EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.
Skype Guidance Session 5th Feb

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
How to apply for RA/JRF at IITs/IISC... My experience and advice
fall13vox Offline
Administrator

fall13vox Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 8
Unisearch: Link
How to apply for RA/JRF at IITs/IISC... My experience and advice
This explanation is especially for those who will be applying for MS, and want to gain some research experience before that.

I’ll start by briefly describing my personal experience here. I started working here since August ‘12, soon after completion of my B.Tech in May ‘12. I work in Electrical Deptt (Microelectronics Deptt to be specific). Working as research fellow or associate is a very good job especially if you are interested in Research and want to do PhD. This job will give you a great insight about what it actually done in research. What you learn by working on your project is definitely beneficial, but what you will learn by watching other people lie PhD students and other RA will tell you a lot about your future life. In a way it can either make you interested in a R&D life or it will make you realize if this is not what you want. So its helpful in the both ways.

Selection Procedure:
There are two ways by which you can be employed as RA/JRF at IITs, IISC or any other institute. Also RAship is good only at IITs, IISC and CSIR Labs.

1) Apply through newspaper advertisements: Institutes put advertisements in almost all newspapers round the year. So just keep looking for such advertisements and apply. You will generally have a walk-in-interview for these positions (no written tests). Also if you have a good GATE score you might want to put that in your resume. Professors are impressed with good GATE score.

2) The second method is very tedious and needs a lot of patience. Sometimes Profs hire students for the project even before putting ads for it. So to grab this you will need to mail each Prof separately. I got JRF position by this method. Now here some things are to be kept in mind. Make sure you have some good projects or papers before mailing to a Prof or a good GATE score is always beneficial. Applying without a good project/paper/GATE score will be a waste of time, as Prof will not reply (because all Profs are always busy, and if you don't show something good or interesting in your resume, he/she will not waste time in replying). Now that you have a good profile, second step will be to go the each institute’s website and then look for Profs whose work interests you. Don’t start mailing to all the profs blindly. After selecting some Profs, you should start mailing 10-20 Profs daily. This is because most Profs will not reply. I mailed to over 900 Profs and got about 20-30 replies and out of these only 3 were positive. So you can see how tedious and boring this mailing job can be. Take care that you will have to mail each Prof individually, and not that 2-3 profs in the same mail. Also while writing the email (or if you are using a cover letter), don't make it very lengthy. A brief and to the point letter is good, as once again, Profs won't waste time in reading long letters.

I mailed to Profs not just in India but abroad too (was just trying my chance), and luckily got a positive reply from a Prof at NUS Singapore. He later took my interview as well via skype, which went good. But the problem was that the living cost was too much, and also I was going to apply abroad for MS for Fall ‘13 and it would be very difficult to coordinate with my college profs for LOR and my UG university for transcripts, so instead I decided to join IITB, which was the second positive reply. Therefore if you are also aiming for MS as next goal, I’d suggest you to mail Profs in Indian institutes only. For IITB, the Prof called me for interview. It was a technical interview with all basic question, and then I was hired. So If a prof calls you for interview, get your basics very strong and also revise your project or papers you published.

Merits of being a RA/JRF:
You will learn a lot... seriously, a lot. It will give you a very good experience in research and can help you to score RAship when doing MS, as you can show your experience as research fellow at IIT (my seniors have told me this). The environment is very good. You will learn about research ethics (which is very important if you want a PhD).

Apart from academic benefits, living in institutes like IIT will make you come across opportunities that you normally will not get a chance to experience like Workshops, seminars, conferences talks etc. You can also join sport activities or participate in cultural events. In short it will give you a very healthy environment to grow.

Negative side (not actually negative but less positive):
The only negative thing I feel working as JRF/RA is that its not financially helpful. You will not get more than 16K per month (and you will be lucky if you get this much).

How will it help in MS admit or later:
These points are suggested to me by my seniors:

Prior research experience in relevant field in helpful if you want to do MS with thesis from a good univ. It will be easier for you to convince a Prof while pursuing MS to take you as RA.
While working under a Prof at IIT/IISC, you can get a recommendation letter from them if you show good results in the project.
If you want to apply for PhD later, working as RA/JRF is any day better then working in a consultancy.

Last tip that I would like to share is that, if you are applying for this position and you have aim of doing MS/PhD from abroad a year later, then state this fact of your future plan clearly to the Prof under whom you will be working, before he hires you. This is because, some profs want RA students to work under them for a long period and then apply for PhD under them in the same institute, as this will be helpful for both Prof and the student. But if you have prepared yourself to do MS from abroad, then you must state this planning of yours (even on the risk that the Prof might not hire you), as you do not want to sabotage your relationship with Prof later.

All The Best...!!!

NO Infobank = NO Reply.
Important guidelines | VLSI/Micro/Nano/Circuit Design

Tag only for general queries or nanoelectronics/VLSI related doubts.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 09:16 AM by fall13vox.)
10-27-2012 09:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
RE: How to be a RA/JRF at IITs/IISC... My experience and advice
I am currently considering this as one of options, and that was quite helpful, thank you! Just a couple of questions, how does this compare with doing an MS/M.tech course at IISC/IITs if my ultimate aim is to get a PhD at a good university/professor?
I understand that I might not get much of an opportunity to do research during an M.Tech course, but what about MS?

Also, is it generally easier or more difficult to get a RA/JRF than to get an MS seat at IITs/IISc? I am in my final year and writing GATE in 2013, but I have no idea how it will turn out.
10-29-2012 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
fall13vox Offline
Administrator

fall13vox Offline
Administrator

(10-29-2012 06:27 PM)WiseyPS Wrote:  I am currently considering this as one of options, and that was quite helpful, thank you! Just a couple of questions, how does this compare with doing an MS/M.tech course at IISC/IITs if my ultimate aim is to get a PhD at a good university/professor?
I understand that I might not get much of an opportunity to do research during an M.Tech course, but what about MS?

Also, is it generally easier or more difficult to get a RA/JRF than to get an MS seat at IITs/IISc? I am in my final year and writing GATE in 2013, but I have no idea how it will turn out.
WiseyPS
Working as RA/JRF at IIT will give you some research experience, which can help you improve your profile to get admit for MS from abroad and also in grabbing RAship opportunities while pursuing MS. But if you want to do M.Tech from IIT or any other Indian institute, then working as RA will not help, as to get an admit in IIT for M.Tech the only parameter considered is GATE score. Though it may help while interview (but I'm not sure if you have to give an interview after qualifying GATE score for IIT).
When you do M.Tech in India, you don get much research opportunities, but with MS from abroad, if you opt for 'MS with Thesis' or M.Sc option, then you will have to work on you thesis while pursuing MS, which will give you good research exp.
But if you want to live in India and do M.Tech with research, then I'd suggest you to go for "MS by Research" which is granted at IITD, IITB (known as M.Tech-RA here) and IIT Madras.

Getting RA/JRF is easier than getting MS from abroad (in IIT/IISC its M.Tech not MS). But RA/JRF is a temporary job/position and with MS you obtain a degree, and so MS from abroad its definitely tougher.
Hope that clears your doubts. Smile

NO Infobank = NO Reply.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 07:52 PM by fall13vox.)
10-29-2012 07:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

(10-29-2012 07:48 PM)fall13vox Wrote:  
(10-29-2012 06:27 PM)WiseyPS Wrote:  I am currently considering this as one of options, and that was quite helpful, thank you! Just a couple of questions, how does this compare with doing an MS/M.tech course at IISC/IITs if my ultimate aim is to get a PhD at a good university/professor?

@[WiseyPS]
Working as RA/JRF at IIT will give you some research experience, which can help you improve your profile to get admit for MS from abroad and also in grabbing RAship opportunities while pursuing MS. But if you want to do M.Tech from IIT or any other Indian institute, then working as RA will not help, as to get an admit in IIT for M.Tech the only parameter considered is GATE score. Though it may help while interview (but I'm not sure if you have to give an interview after qualifying GATE score for IIT).
When you do M.Tech in India, you don get much research opportunities, but with MS from abroad, if you opt for 'MS with Thesis' or M.Sc option, then you will have to work on you thesis while pursuing MS, which will give you good research exp.
But if you want to live in India and do M.Tech with research, then I'd suggest you to go for "MS by Research" which is granted at IITD, IITB (known as M.Tech-RA here) and IIT Madras.

Getting RA/JRF is easier than getting MS from abroad (in IIT/IISC its M.Tech not MS). But RA/JRF is a temporary job/position and with MS you obtain a degree, and so MS from abroad its definitely tougher.
Hope that clears your doubts. Smile
fall13vox
I am sorry, I did not make myself clear enough in the original post. I currently have no intention of doing an MS abroad. However I do wish to do my PhD abroad, before which I plan to get a graduate degree in India, to give myself the time and opportunity to improve my skills and knowledge, as well as my profile.
Hence I am going to write GATE to get into IITs/IISc, in courses similar to the 8th one in this link:
http://www.iitm.ac.in/academic-programmes
My question is, if I fail to get into IITs for some reason or the other, how does an RA/JRF compare to an M.Tech/MS from IITs in terms of learning and profile improvement, in view of my aim to do a PhD at a good university and/or with a good professor abroad?
10-31-2012 10:03 AM
prithviyr1 Offline
Edulix Active Member

prithviyr1 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
(10-27-2012 09:26 PM)fall13vox Wrote:  Many UG students asked me how did I landed into IITB as Research Fellow, what is the procedure, how important is it for MS and all such doubts. So I though to make a thread about it with all details and what to do and what not.

I’ll start by briefly describing my personal experience here. I started working here since August ‘12, soon after completion of my B.Tech in May ‘12. I work in Electrical Deptt (Microelectronics Deptt to be specific). Working as research fellow or associate is a very good job especially if you are interested in Research and want to do PhD. This job will give you a great insight about what it actually done in research. What you learn by working on your project is definitely beneficial, but what you will learn by watching other people lie PhD students and other RA will tell you a lot about your future life. In a way it can either make you interested in a R&D life or it will make you realize if this is not what you want. So its helpful in the both ways. I won’t discuss anything about my project and all, as I am not supposed to.

Selection Procedure:
There are two ways by which you can be employed as RA/JRF at IITs, IISC or any other institute. Also RAship is good only at IITs, IISC and CSIR Labs.

1) Apply through newspaper advertisements: Institutes put advertisements in almost all newspapers round the year. So just keep looking for such advertisements and apply. You will generally have a walk-in-interview for these positions (no written tests). Also if you have a good GATE score you might want to put that in your resume. Professors are impressed with good GATE score.

2) The second method is very tedious and needs a lot of patience. Sometimes Profs hire students for the project even before putting ads for it. So to grab this you will need to mail each Prof separately. I got JRF position by this method. Now here some things are to be kept in mind. Make sure you have some good projects or papers before mailing to a Prof or a good GATE score is always beneficial. Applying without a good project/paper/GATE score will be a waste of time, as Prof will not reply. Now that you have a good profile, second step will be to go the each institute’s website and then look for Profs whose work interests you. Don’t start mailing to all profs blindly. After selecting some Profs, you should start mailing 10-20 Profs daily. This is because most Profs will not reply. I mailed to over 900 Profs and got about 20-30 replies and out of these only 3 were positive. So you can see how tedious and boring this mailing job can be.

I mailed to Profs not just in India but abroad too (was just trying my chance), and luckily got a positive reply from a Prof at NUS Singapore. He later took my interview as well via skype, which went good. But the problem was that despite he agreed to give me stipend, the living cost was too much, and also I was going to apply abroad for MS for Fall ‘13 and it would be very difficult to coordinate with my college profs for LOR and my UG university for transcripts, so instead I decided to join my second positive reply that as IITB. Therefore if you are also aiming for MS as next goal, I’d suggest you to mail Profs in Indian institutes only. For IITB, the Prof called me for interview. It was a technical interview (first interview of my life Razz) with all basic question, and then I was hired. So If a prof calls you for interview, get your basics very strong and also revise your project or papers you published.

Merits of being a RA/JRF:
You will learn a lot... seriously, a lot. It will give you a very good experience in research and can help you to score RAship when doing MS, as you can show your experience as research fellow at IIT (my seniors have told me this). The environment is very good. You will learn about research ethics (which is very important if you want a PhD).

Apart from academic benefits, living in institutes like IIT will make you come across opportunities that you normally will not get a chance to experience like Workshops, seminars, conferences talks etc. You can also join sport activities or participate in cultural events. In short it will give you a very healthy environment to grow.

Negative side (not actually negative but less positive):
The only negative thing I feel working as JRF/RA is that its not financially helpful. You will not get more than 16K per month (and you will be lucky if you get this much).

How will it help in MS admit or later:
These points are suggested to me by my seniors:

Prior research experience in relevant field in helpful if you want to do MS with thesis from a good univ. It will be easier for you to convince a Prof while pursuing MS to take you as RA.
While working under a Prof at IIT/IISC, you can get a recommendation letter from them if you show good results in the project.
If you want to apply for PhD later, working as RA/JRF is any day better then working in a consultancy.

Last tip that I would like to share is that, if you are applying for this position and you have aim of doing MS/PhD from abroad a year later, then state this fact of your future plan clearly to the Prof under whom you will be working, before he hires you. This is because, some profs want RA students to work under them for a long period and then apply for PhD under them in the same institute, as this will be helpful for both Prof and the student. But if you have prepared yourself to do MS from abroad, then you must state this planning of yours (even on the risk that the Prof might not hire you), as you do not want to sabotage your relationship with Prof later.

All The Best...!!

fall13vox

Thanks a ton for your informative post, i was on the lookout for such posts. I have a question for you though, what if an average student with not so gud projects or papers to boast of, applies for RA or JRF?? I mean does he stand a chance and what kind of application pool one encounters while applying for RA/JRF? If the application pool is crowded with star performers, where does an average guy stand..,?

10-31-2012 10:57 AM
fall13vox Offline
Administrator

fall13vox Offline
Administrator

(10-31-2012 10:03 AM)WiseyPS Wrote:  I am sorry, I did not make myself clear enough in the original post. I currently have no intention of doing an MS abroad. However I do wish to do my PhD abroad, before which I plan to get a graduate degree in India, to give myself the time and opportunity to improve my skills and knowledge, as well as my profile.
Hence I am going to write GATE to get into IITs/IISc, in courses similar to the 8th one in this link:
My question is, if I fail to get into IITs for some reason or the other, how does an RA/JRF compare to an M.Tech/MS from IITs in terms of learning and profile improvement, in view of my aim to do a PhD at a good university and/or with a good professor abroad?
WiseyPS
Okay.. I'd suggest you to take M.Tech prog (for MS from IITM) seriously, because applying for a PhD abroad directly after B.Tech (with 1 year or 2 as RA/JRF) is not at all comparable to doing M.Tech and then applying for PhD. So if you have no plans for MS, then do M.Tech and then apply for PhD from abroad.
I was in a similar dilemma a few months ago, so I dropped PhD plan currently and joined as RA here at IITB, and now will app for MS in Fall'13. So after MS I will do PhD (from a lot better institute, than I'd have done just after B.Tech with RA exp).
Here is a thread of mine with similar doubts, hope it helps you (http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=113103).

NO Infobank = NO Reply.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 04:47 PM by fall13vox.)
10-31-2012 04:43 PM
fall13vox Offline
Administrator

fall13vox Offline
Administrator

(10-31-2012 10:57 AM)prithviyr1 Wrote:  Thanks a ton for your informative post, i was on the lookout for such posts. I have a question for you though, what if an average student with not so gud projects or papers to boast of, applies for RA or JRF?? I mean does he stand a chance and what kind of application pool one encounters while applying for RA/JRF? If the application pool is crowded with star performers, where does an average guy stand..,?

prithviyr1
If a student with avg projects want to apply for RA/JRF, I'd recommend to apply by the first method (via newspaper ads).
I did not mean that he has no chance of getting the position, but I wanted to say that if one has no papers published or some research, then the chance of getting replies via mail by the Prof (according to the second method) is less. Like I do not have an exceptional profile (I just had one paper published), so I had to mail 900+ Prof just to get 3 positive replies. But once you get a reply, you stand an equal chance of getting the position against the one with a good profile (because it depends a lot in the interview).
So if you have an avg profile like me, then try for first method (it will save you a lot of time and energy).
Though you can try mailing Profs side by side to boost your chances for RA.
I think I should make this more clear in my post above. Smile

NO Infobank = NO Reply.

10-31-2012 04:59 PM
WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

(10-31-2012 04:43 PM)fall13vox Wrote:  
(10-31-2012 10:03 AM)WiseyPS Wrote:  I am sorry, I did not make myself clear enough in the original post. I currently have no intention of doing an MS abroad. However I do wish to do my PhD abroad, before which I plan to get a graduate degree in India, to give myself the time and opportunity to improve my skills and knowledge, as well as my profile.
@[WiseyPS]
Okay.. I'd suggest you to take M.Tech prog (for MS from IITM) seriously, because applying for a PhD abroad directly after B.Tech (with 1 year or 2 as RA/JRF) is not at all comparable to doing M.Tech and then applying for PhD. So if you have no plans for MS, then do M.Tech and then apply for PhD from abroad.
I was in a similar dilemma a few months ago, so I dropped PhD plan currently and joined as RA here at IITB, and now will app for MS in Fall'13. So after MS I will do PhD (from a lot better institute, than I'd have done just after B.Tech with RA exp).
Here is a thread of mine with similar doubts, hope it helps you (http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=113103).
Thank you, that was very helpful. I guess I will evaluate my options after giving GATE next year.
10-31-2012 05:43 PM
ajinkyakwl1@gmail.com Offline
New Edulixian

ajinkyakwl1@gmail.com Offline
New Edulixian

Can you please give the mail list of those 900 professors (link, etc) of Electrical dept.
12-09-2012 07:31 PM
fall13vox Offline
Administrator

fall13vox Offline
Administrator

(12-09-2012 07:31 PM)ajinkyakwl1@gmail.com Wrote:  Can you please give the mail list of those 900 professors (link, etc) of Electrical dept.

1) Fill your infobank.
2) I did not make any list of profs, so I dont have any.
3) Even if I had any list, it has very less probability that we have exactly same interests, so the list would have been of no use to you.
4) you will have to go to each univ's website and look for profs on your own. NO SHORTCUTS..!!

NO Infobank = NO Reply.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 08:02 PM by fall13vox.)
12-09-2012 08:00 PM
jonamanoj1992 Offline
New Edulixian

jonamanoj1992 Offline
New Edulixian

Hello,
I am in my 8th semester right now. Wanted to apply to IISC-banglore for a summer intern. The website says 8th semester students cant apply. Any other alternative for this?...btw trying out for the iit's too...please help me in this regard
03-02-2013 08:51 PM
fall13vox Offline
Administrator

fall13vox Offline
Administrator

jonamanoj1992 I see that you have already received admit for Fall 13, so why do you wish to apply for internship at this time? Just after completing your B.Tech you'll be heading to US so you wont have any time to do internship or RAship.

NO Infobank = NO Reply.

03-02-2013 11:54 PM
jonamanoj1992 Offline
New Edulixian

jonamanoj1992 Offline
New Edulixian

The websites say tat it will be from may-july..which is pretty convenient for me. I thought a research experience would help me secure an RA in the U.S. I just have 1 doubt. Are we allowed to join the summer internship program after completing our degree. Cause the website says we should be in our 3rd year. And when did u do yours?
03-03-2013 11:39 AM
fall13vox Offline
Administrator

fall13vox Offline
Administrator

No we are not allowed to join this intern after b.Tech.
I did not do intern at IITB, I worked as research fellow.

NO Infobank = NO Reply.

03-03-2013 03:13 PM
manu tom Offline
Edulix Active Member

manu tom Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 3
Hey, I am now working as a Research/Project Assistant in Video Analytics Lab in IISc. We have 2 vacancies. Details are in our lab webpage.

http://www.serc.iisc.ernet.in/~venky/VAL/openings.htm

Nature of Research : Computer Vision, Video Analytics and Image Processing.

I am a monsterrrrrrrrrrr

Unisearch Profile | Computer Vision | Video Processing Univs

UCSD | UCSB | UCI-CS | McGill | TUM | ASU | Penn State | NTU-PhD | UCR | UOA | UCF| RWTH
03-12-2013 04:12 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread