Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
Unisearch: Link
A Complete Guide To German Visa Application at Mumbai Consulate
PROCEDURE FOR BOOKING APPOINTMENTS AND STAMPING HAVE CHANGED FROM 2014. PLEASE REFER TO OTHER RECENT THREADS.

The information here is specifically for the Mumbai consulate but will not be very different for other consulates.

So you have finally got the admit to your dream university in Germany! First of all congratulations mate! Applause Applause Applause

But now you are having a panic attack. You don't know anything about the process of obtaining the student visa. Calm down mate! Take a deep breath. This guide will help you in obtaining your visa from booking the appointment to getting the visa stamped in your passport.

First you require a blocked account in Germany. Read this guide for complete information on blocked account creation.

Booking your Visa Appointment:

Now this date can be quite critical. You got to make sure that you receive all your documents before this date. What documents you ask? You need your blocked amount confirmation. You need your original admission letter and also your provisional degree certificate or something equivalent. Depending on these factors you can book your Visa appointment. Fortunately, for us guys we do not have to approach the VFS. For embassies in Delhi and Chennai, you will have to approach the nearest VFS for an appointment. You will have to submit your documents at the VFS before your Visa Interview. For Mumbai Consulate, you can directly book your appointment on the Mumbai embassy website with this link. (Also can be found on their website). There will be a similar link for the Bangalore and Kolkata embassies.
Do note that the appointments start becoming scarce from July mid onwards as many universities start giving out their admits during this period. Generally they open the slots 20 days before. So if this is the case, I would suggest you to wake up at 3:30AM (Or when it strikes 00:00 in Germany depending on the daylight savings) in the morning and book your appointment.
Book your appointment for Long Term Visa and not Schengen Visa (see update below). You need to give your email ID, name, mobile number and passport number. After booking the appointment you will get an email confirmation from them. You need to take a print out of this email when you go for your appointment.

UPDATE: Applicants can book an appointment for National Visa (Long Term) through our Helpline number: 022-67866013 or by writing us an e-mail at info.germanin@vfshelpline.com.

Pre-Interview Preparations:

You need to make two sets of the following documents in this order:
1. Application Form (Available on the website)
2. Declaration of Authenticity (Available on the website)
3. Cover Letter
4. Admission Letter
5. Agreement contract between you and univ (if applicable)
6. Proof of Financial Means (Deutsche Bank Letters)
7. University Degree
8. TOEFL/IELTS Certificate
9. German Certificate
10. Travel Insurance
11. Passport Copy

You also need to make a DD of Rs. 4800(Check latest amount on website) addressed to “Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Mumbai” payable at Mumbai.

You also need another set of documents in the following order:
1. Original DD (Write your name, passport number, mobile number and email-address at the back of the DD)
2. Two copies of filled DD form (Available on website)
3. Copy of DD

Also keep two copies of address proof if the address on your passport is outside the jurisdiction of the Mumbai Consulate. Some sort of address proof like Driving License, Aadhaar Card, Ration Card or Voter ID Card should suffice.

Filling the application form:
-Whichever fields are not relevant to you, you can fill a "N/A" next to it.
-In Row no 10(Vater Mutter Namen) , you can fill the names of your parents in two separate rows in the same field and write Father and Mother next to them.
-In Row no 15(Proposed Place of Residence), you can fill in your university address or the address of the Studenten Wohnheim near your university. Just make sure that you give the postal code with the address.
-In Row 20(Purpose of Stay), you can write "Study".
-In Row 21(Erlernter Beruf), you can write "Bachelors in XXX Engineering"
-In row 24(Means of Sunsistence), you can write "Blocked Account"
- Write the Ort and Datum at the end of the application as Mumbai and the date on which your Interview is being conducted respectively.
-All other fields are self-explanatory.

Filling Declaration of Authenticity:
This is one of the easiest forms to fill. You really can't screw up in filling this form. Write the Ort and Datum at the end of the form as Mumbai and the date on which your Interview is being conducted respectively

Writing a Cover Letter:
Cover Letter as the name suggest is basically a letter addressed to the consulate telling them that you are applying for Visa and details of your admit plus what documents you are submitting to support your application. I am attaching below a sample cover letter. Do not directly copy/paste this letter. Write your own.

To,
The German Consulate,
Mumbai.

Date: -----------

Subject: Application For German National Visa For Post-Graduate Study.

Respected Sir/Madam,

I would like to submit my application for long term National Visa along with this letter as I have been admitted at -------- in the graduate program for the Masters of Science -----------. The program is taught in English (as well as German) and spans for XX years .The session for which I have the admit starts from XXXX, 20XX. As mentioned in the checklist, I am attaching following documents in support of my application:

1. Application form.
2. Declaration.
3. Covering Letter.
4. Admission Letter.
5. Proof of financial means.
6. University Degree.
7. Proof of language proficiency.
8. Travel Insurance.
9. Copy of passport.

I would like to request you to consider my application and grant me the visa for which I shall be highly grateful.

Yours Sincerely,
---------------

Travel Insurance:
You have to buy "Travel Insurance" and not "Health Insurance". It is better to buy the Health Insurance after reaching Germany (Costs around 80 Euros per month) as you will have a tough time explaining the validity of your Indian Health Insurance to the university authorities. In Germany, it is compulsory that each student is enrolled in a health insurance plan before enrollment.
You can buy the Travel Insurance online. the validity of the insurance should be atleast from the date of your travel to the date you get enrolled at the university. Generally a one month insurance plan should suffice (And minimum duration for plans is one month too). If you are buying the insurance from Bajaj Allianz, then ask for 10% Student Discount from their Customer Care.

Affidavit of Support:
This document will most probably not be required. Neither me or any of my friends were asked for it. I have heard that the consulate requires this only for those courses where this is a significant amount of tuition fees. But I kept this document just to be on the safe side. It is basically an affidavit stating that your sponsor is going to support you during your stay in Germany and also that he has sufficient financial resources. If you are taking this document along with you, do not forget to take other financial documents of your sponsor like FDs, Passbook Copies, Salary Slips, etc.

Here is a format of the affidavit:

I, Mr. XXXXXX, aged XX years, son of Mr.XXXXX residing at XXXXXXX , India do hereby solemnly and sincerely affirm and state on oath as follows :-

1) That I am the Father of Mr. XXXXXX, who is the citizen of India and holder of valid passport no: XXXXXX.
2) That my son, XXXXXXX, has secured admission in XXXXXXXX, Germany.
3) That I am supporting my son’s education and living expenses during his period of study at XXXXXXX(University), Germany.
4) That I have adequate financial resources to sponsor my son’s education viz. tuition fees, boarding expenses, travelling expenses and living expenses during his study at XXXXXXX(University), Germany.

Signature of Sponsor

Notary Part:
That the above facts are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief and nothing has been concealed therein.

Signature of Notary

Arranging your documents:
You got to take all the original documents with you to the consulate and produce them when asked for. No you don't want to struggle through a heap of A4 papers in finding the document asked for. I would recommend you in using some sort of folder like this where you can keep you documents(And label it too!). I would suggest that you keep an extra copy of all the originals in case they ask for it. You don't want to run around for photocopies on the day of your interview! Wink

D-Day - Visa Interview

So the D-Day has finally arrived! You appointment will most probably be after 12. And you might be there till at least till 2PM. I would suggest that you have your brunch before landing at the embassy. In my case, I had to rush to the Subway at CR2 mall to pacify my hunger. Very Happy
Reach the embassy by 11:30. The security will allow you to enter the gate sometime between 11:30 and 12:00. They will first ask you whether you have the blocked amount ready and ask you for the print out of your appointment confirmation. Once you are inside, you are given an A4 sized printout with details of all the documents along with their order. It is important that you arrange the documents in this order. Both the sets. I have already given the list and the order above.
Once you have done this you can submit the sets at the counter near the gate. The person will check all the documents, make sure that they are in order and will give you a token number. Once you get the token number, you are sked to go to the waiting room inside where you have to wait till your number is called out.
The electronic voice will call out your token number and direct you to the respective counter. Stand up straight and go to your counter. Wish the Visa Officer and have a smile on your face. The person will ask you to give all the sets and start verifying it. If you have submitted a German language certificate, you may be asked to give a small introduction in German depending on your level. For applicants in higher levels, the entire interview may be in German. Wink The VO will ask you some basic questions, like which university, which course, why this university, what is the tuition fees , when is the enrollment period and so on.
You may be asked for all the original documents and then will be asked to fill a questionnaire with the following questions:
1. Why did you select Germany? From where did you get the information? If from a website, then mention them.
2. Why did you select this university for your Masters? Where else did you apply in Germany?
3. Name some important researchers in your field.
4. What percentages did you obtain in your secondary, higher secondary and Bachelors. What was the medium of instruction in each of them?
5. Explain what you did after your 12th (if gap of more than 6 months). And also after your bachelors and mention the duration.
Sometimes the applicants are also asked to write a statement of purpose explaining what was their motivation in pursuing their Masters in Germany and what are your future plans.
Also, do remember to keep at least two copies of your experience letter if you have mentioned about your work-experience. Once you have filled these questionnaires, you can head back to the counter and submit them. At the end of this process, the VO will give back your passport along with a "D" (Long Term Visa) along with the date stamped at the back of your passport. The VO will tell you that it will take at least 6-12 weeks to process your visa and you will get a call when it is ready.

That is it! You are done with your VI. Congratulations! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Now you can party the entire night. Wink

Application to Stamping - What happens here?

So once you are done with your interview, your documents are sent to Germany to the local Alien Office/City Registration Office/Rathaus of the city in which your university is located. Your university will have to confirm that you have received an admission in their course and to please approve the visa for the applicant. And then the approval is sent to the embassy where you will get your visa stamped. Hence, sometimes it is possible to speed up the visa process by dropping a mail to the university and asking them to look into it. Doesn't work always though.
For the Mumbai Embassy, the normal duration between the application and the approval is around 25 days.

Visa Stamping:

Once you have received a call/email confirming your Visa, you can go to the embassy from Monday to Friday between 8AM and 11AM to submit your passport for stamping. Do take along the print-out of the email if you have received any. You can collect your passport back with the Visa stamped on the same day at 3PM. You need to only submit your passport for the same. No other docs are required (Unless you have not submitted some doc e.g. Travel Insurance during the application). You also need to give a tentative date of travel when you submit your passport. Your Visa will be valid from this date. It is always safer to give a date 2-3 days before your flight just to be safe.

I wish you all the best for this journey!

I will not be liable to any loss occurring due to this post. This was the process to the best of my knowledge for Winter Semester 2013. I will try to keep this post updated. Please keep checking the embassy website for the latest information.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 03:26 PM by nimbus_2000.)
07-25-2013 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
RE: A Complete Guide To Visa Application at Mumbai Consulate
Hi,
Great post..
this would really be useful..
this is what actually happened with me at the vo.

However I have a question. They say, at mumbai embassy it will take around 6-8 weeks for processing visa, but I've heard that at different location it takes around 3-4 weeks.
So how long does the mumbai embassy takes after the interview..

http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=129317
07-26-2013 03:43 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

uname
Thanks mate! They say 6-12 weeks but usually people get it earlier than that. Also it depends a lot on the university. The documents are sent to the city where your university is located. Then the international office should confirm that you have received an admit to the university at the local Rathaus. After that you visa get approved. So it all depends on your luck too.

07-26-2013 04:21 PM
uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(07-26-2013 04:21 PM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  @[uname]
Thanks mate! They say 6-12 weeks but usually people get it earlier than that. Also it depends a lot on the university. The documents are sent to the city where your university is located. Then the international office should confirm that you have received an admit to the university at the local Rathaus. After that you visa get approved. So it all depends on your luck too.

Thanks nimbus_2000
My University is TU Darmstadt.
Any idea how long does it take..
My VI was on 23rd July and I've booked a flight for 31st Aug..
It is almost 6 weeks after vi.
I'm so tensed.
Will I make it in time???

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 08:04 PM by uname.)
07-31-2013 08:02 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

uname

I am in a similar condition. I had my VI on 22nd July and flying on 10th Sept.
I think you should make it easily. Worst-case scenario, you can call up the international office at the university and ask them to look into it. Generally I have seen people getting Visa at Mumbai after 25 days.

07-31-2013 08:05 PM
uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(07-31-2013 08:05 PM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  @[uname]

I am in a similar condition. I had my VI on 22nd July and flying on 10th Sept.
I think you should make it easily. Worst-case scenario, you can call up the international office at the university and ask them to look into it. Generally I have seen people getting Visa at Mumbai after 25 days.

Thanks a lot nimbus_2000

07-31-2013 08:10 PM
uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

RE: A Complete Guide To German Visa Application at Mumbai Consulate
Has anyone got the visa stamped at Mumbai embassy?
How long does it take from the date of interview??
Tired of waiting... Sad

08-15-2013 11:16 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

25 days it took for me guys.
Generally it takes 25 days to get the call for stamping.

08-16-2013 06:38 PM
uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

hi,
Are there any chances that they may refuse to stamp the visa even after successful interview??
Just curious..

08-16-2013 09:22 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

Very very very very less....
If your documents especially the financials are in order and you have given sensible answers in your VI, then there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't grant you a visa. Earlier posts on Edulix for previous years state that the rejection rate for German visa is only 8%.

08-16-2013 11:16 PM
uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

uname Offline
Edulix Frequent User

any idea how long does the stamping process takes??

08-20-2013 07:01 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

For Mumbai Consulate:
You have to submit your passport for stamping between 8AM and 11AM and collect it back at 3PM.

08-26-2013 08:16 PM
divasayshi Offline
Edulix Frequent User

divasayshi Offline
Edulix Frequent User

nimbus_2000

Hi Nimbus

I have to apply for Visa for Summer 2014 from Mumbai Consulate , and plan to book the appointment in first week of Jan. But the link
https://service2.diplo.de/rktermin/exter..._locale=en
is allowing me to book dates only upto 20th dec 2013 and the end date is same for past few days.

While for consulate in other cities, they have option to select an appointment upto 15- feb 2014

is this process unique to Mumbai consulate.. or should i be worried as i wont be able to get an appointment in jan ?
12-11-2013 12:42 AM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

divasayshi

You cannot book appointments for the Mumbai consulate until some weeks prior to the desired appointment date. I think it is kind of unique for the Mumbai Consulate as you book the appointments directly on the embassy website unlike other consulates where you book it through VFS. I think the appointments are only available till 20th as the embassy might not be working during Christmas. Keep checking the embassy website. I am sure you would get an appointment in January.

12-11-2013 01:05 AM
Raghavender.N Offline
New Edulixian

Raghavender.N Offline
New Edulixian

Hi ,
My name is Raghavender.N.I have received my invitation from Karlsruhe University of applied sciences for Master in Sensor Systems technology and I am going in February.I have made my blocked account ready.Now the query is ,for mumbai,there is a link to fix the appointment directly with embassy online in the german consular website.There when I select long term visa and go to the dates for the appointment,it shows the date from the present date to the 1st january 2014 and not beyond that.So I cannot fix the appointment beyond 1st jan.I tried on 23rd Dec and it showed till 1st Jan and Even on 24 Dec and again it show the date till 1st Jan which are already booked,so when will I will able to book the appointment for 2nd Jan online in the mumbai german Embassy is my query?? Please guide me.

I read the previous thread,but still any other solution if possible ,please guide me.
12-24-2013 07:31 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread