Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
FH Aachen - Aachen University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
Unisearch: Link
FH Aachen - Aachen University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
Hello People,

All queries regarding FH Aachen can be posted in this thread. Just to give you an overview about the courses at FH Aachen, there are four Masters programs in English. They are:
M.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering
M.Sc. in Automotive Engineering
M.Sc. in Energy Systems
M.Sc. in Mechatronics
Only the Energy Systems department is located at Jülich campus (which is not very far from Aachen). The departments of the other courses are located in Aachen.

Applications:

For Automotive Engineering:

(03-20-2014 11:53 PM)antidive Wrote:  nimbus_2000 has already explained in detail in the previous year's FH Aachen thread about the scoring system for admission to the Automotive Engineering (Similar for Aerospace course too) course.

(04-10-2013 08:54 AM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  They give a "total score" to each candidate from 1 to 4.

Similar to the German grading system where 1 is the best score and 4 the lowest.

This score consists of two components:

1. For international students GRE quant score. The weightage of this to the "total score" is 55%. The exact points given to the (i think) percentiles obtained in quant portion is mentioned on Pg. 6

2. Fachliche Eignungsnote (Subjects that make you eligible to study the course). These subjects are mentioned for both the Aero and Auto courses. See Page 3 end. For Auto the subjects are:
1. Aerodynamik im Fahrzeugbau (Aerodynamics in Vehicle Design)
2. Dynamik der Fahrzeuge (Vehicle Dynamics)
3. Mess- und Prüftechniken im Powertrainbereich oder Leichtbau (Testing techniques in Powertrains or Light weight design)
4. Automobilelektronik oder Maschinendynamik (Auto Electronics or Dynamics of Machinery)
5. Getriebetechnik oder Fertigungstechniken im Fahrzeugbau (Transmissions or Production Techniques in Automobiles)
6. Alternative Antriebe oder Fahrzeugaufbau (Alternative Power Technologies or Vehicle Manufacturing)
7. Energiespeichersysteme oder Fahrzeugintegration (Energy Saving Systems or Vehicle Integration)
They will make a table of all these "qualifying" subjects and give final points to it. From 1 to 4. This will count for 45% of the "Total Score".

Now the total score should be less than or equal to 2,3. Otherwise we are not eligible for the course.

Here are the documents that explain this process in detail.
In German and in English

The English translation, has been added this year, if I'm not wrong and might have errors as mentioned in the document itself.

FAQs:
(04-13-2014 08:02 PM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  In the course comparison list in FH Aachen for MSc in automotive engg, can i fill the same subject name for more than one subject listed?

As for the Automotive application, I wouldn't recommend putting Automotive Engineering in both fields as then, the credit points awarded will be split into two categories and you might lose some valuable points. I would suggest that you add more courses to the list of courses column if the content is split into more than one courses. But in principle, you can add the same course for two different rows as you are sending them the description of the courses too with the application documents.

(05-14-2014 01:07 AM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  My course requirement covers only dynamics of machinery,transmission, automobile and maybe fluid(as a cover for auto aero). I have uploaded work experience letters, letters of recommendation, BAJA,FSAE etc. which indicates work in vehicle dynamics and systems integration specifically. Any idea if this would compensate for the low coverage of courses required?

I would recommend that you try to fill all the courses in the course comparison list. Work ex letters and projects won't compensate for it as the university checks whether your Bachelor's course makes you eligible to participate in the Masters program. Regarding the courses that do not match, you can fill in subjects which have some similarities to the ones mentioned in the course comparison list. You have to anyways attach the detailed description of the courses in your application.

For Mechatronics:

(03-31-2014 03:44 PM)antidive Wrote:  For those interested in the Mechatronics course at FH Aachen the admission procedure is detailed in this document at the FH Aachen website

http://www.fh-aachen.de/en/programmes/me...df&did=413

Since there isn't an English translation available at the website, I've translated the document into English to the best of my abilities ( Goethe B1 FTW!). The document is available at the MS OneDrive link below. The translation is wayyy better than what Google Translate dishes out, but be warned, there might be errors and you shouldn't really blame me for whatever might happen due to those errors!

http://1drv.ms/1fdrpXM

Here's a basic outline of the admissions procedure with respect to applicants from India. Your profile is evaluated and scored based on the following criteria.

1) Assessment Element - Grades: A maximum of 17 points are awarded based on your Bachelors degree grades, as shown in Table 2 of the document.

Additionally, my understanding is that if there isn't an average percentage/CGPA mentioned in your transcript, the Admissions Committee will calculate a weighted average score based on specific subjects as mentioned in the document above under '§ 5 | Assessment of Eligibility' section and point (2).

Grades that aren't similar to the German Grading System are converted using the Bavarian Formula, this might be a useful tool.

http://io.uni-paderborn.de/en/incoming/f...-transfer/

2) Assessment Element - GRE: A maximum of 16 points is awarded based on your GRE scores. Maximum of 11.2 points, 3.2 points and 1.6 points are awarded to your Quantative, Verbal and Analytical Writing Percentile Rank respectively. Details in Table 3.

3) Suitability of First University Degree: To evaluate the relevant of your Bachelors degree, a maximum of six subjects as mentioned in Table 4 are awarded two points each, based on their relevance to the course requirements. So that's another 12 points here.

You are eligible for admission only if you secure at least 30 points out of a total of 45 points.

Again, all of this based on my understanding of the document in German. If you have alternate explanations, please do point out the errors!

Reviews:

Automotive Engineering:

How is the course work /facilities/campus?
In Automotive Engineering, you can select two tracks. One is Powertrain which focuses more on calibration of engines and transmissions. The other one is Vehicle Simulation which goes more into virtual vehicle development, MBD and all fields related to virtual simulation such as FEM, CFD, etc. There is also an option to take a mixture of courses from these two tracks. One of the best things I liked about the course is that there are no compulsory courses. All courses are actually "electives" and you can take as many courses as you like. Most of the times the courses do not clash with each other and "theoretically", you can attend all the courses you are interested in. One of the other awesome things here in Aachen, is that you can even register as a "Zweithoerer" for the RWTH courses and you can even write the examinations of the RWTH Aachen University. All the professors at FH Aachen are involved in some sort of research collaboration with the industry and hence they can give you an insight into the cutting edge technologies in vehicle development. Unlike the RWTH Aachen University, the batch strength at FH is really small (We were like hardly 8-10 students) and hence it is a lot easier to talk to the professors or ask them questions directly. One of the main attributes of FH is that we have to attend these compulsory practical sessions unlike our TU counterparts. So we can get much more hands-on knowledge about the work that we are going to do post-masters. Plus we get learn many (sometimes too many) new softwares during our course. Many of these practical sessions happen in the industry (Sometimes we get to drive to some really cool cars too Wink ). Plus for some software sessions, the trainers are actually the people who developed the software. Just to summarize, the learning opportunities here are enormous!

Energy Systems:
(12-22-2011 07:08 PM)JT_daniel Wrote:  
(12-20-2011 01:25 PM)abhi89 Wrote:  1. How is the coursework, Labs and faculty?

In short, excellent. The campus is located in Juelich which is around 30 km from Aachen and looks very small, so I was initially crestfallen. Then I found out that it was just for 3 branches- Energy Systems, Biomedical Engg and Nuclear Tech, along with the Mechanical Engineering (bachelors).

The course work is really relevant and perfectly in sync with the Energy Field- In my first semester, I have Power Plant Tech, Renewable Energy as my compulsory lectures and I can choose from a whole host of extremely interesting lectures such as Fuel Cells, Process Plant Design, Combustion Engines, Business Administration, Transport Tech, Material Transport, Piping, International Energy Policy, International Energy Regulations and a whole host of other electives which I don't know much of, since I'm not taking them. You can select electives and specialize in your favored module (I'm specializing in Renewables). The professors are all industry veterans and are top notch in English. For example, the Power Plant lecturer has 35 years experience with Siemens and is a Doctorate and can converse in 11 languages fluently (lol!). The Process Plant Design prof is a relatively young man with 15 years experience in Alstom and a PhD holder, who left his job 6 months back to start teaching. The Business Admin lecturer is the ex-Mayor of Aachen and owns 4 multi million Euro turnover companies (he teaches for peanuts, but claims he would do it for free, since he finds teaching youngsters like us invigorating). Those three are possibly my most favorite lecturers here. But every single one of the lecturers are friendly, approachable, competent and encouraging. In short, I love all of them. Smile

Labs are really good too, they have every equipment necessary really. It's not a research institute, all the research equipment are located in the Forschungszentrum Juelich (located 2 km away), with whom the University have excellent relations. It's practically an extension of the university, considering the number of scientists who lecture occasionally here and the number of students working there.

Quote:2. What are job/research prospects?

There are a lot of points with which I can make a compelling argument-

-- Germany will need around 150,000 Engineers in the next 5-10 years.
-- Nuclear plants are going to be completely shut down in 2022 and to be replaced by Renewables. That means a few hundred GW of Renewable Electric plants to be built in the next few years. Who will they need for this? Go figure. Smile
-- Residence permit issues relaxed 2 weeks ago- Now, employers only need to pay 48k Euro as salary (as opposed to 66k before) to apply residence permit for foreign nationals. And after 2 years of working, you are eligible for the magical two letters, PR. Compare that with the situation in the US and UK. Smile
-- Research prospects are excellent- If you really want to do research, you will have more than enough support and money available here.

Quote:3. How is student life in Germany?

Depends on what you are looking for. Here in Juelich, it is a quite little town and the most happening places are the two pubs (lol) on Friday night. Most students go to Cologne/Aachen/Dusseldorf for hard partying. You'll have lots of groups for stuff like cycling, table tennis, football, jogging etc etc.

The international atmosphere here is incredible. I've got friends from Jordan, Tajikistan, Nepal, Germany, Belgium, Mexico, Columbia, Brazil- And frankly, it's incredible. I'm literally enjoying life here. I'm actually enjoying doing assignments, presentations- It's awesome.

You will enjoy it here if you are into Renewables. I can assure you of that!

I'm glad someone brought this thread back from the dead! Smile

Living in Aachen:

(06-13-2014 10:46 PM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  I need health insurance confirmation in order to enroll at FH Aachen.
One person advised me to take health insurance from India for 1 month. After reaching there, register for health insurance from a german company.
How much time will the german companies take to process the insurance?
What did you do?

You need to take travel insurance from the day you are flying to the day you are going to enroll in the university. Generally a one month travel insurance is sufficient.

After reaching Aachen, you can register for TK or AOK (German health insurance is a requirement for enrollment in the university). You can select one depending on your choice. This takes hardly 10 mins. You need to just go to the TK or AOK office. They will take some docs from you and will give you a certificate stating that you are insured by them. With this document, you can directly submit to the Studiensekretariat of the FH Aachen. Just land in Aachen and I will take you around to complete all the formalities of registration.

(06-07-2014 07:22 AM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  Accommodation in Aachen:

You can apply to the student residences on this website:
http://www.wohnheime-aachen.de/
You can apply to a number of dormitories but they ask us to restrict the number of dorms we apply to, to a maximum of three.
This is common for both the RWTH and FH students. It's best to apply to the Wohnheim's as soon as you start applying and not wait until after the student has received a confirmed admit. Normally it takes a minimum of six months to a year to secure accommodation at Wohnheims since they're affordable, fun and safe.

To be frank, it is not very easy to find accommodation here as the number of student residences here are very few in number as compared to the number of students. You can apply to the Wohnheims asap. But generally the waiting lists are more than a year. The best way for you is to find an "Untermieter" or a "Zwischenmieter" during the initial period. There are lots of ads being placed in facebook groups for such kinds of accommodation. You should join the following FB groups and scout for such ads regularly:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/42052173...6/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/167611796706679/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/174428701783/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/49596605...2/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/aachen.wohnen/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/25075415...7/?fref=ts

And some of the pages you can follow for WG (Wohngemeinschaft) searches are:
https://www.facebook.com/Wohnungen.frei....en?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wohnungen...7942595207

There are also websites which have ads uploaded on them regularly. Some are:
http://www.wg-gesucht.de/
http://www.studenten-wg.de/
http://www.easywg.de/"

Find short term accommodation first and then long term after reaching here.

FH Aachen threads:

- Winter Semester 2014/2015
- Winter Semester 2013/2014
- Winter Semester 2012/2013

You can post your questions here and I will try to answer them as much as I can.
Thanks antidive for your contributions to this thread.

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 01:49 AM by nimbus_2000.)
03-06-2014 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sameeksha9 Offline
New Edulixian

sameeksha9 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
RE: FH Aachen - Aachen University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
Hi,

I am Interested to apply for M.Sc in Energy Systems. Kindly confirm the deadline for this particular course, also is GRE mandate for applying to this course ??

Awaiting your confirmation !!

Regards,
Sameeksha Anand
03-14-2014 01:14 AM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

sameeksha9

GRE was mandatory till last year. But this year it seems that there is no requirement (At least GRE requirement does not show up on their application page).
Deadline is on 15th May.

Check: http://www.fh-aachen.de/en/programmes/en...plication/

03-14-2014 02:21 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

nimbus_2000 has already explained in detail in the previous year's FH Aachen thread about the scoring system for admission to the Automotive Engineering course.

(04-10-2013 08:54 AM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  They give a "total score" to each candidate from 1 to 4.

Similar to the German grading system where 1 is the best score and 4 the lowest.

This score consists of two components:

1. For international students GRE quant score. The weightage of this to the "total score" is 55%. The exact points given to the (i think) percentiles obtained in quant portion is mentioned on Pg. 6

2. Fachliche Eignungsnote (Subjects that make you eligible to study the course). These subjects are mentioned for both the Aero and Auto courses. See Page 3 end. For Auto the subjects are:
1. Aerodynamik im Fahrzeugbau (Aerodynamics in Vehicle Design)
2. Dynamik der Fahrzeuge (Vehicle Dynamics)
3. Mess- und Prüftechniken im Powertrainbereich oder Leichtbau (Testing techniques in Powertrains or Light weight design)
4. Automobilelektronik oder Maschinendynamik (Auto Electronics or Dynamics of Machinery)
5. Getriebetechnik oder Fertigungstechniken im Fahrzeugbau (Transmissions or Production Techniques in Automobiles)
6. Alternative Antriebe oder Fahrzeugaufbau (Alternative Power Technologies or Vehicle Manufacturing)
7. Energiespeichersysteme oder Fahrzeugintegration (Energy Saving Systems or Vehicle Integration)
They will make a table of all these "qualifying" subjects and give final points to it. From 1 to 4. This will count for 45% of the "Total Score".

Now the total score should be less than or equal to 2,3. Otherwise we are not eligible for the course.

Here are the documents that explain this process in detail.
In German and in English

The English translation, has been added this year, if I'm not wrong and might have errors as mentioned in the document itself.

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
03-20-2014 11:53 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

Thanks antidive
I didn't know that such a translation was there on the website. I will add your post to the first one.

03-20-2014 11:56 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

Suprisingly though, the M.Sc. Mechatronics programme demands a good GRE score in not just the Quantative part, but also Verbal and even Analytical Writing! Each part contributes to the total score. The details are available in this document. It is in German and an English version is not available yet.

Also, the application for the Mechatronics process is fully online. I might be wrong, but I think last year the application had to be sent by post.

Finally, while the Automotive Engineering program lets slide the requirement for TOEFL/IELTS score if medium of instruction during your UG was English, the Mechatronics and Energy Systems course demand you upload your TOEFL/IELTS scores during application. Be warned though, you will have to anyway present TOEFL/IELTS during the VI, so it's better to have a score report ready.

nimbus_2000 Would you by an remote chance have an idea about the GRE scores of successful applicants to the Mechatronics programme? siddhantnt seems to be the only applicant I was able to find who had secured an admit for the programme last year, but chose to pursue the programme at TUHH.

From his profile can we assume the Mechatronics course is easier to get into than the Automotive course where nothing but a Quantative score of 168 or higher will do?

The English translation wasn't there during SS2014. It seems to have been added for the Winter Semester.

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 12:12 AM by antidive.)
03-21-2014 12:10 AM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

antidive

I will inform you about the GRE scores after inquiring with a couple of my classmates.
The intake for Mechatronics is much more than the Auto/Aero programs.(At least that was the case last year). I know a couple of people to in the current batch who could get an admit for the Mechatronics course but didn't get one for the Auto one. But again it depends on the intake. If they increase it for the coming Winter Semester, it will be a bit easier to get in.

03-21-2014 12:18 AM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

For those interested in the Mechatronics course at FH Aachen the admission procedure is detailed in this document at the FH Aachen website

http://www.fh-aachen.de/en/programmes/me...df&did=413

Since there isn't an English translation available at the website, I've translated the document into English to the best of my abilities ( Goethe B1 FTW!). The document is available at the MS OneDrive link below. The translation is wayyy better than what Google Translate dishes out, but be warned, there might be errors and you shouldn't really blame me for whatever might happen due to those errors!

http://1drv.ms/1fdrpXM

Here's a basic outline of the admissions procedure with respect to applicants from India. Your profile is evaluated and scored based on the following criteria.

1) Assessment Element - Grades: A maximum of 17 points are awarded based on your Bachelors degree grades, as shown in Table 2 of the document.

Additionally, my understanding is that if there isn't an average percentage/CGPA mentioned in your transcript, the Admissions Committee will calculate a weighted average score based on specific subjects as mentioned in the document above under '§ 5 | Assessment of Eligibility' section and point (2).

Grades that aren't similar to the German Grading System are converted using the Bavarian Formula, this might be a useful tool.

http://io.uni-paderborn.de/en/incoming/f...-transfer/

2) Assessment Element - GRE: A maximum of 16 points is awarded based on your GRE scores. Maximum of 11.2 points, 3.2 points and 1.6 points are awarded to your Quantative, Verbal and Analytical Writing Percentile Rank respectively. Details in Table 3.

3) Suitability of First University Degree: To evaluate the relevant of your Bachelors degree, a maximum of six subjects as mentioned in Table 4 are awarded two points each, based on their relevance to the course requirements. So that's another 12 points here.

You are eligible for admission only if you secure at least 30 points out of a total of 45 points.

Again, all of this based on my understanding of the document in German. If you have alternate explanations, please do point out the errors!

03-31-2014 03:44 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

antidive

GRE scores of over 310 should be sufficient for Mechatronics as far as the last Winter intake was concerned.

03-31-2014 08:10 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

nimbus_2000 Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Could you shed some light on the Program priority(*) part of the application? I understand the Automotive Programme might be AMBI for me, but I'll be retaking the GRE soon and hope to get a better quant score. If the new GRE scores still aren't good enough for the auto programme, I'm hoping for at least entry into the Mechatronics programme and take up the Vehicle Dynamics elective.

So what should be my Program priority? Can I go with 1 for Auto and 2 for Mechatronics even though the Auto deadlines and consequently the selection process and results announcement are later than those of the Mechatronics programme?

04-02-2014 07:50 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

antidive

Is there such an option in the online application?
I didn't find such a thing during our time. Can you point me to a link where it is stated.

04-02-2014 07:55 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

This is the one I'm talking about. It's at the online application portal.

[Image: WWlVOtx.jpg]

04-02-2014 10:38 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

antidive

If Auto is first on your list, then you should give it the first priority.
Regarding the GRE scores, it might just make the cut as it really depends on the number of applicants for the program and the total intake. Last year they had drastically reduced the intake from 30 to around 5. But they might just increase it back. (For this Summer intake they took 6 applicants in comparison to 3 last time). And I think it is comparatively easy to get into Mechatronics. I know quite a few people who had applied to both and got a reject for Auto but an admit for Mechatronics.

04-03-2014 12:32 AM
viv278 Offline
New Edulixian

viv278 Offline
New Edulixian

nimbus_2000 can you help me out with the Credit points ,are we supposed to convert it to ECTS while filling the form? if so how

04-10-2014 10:25 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

viv278

You need not convert it to ECTS credits.
You can directly fill in the credit points that your college has awarded you per course.

04-10-2014 10:30 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread