German Language - preparation strategies & exam experiences
dark_passenger Offline
Edulix Active Member

dark_passenger Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: German Language - preparation strategies & exam experiences
Thanks for all your replies. Goethe institute is not easily accessible for me( 4-5 hours from the place I stay) I think i should look for other options nearby. Thanks for the help Smile Cheers. Do you know of any sites where I can interact with germans ?(no dating sites please:lolSmile

Infobank
Spring 2015 Applicant For MS CS
UFL | ASU | IIT-C | UTA | UTD | WayneSU | ColSU
TU-Darmstadt | Uni Hannover

You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? -Rumi
08-18-2014 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

Try looking for a good private institute. Not all private places are good, though. I was lucky to get a great teacher in a private institute in Bangalore.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
08-18-2014 09:22 PM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

dark_passenger

A1 and A2 levels cover most of the grammar part, so it is recommended that you learn it from a teacher. You need to be strong with your fundamentals, since the language has lot of grammar rules which has to be strictly followed.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new-Albert Einstein

All you need to know about studying Masters in Germany | German University specific threads with List of Seniors

Infobank Tutorial

Please avoid PMs. Tag me for replies
08-21-2014 10:02 AM
GearBklsh Offline
New Edulixian

GearBklsh Offline
New Edulixian

dark_passenger
In my opinion, learning German (or any language, for that matter) on your own is a tricky affair. I learnt German up to C1 before coming to Germany, but I was lucky to find a private tutor back then (over 5 years now).

I don't see the harm in trying to learn the language on your own, but like scofield1144 said, it would be better to have a helping hand in the beginning.

But I have to mention here that B1 also covers quite a few grammar rules, with which you know how to use conjunctions, prepositions etc. to express yourself efficiently. But hey, one step at a time. Wink
08-23-2014 07:25 PM
ramkp123 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ramkp123 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I've given Testdaf last september.

It is a much easier option for anyone trying to get into German taught programs (you can possibly pass testdaf C1 with "B1 or B2" Goethe preparation along with testdaf exam prep).

I gave it in Bangalore, Goethe. Along with me couple of guys who were doing their final year of undergrad course in Germany also attended. Apart from them, there were three others who were planning to apply for German taught courses.

The exam as expected quite easier than Goethe C1, No need to 'hold a conversation' or 'speak about a topic' as in the mundliche prufung of Goethe. you simply have to speak into a mic of a laptop, very convenient and relaxed. Rest of the sections were also quite easier when compared to Goethe C1.

I got C1 equivalent levels in three sections but failed the listening part. Although during the preparation time, I found listening to be the easiest part, to get almost all right. One of the experienced guys (guy from Germany) told me later, that listening is completely different when you have to listen on exam hall speakers, when compared to practicing through ear phones. But I thought during the exam that the speakers in Bangalore-Goethe was rather unclear, as I have experience writing A2 and B1 in Chennai-Goethe. As suspected I was not the only one who found it tough, one of those guys also failed the listening portion but passed the rest three with C1 level.

I wondered later that, I could have informed the exam supervisors during or after the exam, regarding this issue. Didn't have the assertiveness.

So anyone interested in doing Masters in German taught programs, I suggest testdaf. All Goethe branches allow you to take the exam. Bangalore was well organized except for the listening section. Pune is not well organized, I gathered, as the table arrangements during the speaking section was too close to each other and it impeded the performance. Don't know about Chennai.
01-19-2016 09:42 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread