A few queries regarding applying to German universities
WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
Unisearch: Link
A few queries regarding applying to German universities
I am planning on applying to German universities for the winter 2015 intake. I am from an electrical engineering background, did my B.E. from an Anna University affiliated college.
I haven't written GRE or TOEFL yet, and my CGPA is 7.89. I will have two years of work experience in a non-related field(in Cognizant) by the end of 2015.
I have a few doubts about the entire scenario which I could hopefully get clarified here:

1. I read through the threads mentioned here:
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=156604

I need to know, how relevant are the threads regarding job opportunities after an MS? It's been a few years since most of those threads were created, is the situation different now? How easy or tough would it be to get a job after MS?

2. I decided on applying a bit late, literally in the past two weeks, so I still haven't written GRE or TOEFL yet. I am planning to write them by the last week of January. Checking out the university websites, a lot of them have their application end date as 31st March, some as late as May, I believe that would allow me plenty of time to send in my application. However, do German universities have rolling admissions, where you have a lesser chance of getting an admit the later you apply?

3. I am planning to apply for courses with CS related fields like artificial intelligence, machine learning, as well some fields that are a bit more related to electrical engineering like mechatronics, automation, robotics. However, consider for example this course:
http://www.in.tum.de/en/for-prospective-...atics.html
Would I even be considered as an electrical engineering graduate? I was told US universities are a bit lenient regarding jumps of this sort, but what about German universities?

4. Is it feasible to learn German well enough between now and the winter 2015 admissions to attend courses in German? Take for example this course:
http://www.in.tum.de/en/for-prospective-...gence.html
This pretty much seems like my dream course at the moment, though I don't know if I stand much of a chance of getting an admit for it. Would it be possible to build up the proficiency required for similar courses if I am really dedicated to it for the next year?
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2014 08:43 AM by WiseyPS.)
12-22-2014 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: A few queries regarding applying to German universities
Tagging seniors:
shivguru.rao, qzwxec

Apologies, I know this isn't a profile evaluation, but could you please give me an idea regarding points 3 and 4, since the examples refer to TUM Informatics, so that I could generalise it to other unis?
12-23-2014 08:45 AM
shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
WiseyPS Please fill the INFO Bank before asking any further questions.

1. Job scenario for CS is fine in bigger cities. Specially in Munich, given that you have good skills and German knowledge. Yes those threads relating to Job scenario holds good except that there is no need for you to show that there is no other European candidate for the job you are applying for.

2. Its fine if you give your GRE and TOEFL in Jan, infact i gave it at the end of Feb.

3. How the selection process works is that they will look for the courses from your previous Degree which matches the the Requirements crieteria of the Masters program you are applying to. For instance TUM Informatics requires you to have at least 120 ECTS(or equivalent ) related to core CS in your Bachelor's. So clarify that before you apply.

4. It is possible if you need to show the Language requirement certificate before you Enroll at the university. Its not if you have to send the language certificates along with your application packets, coz you hardly have 2 to 3 months to cover GRE,TOEFL/IELTS and German also.

INFOBANK || My VI || INFOBANK Tutorial
Fall 2014: RWTH MI | Ploimi CS |TU Munich- Informatics(Dest) |FH Frankfurt-HIS | TUD DSS | RWTH SSE

Inactive on edulix. Please tag other seniors.
12-23-2014 04:40 PM
WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

WiseyPS Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thank you! Filled the infobank.
12-24-2014 06:28 AM