ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
English Proficiency for PhD in Europe
Hello everyone,

I am currently pursuing Erasmus Mundus Masters PERCCOM in Europe and have finished my first year. I am looking to apply for PhD starting from Fall 2015 in Europe, especially in France, Germany, Sweden etc. The TOEFL score with which I applied for Masters has expired and I want to know do I need to give TOEFL or IELTS again for PhD in EU. My Masters is taught in English completely and it says on the website of our program too.

But, my concern is that whether other EU universities will exempt me for English proficiency or not.

Tagging anuragm pulse billa

Erasmus Mundus PhD researcher(Italy, Spain, Luxembourg)
Past(2013-2015): Erasmus Mundus Master Graduate(France, Finland, Russia, Sweden)

Tag me to get my attention. Evaluating only EU CS profiles. You can also refer me for EU visa queries(have managed 5 visas in last 2 years)
I can give my opinion and suggestions about Profile Evaluations but can't comment on Mod, Ambi and Safe for each university(that's the States, not EU). Cheers

http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=173475
07-27-2014 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
RE: English Proficiency for PhD in Europe
In the EU to apply for a PhD position you don't need TOEFL scores. PhD is not considered as a study program here but more like an employment. So all you need to do is find a place where there is a vacant PhD position available and just send an application with your CV, cover letter, references and your transcripts. It is just like a job application.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
07-28-2014 02:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Thanks for your reply, but I have seen lot of PhD programs demand English proficiency, for example http://emjd-dc.blog.pangea.org/admission-requirements/

You can see they need a English language test or a Masters in English, but for that the candidate should have this information in transcripts...which is a quite strict requirement.

Past(2013-2015): Erasmus Mundus Master Graduate(France, Finland, Russia, Sweden)

Tag me to get my attention. Evaluating only EU CS profiles. You can also refer me for EU visa queries(have managed 5 visas in last 2 years)
I can give my opinion and suggestions about Profile Evaluations but can't comment on Mod, Ambi and Safe for each university(that's the States, not EU). Cheers

07-28-2014 01:34 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Your degree usually mentions the language of instruction and that is a sufficient criterion for the language requirement. For example, take a look at my master degree:

[Image: p9kvaX0.jpg]

Maybe you could ask your program co-ordinator if the same is true in your case?

07-31-2014 02:59 PM
ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Hey anuragm thanks for your reply, yes my coordinator said that it will be mentioned on the degree but, I will graduate next year in June and will get degree after that. But, I have to apply for PhD programs from this year onwards....so how could I convince admission committee of some programs where I apply regarding the English proficiency?..My first semester transcripts are in French.as I had first semester in France.even though the course is taught in English and second semester transcripts are in English, as it was in Finland. But both of these transcripts also don't mention the language of instruction. Sad

07-31-2014 03:28 PM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
Maybe you should then ask your program co-ordinator if they can give you any formal letter or declaration which says that the language of instruction for your program was English. I think that should also more or less work!

As far as PhD requirements go, I think this is specifically for the Erasmus Mundus programs. Some of the PhD vacancies that I have seen for example at places like IMEC Belgium or in some of the Max Planck institutes or even in TU Delft (where I am pursuing my Masters) did not mention any thing about English proficiency tests as their requirement.

I think as long as your degree certificate and transcripts are in English indicating your program was offered in English it should be fine.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
07-31-2014 08:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Oh, my bad. In that case, I would think it would be best to email the admissions office and ask them directly. IMHO, you shouldn't have to retake TOEFL - there could be two ways around it. First would be to try asking them if they will accept a scanned copy of your old TOEFL report. The second way (more practical IMO) would be to ask them to let you submit the language document later (with your master certificates).

07-31-2014 08:46 PM
ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Thanks a lot anuragm and Rogue
really appreciate your inputs

08-01-2014 02:09 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread