chinmay001vdus Offline
New Edulixian

chinmay001vdus Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Help regarding Design course admission
Dear all,

I am Chinmay Dharmadhikari from India and I wish to apply for Graduation in Design programs. I completed B.Tech in Electrical Engineering in 2011 from a renowned college. I have a great interest in arts, drawing and creative work. So, I got an interest in design courses like graphic design, industrial design, interaction design or any design related discipline. But I am stuck where should I apply and what are the chances of getting admitted with my profile. If I wish to get in to the Univ. what prerequisites should I should prepare for..
When started searching, I found some top universities for design courses such as CMU, Arizona state, Univ. of Illinois-Urbana... But I am not able to figure out which are ambitious or safe. Also I wanted to know what kind of work is actually there in the courses as in is it more of analytical or pure design...
I will be very thankful to you, if u can help me regarding this.

Here is my profile

I have completed B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from College of Engineering, Pune (COEP).

GRE – 313 (162 Quant +151 Verbal )

TOEFL : Results awaited (expected around 100)

CGPA – 8.01/10

2 internships – 1. Thermal power plant Eklahare 25 days

2. Ericon transformers, Nashik 1 month

1 paper published in National level conference of Machines and mechanisms about Novel 2 axis servo-control

Good at extracurricular – participated in many technical events(contraption,robotics), Cultural activities such as music group(flute player), magazine group (editor) etc.

Holder of Guinness world record for largest painting in world done in group.

Work experience 2 years as Design Engineer in Switchgear design and development department.

Actually I have great interest in Animation but with this i can not get into any animation course. So i am going to apply for other creative courses like design.

I am applying for fall 2013. I got your contact from university website. Please help me if you can.

Thanks and regards,

Chinmay Dharmadhiakri
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 09:26 AM by chinmay001vdus.)
10-01-2012 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
GravityEyelids Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

GravityEyelids Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

RE: Help regarding Design course admission
If you are interested in design courses - you have to demonstrate that you are a good designer. This is done through a portfolio. What goes in the portfolio depends on what you intend to study. Graphics design requires portfolios demonstrating good modeling and rendering along with good character animation skills. Industrial/product design requires you to have samples of some designs for future products or enhancements to existing products in novel ways. Interaction design requires your portfolio to demonstrate your ability to exemplify how humans interact with things or computing devices.
A good way to get your portfolio started is to start using design tools such as the ones provided by Adobe, Autodesk etc. and build content in a website. If you don't have a portfolio already, then unfortunately this can be a several months to year's task.
One of the key aspects to applying to design school is to leverage your existing expertise in unique ways. You may create designs inspired by your engineering background or an artistic piece that inspires you (including paintings, animated movies, real world designs such as buildings, nature etc). Another aspect is to tie form with function. There are thousands of designers out there who are excellent at using tools and creating beautiful renderings, but fail to explain how the design works. You need to pay attention to this aspect when you create your portfolio.
About courses, choosing a good school depends on what you would like to do. You should search for design schools that are exclusive. Some schools are good in industrial design course work while others are good in graphic design and art geared towards entertainment. US news rankings is a good starting point http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandre...ts-schools
Go through this list and do some research on your own about the kind of people that graduate from these programs and their portfolios. Based on that you may be able to figure out where you stand.
10-02-2012 09:33 AM
Mallinag Offline
New Edulixian

Mallinag Offline
New Edulixian

Hi GravityEyeLids, just came across this post by chinmay while searching fro info on communication design. i have a basic query, for which i have posted another thread too : Is GRE required for MFA or MS in design/visual communication or communication design course??
Or is it that only TOEFL and a good portfolio would do the work. This query came because while browsing for courses in various listed universities, i have not seen GRE as criteria in any of tehm. Only TOEFL and portfolio are the two requirement.
If you can clarify this doubt it would be of great help. I am planning for the fall 2013. Have started on my portfolio. Though not from design field, recently moved to UX designing and have been doing communication designing on an informal basis.
Have created few logo, many mailers/posters/banners for some or the other event or initiatives at office.
Awaiting response. thank you.
11-04-2012 12:42 AM
chinmay001vdus Offline
New Edulixian

chinmay001vdus Offline
New Edulixian

(10-02-2012 09:33 AM)GravityEyelids Wrote:  If you are interested in design courses - you have to demonstrate that you are a good designer. This is done through a portfolio. What goes in the portfolio depends on what you intend to study. Graphics design requires portfolios demonstrating good modeling and rendering along with good character animation skills. Industrial/product design requires you to have samples of some designs for future products or enhancements to existing products in novel ways. Interaction design requires your portfolio to demonstrate your ability to exemplify how humans interact with things or computing devices.
A good way to get your portfolio started is to start using design tools such as the ones provided by Adobe, Autodesk etc. and build content in a website. If you don't have a portfolio already, then unfortunately this can be a several months to year's task.
One of the key aspects to applying to design school is to leverage your existing expertise in unique ways. You may create designs inspired by your engineering background or an artistic piece that inspires you (including paintings, animated movies, real world designs such as buildings, nature etc). Another aspect is to tie form with function. There are thousands of designers out there who are excellent at using tools and creating beautiful renderings, but fail to explain how the design works. You need to pay attention to this aspect when you create your portfolio.
About courses, choosing a good school depends on what you would like to do. You should search for design schools that are exclusive. Some schools are good in industrial design course work while others are good in graphic design and art geared towards entertainment. US news rankings is a good starting point http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandre...ts-schools
Go through this list and do some research on your own about the kind of people that graduate from these programs and their portfolios. Based on that you may be able to figure out where you stand.
11-08-2012 02:13 PM
chinmay001vdus Offline
New Edulixian

chinmay001vdus Offline
New Edulixian

Hi GravityEyeLids,

Thanks a lot..... I have been searching for universities and found some good courses...aslo started making portfolio. Whatever i have i willl present in a designers perspective as u suggested...
here is the list... if u can help me with the choices...

CMU
Georgia tech university
Arizona state university
Pratt institute
University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
California college of arts

Almost all arew are ambitious but i could not find good courses anywhere else...
11-08-2012 02:19 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread