Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25th June 2014 || 0815 || German Consulate, New Delhi || RWTH || MS Media Informatics
dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
25th June 2014 || 0815 || German Consulate, New Delhi || RWTH || MS Media Informatics
German Student Visa - Experience - New Delhi
University: RWTH Aachen University
Course: MSc Media Informatics, WS 2014/15

First advice, go through the india.diplo.de and the VFS-Germany websites thoroughly. You should find almost all the information at these websites. You can also call VFS-Germany helpline for any questions, but in my case, they were not very helpful regarding questions that I had beyond what was available on these websites. Some blog-posts were also helpful. (I’ll share the links as soon as possible).

For fixing my appointment, I went with the online appointment system available at the VFS-Germany website for New Delhi. On my first attempt though (on 16th June), the system was showing that the next available date was on 8th July, which kind of made me worried as I plan to travel in August. Still, I fixed the appointment and got the appointment letter on my email.

(For those like me who do not have a surname in their passport, and just a single Given Name, you can enter your given name in both the first name and the last name fields, in my case it was Abdullah Abdullah, which is an inconvenience I have a lot of experience with) (and I also confirmed it with VFS, the name will not be printed in the visa).

On 19th June, I tried rescheduling my appointment through the same online portal and got a date on, lo and behold, 25th June (other dates available were 20th (!!!), 23rd, 24th). I grabbed the opportunity even though it was only available for the morning 0815 session, but who cares, I will not be sleeping the whole night anyway.

In short, if you’re not able to find an appointment at an early date, don’t lose hope. Fix what you are getting, and keep looking every morning for a possible reschedule. You might get one for the next day!

Why did I choose 25th? Because compiling docs is not an easy task. Will go in details below. Take note of the Order.

1. Application Form
    1. Download the doc file from the diplo website
    2. Prefer filling it on a computer (I did because I have a not so good handwriting)
    3. For most of my confusions, this post on Facebook was helpful. But be warned, it is a post from last year. (For specific / weird queries, dig the mine of Gold that is Edulix)
    4. In my case :
      1. for address in Germany, I filled the full address of the B-IT Center, including phone and email
      2. for contact person, Dr.-Ing. Jurgen Rapp (Study Advisor). Full Address, Phone, and Email are Mandatory
      3. for financing, “Others”, and mentioned the Blocked account Details
      4. for duration of stay, I wrote “August 2014 to October 2016”, but the interviewer asked me to replace August 2014 with the exact departure date. I wrote 13/08/2014
      5. German Health insurance : “No”
      6. Visa required for : 2 Years
    5. Took two printouts, and signed
    6. attached one photograph on each (Additionally, they asked for 3 more at the time of interview)
  2. Declaration on True and complete Information:
    1. Download pdf from india.diplo.de website
    2. print two copies (Color not needed)
    3. sign with date on both of them
  3. Cover Letter
    1. The guideline I followed was at this link (pdf from india.diplo.de Kolkata)
    2. I printed two copies, and signed where needed
    3. Media Informatics: I wrote explicitly that I need a visa for Bonn
  4. Blocked Account Details and confirmation of transfer of sums from DB
    1. took 2 printouts of the two letters I received from DB
    2. the account has 8090 euros. though the minimum amount mentioned on the website is 7908 euros, but I was advised against it by some seniors
  5. Original Admit letter:
    1. arranged two photocopies of the original hard copy of the letter I received from RWTH (Though I think original was not that necessary, one of the student applicants there submitted printouts of her pdf admit letters, but mentioned her situation clearly to the interviewer beforehand)
    2. Additionally, I attached two copies of the enrolment letter I downloaded from the application portal at RWTH (The letter has the line that “Please do not send money now, the semester fees will have to be paid after enrollment”, which should have helped me if they needed proof of payment of fee, but I was never asked about it)
    3. Media Informatics: two printouts of the letter from Dr Rapp regarding the whole living in Bonn thing. This document was helpful in explaining why Bonn, not Aachen, as the interview did ask for an explanation. (the interviewer had read the letter, she still asked me to explain, so be ready)
  6. IELTS Score
    1. Two photocopies
    2. Carry Orignal
    3. Additionally, I submitted my GATE and GRE (printout from website) scorecards, along with 2 photocopies of each
  7. Academic Certificates (in Original and 2 photocopies):
    1. Bachelors Degree (or provisional certificate, but they will ask questions if it has been more than 2 years since graduation)
    2. Transcript of grades
    3. 12th passing Certificate
    4. 10th passing certificate
  8. Work Experience Certificate (if Applicable) (I had it, attached two copies)
  9. Proof of Funds for 2nd year of my studies (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)
    1. As far as I could gather, this is only a requirement at the German Embassy in New Delhi
    2. You need 2 copies of Account Statements wherever you have the funds stored, or bank/loan letter (I attached copies of my mother’s passbook)
    3. and two copies of letter of sponsorship
      1. I carried an Affidavit of support from my mother, along with two copies of it, (Will share sample later) because the amount was in her account
      2. Even if the amount is in your own account, if it has been transferred by your parents or relatives, you need to submit a letter from them acknowledging the agreement to support your education. This happened with one of the students. Take Two Copies
    4. My program is for two years, so the amount I showed them was a little over 8100 eur. This may vary depending on your course’s duration
    5. Of course, all this is after submitting the Blocked Account Confirmation
  10. Original Passport, along with 2 copies of it’s data pages:
    1. Check the embassy website for full details of the requirements
    2. just to put it out there, Handwritten passports are not acceptable (this is the reason why I am running so late with my visa process)
  11. Three Phtographs as per the biometric Specifications:
    1. I arranged for them from the Reflections Studio (mentioned at the Embassy website)
    2. 200 rupees for 6 photographs (!!!), but I ended up using 5 of them (two were pasted on the visa application forms).
  12. Demand Draft:
    1. Amount: 4900 Rupees (Check the embassy website for the latest fee for long stay visa)
    2. In favour of: Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, New Delhi
    3. Payable at: New Delhi
    4. Cash was also being accepted, but carry the exact amount, or get stuck in the infinite “Change-Nahi-Hai; Mere-Paas-Bhi-Nahi-Hai” Loop. And there is not ATM around for a few Kilometers, that I know of.

Complete Time-line
  • Reached the German Embassy at 0750.
  • Entry through the gate started at 0810. When my turn came in the line, they asked if I had a mobile phone with me. I had.
    • “You cannot carry it inside”
    • “I have come alone”
    • “Submit it at the security counter of the other gate”
    • Done
  • Came back. Was asked for my passport. They checked it with a list of appointments they had.
  • Full body, bag, documents Checkup
    • “You cannot carry this pen-drive inside”
    • “Ohh teri, I lost this thing like two years ago” *No, I am not lying* *And Yes, They found it in the bag*
    • *Luck huh*
    • “Submit it at the counter as well”
    • *Ran, literally*
  • Came back. Full Checkup again. No Bleep Bloops this time.
  • To the enquiry counter.
    • “Passport”
    • “Here”
    • “You’re Late”
    • O_O “I had to submit my phone and all” *Ze Germans* *But the guy was Indian*
    • “Counter Number 1”
  • To the Counter Number 1. As soon as I stepped into the waiting Area
      • “Abdullah” *My name was called*
        • “Yes” *Went To the Counter*[list]
        • Mid to late Thirties, Headmistress-types lady (a bit scary)
    • “Give me your Passport” *Original*
    • “Why are you going to Germany”
      • “Studies … Masters … “
    • “University and Course”
      • “RWTH Aachen University, Masters in Media Informatics”
    • “Give me one set of copies of your documents”
      • *I had two sets, arranged separately, Passed in one set*
        • She started arranging them in an order
    • “Good that you have the sponsorship letter here”
      • “Thanks”
    • “Give me three passport sized Photographs”
    • “Write the exact date of your departure for the duration of stay field in the visa application.”
      • “I’ll travel probably by 13th August”
    • “Whatever, write the exact date”
      • “Okay”
    • “Do you have travel Insurance”
      • “Nope, but I plan to get it as per my visa approval”
        • *she went back to arranging documents, put a clip on it*
    • “I have arranged these documents in a specific order. Arrange your second set of copies in exactly the same order. Do Not add or remove any documents. And Do Not remove the clip. Here and fill this form”
      • I thought *Wow, no soul searching questions, phew*
      • But then I looked at the form.
      • These were the questions (not word for word)
        • What will you be studying, and why have you chosen Germany to do that?
        • What are your future goals?
        • Have you given CET? Please give details of results?(*I wrote down my GATE and GRE score, CET=Common Entrance Test*)
        • Name some important researchers in your field of work and explain their contribution? **word censored by forum** (Improvised ;p)
        • Name a writer you have read who writes in English. Name one of his books, and briefly explain it’s storyline.(A senior had already tipped me about this)
        • Has there been a break in your studies that was longer than 6 months? If yes, explain what you did in that time?(my case, Job)
      • Arranged the second set in the exact order she put the first set
        • The order was the same as I have ordered them in the list above
    • *She called my name again after like half an hour*
    • “Pass me the two sets. Have you arranged them in the Exact Order”
      • “Yes” *MeLord*
    • *For the next 5 to 10 minutes, she kept on typing on the computer, with occasional questions about what course, which semester, explain why Bonn when your university is in Aachen, details of my last degree, details of job, etc. Nothing more than skin deep, one line answers were enough*
    • *Biometrics Fingerprint Scanning*
    • *More typing*
    • “How will you be paying the visa fee of 4900?”
      • “Demand Draft”
    • “Good. Pass me the DD”
      • *me, smiling*
    • *More Typing, some questions regarding my family, parent’s jobs, etc, nothing serious or out of ordinary*
    • *she took a printout. Put a D stamp on my passport*
    • “This is the acknowledgement. Your Passport. We have accepted your documents, but it will now go for approval, which can take 4-8 weeks. The decision will be notified to you via email, along with further instructions”
      • “Do I have to submit anything else, like Travel Insurance, etc”
    • “It will be in your email”
  • Outside by 1015
    • Fingers crossed since then
      • it’s beginning to hurt a little
        • just kidding

The key is to have all the documents ready, and arranged in separate sets. One student had all the photocopies put neatly inside the plastic leaves of his big folder, original-photocopy-photocopy. The interview lady got angry with him, and told him to go back to the seat to take them out, and remove any staples. It took him quite some time to pull out the documents and make them into sets, by when my whole process was finished.

My interview went very smoothly, but in case of a few people who did not bring the letter of support/sponsorship (for 2nd year), or did not have enough photocopies, the interview lady, at first got angry, but later, told them to get the documents by 1 PM the same day, so that they can keep the same appointment. (Unlike some horror stories I have heard about US Visa) I really liked that.

However, Let me remind you that I have not yet got the approval, so I may have done something terribly wrong.

Hope this is helpful.
Till then. Best of Luck.

P.S. @Seniors Posting this thread here as per advice from shivguru.rao. Thanks Mate.
Can tag me for New Delhi German Embassy related queries. I'll be happy to help.

PPS I like MarkDown now

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 06:37 PM by dada3mn.)
06-26-2014 09:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

RE: 25th June 2014 || 0815 || German Consulate, New Delhi || RWTH || MS Media Informatics
Maybe I'm missing something. Where does Bonn come into the picture?

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
06-26-2014 10:02 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
RE: 25th June 2014 || 0815 || German Consulate, New Delhi || RWTH || MS Media Informatics
spiketospica

MI is a course jointly offered by RWTH Aachen, University of Bonn and Fraunhofer Institute. Most of the courses take place at the new Bonn campus.

06-26-2014 10:24 PM
dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

spiketospica... It is specific to Media Informatics

nimbus_2000 [THUMBS UP SIGN]

06-26-2014 10:33 PM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

Very well. Thank you for the detailed post!

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
06-27-2014 10:31 AM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

dada3mn

Did they ask anything about the funds for the second year of study? Since you haven't mentioned anything about this in the conversation part between you and the VO.

They did not ask me anything about the funds for second year, but I was expecting a question on this (since lot of people and my friends told me that they would ask). BTW I went to the counter no.2.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new-Albert Einstein

All you need to know about studying Masters in Germany | German University specific threads with List of Seniors

Infobank Tutorial

Please avoid PMs. Tag me for replies
06-27-2014 02:27 PM
dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

scofield1144 I had the affidavit of support and the relevant bank statement attached in the set. When the VO was going through the docs, I mentioned what the purpose of the affidavit was. She didn't ask me anymore questions, but later asked about my mother's (sponsor) source of income (but not for any proof).

There was one other student who had the amount for the second year in her own account which was transferred by her father. Even then the VO asked the student to get a letter from the father as an acknowledgement of support.

I guess since I had all docs in place, I was lucky that not a lot of questions were asked to me. But showing Funds for second year is important, at least at the Delhi consulate.

06-27-2014 02:36 PM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

Rogue

Shall we have this thread in the main forum of the EU forum (it is now in PE forum of EU) to have better visibility? Please move the thread.

All you need to know about studying Masters in Germany | German University specific threads with List of Seniors

Infobank Tutorial

06-27-2014 02:37 PM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

nimbus_2000

The VO didnt ask anything about second year funds to me. Is there anything to worry about this?Neutral Since the Delhi consulate asks for second funds to everyone and I was not asked about this...d'oh!

And about the "D" seal, the VO put a seal which had something like this - Visa-studium DE and the date 26/6/14, German Embassy, New Delhi.

What is this D seal? They did not put any D seal in my passport but a seal which I mentioned above...Does it matter much?

Infobank Tutorial

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 01:13 AM by scofield1144.)
06-27-2014 02:46 PM
dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

dada3mn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

scofield1144

They asked me for 2nd year funds because my program is for 2 years (hence my duration of stay), and my blocked account had amount for only one year. May be it depends on the duration of the program or type of visa.

The D stamp I was talking about... It reads like
"VISA D DE
25/06/2014
EMBASSY OF GERMANY"
(Bold parts filled by hand by the VO)

while applying I chose "Long Stay - Student Visa" and mentioned it in the cover letter as well.

Sending from

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2014 02:59 PM by dada3mn.)
06-27-2014 02:58 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
scofield1144

The D-stamp means that you have applied for long-term visa.
There is no issue even if they have not asked you regarding the second year expenses. Just wait for their email.

06-27-2014 11:41 PM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
Done! Thread has been moved to the main EU forum.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
06-28-2014 07:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 2
Great job dada3mn
I have mine scheduled on 10th Jul at Mumbai consulate.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
VI Experience | Computer Science Course Page Link | Infobank Tutorial
Please tag in posts for answers.
06-28-2014 08:42 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

dada3mn Congratulations on your VISA. That was one mightly detailed German VISA post! Thank you! Please do stick around and continue answering queries!

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
06-29-2014 01:57 AM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

dada3mn, nimbus_2000, the form is the one which is available here right? The form says "Application for a Residence Permit". This is the form I should be filling for a student visa right?

07-07-2014 06:12 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread