BTU Cottbus- Power Engineering/Sustainable Energy Supply, Winter-2013
shahin_8943 Offline
Edulix Active Member

shahin_8943 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
Unisearch: Link
BTU Cottbus- Power Engineering/Sustainable Energy Supply, Winter-2013
Join in this thread if you got admission at BTU in Power Engineering/Sustainable Energy Supply.

I would also ask seniors kindly highlight about the reputation of this course of BTU, the job perspective of this course from BTU along with the Phd opportunities (I know it depends a lot on individual qualifications but i am disposed to know an overview reputation-wise) and the part-time job opportunities both on-campus and off-campus.

Please share your experience seniors.

The Khula Saand
gowthamtce
yogi1
anuragm
das_german

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 11:09 AM by shahin_8943.)
07-13-2013 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gowthamtce Offline
Profile Evaluator of the Year-2012

gowthamtce Offline
Profile Evaluator of the Year-2012

RE: BTU Cottbus- Power Engineering/Sustainable Energy Supply, Winter-2013
Its one of TU9 universities in Germany and all TU9 university have good reputation. Generally the German universities dont look much into rankings. You can continue Phd if you fulfill the qualification for that, it doesn't depend on the university btw

M.Sc Sustainable Energy Engineering at KTH , Sweden and EPFL, Switzerland
Tag me for profile evaluation
07-13-2013 09:50 PM
The Khula Saand Offline
Best EduName

The Khula Saand Offline
Best EduName

Likes Given: 0
adding to what gowtham said ,
the course is pretty good , well structured. plenty of renewable energy jobs in germany

No more active on Edulix
07-13-2013 10:52 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
If you are aiming for a PhD, then take up the program that interests you most (read: coursework and research) and then try to get to work with the research groups at the university/research institute (RI). The reputation of the university will hardly matter if you are able to get some good quality research under your belt. This is because research in Germany is fairly distributed among the Universities and other RIs like Max-Planck, Fraunhofer, Leibnitz and Helmholtz. Most of the times you can continue in the same group for a PhD if you do well in your masters.

Most part-time jobs require you to know at least basic German. An exception would be working as a academic HiWi, but then I cannot really tell you about those because they even vary with faculty in the same university. FYI, the RIs in Cottbus may also employ you as a HiWi. Most of the times, they are offered only when you get noticed in classroom discussions or your performance in the exams. Most other on-campus jobs will require the knowledge of German. As for off-campus part-time jobs, my guess will be that there are not many in a place like Cottbus if you don't speak the language. However, Berlin is close and a lot of people go there to work, especially during the semester breaks.

07-17-2013 06:57 PM
MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

shahin_8943
I just can hope you have not made your decision yet.
BTU Cottbus is no way near a TU9 university (TU9 universities). Gowthamtce seems to have confused it with TU Braunschweig or TU Berlin.

1. The reviews about this university have not been good. BTU Cottbus appears to be sham kind of university (See here). Some may still believe this is a website by some disgruntled students, but for a German University, this is rare (as students pay no or nominal fees so why the disgruntlement). If you read the website properly, it will know its by a foreign student who studied Masters in Environmental and Resource Management at BTU Cottbus. Even, through reading this website alone you will find plenty of reasons, not to attend this university.

2. If you notice the collaborations it has with partner universities for dual degree programs in power engineering (See here), the partner universities first carry out an Qualification Examination to select students for the dual degree programme, which is very rare for a dual degree programme even if it were for space constraints as it can be inferred from this statement - It is agreed that up to 8 students of each university will be admitted into the dual degree programme per year.
This point is an ambivalent one.
Tagging the edulix heavyweight The_Observer here for his opinions and insight.

3. Even I was contemplating this program for Power Plant Technology stream, but after doing an extensive research about this university, I outright decided against it. I can't remember where I saw it, whether on Edulix or on Orkut Germany forum or somewhere else, a review by a student studying in Germany mentioned it is not a reputed university in Germany, and offers admits to very Tom, Dick and Harry. It said mostly those students join here who just want a Masters degree in Germany and if you have a choice, go somewhere else.
I trying hard to locate the source again, but have met with little success, I will surely quote its source once I get it.

4. The Khula Saand The course structure which at first may seem very good and structured, is superficial to say the least. Its courses have very good titles but the course contents are nothing more than what is offered at undergraduate level. I think this is also mentioned in a one review somewhere across the internet, can't remember whered'oh!d'oh!.
If you look at Power Plant Technology courses I and II, the contents are nothing more than what you get at UG level, and in second,i.e part-II one, they claim to teach "construction of heat exchangers in power plants; turbines and pumps in power plants; electrical engineering equipment for power generation, transmission and auxiliary power requirement, control technology; safety and protection systems; hydroelectric and nuclear power plants, fuel cells, hydrogen economy" all in one semester. This will require a superhuman effort Very HappyVery Happy to teach these many topics in one semester or they will deal with these topics superficially whether you understand it or not.
The advanced courses that is the specialization or elective courses such as
Energy Information Systems
International Management
Power Automation
Signal Processing and Optimization Methods in Data Mining
Sustainable Use of Underground Resources
Technology and Operation of Wind Turbines
Wind Energy Economics, Wind Resources Estimation and many more
are offered as one week blocks/seminars in each semester - here is the official statement from the syllabus -
"The lecture will be organized as a one week block seminar in each of the semesters. The script will be handed out in advance and it will be expected that the students will prepare the block seminar by self organized studies.."
You should wonder why is it so, normally in other universities, all courses are taken per semester and not for entire program duration i.e prolonging in other semesters. What could possibly be the reason. Is it that they don't have full-time facultyRolling EyesRolling Eyes, who comes in fly-by-fashion and takes the course for one-week and leaves. Otherwise why can't a course be finished in a single semester, whats the reason.These are some of the questions I asked myself before deciding on this programme.
Just compare the contents of the courses you like with those from other German Universities and your UG curriculum, I will surely think you will reach a conclusion not different than mine.

4. Now, regarding what anuragm said, its true but its a generalization, the post can fit any small university near Berlin. Now lets get specific to BTU Cottbus, students struggle to find even proper thesis topics to carry out research there, this is mentioned for the programme you want to go. Its also mentions it shares good rapport with Siemens, which is bound to happen for a single technical university in an entire state.
For more information, read this

5. If you are wondering inspite of all this, why does the university have collaborations with enterprises, in my opinion this is because its the only technical university in the state of Brandenburg, that too a Government one, implying if you are a single state -funded technical university, in a federal state in Germany you are bound to have some collaborations, as moreover Germany has a culture of University - Industry collaborations no matter what the university. As far as collaboration with State Grid of China is concerned thats through dual-programme I believe, as straight away a govt./state university in Germany can't collaborate with the national power company of another country, moreover, its China in this case.

6. Moreover, BTU is located East Germany, in a not-so-friendly neighborhood. For more information on Cottbus you can read Living in Germany forums. The university environment though is considered secure but still the neighborhood has experienced some xenophobic events and there is also prevalence of pro-Hitler groups. You could have seen in the website mentioned in Point one.

Now, I have never been to Germany. All the opinions and facts above are based on my research through internet, and may not be cent percent accurate.
You have got very good acads capable of getting admits from better universities, I believe. Ultimately, you are the creator of your own destiny and have to take your own decisions. I could only help you so far. Just google BTU cottbus, and read all the pages you get in resultsWink.
God helps those who help themselves Very Happy.

People who live by the sword, die by it.

Arre baba...I am talking about the swordsmith not the warrior!
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 02:05 AM by MechiesRule.)
07-29-2013 05:02 PM
MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

shahin_8943Also, do a thorough edgoogle search. You will find plenty of students doubting its credibility.

07-29-2013 05:47 PM
shahin_8943 Offline
Edulix Active Member

shahin_8943 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(07-29-2013 05:02 PM)MechiesRule Wrote:  @[shahin_8943]
I am surprised and shocked to see one senior @[gowthamtce] claiming it to be a TU9 university. Its no way near a TU9 university (TU9 universities). Gowthamtce seems to have confused it with TU Braunschweig or TU Berlin.
Others leaving no stone unturned in starting a mutual admiration society. No body seems to verify the other before endorsing one.

1. The reviews about this university have not been good. BTU Cottbus appears to be sham kind of university (See here). Some may still believe this is a website by some disgruntled students, but for a German University, this is rare (as students pay no or nominal fees so why the disgruntlement). If you read the website properly, it will know its by a foreign student who studied Masters in Environmental and Resource Management at BTU Cottbus. Even, through reading this website alone you will find plenty of reasons, not to attend this university.

2. If you notice the collaborations it has with partner universities for dual degree programs in power engineering (See here), the partner universities first carry out an Qualification Examination to select students for the dual degree programme, which is very rare for a dual degree programme even if it were for space constraints as it can be inferred from this statement - It is agreed that up to 8 students of each university will be admitted into the dual degree programme per year.
This point is an ambivalent one.
Tagging the edulix heavyweight @[The_Observer] here for his opinions and insight.

3. At one point of time before joining my job, even I was contemplating this program for Power Plant Technology stream, but after doing an extensive research about this university, I outright decided against it. I can't remember where I saw it, whether on Edulix or on Orkut Germany forum or somewhere else, a review by a student studying in Germany mentioned it is not a reputed university in Germany, and offers admits to very Tom, Dick and Harry. It said mostly those students join here who just want a Masters degree in Germany and if you have a choice, go somewhere else.
I trying hard to locate the source again, but have met with little success, I will surely quote its source once I get it.

4. @[The Khula Saand] The course structure which at first may seem very good and structured, is superficial to say the least. Its courses have very good titles but the course contents are nothing more than what is offered at undergraduate level. I think this is also mentioned in a one review somewhere across the internet, can't remember whered'oh!d'oh!.
If you look at Power Plant Technology courses I and II, the contents are nothing more than what you get at UG level, and in second,i.e part-II one, they claim to teach "construction of heat exchangers in power plants; turbines and pumps in power plants; electrical engineering equipment for power generation, transmission and auxiliary power requirement, control technology; safety and protection systems; hydroelectric and nuclear power plants, fuel cells, hydrogen economy" all in one semester. This will require a superhuman effort Very HappyVery Happy to teach these many topics in one semester or they will deal with these topics superficially whether you understand it or not.
The advanced courses that is the specialization or elective courses such as
Energy Information Systems
International Management
Power Automation
Signal Processing and Optimization Methods in Data Mining
Sustainable Use of Underground Resources
Technology and Operation of Wind Turbines
Wind Energy Economics, Wind Resources Estimation and many more
are offered as one week blocks/seminars in each semester - here is the official statement from the syllabus -
"The lecture will be organized as a one week block seminar in each of the semesters. The script will be handed out in advance and it will be expected that the students will prepare the block seminar by self organized studies.."
You should wonder why is it so, normally in other universities, all courses are taken per semester and not for entire program duration i.e prolonging in other semesters. What could possibly be the reason. Is it that they don't have full-time facultyRolling EyesRolling Eyes, who comes in fly-by-fashion and takes the course for one-week and leaves. Otherwise why can't a course be finished in a single semester, whats the reason.These are some of the questions I asked myself before deciding on this programme.
Just compare the contents of the courses you like with those from other German Universities and your UG curriculum, I will surely think you will reach a conclusion not different than mine.

4. Now, regarding what anuragm said, its true but its a generalization, the post can fit any small university near Berlin. Now lets get specific to BTU Cottbus, students struggle to find even proper thesis topics to carry out research there, this is mentioned for the programme you want to go. Its also mentions it shares good rapport with Siemens, which is bound to happen for a single technical university in an entire state.
For more information, read this

5. If you are wondering inspite of all this, why does the university have collaborations with enterprises, in my opinion this is because its the only technical university in the state of Brandenburg, that too a Government one, implying if you are a single state -funded technical university, in a federal state in Germany you are bound to have some collaborations, as moreover Germany has a culture of University - Industry collaborations no matter what the university. As far as collaboration with State Grid of China is concerned thats through dual-programme I believe, as straight away a govt./state university in Germany can't collaborate with the national power company of another country, moreover, its China in this case.

6. Moreover, BTU is located East Germany, in a not-so-friendly neighborhood. For more information on Cottbus you can read Living in Germany forums. The university environment though is considered secure but still the neighborhood has experienced some xenophobic events and there is also prevalence of pro-Hitler groups. You could have seen in the website mentioned in Point one.

Now, I have never been to Germany. All the opinions and facts above are based on my research through internet, and may not be cent percent accurate.
You have got very good acads capable of getting admits from better universities, I believe. Ultimately, you are the creator of your own destiny and have to take your own decisions. I could only help you so far. Just google BTU cottbus, and read all the pages you get in resultsWink.
God helps those who help themselves Very Happy.
What surprised me was even three Edulix seniors, could not see a noob through a university like BTU Cottbusd'oh! and not even one corrected the TU9 blunder.

Thanks for the insight MechiesRule . I am disposed to do my post-graduation in the area of power engineering. The problem is that depending on my research interest I have not left much options at hand other than to attend the program at BTU. Here is list of the programs I applied for this year-

1. KIC INNO Energy-
a) Smart City- ended up being on waiting list @21
b) SENSE-ended up being on waiting list@42

2. NTNU, Norway-power engineering -Rejected (They take only 10 international students around the world for this program)

3. TUM- Power engineering- Rejected after giving interview. I had given 38 marks in the interview on the other hand they needed at least 40 to be selected)

4. University of Freiburg- Renewable energy management- Ended up being in waiting list (They have a country limit of maximum 3 students from one country. They said to me 19 students from Bangladesh fulfilled all admission criteria and were part of the selection round. You are on rank 4, but since 3 students from Bangladesh were ranked before you and already confirmed their participation there is only a chance if one rejects the study place soon)

5. POLIMI- Electrical engineering- Accepted (will not go there)

6. University of Magdeburg- Electrical engineering and IT- Accepted but problem the course curriculum is not much impressive

7. KIT- Electrical and IT- result still to be announced.

8. BTU-power engineering- Accepted

I know with my profile it is possible to get into one of the TU9 universities if I change my research interest from power to communication. Among the TU9 universities only RWTH and TUM offers power engineering. But due to not having GRE I was not able to apply at RWTH. I was applied at BTU to seeing their course curriculum of the EPE program. Now I am in a dubious state to attend the program at BTU. If I
dont go at BTU this year dan I would loose 1 year on the other hand power engineering related program in Germany are very few Brick wall

07-29-2013 06:32 PM
MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

shahin_8943 I am not qualified enough to comment for your selection of universities unfortunately as I don't belong to your field neither am I aware of the universities in question for electrical engineering.
If you believe you can get into RWTH Aachen after giving GRE, there's nothing like it then.You can even opt to work for a year and give GRE, and try for better German, US or Singapore universities.
Regarding BTU Cottbus, its your call. I have put as many as resources I could find at your disposal. The website in point 4 in my post above, mentions all the relevant points, they have all the relevant information you want there.

07-29-2013 07:11 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
MechiesRule

(07-29-2013 05:02 PM)MechiesRule Wrote:  @[shahin_8943]
I am surprised and shocked to see one senior @[gowthamtce] claiming it to be a TU9 university. Its no way near a TU9 university (TU9 universities). Gowthamtce seems to have confused it with TU Braunschweig or TU Berlin.
Others leaving no stone unturned in starting a mutual admiration society. No body seems to verify the other before endorsing one.

Such kind of comments will not be appreciated by the seniors. If a senior is wrong, he will admit it. We are all here to share our personal experiences and give advice to future applicants. But the way you have mocked the mentioned senior "surprised and shocked to see one senior @[gowthamtce] claiming it to be a TU9 university", that is really pathetic. Because of such users like you who think that they are all-knowing, many seniors are irked from using Edulix. You could have mentioned the mistake in a more polite manner but you proceeded to mock the seniors.

Tagging the edulix heavyweight @[The_Observer] here for his opinions and insight.

I don't think T_O will be amused by your antics. I hope you are not banned. You have done a lot of research but the tone with which you are writing your comments is really demeaning. I hope you change that in the future posts.

What surprised me was even three Edulix seniors, could not see a noob through a university like BTU Cottbusd'oh! and not even one corrected the TU9 blunder.

There you go again. I hope you are understanding what I mean.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 07:39 PM by nimbus_2000.)
07-29-2013 07:39 PM
MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MechiesRule Offline
Edulix Frequent User

shahin_8943
I think you haven't seen this programme
http://www.epe.tu-darmstadt.de/home_1/ho...ews.en.jsp
Its sounds really good to me.

nimbus_2000
You seem to have mistaken me grosslyVery HappyVery Happy. But anyways I will clarify all your grievances against me.
Regarding your first point, yeah that may have been unintentionally nasty. But I did it to bring attention to a sort of mutual admiration society running where a senior member can get away commenting anything he wants and if a new member replies to it. Other associated members pounce on him, without even looking at the root cause. Its sort of you look at my back, I will look back at yours. I experienced in my first thread.
I don't believe in senior-junior thing, I respect everyone equally by virtue of their work. I try to help anyone in whatever way I can with the little intellect God has given me, in no way trying to show-off or out-smart others. Thats just NOT me.

The OP was on his way, to BTU Cottbus, had I not posted about it.
Had he reached there, it would have been a disaster because senior members recommended it. Thats where my shock came. And rightly so.

I apologize to you, if you found it offensive. But still I stand clear on its intent, just apologize for the way it came out to beEmbarassed.

Now, regarding saying T_O as Edulix heavyweight. He is a heavyweight. I don't respect him for the no. of stars he has on him. I don't even know the number. I revere him for the posts he has written. And thats not because you recommended me for banVery Happy. Together with ATB, The Gaussian, The Minuteman and him, I haven't seen a more wonderful assemblage of posts anywhere. I just read them for their intellectuality (if such word exists) even they aren't related to my field and heck, even if I don't understand themd'oh!. Calling him heavyweight, was in no way a mockery of his. I can't think of it. That was my way of paying him my respects. And incidentally it was my first call to him. And you think I am mocking himd'oh!d'oh!.

07-29-2013 08:23 PM
gparam Away
Super Moderator Emeritus

gparam Away
Super Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 100
MechiesRule You are entitled to your views. I dont know much about German universities so I surely cannot comment on whether you are right or wrong on your views about this certain university. Calling The Black Swan and pulse to comment on that.

The problem i have is with you mocking the seniors here. Instead of mocking them, if you had just posted your views here and tagged them, it could have been a healthy discussion. Nothing banworthy has been done here but please give room for a discussion next time. You could have easily avoided those statements.

I do not exist. So don't bother tagging me or sending PMs. I am so busy now that it took me 6 months to change my signature.
07-29-2013 08:33 PM
The Black Swan Away
European Nerd

The Black Swan Away
European Nerd

Likes Given: 43
(07-29-2013 08:33 PM)gparam Wrote:  @[MechiesRule] You are entitled to your views. I dont know much about German universities so I surely cannot comment on whether you are right or wrong on your views about this certain university. Calling @[The Black Swan] and @[pulse] to comment on that.

The problem i have is with you mocking the seniors here. Instead of mocking them, if you had just posted your views here and tagged them, it could have been a healthy discussion. Nothing banworthy has been done here but please give room for a discussion next time. You could have easily avoided those statements.

++1 to what garam said

We appreciate your effort but not the attitude. Please try to be polite and try not to ridicule. We encourage healthy discussions but not this ... Rolling Eyes

Level -9
Prof Eval Guide|Univ Specific Index|ECE Specialization Thread| Elements of SOP

Instead of Tagging me for moving, locking and other thread moderations,
Use Reporting option please.

Destination: Erasmus Mundus Nano Program... or so dearly called the **Eruma Mundam** program by KJ & Meow

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so..."
07-29-2013 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
pulse Offline

pulse Offline

Likes Given: 3
MechiesRule: On behalf of the moderating team I would like to make a few remarks:

1. Feel free to shred anyone's opinions to shreds, be it a newbie or a heavyweight. You are entitled to do so and in fact it is desirable when backed by sufficient proof or first hand experience. In all fairness you seem to have given some references (which I have not checked, but that's besides the point).

2. However, we at this forum do not permit making insulting or hostile remarks. That's a rule. This is a forum to discuss important matters and decorum has to be maintained at all costs. Even if a person is wrong, you can point it out in as many words. No one here has all the information others might need. And indeed people might be wrong at times.

3. Certain seniors might have helped dozens of folks so insulting them might not draw a response from them per se but it will attract the ire of others.

4. Now that my point has been made, lets forget this unpleasantness. I am sure you will stick to the norms henceforth. So stay active and stay classy!

PS: All other posters--No more bashing the OP. What had to be communicated has been done. So please continue with constructive discussions on this thread.

Tag me to get a response.
Currently at KUL and TU/e.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 10:49 PM by pulse.)
07-29-2013 10:48 PM
eldrichr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

eldrichr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

BTU Cottbus is not a TU9 university.

That is indeed TU Braunschweig.

About their power engineering program, I too was considering it at one point but since i could not find any reliable references to it, either from people in Germany or online, i decided to not apply.

@MechiesRule, i somehow doubt that 'sham' universities can exist for very long in places like Germany.

Nothing further to add.

Now at Aalto University, Department of Electrical Engineering (Electric Power Engineering, in other words)
07-29-2013 11:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
eldrichr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

eldrichr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Now at Aalto University, Department of Electrical Engineering (Electric Power Engineering, in other words)
07-29-2013 11:36 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread