difficulty level of master of science programs (germany)compared to india
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
Unisearch: Link
RE: difficulty level of master of science programs (germany)compared to india
I suppose in TU Delft things work a little differently since some courses which are assigned 3 ECTS should actually be worth 6 or 9 ECTS to be honest. Anyhow, some 3 ECTS courses which need a lot of exercises, comprise of 4 lecture hours which means 3 hours of teaching (1 lecture hour = 45 minutes) and another 4 lecture hours (3 hours) for tutorial sessions.
Some 3 ECTS courses had only 3 hours of teaching and no exercise hours.
Lab oriented courses usually had 3 hours of teaching in a week and 6 hours (8 lecture hours) of practical work.

So in all in 1 quarter (10 weeks) we had to finish 15 ECTS which meant spending roughly 18 hours/week in the university.

I hope that makes things a lot clearer.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
08-17-2015 06:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
pranav65 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

pranav65 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
At RWTH, people generally have 5-7 courses per semester, which is 15-21 hours of lectures per week. If you divide it by number of days, it gives 3-4 hours of lectures everyday on an average. Sometimes you have 6-8 hours in a day, and sometimes a day might be totally free, depends on the schedule.

08-17-2015 08:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 7
US universities have less lectures in week from what i have heard
9 credits per semester means 9 hours per week and 3 courses per semester...that too without thesis option..if we take thesis option then lecture hours become less than this...it is like doing b.sc in india
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=80361

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Important thread for all new users
Search on EDOOGLE

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015 05:46 PM by masterspassion.)
09-18-2015 12:32 AM
cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 2
masterspassion What's the point in comparison when every university has different system? Getting more lecture free hours per week ? Razz Smile

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
VI Experience | Computer Science Course Page Link | Infobank Tutorial
Please tag in posts for answers.
09-18-2015 02:01 AM
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

yes...obviously getting more free hours means more time to study and do part time work which will help in academics and also to manage finances

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Search on EDOOGLE

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015 03:11 PM by masterspassion.)
09-18-2015 03:09 PM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
Most of the study should happen during lecture hours if you are attentive enough. And let's face it, we humans are superb at procrastinating. Trust me even if you have more lecture free hours, you won't be studying till the last minute before the exam. So, what is the point. It's better to attend classes and do most of your study there rather than procrastinating during the free hours and studying in the last moment. Anyhow, each university has a different system, so it's difficult to compare.

There is however, one important thing. You have paid money to study, so instead of really trying to find time to do part time jobs, your main priority should be to study and get good grades so that you can secure your position in a good career. It is not as important to be able to independently manage your finances during your study period as much as it is important to pay off the huge educational loan that you take after your graduation. If I were you I would bother about studying to get good grades and a good career after that so that I can pay off my loan once I have a well paying job instead of trying to go for part time jobs and screwing my academics.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
09-21-2015 09:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

I read this thread here: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topi...es/?page=1

'I was actually quite happy to see that someone was discussing the topic of education in Germany. I have been here for a year already, actually a lil bit more. I do have an MBA from a US university and thought of diversifying a lil bit so i got enrolled in a germany Fachhochschule as they like to call it in Berlin, FHTW if you heard of it. I cannot express enough disgust and disrespect for the german system of education. it is by far the most poorly organized, chaotic, retarded, extremely old fashioned educational system I have ever seen.
Germans are SOOOOO far behind in things that it is ridiculous. let me start with the facilities of the university. No, pools, computer labs and normal lounge areas do NOT exist here (at least in my university they dont)...Dinning halls...hmmm yeah, just a simple cafeteria with brötchen, thats it!!!
computers are nowhere to be found except for the Rechnungzentrum. so computer labs are not available just like the study rooms. in order to work on group projects you either have to go to a cafe or to someones place. so the facilities are VERYYYYYYY poor. and of course the gym is just a joke, built in a garage or whatever that place is.

now, let me tell you about the education itself. costs-wise its of course great, its free. but thats what you get for a free thing---- a piece of s...t! I am doing an 18 month program, the style of teaching here is VERY different. I am doing a Masters of International Business. as someone mentioned above, germans have no clue what an MBA is.
teacher is very poor here. teachers (who by the way most of the time speak bad english, unless they are British or Americans), do not take the time to explain anything. Exams are only essay, there are NO multiple choice here. they consider it stupid...

there is no flexibility also, the schedule is made for you and you have to follow it. we even had classes on saturdays and sundays...with such a schedule nobody will ever wanna employ you. I also find the amount of time we spend in class is ridiculously long. a class doesnt last 50 mins (3 times a week) or 1.15 (twice a week) like we are used to, but they last 4 hours. and normally you have 2 of those per day. so 8 hours of BS per day and then you go home and start working on your papers, group projects etc.

the thing that ticked me off the most is that there is NO preparation time here before the exams. in fact you have final (all comprehensive and always only comprehensive exams) at the same time with normal other classes, so you can easily have a presentation in one class and straight after that an exam...

what else...oh yeah, teachers here take the attendance!!! oh come on! we are all grown ups, a lot of us have kids etc...dont treat us like kids! thats very irritating. if you miss a class, they make sure to publicly tell you how bad of a bad girl/boy you were for not coming to class...

the study materials are hard to find, have to order from amazon. the amount of english books is limited in germany. libraries follow the most ridiculous system i have ever seen.

by the way, an average german uni, does NOT have online classes, thats luxury in germany...

also classes are very disappointing. i am doing this second masters just for the heck of it, but in a semester i have not learned anything new. NADAAAAA...

so my recommendations are simple - do NOT waste your time on this shitty german education. it will not take you anywhere. not to mention that working in germany is another 'fun part' that you dont want to get yourself involved in. this masters is not worth it really. Free stuff is free stuff and the quality is veryyyyy poor.

btw, i am not the only one who has the same impression about german educational system...hopefully others had better experiences than i do...'

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Search on EDOOGLE

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 02:52 PM by masterspassion.)
09-21-2015 10:55 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
masterspassion, This is not your personal evaluation thread. Post in this thread only if you have any specific questions related to the programs in Europe. From your unisearch profile, it appears that you have applied to ~40 programs. No wonder you are confused!

Regarding this post on toytowngermany you have mentioned, I do not feel the need to refute it point by point (maybe others would want to). The poster comes off as rather haughty and ill-informed. Elsewhere in the same thread, he/she mentions:

Quote:I have not seen/met one ausländer from an english speaking country who said a positive thing about local education

I would expect someone who is pursuing a second masters and is from an "English-speaking country" to have, well, better English. Anyway, this person talks about a completely different field and I don't know enough about the said program in HTW Berlin. More relevant information about your field can be found on Edulix if you search a little. Please do not turn this thread into another US vs EU debate.

09-22-2015 02:43 PM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

That is very strange. My experience has been completely opposite. It is my opinion that the above post was a very broad, harsh and unfair generalisation. I do realise that some Universities and Fachhochschulen are less endowed, and the person's rant above may reflect that a bit. However, it is by no means a reflection of all the German universities, not least the German 'system' altogether.

It is probably different in different cities/regions. In Karlsruhe, for example, the sports facilities are integrated for both the main university and the Hochschulen in the city. So, although the various Hochschulen have no sports facilities of their own, they can freely use the university facilities, which are, by the way, excellent and highly highly subsidised.

Similar is the Studierendenwerk, which is common for all the universities and Hochschulen in the region. University housing and Canteens are common for everyone, and are pretty decent and worth their price. You cannot get a Masala Dosa there, but it is eatable.

Computers are there only in the Rechnungszentrum and the library. I really don't understand why they are needed anywhere else.

All my professors speak excellent English, even those who haven't studied in the US or UK.

Coming to the schedule, my experience is rather different. I do not have an overpacked schedule; true, some lectures were 4 hour long marathons, and many were quite boring. However, just like any university, there are good professors and bad professors. I have seen many awesome professors in my university.

The exam system is probably varied. I am not a big fan of the system followed in my university, but do tell me, when have we, as students, ever been big fans of any exam system? I have no internals/midterms here, and I frequently complain about the lack of them. However in India, I had internals all the time, and I was complaining back then as well. So my advice would be to live with it, just like everything else out of your control.

Taking attendance for everyday lectures is, I agree, ridiculous. My university does not take attendance. In fact, there have been courses where I haven't attended even one lecture but still took the exam. No one cares.

Online classes? I don't understand why that is so important or why it should be a marker of being a good university.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 02:50 PM by spiketospica.)
09-22-2015 02:48 PM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

(09-22-2015 02:43 PM)anuragm Wrote:  
Quote:I have not seen/met one ausländer from an english speaking country who said a positive thing about local education
I don't see why the validation of the German 'system' from an Ausländer from an English speaking country is even necessary.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 02:55 PM by spiketospica.)
09-22-2015 02:55 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Now that spiketospica has written a detailed point-by-point rebuttal of the rant (which I mostly agree with), I have one more thing to add. It relates to the point of lecturers/professors having "poor English". I have been taught by certain professors who could be described in such a fashion. Most of the times, it is a simple case of having a thick accent and/or usage of uncommon vocabulary - both of which take a little getting used to and are certainly not major handicaps. The person is teaching you science and not literature. I tend to think of people complaining about this "drawback" as rather elitist. Such people seem to have a rigid idea in their heads as to how "proper English" should sound like and any form of the language that does not fulfil this criteria is termed "poor English". This, to me, seems a very condescending and skewed way of thinking. Having good language skills alone (English, in this case) do not automatically make you a good scientist/researcher/teacher.

(09-22-2015 02:55 PM)spiketospica Wrote:  I don't see why the validation of the German 'system' from an Ausländer from an English speaking country is even necessary.

Well, as I understand, it is another euphemism for validation from a "first-world" country. The implication was that perhaps "these German universities" are good enough for people from China/India/Iran/Kenya, but they do not compare with the ones in USA.

09-22-2015 05:54 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread