revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Multiple Erasmus Admits
Hi,

I wanted to ask about a very peculiar problem. I recieved IT4BI (Action 1 scholarship) admit in the first week of march, but they said that the official confirmation would be given by EC on 30th April.

Now I recieved a mail yesterday from EMINTE (Action 2 scholarship) with MS in University of Amsterdam in Artificial Intelligence. They have asked me to confirm the scholarship within 10 days of the reciept of the mail.

I am confused at to what should I do as I still don't have formal confirmation from EC.

Please Suggest.

Scholarships: IT4BI (Category A scholarship) | DMKM (Without Scholarship) | VIBOT (Waitisted) | EMINTE (UoA) | NAMASTE | SVAGATA | AREAS+ | INTERWEAVE
Non Scholarship - ICT Innovation in HCID (Without scholarship) | RWTH Aachen (Media Informatics) | Stuttgart (INFOTECH) | UBC | SFU | RWTH Aachen (System Software Engg.)

Result Awaited | Admit | Reject
03-25-2014 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

RE: Multiple Erasmus Admits
revolutionisme

If you have got the confirmation by email, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. It takes some time to receive the official documents.

I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not.
03-25-2014 04:25 PM
revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

billa

So should I just decline the offer from EMINTE? Someone told me to accept the scholarship and when I get the formal confirmation from EC for IT4BI then decline it. But that would be morally wrong.

That's why needed some insights, because if anything goes against in the formal confirmation of IT4BI, I will be nowhere.

Scholarships: IT4BI (Category A scholarship) | DMKM (Without Scholarship) | VIBOT (Waitisted) | EMINTE (UoA) | NAMASTE | SVAGATA | AREAS+ | INTERWEAVE
Non Scholarship - ICT Innovation in HCID (Without scholarship) | RWTH Aachen (Media Informatics) | Stuttgart (INFOTECH) | UBC | SFU | RWTH Aachen (System Software Engg.)

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2014 04:52 PM by revolutionisme.)
03-25-2014 04:34 PM
billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

revolutionisme

You should not worry about this, just see which program you want to study and make decision based on that, not because of rush to accept the offer.

As far I know, accepting an offer is final and you cannot decline after confirmation.
This is the selection procedure for almost all Erasmus programs that they first inform about the decision by email and later send the confirmation. I do not think there will be any problem with it. You can try contacting IT4BI program and ask just to be sure.

I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not.
03-25-2014 05:02 PM
sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

Hey revolutionisme,

Congrats on your admits. I also applied to Eminte. I have not heard anything yet. So, I presume I am not selected for that scholarship. What target group did you apply for?
03-26-2014 08:20 PM
revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sourabhtheone

I am not sure, but I would like to believe that the college you applied to will give you admission letter first, this happened with me.

I got the acceptance letter from University of Amsterdam first and after that, 2 days later got a mail from EMINTE regarding the scholarship.
So if your selected university have not started giving out admission letters then I doubt you would receive any communication from EMINTE as well.

I applied for TG2. Just remember that the college has to provide admission then only you can recieve scholarship confirmation.

03-27-2014 12:01 AM
sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

Thanks for the information. I think universities in Sweden will declare their results today or tomorrow. So, If I do not receive any letter from them in a couple of days, then I can assume that I am not short-listed/selected.

Btw, you got two EM scholarships. What kind of profile do you have? You must have a very good profile I say that. Do you have international publications as well?
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 04:55 AM by sourabhtheone.)
03-27-2014 04:51 AM
revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sourabhtheone

Well, I was also skeptic of my profile earlier, actually everyone is... until he/she gets an admit. It might surprise you, but I don't have any publication at all, neither national nor international. No GRE as well.

After giving some thought, I had my own realization that rather than all the other things (GRE, IELTS etc.) It's the entire profile that matters.

I had comparatively good acads thorughout(10th - 90.8%, 12th - 87.4%, B.Tech - 9.06/10) but what may have laid my foundation is my interest in Artificial Intelligence.

I did my major and minor projects on AI. My mentor in both the project is the best professor in AI and ML in my university. The same guy wrote my LOR (he also has affiliation to UC Berkeley where he did some fellowship). The second professor who wrote my LOR was also from similar field and interest(Soft Computing).

In addition to that I did 3 online courses from Udacity and Coursera which were again in AI and ML.

So overall I molded my profile into completely AI and I believe that might have helped me.

I hope that helped.

03-27-2014 11:08 AM
sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

revolutionisme,

Cool. Thanks

Did you pay for Signature Track certification on Coursera? If not, do universities accept unverified online certification? I am also taking few classes on Coursera. I just do not want to pay if Signature Track does not help.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 07:39 PM by sourabhtheone.)
03-27-2014 03:19 PM
revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sourabhtheone

Well I did the courses when they were separate entities. I did ai-class.com and ml-class.com , now aiclass is under udacity and mlclass is under coursera.

So I ca't really comment on the signature track.

03-27-2014 07:52 PM
sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

sourabhtheone Offline
New Edulixian

revolutionisme

Okay. So, I wanted to ask if you received only an electronic certificate. Are those certificates accepted by universities? When you apply to universities, do they account such courses as credit courses or non-credit courses? Do you know if these free online courses can fulfill some academic or minimum requirements if you cannot meet those minimum requirements through your bachelor's degree alone?

Sorry for asking too many questions. I am taking few classes on Coursera as well to improve my overall profile.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 08:35 PM by sourabhtheone.)
03-27-2014 08:34 PM
revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

revolutionisme Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sourabhtheone

Sorry for replying late.

Yes, I received only electronic certificate. Obviously the certificates are digitally signed so their authenticity could be easily proved.

And no, online courses(atleast the free ones) don't fulfill any minimum requirements, neither they can give you any credits for the course you pursue.

Although the paid ones may have some different mechanism which you learn more by visiting the website.

I did the courses because they intrigued my interest in the fields, I didn't do them thinking about future implications.

03-30-2014 09:45 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread