Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mechatronics in Germany : List of Universities and Requirements
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Mechatronics in Germany : List of Universities and Requirements
There are numerous opportunities for Mechatronics grads in Germany. As FH Aachen mentions

Quote:Mechatronic engineers presently have outstanding career chances. According to all German and European industrial and engineering associations the demand for well-educated and application oriented mechatronics engineers will continue to steadily rise in the future. Since the expected number of graduates in this field is much lower than the industrial needs the professional chances for mechatronics engineers are predicted to remain excellent in the years to come.

Source

Here is a concise list of Universities offering this course, as well as the requirements.

Scroll further down for more elaborate details on the requirements as well as the course content.

1. FH Aachen
    REQUIREMENTS
    Undergraduate Grades: Not as important as the GRE
    GRE : Quant,Verbal & AWA (greater weight to Quant score)
    Language : German (B1, slightly flexible though), English (TOEFL,IELTS)
    LOR: No

COURSE DURATION
    4 Semesters ( 2 Years)

APPLICATION DEADLINE
    April 30th (Only Winter Semester)

DOCUMENT ATTESTATION
    Scanned copies of originals
    ~
  2. HS Ravensburg-Weingarten
    REQUIREMENTS
    Undergraduate Grades: Important
    GRE : 60% places for applicants with GRE
    Language Requirements : English (TOEFL,IELTS)
    LOR: If Available

COURSE DURATION
    3 Semesters ( 1 1/2 Years)

APPLICATION DEADLINE
    April 30th (Only Winter Semester)

DOCUMENT ATTESTATION
    Publicly certified photocopy (notary attested) of transcript and degree
    ~
  3. FH Kaiserslautern
    REQUIREMENTS
    GRE : Optional
    Language : German (B1 Compulsory), German B2 if you want to select the German Electives, English (TOEFL,IELTS)

COURSE DURATION
    3 Semesters ( 1 1/2 Years)

APPLICATION DEADLINE
    June 30th (Winter Semester), December 1st (Summer Semester)

DEGREE
    M.Eng (Mechatronics or Mechanical Engineering)

DOCUMENT ATTESTATION
    Officially stamped photocopies of first university degree (including transcripts)
    ~
  4. TUHH Hamburg
    REQUIREMENTS
    GRE : Required
    Language Requirements : English (TOEFL iBT 79,IELTS 6.5)
    LOR: Two ( Academic OR Professional)

APPLICATION DEADLINE
    31st March (Only Winter Semester)

COURSE DURATION
    4 Semesters ( 2 Years) (Without Internship)

DOCUMENT ATTESTATION
    Officially authenticated copy of bachelor’s degree certificate, officially authenticated copy of complete university transcript of records
    ~
  5. University of Siegen
    REQUIREMENTS
    GRE : -
    Language Requirements : English (TOEFL,IELTS)

COURSE DURATION
    4 Semesters ( 2 Years)

APPLICATION DEADLINE
    Online Application : April 30th
    Documents Receipt: May 21st

DOCUMENT ATTESTATION
    Concerning Indian applicants: All marks sheets and degree certificates (transcripts) must be sent through proper channel (original college).

------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: AOOQcUB.gif]

Before you even start reading here, go to Wohnheime Aachen and apply for accommodation. It takes anywhere between 6-9 months to get a place at one of the 'wohnheims' which are cheap, safe,fun, clean accommodation, relatively speaking. As this application for a Wohnheim finds its way through the waiting lists, you can then simultaneously start the application process for the actual course!

FH Aachen is your best bet if you have excellent GRE scores but not so great undergraduate grades. Unlike the Automotive course at FH Aachen where only the Quantative score is given weightage, here the Quantative section plays a major role, but additionally the Verbal and Analytical Writing sections get some points too. The procedure is detailed in the document linked below.

Also, do note that B1 is to be provided only during enrollment. So if you're doing your A2 now, do not worry and go ahead with your application and pray things work out in the end.

http://www.fh-aachen.de/en/programmes/me...df&did=413

Since there isn't an English translation available at the website, I've translated the document into English to the best of my abilities. The translation is wayyy better than what Google Translate dishes out, but be warned, there might be errors and you shouldn't really blame me for whatever might happen due to those errors!

http://1drv.ms/1fdrpXM

Here's a basic outline of the admissions procedure with respect to applicants from India. Your profile is evaluated and scored based on the following criteria.

1. Assessment Element - Grades: A maximum of 17 points are awarded based on your Bachelors degree grades, as shown in Table 2 of the document.

Additionally, my understanding is that if there isn't an average percentage/CGPA mentioned in your transcript, the Admissions Committee will calculate a weighted average score based on specific subjects as mentioned in the document above under '§ 5 | Assessment of Eligibility' section and point (2).

Grades that aren't similar to the German Grading System are converted using the Bavarian Formula, this might be a useful tool.

http://io.uni-paderborn.de/en/incoming/f...-transfer/
  2. Assessment Element - GRE: A maximum of 16 points is awarded based on your GRE scores. Maximum of 11.2 points, 3.2 points and 1.6 points are awarded to your Quantative, Verbal and Analytical Writing Percentile Rank respectively. Details in Table 3.
  3. Suitability of First University Degree: To evaluate the relevant of your Bachelors degree, a maximum of six subjects as mentioned in Table 4 are awarded two points each, based on their relevance to the course requirements. So that's another 12 points here.

You are eligible for admission only if you secure at least 30 points out of a total of 45 points.

[Image: Y7lIrek.gif]

This school does not require you to have any German language skills. This essentially means you have more people competing for a place in the course. This, combined with the fact that intake is limited to 20 students makes admission to HS Ravensburg-Weingarten pretty tough. As if that wasn't enough 50% of places are reserved for applicants who have their previous qualification from Germany (source). That limits the available places for International applicants to 10. Of these 10 places 6 are for students who have GRE scores, and 4 for students without GRE scores.

While writing an SOP for Ravensburg Weingarten make sure you check out their research page. Also, there are other links, which give you information about what's happening at the Institute for Applied Research at Hochschule Ravensburg-Weingarten. This link gives you Projects, and this link gives you Publications.

I included certain interesting projects from these links in my SOP and mentioned how I could contribute to them. I believed this would help the committee understand that I have in fact done considerable research on the curriculum and University. Considering I didn't get an admit to this school, I'm not really sure how effective my strategy was. However I blame my reject on my poor undergrad score, so it's upto you!

[Image: iGrZ2fQ.gif]

FH Kaiserslautern would have been my destination if I hadn't secured an admit in FH Aachen. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Albert Meij is a cool dude (gentleman?) who took time out to answer my queries months prior to the application season. A year or two back, the Uni required applicants from India to have 3 years work experience. However, now the Uni has replaced that requirement with that of having at least B1 level German language skills.

The course isn't Mechatronics per se. You may be awarded either a Mechatronics degree or a Mechanical Engineering degree based on the choice of your modules. You have to choose your modules during the time of application and this plays a huge role in your admit. Read the Guideline for Applicants for more information. Modules list here.

There is also a mobility module which lets you study in another university on an exchange program. This is a list of partner Universities. There is also a R&D module, which I hope is self-explanatory. Do note that in the application form you have to provide information reg preferred field of studies, supervisor and company. You have to provide alternative choices for both these modules in case the Examination board does not approve your choice.

Also note that while B1 is compulsory during enrollment, having B2 will let you select the German modules. You can also complete your B2 in when Germany and then select the German modules in the later semesters, but you'll be at an advantage if you grab the German modules early on. Better job opportunities and all that.

[Image: 9CYxZSy.gif]

Considering this University was my last minute find and required LORs I did not bother applying. Do note that this a TU and not FH.

Comprehensive Guide to the Course by yogi1

[Image: cwd7NqX.jpg]

Year after year, the queries are the same regarding this University. "Are there any seniors from Uni of Siegen?", "How are the job opportunities?" and so on. However, Edulix still does not have a member who is enrolled at this Uni so your queries might be left unanswered.

Uni Siegen has a two stage admission process. First you answer a questionnaire and register yourself at the online application site before April 30th. After sometime your application is accepted and they ask you to send certificates. These certificates should reach before May 21st. After a month, results are announced. Have your documents, funds in order because this year applicants who received admits on 20th June still ( as on 29-07-2014) have not received their hard copy of the admit letter. You can appear for the visa interview only when you have the admit letter. Sometimes there are exceptions but its safer to have the admit letter in hand.

My admission procedure timeline

03rd April 2014 Online application complete
23rd April 2014 Request for Certificates
19th May 2014 Application Complete
20th June 2014 Application Rejected

Uni of Siegen again has no German language requirements, so more applicants will be competing for the same number of places. Unless you have excellent UG scores, I wouldn't count on an admit.

Will keep updating this thread as I have more information.

Thanks to nimbus_2000 for the idea of such a thread and thanks to scofield1144 for the color used to display information about document attestation Very Happy

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 11:40 PM by antidive.)
07-29-2014 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
RE: Mechatronics in Germany : List of Universities and Requirements
Great job antidive and scofield1144 !!! ApplauseApplauseApplause
Looks like I am the only one remaining now. Will do it soon. Embarassed

P.S. Prof. Meij is really awesome. One of my classmates got a scholarship for the Mechatronics course there at FH Kaiserslautern when the course has just started and they were looking for good students. In fact, I got the opportunity to talk to him when he visited NIT Calicut. He was there to select students for the scholarship. It was after that talk that I started looking at German univs seriously. FYI, my friend graduated from the course a year back and is working with a company in Bochum. He was all praises for the course. It helps a lot if you can speak good German too because you would be able to take up some German modules too.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 05:18 PM by nimbus_2000.)
07-29-2014 05:09 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

nimbus_2000 Prof. Meij Cool Dude it is then! Oh glad you brought that up about FH Kl! I should add that B2 enables one to select the German modules.

Looking forward to the auto thread nimbus!

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
07-29-2014 05:51 PM
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

nimbus_2000

No issuea bro. You should take your own time, already you are doing a lot to juniors in edulix. After all we are yet to land there and start the course, but you are pursuing your course work.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new-Albert Einstein

All you need to know about studying Masters in Germany | German University specific threads with List of Seniors

Infobank Tutorial

Please avoid PMs. Tag me for replies
07-29-2014 06:06 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3