't looking over your shoulder at every moment... and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get all that in an Indian gov org. That said, as sj1987 has said above, not every gov org is bad, corrupted or rife with politics - every org in every country has some internal politics involved, that's a fact anyway - but it all boils down to what you're looking for, and why. Personally, while I'd still relish the chance of working in India, especially at the grassroots level, I would need and cherish the sort of independence and unbiased assessment that is probably a bit difficult to get in an Indian gov org, from what I've heard. Do correct me if I'm wrong on this. HTH.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
07-10-2012 08:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Vegeta Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Vegeta Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 4
sharingan123
(07-10-2012 12:21 AM)sharingan123 Wrote:  Hi edulixians,

I came up here for some guidance. As this is primarily for people going to US of A ,i dont know if this would get any relevance. But am still bringing up this topic as it has been bothering me since long.I had taken up GRE in feb and was planning to apply.Now i have been bugged continuously by my parents to give some government exams (SSC and PSUs) and clear them as they have their sets of Pros.Considering the situation i am in,both MS and Government sector look soo lucrative.i am really confused at this point in time .If someone could help me out with some mature points and clarity in thought,it would help me deciding my future path.
Pros
"Job security" is something only those who are not confident about their abilities care about. Sure, private companies fire at will when the economy is down, but people should be smart enough to save for the rainy days. Again, if you're good enough, you should be able to get a new job easily.
2. A govt job provides you pension and other state+central benefits which really help after retirement.
Inflation rate >> rate of growth of pension. My 90 year old grandfather used to get 5k a month as pension.
3. Considering the situation today,these jobs do pay well.Not like post MS but yeah definitely have good money.
You should not compare post MS pay with pay in India. In one place you're earning in dollars and in another in rupees.
4. BEnifits from the government in terms of loan facilities,leaves etc though minor but realy are beneficial once you get into the job.
If you're making good money, getting a loan is not a problem.
5. YOu become a part of the process that truly drives the entire country.In whatever role.
No you don't. You become a part of an increasingly corrupt organization and whatever plans you have of improving the country are stonewalled by red tape and corruption.
Cons.
1. Office Politics and sicophancy and bribes is the only way you can lead a comfortable stay in your office.
It's not like private companies are free of sycophants and politics.

MS in MIS
Pros

The unemployment rate continues to be high. Unless you are in CS/EE, getting jobs is pretty difficult.
Even without an MS, it is always up to you to hone your skills. I don't see how you consider this to be MS specific.
4. Stay in the US and you enjoy the benefits of hygiene,mantained standards and obviously a better quality of life.
Possibly the biggest reason apart from quality of work that people flock to this country.
Cons
That's not true. Depends on how expensive a college you go to.
2. Job security.I might be naive here but you join the corporate world that too in a foreign land.That really is scary considering the volatile economy situations all over the world.
You can get fired as easily in an Indian company too.
3.No matter how educated or what level you have achieved,you will always be seen as an indian and discriminations do exist!
I don't know where you got this piece of information from. What kind of discrimination are you talking about?
Adding to that,i have an Ok financial situation.If it really makes sense in investing for MS,i would twitch a whisker,But at the moment i am completely confused.
TIA,
SHaringan123

07-13-2012 07:41 AM
raakii Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

raakii Offline

(07-13-2012 07:41 AM)Vegeta Wrote:  @[sharingan123]
(07-10-2012 12:21 AM)sharingan123 Wrote:  Hi edulixians,

Pros
"Job security" is something only those who are not confident about their abilities care about. Sure, private companies fire at will when the economy is down, but people should be smart enough to save for the rainy days. Again, if you're good enough, you should be able to get a new job easily.
Inflation rate >> rate of growth of pension. My 90 year old grandfather used to get 5k a month as pension.
You should not compare post MS pay with pay in India. In one place you're earning in dollars and in another in rupees.
If you're making good money, getting a loan is not a problem.
No you don't. You become a part of an increasingly corrupt organization and whatever plans you have of improving the country are stonewalled by red tape and corruption.
Cons.
It's not like private companies are free of sycophants and politics.

MS in MIS
Pros

The unemployment rate continues to be high. Unless you are in CS/EE, getting jobs is pretty difficult.
Even without an MS, it is always up to you to hone your skills. I don't see how you consider this to be MS specific.
Possibly the biggest reason apart from quality of work that people flock to this country.
Cons
That's not true. Depends on how expensive a college you go to.
You can get fired as easily in an Indian company too.
I don't know where you got this piece of information from. What kind of discrimination are you talking about?
TIA,
SHaringan123
Couldn't have thought of a better reply.I think the OP should get rid of instinctive thinking(sky is the limit etc) and start believing in his abilities(job security).

"The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." -Mark Twain
07-13-2012 10:00 AM
cvas Offline
Edulix Super Senior

cvas Offline
Edulix Super Senior

So what did you decide? Govt job or MS? Just curious.

11-11-2012 11:52 PM
vishnu009 Offline
New Edulixian

vishnu009 Offline
New Edulixian

hi friends.. i am vishnu. i am planning to apply for fall 2014. but the thing is i m having a low profile with gre 277, ielts 6, B.Tech 58%(backlogs 21). can you guys please me the universities which suits for my profile and can get admits.. thank you..
03-03-2014 01:10 PM
LiveYourDream123 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

LiveYourDream123 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 4
You are totally right in not choosing govt sector. Here in PSUs the one with talent is seen as a threat and not an asset. Hoarding knowledge acquired is rampant. They develop dependencies even after they become middle managers. I worked in CTS for 1.5 years before joining PSU, after joining PSU i totally dropped the goal of UPSC because even without power to sanction payment to contractors there is so much pressure on managers who want to go by the book, an IAS officer will have to execute 100s of crores of development projects. If he/she wants to be honest, god save them from the harassment they are going to face and in worst case scenario murder by mafia in almost every sector.
08-30-2015 11:48 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread