EU and phsyics
nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
EU and phsyics
I did my bachelors in Engineering (Electronics), but i am interested in doing masters and phd in Physics. I have undertaken graduation level courses on Electromagnetism, classical physics, thermodynamics, relativity, and quantum physics.

I am from India, and i have an inclination towards cosmology.

I am seeking answers for some questions, please help

1) Does EU accept students for masters in physics, but with bachelors in engineering?

2) I don't want a terminal master program. Does EU offer a terminal master program, or they extend it to Phd, just like most U.S universities do?

3) Can you please give me a link or something where i can search for EU offering non-terminal masters program in physics.

4) Is applying to U.S, for Physics, better than Europe? i mean the research opportunities.
02-05-2014 10:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Imagery@Apu Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Imagery@Apu Offline
Edulix Senior Member

RE: EU and phsyics
This is in general a good point to start: http://www.mastersportal.eu/
For Germany: https://www.daad.de/
For Sweden: universityadmissions.se

Do NOT tag to say "Thanks"!
I might suddenly stop answering. Please don't mind!

First task in Edulix: Follow this to update you infobank

Tag me for CS [only General and Systems] Evals in Canadian, American and Swedish Universities after your own research.
Profile Evaluation Scale
Don't follow the populist paths all the time!!!
02-06-2014 01:27 AM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
The research opportunities in the basic sciences, are very good in Europe. However, this is just my opinion.

Considering your interests I'd suggest you take a look at the MSc Applied Physics program offered at TU Delft and the research offered by the university. Applied Physics at TU Delft has quite a lot of its research focussed on nanosciences as is the trend these days and since you have studied quantum physics already, with a bit of digging into solid state physics (refer to the book by Kittle) it should be fairly easy to grasp the courses they have to offer. Also, keeping in mind your interests in cosmology and the nanoscience focussed research in TU Delft, they have a group called the Cosmonanoscience group which is a section in the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience. If you look up Kavli you will be able to find it in only two other places in the entire world, MIT and CalTech, which should clearly tell you the reputation of not just the institute but the professors associated with the same, worldwide. Given your interests, I believe the Quantum Nanoscience track will be the ideal track for you to pursue in the MSc Applied Physics program at TU Delft. Here is the link to the track http://www.qn.tudelft.nl/en Take a look at it. I believe it should match with your interests and you'll like it.

What you must understand is, there is no concept like terminal MSc or MS+Ph.D in Europe. You graduate with an MSc degree post which if you meet the minimum criteria you can continue as a PhD student in the same university by simply signing a 4 year employment contract with them or else you could search for PhD elsewhere. Now luckily enough TU Delft has a pre PhD program too for Applied Physics students which is called Casimir Pre PhD Special Programme. So that should be an additional help.

In Europe, for a Ph.D the minimum requirement is that you possess an MSc degree, so given what your interests are, the links provided would be some good ways to begin probably.

Hope this helps!!

Good Luck and success!!

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
02-06-2014 02:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

nitinkatyal

Ha! I didn't see this thread earlier before replying you in this thread. Continue here and ignore the other thread.

My Infobank
---------------
Germany - Student Visa guide || I am not able to frequent Edulix these days. Tag the other evaluators from this thread for quicker responses. If its an urgent query, I will reply.
Saarland CS || TU Dresden - MCL || EMCL
Tag me in threads for German/EU - CS programs
02-06-2014 01:50 PM
nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Rogue

EU universities specifies bachelors degree in physics as the basic requirement for the masters program, I have a bachelor's in engineering.
So I don't fulfill the basic requirements.

I am not sure if they can check my knowledge in physics through a test, and can decide my admission on the masters program using my score but not on my engineering background.
02-06-2014 03:04 PM
SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

nitinkatyal

I think we are over-stepping the point. Let know which program did you search for exactly and at which university. I saw your post here as well. Obviously the university will not conduct any specific test, specifically for you to check your knowledge on the subject. If you do not satisfy the minimum requirements, your application will not be considered at all.

Brief your profile completely as well.

My Infobank
---------------
Germany - Student Visa guide || I am not able to frequent Edulix these days. Tag the other evaluators from this thread for quicker responses. If its an urgent query, I will reply.
02-06-2014 03:26 PM
nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 03:42 PM by nitinkatyal.)
02-06-2014 03:41 PM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
In TU Delft this is mostly not the criteria, you should meet the general criteria that TU Delft sets for all of its students from across all faculties.

Also, you can always write to the Recruitment officer of the faculty and ask her, if with so and so background you can apply to the programme. I believe it should not be an issue as you have also taken certain courses in physics in your undergrad.

There is always an alternate possibility where you apply to the EEMCS faculty and later change your program to the Applied Physics program with the Applied Sciences faculty. I have known people who have switched from Applied Sciences to 3ME as well. So, I am giving you an option. It's upto you if you want to choose it or not.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
02-06-2014 04:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

SridharAshokk Offline
Edulix Super Senior

^+1

nitinkatyal

Go ahead with what Rogue has said! Drop a mail to each university that you intend to apply and tell them that you had these courses in your UG and ask them whether will you be eligible to apply to the program with your undergrad degree.
Quote: have undertaken graduation level courses on Electromagnetism, classical physics, thermodynamics, relativity, and quantum physics.

Brief your UG syllabus in the mail and tell the credits of each course even. This will help them to evaluate yours. Make sure that you give the credits for Physics related courses at least even if you don't give for all.

Check this if you want. I was able to find one though I am not from your background. Physics was always Greek and Latin to me from the day I met it and I can't help you any further specific to hunting programs.
Try the links posted by Imagery@Apu in post #2 in this thread. There will be programs which don't need a UG degree from Physics specifically. Try to find them out.

Tag me if you need anything else apart from Physics and the related courses.

ATB!

My Infobank
---------------
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 07:01 PM by SridharAshokk.)
02-06-2014 06:58 PM
nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

nitinkatyal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Rogue

I've seen Delft master course prerequisite already. They are more into applied physics, and my interest falls more towards theoretical physics.

But I will still try, and mail them all. I will mention the courses I have completed, and ask about the chances of getting selected.

Thanks for your help.

SridharAshokk

Thanks man, thanks for your input
02-06-2014 07:15 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
Kaumz, and inputs on this?

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
02-10-2014 11:31 PM
Kaumz Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Kaumz Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 7
NB: I am not enrolled in any EU university. My opinions are formed from what I hear and see around me in Germany. So take my opinions with a pinch of salt.

1) Does EU accept students for masters in physics, but with bachelors in engineering?
Not sure. But I'm pretty certain it is not the same for all universities all over EU. One needs to check the requirements individually.

2) I don't want a terminal master program. Does EU offer a terminal master program, or they extend it to Phd, just like most U.S universities do?
I don't think so. As far as I know, after Masters degree, you have to apply again for PhD. There may be some universities offering an integrated program.

3) Can you please give me a link or something where i can search for EU offering non-terminal masters program in physics.
google.com

4) Is applying to U.S, for Physics, better than Europe? i mean the research opportunities.
In my opinion, its equally good.(or bad)

Infobank: http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=4293

All that is gold does not glitter;
Not all those who wander are lost !

- J.R.R. Tolkein
02-11-2014 01:57 AM
das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

nitinkatyal I have to agree on what Rogue said. But if you like stuff which has a lot of Physics you should definitely check out this program in my place Uni Jena. They have good reputation for Physics and quiet well known. MSc Physics with focus on Photonics at Abbe School of Photonics.

DAAD Website. Period.
02-15-2014 06:06 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread