German visa - Chennai consulate & generic visa application form guide
SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
German visa - Chennai consulate & generic visa application form guide
All these are not out of my experience alone, rather these are snippets of hints, the experiences of fellow edulixians and the information present throughout Edulix. I'm just compiling it together.

The Visa application

The first and foremost step is opening a blocked account.
Sometimes, one can start the visa application without the blocked account created, yet the blocked account needs to be opened and the money transferred to the account before the VI (depends upon the consulate).

There are few ways to get the blocked account opened.

First – The usual process
1. Schedule an appointment with the German consulate according to the place you belong to.
2. Download the form to open the account from Deutsche bank. Use this link to download the form.
3. Get it attested and send it along with the passport copy and/or admit letter copy to the following address.
Deutsche Bank
Privat- und Geschäftskunden AG
Frankfurter Straße 1
04024 Leipzig
Germany

4. A reply from the bank can be expected within a week or two normally but it might even take longer depending upon the number of applications.

NOTE: Blocked account can also be opened at Sparkasse Aachen and BW Bank. The procedure is same, except that the link and mailing address will be different. Also a blocked account can be opened without the admit letter.

Second – Via local banks – This will be a bit helpful when running late for Visa application and/or when the number of applications are way too high like what happens at Chennai consulate every year.

NOTE: Don't go with this option when you have sufficient amounts of time. It will be a waste of money which can be used well for other purposes.

1. Go to the nearest Deutsche bank or approach any other bank that can offer a blocked account in Germany like Postbank, Commerzbank and etc.,.
2. AFAIK, Deutsche bank asks to open a savings bank locally and might add up an insurance policy(It's just cross-selling).
3. Get it done and account can be expected to be created within a week or 10 days at the max(excluding weekends).

Once the blocked account is created, the next step is scheduling the visa interview.

The required documents for the visa application are as follows.
Quote:· valid Passport
· 3 Passport Pictures according to biometric specifications.
· Demand Draft for Visa Fee in favor of Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Chennai - Change the location after the comma(,) according to your consulate location.
In addition, have two copies of the following
· Application Form (Please ensure that you sign both the forms and indicate your complete future address incl. pin code in question 15. Besides, please add your complete Indian address incl. pin code and Tel./Fax/e-mail under your signature.)
· Declaration on True and Complete Information, signed and dated.
· your Cover Letter explaining the reason for your visa application. Please also submit a German translation of
this documentation (Original) - Chennai consulate does not asks for German Translation. - Edgoogle or Google for cover letter germany student visa and you can find a lot of samples.
· Letter of Admission from a German University (A4 sized copy), signed with seal of the university
· University Certificates (Degree Certificates and Mark Sheets, Original and A4 sized copy)
· Proof of knowledge of the English language (TOEFL/IELTS) Original and A4 sized copy). This document is
mandatory for the visa process, even if it is not required by the German university. - Valid TOEFL score is enough. No need to worry even if the score is more than a year old.
· Proof of Financial Means, one of the following documents (Original and A4 sized copy): - Better go with the Blocked account if not in scholarship. Almost every student to Germany does it
 Confirmation of Scholarship
 formal sponsorship letter from sponsor living in Germany (“Verpflichtungserklärung”)
 Confirmation of a German blocked account (“Sperrkonto”) with an amount of 8040 euro/- transferred before the visa interview.
· A4 sized copy of your passport
If applicable:
· Proof of previously acquired German knowledge (mandatory, if class in Germany is taught – even partly - in
German)

I have hyperlinked the required documents. You can visit the German consulate site for any more clarifications specific to your consulate.

I have explained about filling the application as the last part of this post. Refer it for any reference.

NOTE:
1. No need to submit any original apart from your passport. Just have everything in hand.
2. No need of any affidavit, proof of funds and loan details. Only the money transferred proof is enough.
3. Apart from the documents listed here, other documents will not be needed, but you can take anything to prove your stance.
4. Depending upon the consulate that you visit, you have to submit your application - via VFS/Directly at the consulate.

Via VFS
1. Reach the VFS pretty early in the morning(around 7.45am) so that you could get your work done sooner or you might get crowded with travel agents.
2. Submit the copies at the VFS. A fee around 650 rupees has to be paid directly at the VFS apart from the visa fee(DD).
4. A receipt mentioning the interview date and time will be given.
5. Passport can either be collected at the VFS after the VI or it can be couriered. A fee of 255 rupees is charged to courier it.

NOTE: The VI date can rescheduled/canceled. In case of VFS, they will ask to visit daily at 8 in the morning. Its your choice to visit it, but it will be helpful when you are running late and if you want to prepone your VI date. There is no charge for rescheduling and the VFS will not answer about available slots over phone.

In my case, I got the interview scheduled on 27th August at first, later I got it preponed to 17th July and even got the stamping done before 27th August.

The Interview
You will be advised to reach the consulate 10 or 20 minutes before the interview. I reached mine before an hour Smile and I attended the interview sooner than my scheduled time. It Depends on the consulate and the day.

Since applied via the VFS, the documents would have reached directly.

Considering the attire, anything would do. I went in formals as I had to go to office directly from there. Mostly students who were there along with me were in formals, almost at least.

Wait for your chance. Once called, submit the receipt that was given at the VFS. The VO will then take a minute to fetch your file containing all the documents that was submitted at the VFS. Then the VO will start asking some general questions like the following.

What did you do in your UG, Why this university, Why Germany, Why not another university, Brief about the course, brief about your UG program and similar simple ones.
One question for sure would be What is your plan post graduation. Make sure you answer it with the best you can.

Once you are done with the questions, the VO will take the biometric finger print scans and that it! the interview is over!!

The VO will then place a small stamp in one of the pages in the passport.

Be cool, its not going to be like the US VI.

Visa Stamping
Once the visa interview is over, you will get a call from the consulate regarding the visa status. It will take some 30 odd days to get the call. It took 27 days in my case.

Take the passport to the VFS/consulate to get the visa stamping done. It takes some 3 days to get it stamped if submitted via VFS.

The following documents are to be submitted for stamping.
1. The transferred amount to the blocked account.
2. Blocked travel itinerary. This can be obtained from any of the airlines. Before getting this, make sure to inquire about student concessions. Some airlines offers good concessions.
3. Travel insurance. A cover up to 90 days was asked by the consulate. This can be applied online via the Bajaj Allianz site.
4. Copy of the passport
5. Passport

Quote:Filling the Application Form
1. Your surname/father's name as in the passport.
2. Your name
3. DOB in DD-MM-YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY format
4. Place of birth as in passport
5a. INDIAN
5b. If you have any former nationality, fill it accordingly
6. Fill it according to your marital status
7. Leave it blank if your marital status is single.
If married,
Spouse name - Surname/father's name of spouse in his/her passport.
Maiden name - Empty if none
Given name - Spouse's name
Date of birth - DOB in DD-MM-YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY format
Place of birth - As in spouse's passport
Nationality - INDIAN
Residence - INDIA
8. Leave it blank if your marital status is single. If you have any, fill it accordingly. Its similar to question 7.
9. Father's surname as in his passport and father's name as in his passport
10. Mother's surname as in her passport and mother's name as in her passport
11. PASSPORT ISSUED BY REPUBLIC OF INDIA
Passport number
Valid until - as in passport
issued by - REPUBLIC OF INDIA
issued on - as in passport(I think its issued from date in passport)
12. Leave it blank
13. Leave it blank
14. Fill it accordingly
15. If you have a place booked for your stay during your study, put that address, if not put the university's complete address.
16. Leave it blank
17. YES and INDIA
18. NO
19. Leave it blank
20. STUDY - HIGHER EDUCATION
STUDY
Arbeitgeber - Leave it blank
Educational Establishment - Your university name
Their address - Complete address of the university as given in admit letter
Intended employment - STUDENT
21. Write your UG program name including B.Tech/BE/BSc/others. Do not abbreviate it. Write it fully
22. Yes or no according to you
23. According to the course. From MMM/YYYY to MMM/YYYY is enough. No need of Date
24. SELF/SCHOLARSHIP/OTHERS - state your means
25. NO and leave the following questions blank
26. NO
27a. NO
27b. Write if you have any international health covers. Else write WILL APPLY FOR HEALTH COVER ONCE I GET TO GERMANY.
Next page
Apply residence permit for 2 years
Glue your photo in the given place. Write your complete address and sign it.
Apart from these write your complete Indian address, telephone number and email under your signature. It is advised in the visa requirement sheet itself

Let me know if I had missed anything. There are other threads specific to the consulate(s). Do refer them for clarifications.

My Infobank
---------------
Germany - Student Visa guide || I am not able to frequent Edulix these days. Tag the other evaluators from this thread for quicker responses. If its an urgent query, I will reply.
Saarland CS || TU Dresden - MCL || EMCL
Tag me in threads for German/EU - CS programs
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 12:11 PM by SridharAshokk.)
07-16-2013 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sds0892 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sds0892 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MS in Germany Fall 14 visa doubt
I am a student of Mumbai University (BE Mech).I have just completed my 8th sem exams and will get d results in the month of July (end). The question I have is can I sit for the visa interview without d 8th sem marksheet and giv it later to them once I get it. I have asked some people and have got contradicting replies. So it would be grateful if someone can give me a suggestion on this.
Thanks.
06-07-2014 12:02 PM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

Re: A complete German Visa application guide with some serious points!!
sds0892

Stop multiposting. This will lead to banning from the forum.

nimbus has asked you to go thru the visa threads and post only in the suitable thread, not in all threads you see about German visa. Each thread has its significance.

I would suggest you to Post ur query in the Mumbai consulate thread n wait for seniors to reply.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new-Albert Einstein

All you need to know about studying Masters in Germany | German University specific threads with List of Seniors

Infobank Tutorial

Please avoid PMs. Tag me for replies
06-07-2014 12:29 PM
ram1117 Offline
Edulix Active Member

ram1117 Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: A complete German Visa application guide with some serious points!!
SridharAshokk,scofield1144 I have gone through several visa threads, but couldn't figure out answer for my question. In the application form, should i enter my responses in the grey text boxes??

06-12-2014 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ram1117 Offline
Edulix Active Member

ram1117 Offline
Edulix Active Member

SridharAshokk, scofield1144.. sorry for the tag for that stupid question, figured out myself.

06-12-2014 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

SridharAshokk Is there even the slightest possibility that I might be able to get my blocked account documents attested at the Chennai Consulate without an appointment? Did you try that way? I got really late appointments for the attestation, seems I have to take the more expensive road.

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
06-26-2014 03:55 PM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

antidive

I think only at Chennai consulate they ask for appointments even for attestation.

In one of the last years threads, I saw chennai people getting attestation in Bangalore consulate. But not sure, search it.

All you need to know about studying Masters in Germany | German University specific threads with List of Seniors

Infobank Tutorial

06-26-2014 04:11 PM
shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Even in Bangalore we need appointment for any kind of Attestation. In fact it is very hard to get appointment now, as it is the peak season for students to get there Blocked accounts done.

Another point to be noted is that they will ask for some kind of proof that you stay in Bangalore in order to let you inside. They dint allow for one of my friend as his passport was not from Karnataka and he did not have any proof that he live in Bangalore.

INFOBANK || My VI || INFOBANK Tutorial
Fall 2014: RWTH MI | Ploimi CS |TU Munich- Informatics(Dest) |FH Frankfurt-HIS | TUD DSS | RWTH SSE

Inactive on edulix. Please tag other seniors.
07-03-2014 12:11 PM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

shivguru.rao

Can you create a thread which would guide people wanna get attestation from Bangalore consulate?

Like the threads created by nimbus & me for Mumbai & Delhi consulates.

Infobank Tutorial

07-03-2014 03:08 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

scofield1144 I guess I wouldn't allowed anywhere near the Consulate without prior appointment. So DB it is!

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
07-04-2014 12:27 AM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

SridharAshokk,nimbus_2000
Quote:The following documents are to be submitted for stamping.
1. The transferred amount to the blocked account.
2. Blocked travel itinerary. This can be obtained from any of the airlines. Before getting this, make sure to inquire about student concessions. Some airlines offers good concessions.
3. Travel insurance. A cover up to 90 days was asked by the consulate. This can be applied online via the Bajaj Allianz site.
4. Copy of the passport.

My friend (who did his VI from New Delhi) told me that we should submit the original passport to VFS along with the documents you mentioned? d'oh!

Does the chennai consulate ask only the copy of the passport?...Shocked

Can you please clarify?

Infobank Tutorial

07-08-2014 07:54 AM
cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 2
scofield1144
where will they stamp other than original passport? This must be the list of documents other than passport. Smile

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
VI Experience | Computer Science Course Page Link | Infobank Tutorial
Please tag in posts for answers.
07-08-2014 09:43 AM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

cneha1991

Got it. Since the consulates have different procedures right from Blocked acc. attestation to VI. I just wanted to claify. Since my friend will be submitting the passport to VFS for stamping, I dont wanted him to be scrambling around during that time.

P.S. I heard from one of my future course mate that Bangalore consulate takes original degree certificate during VI

Infobank Tutorial

07-08-2014 10:46 AM
cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 2
scofield1144
Yes Bangalore consulate is keeping original degree certificate.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
VI Experience | Computer Science Course Page Link | Infobank Tutorial
Please tag in posts for answers.
07-08-2014 11:54 AM
Sriram Partha Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Sriram Partha Offline
Edulix Frequent User

SridharAshokk, nimbus_2000, scofield1144, cneha1991

Hi All,

I am in the middle of filling the visa application form. My VI is at 'Chennai' consulate on '17-July'.
I have gone through this thread and other related posts, which had really helped me in filling up the form.
Still I have few queries related to the same.

Whether I need to fill anything for the following question:
12. 'Authorization to return to (if entered in passport)'?
From this thread that the question the answer for this question can be left blank.
But in some other post I read that the value for this question to be filled as,
'Write the place from where your passport is issued.'

20. Contact Person in Germany:
I assume, I need to fill the contact details of the student advisor with respect to the international students in the University's International office. Is my assumption correct?
Whether I also need to mention the e-mail address of the contact person in the application form, as the related field was not available/asked in the application form.

23. Intended duration of stay in Germany:
Whether I need to mentioned the specific starting dates in 'from' and 'to' fields? Or mentioning 'SEP/2014 to OCT/2016' is sufficient?
Because I got the information from few of the other threads, that VO are specifically asking to fill the tentative starting date for the 'from' field.
To add, I am planning to travel to Germany in the last week (24th or 25th) of September.

24. What are your means of subsistence?
I opened DB blocked account and transferred the money (8080 Euros) for the first year from personal funds.

For the second year expenses,
I actually applied for the bank loan. But most probably I am going to get the sanction letter from the bank only after my VI date. So planning the show the saving's bank account statements and affidavit of my mother, if VO asked me to show the proofs about the financial statements of the second year.

Coming back to the question, what values I need to select for this question,
Obviously I have to select 'salary of spouse/parents' considering the financial documents I have to show for the second year, if VO asked for it.
Whether I also need to select 'others' and have mention the blocked account information (which I have to show the proof anyway) such as account no etc. in the respective field?

PS:
I know that in Chennai consulate, they are not asking to show financial statements for the second year. I am going to take affidavits etc. as a backup to VI just in case, if question arises about the financial proofs for the second year.

Infobank

German University Application Status for 'Winter Semester' 2014/15:
Destination University :University of Paderborn.
07-12-2014 10:00 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread