Stevens Institute of Technology - MSIS/MIS
confused0210 Offline
New Edulixian

confused0210 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: Stevens Institute of Technology - MSIS/MIS
I have admit from SIT for MSIS program and am waiting for admits from other colleges. I have heard the placement scenario at SIT is good but the fees are expensive so am not able to makeup my mind whether to confirm the seat or not. Please help me making my decision.
Also how is MIS program at UMBC and the placement scenarios?
Thanks in advance.
02-25-2015 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JAY SANGHVI Offline
Edulix Super Senior

JAY SANGHVI Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 4
Thank you speedbiker108.

(02-17-2015 10:36 AM)speedbiker108 Wrote:  [Deleted]
[/quote]

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:04 AM by JAY SANGHVI.)
02-27-2015 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
greenhulk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

greenhulk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hey guys,
Does anyone know the i20 amount for Stevens?
Also has anyone been awarded a fellowship from the university ?

03-04-2015 09:17 AM
ankitthescorpion Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ankitthescorpion Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Yeah.. The i20 amount is 53.5k
03-06-2015 11:51 PM
jyotirmoy Offline
New Edulixian

jyotirmoy Offline
New Edulixian

Hi All,
I have got admit for MSIS for Fall2015. They have mentioned an enrollment fee of 500 USD, can it not be given when you arrive there? i mean from the sanctioned loan amt.
Also what are my scope and chances of getting funding, my GRE - 304, TOEFL - 103, 3+yrs work ex in IT, undergrad GPA - 3.1
They have asked for the financial documents, what is the i20 amt that i need to show?

Many thanks in advance
Jyotirmoy

(09-14-2014 09:25 PM)civilizedgauti Wrote:  After a lot of research and talking with current students and alumni, I have accepted my admission for MSIS with Stevens. Hope its the best decision I have taken!

Also, I am looking for people/classmates flying in for this Spring 2015 intake. In case anyone is there, let me know about it, need a company!

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to join you all in January. Smile
03-07-2015 11:21 AM
shikhar01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

shikhar01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi Guys,

Has anyone decided to go for Stevens MIS Fall 2015.
I have a admit with fellowship award of 2500$. I dont have much information regarding Stevens brand name and internships/jobs statistics for MIS. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Also how is the scenarios for GA/TA positions? Location seems to be an advantage but do MIS people land good jobs.

Regards,
Shikhar

03-11-2015 09:32 AM
ankitthescorpion Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ankitthescorpion Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(03-11-2015 09:32 AM)shikhar01 Wrote:  Hi Guys,

Has anyone decided to go for Stevens MIS Fall 2015.
I have a admit with fellowship award of 2500$. I dont have much information regarding Stevens brand name and internships/jobs statistics for MIS. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Also how is the scenarios for GA/TA positions? Location seems to be an advantage but do MIS people land good jobs.

Regards,
Shikhar

Hey Shikhar

I will be joining Stevens. I have paid their acceptance fees of $500. And as far as I have heard, there are a lot of oppurtunities as far as internships and jobs are concerned, especially because of the location. And I dont know this but in my opinion, small calss size should also mean a better chance of getting a job.
03-11-2015 12:55 PM
shikhar01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

shikhar01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Seniors please help. Not much information available on Stevens regarding MIS course, Funding options, Internship and jobs prospects.

Is there a whtsapp grp for Stevens MIS Fall 15 admits?

03-11-2015 02:21 PM
msmisus2015 Offline
New Edulixian

msmisus2015 Offline
New Edulixian

Hello everyone,

I have got admit for MSIS for Fall2015. There was nothing mentioned about funding in the application update. How to verify this ?
I applied for MS BIA program. Can anyone shed light on the difference between these two courses at Stevens

Thanks in advance!
03-16-2015 12:47 PM
saurabh77777 Offline
New Edulixian

saurabh77777 Offline
New Edulixian

Hey i recently got an admit for the MSIS course at stevens and as per my research its a very good university, I am quite certain that i will join stevens but i am waiting for the other universities to reply.

i have some key questions to ask

1) how is stevens ranked for the MSIS course? is it a mediocre university?

2) how is the course structure?

3) how are the job prospects?

4) profile of people graduated from stevens MSIS course? and kind of job they are into.

5) i am from Management background. with 4 years of relevant work exp. and is keen on learning about the applications of IT in management. Does IT involves alot of programming?

Thank you
All the best . cant wait to see the 2015 fall classmates.
03-20-2015 07:25 PM
gouthamfab Offline
New Edulixian

gouthamfab Offline
New Edulixian

Hi Sudhir,

I have been recently admitted in Stevens for MSIS. I have following queries regarding education at stevens:

1) Are the internships useful to get a job after completion of masters?
2) Since it is near NYC, is there a way to reduce cost of living?
3) Since I did 2 years of testing in Mphasis and has an electronic back ground. which course is well suited for me? (i am thinking of data mining)
4) I have heard a lot about security issues in NJ from friends. how safe is the neighborhood?

My profile --> Infobank
http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=273117

Tagging sudhir.muddana
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 01:49 PM by gouthamfab.)
04-10-2015 01:48 PM
trungn2015 Offline
New Edulixian

trungn2015 Offline
New Edulixian

Hi all,

I've just got admission to MSBIA at Stevens for Fall 2015. Does anyone intend to enroll in this program? Anyone got GA or TA?
Does anyone know how long we will get the information about scholarship or assistantship?

Thank you.
04-22-2015 11:20 PM
Michael zur Muehlen Offline
New Edulixian

Michael zur Muehlen Offline
New Edulixian

Hi All,

I am the associate dean at Stevens and the director of the MSIS program. Let me provide some answers to frequently asked questions:

1) What is the duration of the program?

The MSIS (and MS-BI&A) program is a 12 course program. Most full-time students complete it in 3 semesters (Fall-Spring-Fall). You start in late August/early September and you finish in December of the following year.

2) What are the job/internship prospects?

I would say they are very good, due to our location, network of alumni, and a very active placement office. Here are some companies where our students interned this summer: ADP, Alcatel-Lucent, Bank of America, Bank of Tokyo, Barclays Capital, Cablevision, CGI, Disney, Dow Jones, Dun & Bradstreet, Goldman Sachs, Hertz, Jaguar Land Rover, JP Morgan, KPMG, Moody's, Morgan Stanley, Nasdaq, PwC, Siemens, United Nations, Wiley. Just today I just signed paperwork for an international student that got a full-time job offer before his third semester with a six-figure salary.

No matter where you go, key job skills are oral and written presentation, presence and attention in meetings, and the ability to think on your feet. Work on these, in addition to the topical skills that you learn in your degree courses. Your job preparation (and hunt) begins the moment you set foot on campus. Don't wait until the last semester.

3) How do students structure the program and internships?

Typically a student would take 4+4+Internship+3 courses. It is possible to take a course in the summer semester and to do an internship and finish with 2 courses. Financial calculations depend on individual circumstances, for example how many credits are used for the Internship. The flat-rate tuition covers 3 or 4 courses (so you don't save money by taking 3 instead of 4).

4) How many students get GA/RA/TA positions?

We have a large (and growing) number of RA/GA/TA positions within the School of Business, and the university overall hires students to work in offices such as the library, IT, athletics and central administrative positions. We typically make assignment decisions for RA/GA/TA positions at the beginning of each semester when we know the pool of students on campus and the specific needs of open positions. Students are eligible for GA/RA positions from the first semester. To work as a TA the student has to have completed the course they are supporting, so these positions start after the first semester.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards

Michael zur Muehlen
08-06-2015 03:42 AM
roy_ambar Offline
New Edulixian

roy_ambar Offline
New Edulixian

(08-06-2015 03:42 AM)Michael zur Muehlen Wrote:  Hi All,

I am the associate dean at Stevens and the director of the MSIS program. Let me provide some answers to frequently asked questions:

1) What is the duration of the program?

The MSIS (and MS-BI&A) program is a 12 course program. Most full-time students complete it in 3 semesters (Fall-Spring-Fall). You start in late August/early September and you finish in December of the following year.

2) What are the job/internship prospects?

I would say they are very good, due to our location, network of alumni, and a very active placement office. Here are some companies where our students interned this summer: ADP, Alcatel-Lucent, Bank of America, Bank of Tokyo, Barclays Capital, Cablevision, CGI, Disney, Dow Jones, Dun & Bradstreet, Goldman Sachs, Hertz, Jaguar Land Rover, JP Morgan, KPMG, Moody's, Morgan Stanley, Nasdaq, PwC, Siemens, United Nations, Wiley. Just today I just signed paperwork for an international student that got a full-time job offer before his third semester with a six-figure salary.

No matter where you go, key job skills are oral and written presentation, presence and attention in meetings, and the ability to think on your feet. Work on these, in addition to the topical skills that you learn in your degree courses. Your job preparation (and hunt) begins the moment you set foot on campus. Don't wait until the last semester.

3) How do students structure the program and internships?

Typically a student would take 4+4+Internship+3 courses. It is possible to take a course in the summer semester and to do an internship and finish with 2 courses. Financial calculations depend on individual circumstances, for example how many credits are used for the Internship. The flat-rate tuition covers 3 or 4 courses (so you don't save money by taking 3 instead of 4).

4) How many students get GA/RA/TA positions?

We have a large (and growing) number of RA/GA/TA positions within the School of Business, and the university overall hires students to work in offices such as the library, IT, athletics and central administrative positions. We typically make assignment decisions for RA/GA/TA positions at the beginning of each semester when we know the pool of students on campus and the specific needs of open positions. Students are eligible for GA/RA positions from the first semester. To work as a TA the student has to have completed the course they are supporting, so these positions start after the first semester.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards

Michael zur Muehlen

Dear Michael,

Thank you for providing the information. Can you please throw some light on Project Management track in MSIS course? I am interested in this concentration and would like to know what are the jobs/internships prospects for this particular track. Do companies recruit students for PM related roles from Stevens MSIS batch? Also please let me know whether this track requires any specific amount/kind of previous experience to pursue it?

Thanks in advance.

Ambar Roy
08-10-2015 09:27 PM
honeyshahi Offline
New Edulixian

honeyshahi Offline
New Edulixian

Hello,
I have got an admit from Stevens institute of technology for spring 2016. I was a bit confused about applying for TA. Can we submit TA forms online before enrollment or do i need to send hard copy of filled form to Stevens before enrollment.

Thanks in advance. Tagging seniors. sudhir.muddana.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2015 03:34 PM by honeyshahi.)
08-19-2015 03:32 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread