Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
Unisearch: Link
German University Applications for Noobs
I had written this small document for a friend recently to give an overview of the application process for Germany. This is aimed for applicants who have no idea about the application procedure. Since I applied to only Mechanical Engineering related Masters courses, sorry if this post tends to talk more about a specific field.

1. Examinations Required:

a. GRE:
Graduate Record Examination is a requirement for some universities like FH Aachen and RWTH Aachen. It is always recommended that applicants give this examination so as not to miss out on applying to good courses here. It is important to score very well in the Quant part of GRE examination.

b.TOEFL/IELTS:
Any one of these tests is a requirement for all universities in Germany. Sometime, the universities state in their requirement that if your Bachelor’s Degree was in English, then TOEFL/IELTS is not required. But I would strongly recommend giving one of these two tests as TOEFL/IELTS score report is mandatory for the German student Visa application. Having >90 and >6.0 in TOEFL and IELTS respectively are the basic cut-offs for most universities.

c. GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering):
This is a mandatory requirement for some courses like the Automotive Engineering course at RWTH Aachen and Computational Mechanics course at TU Munich. German universities are trying to emulate their US counterparts by comparing all the pool of applicants with a standard aptitude test. I think in the years to come, more and more universities will try to adopt this practice. Hence, it is strongly recommended that you give the GATE examination. Having ranks <500 are considered to be very good scores for German universities.

2. Documents required for Applications:

a. SOP (Statement of Purpose):
One of the most important documents in your application packet will be the Statement of Purpose. Some universities will have their own formats for SOPS but it should generally cover the following questions:
a. What are your motivations/reasons to study in Germany? 

b. What are your motivations/reasons to study at University XYZ? 

c. Which are your expectations from the study at University XYZ? 

d. What advantages do you expected from the study at University XYZ?
e. Why should you be selected for this course?
There are many good resources available on the internet that gives very good tips for SOP writing. One such example is this link:
http://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/state_purpose.shtml
http://nlp.stanford.edu/~rkarthik/DAGAP.pdf
There are some really awesome threads here on Edulix. Just search for them.

b. Transcripts:
The transcripts can be obtained from the university and contains attested copies of your mark sheets, degree certificate and some other documents. It is usually provided by most universities in sealed envelopes with the stamp of the college. It is important that you apply for these transcripts well before the application phase starts.

c. LOR (Letter of Recommendation):
These can be obtained from professors with whom you have good relations with or under whom you have done some projects. These play a major role in evaluation of applications. Hence, it is essential that you get a strong recommendation from your professor. It can also help a lot of the professor is known in his field of research. You can get these letters in sealed envelopes. Unlike their US counterparts, German universities usually require hard copies of LORs. Make sure to obtain sufficient copies.

d. Language Certificates:
Some universities require that the applicant be proficient till some level in German. It also helps in giving an edge to an applicant if he/she has very good level of German. Sometime it can also be a compulsory requirement for application. Some universities like FH Aachen require that the applicant has B1 level of German during application (For Energy Systems course) or that they provide these certificates at the time of enrolment (For their automotive course). Plus it also helps a lot with respect to communicating with the locals during your Masters or finding some research assistantships or student jobs. Also, you would also be able to take up some courses that interest you but are offered in German in your Masters.

e. Curriculum vitae:
This is again a very important document in your application packet. Usually a limit of 2 pages should be adhered too. Your CV shouldn’t be too long and neither too short. You can mention all your projects, any papers you might have published or conferences you have presented papers in. It is also advantageous if you can make a CV in the format of the country you are applying to. Some examples of country-specific CVs can be found on this link:
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/doc...e/examples

f. Work Experience Certificate:
Some universities require that applicants have at least one year of work experience while some like FH Kaiserslautern require that an applicant has at least three years of work experience. More and more universities have started asking for work experience from applicants. You can usually get a work experience from the HR department of your company. Internships usually do not count as work experience.

g. Additional Documents:
Sometimes the universities may request some additional documents from applicants. Examples are Transcript Evaluation Form for HS Esslingen or a Rank certificate for the MMT course at TU Dortmund.

3. University Search:
There are a lot of resources available on the internet which can help you search for your dream university. Some of them are:
a. https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studiena...ograms/en/
b. http://www.mastersportal.eu/
c. https://www.study-in.de/en/
d. http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus...ses_en.php
There are a lot of Facebook groups too which have a lot of good resources. Some of them are:
a. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ms.in.germany.students/
b. https://www.facebook.com/groups/educationingermany/
c. https://www.facebook.com/groups/adminstudygermany/
If you have no clue regarding any of this, then it will be a good idea to get counselled from the local DAAD centre. The counsellors there are really friendly and they will be able to help you in all regards.
After short listing your courses, it is a good practice to make a list of all the documents required and pre- requisites and making a note of their deadlines. You can start collecting the documents for the same after making a list. Edulix has a lot of good threads which can help you choosing your university.

4. Application Deadlines:
Generally the application deadlines for enrolling in the Winter Semester range from March till July. Application deadlines can be as early as March 1 (For universities like RWTH Aachen) to as late as July 15 (For universities like TH Ingolstadt). It is recommended to apply as soon as the application period starts. Some universities like Duisburg-Essen have rolling admissions. This means that the admits are sent out even before the admission deadlines. Hence, it is essential to check whether the university you are applying to follows rolling admissions or not. Some universities like TUHH even have two rounds of applications. Bottom line, don’t wait till the end to send your application.

5. Processes after receiving the admission letter:
You need to open a blocked account and apply for the student visa. These two processes are covered below:
Blocked Account
Visa Application

Another good link for applicants who do not yet know about the application process in Germany:
http://www.daaddelhi.org/en/15067/index.html

All the best for your applications!

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 12:09 AM by nimbus_2000.)
12-08-2013 01:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
RE: German University Applications for Noobs
nimbus_2000 Great initiative Applause Applause, I donno where you get the time to do all this kind of stuff. Confused

BTW, I think people should avoid Facebook groups, full of redundant $hit! Edulix is the best place.

DAAD Website. Period.
12-09-2013 02:55 AM
dinesh1389 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

dinesh1389 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I have been trying to apply for some univs and this post is very useful for me. Thanks nimbus Smile
03-05-2014 03:30 PM
SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

dinesh1389

Thank by staying back and helping out future appers' instead of a post saying thanks. Smile

Threads like these are so much informative and post only if really necessary in such threads.

Fill your infobank completely. Add about work exp, research exp, projects, papers, interns and anything that adds value to your profile in the misc. details section in the infobank. Add the universities that you have applied as well.

My Infobank
---------------
Germany - Student Visa guide || I am not able to frequent Edulix these days. Tag the other evaluators from this thread for quicker responses. If its an urgent query, I will reply.
Saarland CS || TU Dresden - MCL || EMCL
Tag me in threads for German/EU - CS programs
03-06-2014 12:36 PM
sstinson Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sstinson Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 2
Lübeck University of Applied Sciences says that a bachelors degree from only IITs would be considered for Indian applicants wanting to pursue MSc in mechanical engineering.
06-26-2015 03:18 PM
pooja sharma Offline
New Edulixian

pooja sharma Offline
New Edulixian

i am done my engineering with cse stream and then next i am done my master degree in germany .so in that case toefl exam are required.?
09-08-2015 07:41 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread