Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Demystifying the TH-Ingolstadt International Automotive Engineering Admission Process
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Demystifying the TH-Ingolstadt International Automotive Engineering Admission Process
Well, almost.

I had applied to the International Automotive Engineering program at TH Ingolstadt for the Summer of 2014. The University does not ask for GRE, GATE and mentions that work experience has no consideration in the admit process.

Quote:Selection of applicants is based on the grades. We don't take working experience into consideration.
Since our program is more oriented towards mechatronic in doubts applicants having studied electronical engineering, automotive engineering or mechatronics or applicants who have passed subjects that show a strong and comprehensive background in control engineering and mechatronics are preferred.

Source

No GRE, no GATE, no German language skills required. A minimum TOEFL iBT score of 71 is the only additional requirement. This leaves a lot of candidates wondering about their chances. We've seen seniors are just as apprehensive about providing a PE for this course.

I'm hoping my rejection letter, which was very comprehensive and satisfying, might give others an insight into their chances to this course.

Quote:We received more than 750 applications.

We sorted out applications

- without a signature on the application form
- without any certifications/transcripts
- without any language certification or hint that English has been language of instruction
- with a grade less than 79% GPA-values or CGPA-values are transformed to percentage values

The remaining 92 applications have been ranked and 55 have been selected.

The first and second reason had me stumped. How would someone not sign their application form... and how would one forget to attach the certificates?

Now, when I thought this was it, the University kindly sends out another mass email detailing these points one by one.

Quote:Of course, 99% of the applicants signed their application.
But, a few did not. Since the number of applications exceeds the number of places (20-25)
by far, we use this criteria to sort out some applications.

In general, work experience is not taken into consideration.
The IAE-programme is a consecutive programme. Work experience is not a requirement.
Therefore, we can't reject applications if the applicant does not have work experience.
In a few cases, when there are two applicants of almost equal performance
we give advantage to the applicant with work experience.
However, missing work experience is not used to sort out an application.

Same holds for knowledge if German. It is helpful. It may be an advantage.
But it is not used as a criteria to sort out an application.

The grade is the main criteria.
If the grade is given as CGPA/GPA the grade is transformed
to a percentage value. The formula applied is used by unversities in USA.
In case of CGPA/10 the final grade does not directly correspond to the percentage
value. Instead a slight reduction is done by the translation formula.
Therefore, an applicant with 8.5/10 is not evaluated as 85% but as 80%.
If the grade is given as a percentage value, we asked for additional information:
marks achieved, maximum marks and minimum marks.
We use these data to compute a German grade:
german_grade = 1 + 3*((max-achieved) / (max-min))
If this grade is lower than 2.5 (=68%) your application is rejected since it does
not fulfill the requirement. Otherwise this grade is used to rank the applications.
For the summer term, a grade better than 1.9 (or 79% if German grade cannot be determined)
has been necessary.

We selected 55 applicants. There is no waiting list. We assume that about 25 will
register.

Most important things to take away from the last email
  • TH-Ingolstadt IAE intake is 25 students or less.
  • Your 8.5 CGPA will be converted to around 80% and then this data is converted to the German grading system using the Bavarian formula german_grade = 1 + 3*((max-achieved) / (max-min)) . Use this calculator from Uni Paderborn .
  • The examples of grade 2.5=68% and 1.9=79% are arrived at based on the assumption that minimum percentage is 36%. If your minimum possible percentage is 50% then the conversions change accordingly. Grade 2.5=75% and Grade 1.9=85%
  • Around 750 students competed for 25 places ( in SS 2014)
  • Your work experience has no power here until the final boss battle. When you have to battle it out with somebody who has equally good credentials..
  • Your German language skills have no power here
  • Mechanical Engineering students are at a disadvantage compared to electronics, automotive engineering, mechatronics and computer science students.

Hope that helps, any queries please put them forth, I'm sure with seniors help, we might be able to figure out answers.

PS: Rejection mails aren't something one generally flaunts. So if you're in the mood for some personal 'attacks', please take your valuable contribution elsewhere.

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
08-08-2014 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
RE: Demystifying the TH-Ingolstadt International Automotive Engineering Admission Process
antidive

Very detailed and thanks for demystifying the process. ApplauseApplauseApplause
They say that UG grades are the only criteria but some people with >9 GPAs have gotten admits while some with GPAs in 8 region have gotten admits.

I read this on a Facebook post last year :
Quote:Extra and co-curricular activities play no role at all.
Ma'm....then, is Bachelor's aggregate the sole criteria for admission????
Yes, absolutely

08-08-2014 03:36 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

RE: Demystifying the TH-Ingolstadt International Automotive Engineering Admission Process
nimbus_2000

Thank you for the applause Wink

I understand you meant to say >9 GPAs haven't got admits while 8 ones have. So I'm guessing here the next major factor comes into play, course content suitability. We should get all applicants to register on Edulix so we can make a thorough analysis!

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
08-08-2014 07:24 PM
sss30 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sss30 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

does any applicant with a gate score has any advantage in the selection process for the German universities ?
08-08-2014 08:40 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

sss30

AFAIK, in TU Munich (Power Engineering and COME) and RWTH Aachen (Auto).

08-08-2014 08:44 PM
shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Actually in TUM they consider GATE for many programs. If you are targeting TUM then Gate or GRE is a must.

PS: Some courses are specific about GATE though(need gate only). Be careful about that.

INFOBANK || My VI || INFOBANK Tutorial
Fall 2014: RWTH MI | Ploimi CS |TU Munich- Informatics(Dest) |FH Frankfurt-HIS | TUD DSS | RWTH SSE

Inactive on edulix. Please tag other seniors.
08-09-2014 12:02 AM
sss30 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sss30 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

is it difficult for fresher to get good German university without work experience ?
08-09-2014 09:52 AM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

sss30

Two things:
1. Fill in your TOEFL/IELTS and GRE scores in your Infobank.
2. Stop posting queries here. Create your own PE thread like I have already asked you here.

08-09-2014 06:06 PM
radhakrishna_ou Offline
New Edulixian

radhakrishna_ou Offline
New Edulixian

I got an admit in Ingolstadt. Is there anyone else here so that we can contact each other?

08-09-2014 11:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

radhakrishna_ou Hello Radhakrishna. At the moment I'm unaware of any other Edulix members who have an admit to Ingolstadt for this term. prashant_anavekar and killer1412 seem to be the only seniors who went to study at Ingolstadt but they haven't been active on Edulix for a long time now.

08-10-2014 12:31 AM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

radhakrishna_ou

pavan_paga is studying at TH Ingolstadt. Try contacting him.

Also gopibme32 got an admit for this intake.

Can you please update your Infobank too with the admit.

08-10-2014 07:18 AM
sabrinkhan Offline
New Edulixian

sabrinkhan Offline
New Edulixian

Hi All,

I have got Admit from FAU(Computational Engg, Mechatronics TAF) and TH Ingolstadt(IAE). I am in a dilemma as to which course i should pursue. I would appreciate if the seniors and my fellow edulixians could help in reaching a decision based on the job prospects, university reputation and other factors. Any pointers are welcome.

P.S: I solely intend to work after completing master's, not into research or further studies.
08-10-2014 07:59 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

sabrinkhan Which course interests you best? I'm sure you already understand these courses are really quite different from one another, so do you have a preference?

08-10-2014 10:47 PM
rahul352 Offline
Edulix Active Member

rahul352 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Hi antidive
I am from MEchanical background
I have studied Mechatronics as a subject in my Final Semester ,had a Mechatronics lab too in the curriculum....I got A (highest)grade both in theory and lab...I also had a subject on Electrical Machines and Control in which I studied Linear Control system(not non linear).....
Could I hope for some positives for IAE, after having studied these subjects.....

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 06:56 PM by rahul352.)
08-11-2014 12:37 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

rahul352

We have no idea about what exactly the admission committee at THI are looking for when they say the prefer candidates that show 'strong and comprehensive background in control engineering and mechatronics'. I do not have the expertise to advise whether the courses you've mentioned might fulfill their criteria. You have a good CGPA, so hope for the best and give it a shot. Have you applied already?

sabrinkhan and radhakrishna_ou have recent admits to the course with similar profile, they might be able to help you better.

Quote:Since our program is more oriented towards mechatronic in doubts applicants having studied electronical engineering, automotive engineering or mechatronics or applicants who have passed subjects that show a strong and comprehensive background in control engineering and mechatronics are preferred.

08-11-2014 07:04 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread