A warning to those who choose TU Delft
vishnus88 Offline
Finance/VISA Master Geek '12

vishnus88 Offline
Finance/VISA Master Geek '12

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: A warning to those who choose TU Delft
Just went through the discussion and the debate that followed on! Here are my views being a graduate of Delft Aero.

1) First of all, Delft courses are hard (atleast in Aero). It was natural to have failed a course in the first attempt and then re-take the exam, where you can secure a higher grade. I failed two courses in the first attempt and had to retake it. Meanwhile let me also add that I received a cum-laude when I graduated (not to brag about, but to point out that you could improve your grade by retaking the exam!)

2) In Aero dept, thesis is the key! Practically you're done, when your supervisor says you are!! I took 9 months to finish my thesis and defended my thesis (and graduated) four days prior to completion of 24 months.

--- There are few Indians in Aero that I know who had to extend their education for more than 24 months due to thesis dilemma. One is still pursuing his thesis as I write this and pay this additional 1150 EURO every month. So my advice would be to find a thesis topic and start working on it very early. You could be done away with the literature survey and get acquainted with algorithm/script/numerical code before you put the foot on pedal. I totally understand this frustration when you cannot finish in two years. My friend went in to depression and flew back to India. Now he's back, resumed his thesis and he's doing really well. I also shifted my thesis topic and supervisors thrice before settling on my topic. This is why I say, start early!!

3) The master courses have enabled me to be on a competitive edge when I started my phd. So the way how profs evaluate in Delft has a long term impact IMO.

Finally, I cannot comment on the job market as I didn't stay in NL and I strongly disagree to the point that Dutch are racists. I had the privilege to work with many Dutch guys who have become good friends of mine.

I wish you very best and may the almighty give you force to finish your thesis. Good luck man!

Happy to help with VI, financial preparations, queries specific to Aerospace Engg, Wind Energy at Tu Delft & Technical University of Denmark.
08-26-2015 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
edumix Offline
Edulix Frequent User

edumix Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Nicely written vishnus88. I also happen to know some very prominent Indians in the university who has his thesis got delayed and is in troubled situation. I wish atleast in such cases the university reduced the tuition fee for the remaining months. But this happens very rarely (hardship clause). I believe this is exceptionally unfair towards the non european students. One more point I should add is that its very rare to find someone who has finished his course in less than two years. Whereas this is quite common in US universities. There was no one to tell me all this ground realities when I came in. I am posting these threads only to make sure that whoever comes next should see both sides of the wall.
08-29-2015 02:13 AM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
People don't tell unless you ask.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
09-01-2015 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
edumix Offline
Edulix Frequent User

edumix Offline
Edulix Frequent User

And you are clearly not showing this part of the picture to the new recruits
09-18-2015 05:40 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread