Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), OR/SCM program
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
Unisearch: Link
Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), OR/SCM program
This thread is being opened to give applicants information about the Operations Research/SCM program at Case Western Reserve University, and for applicants to ask their questions. A senior from this program, KRISH1180 has graciously agreed to help out students who have queries concerning this program or the university. KRISH1180, all yours, take it away!

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-04-2015 12:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
KRISH1180 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

KRISH1180 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 1
RE: Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), OR/SCM program
Thanks for creating the thread, The_Observer. Its a pleasure to be back and to be honest, I owe a lot to Edulix.

I am one of the senior students studying MSM Operations Research/Supply Chain Management program at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). I am open to questions regarding the program, professors, on-campus jobs, internships, placements and life in Cleveland, Ohio.

PROGRAM INFO:
Please find the details about the program at
https://weatherhead.case.edu/degrees/mas...ply-chain/

FACULTY INFO:
The program is run by highly experienced faculty members. Some of them have been teaching since 1978 and have numerous research papers to their credit. The faculty profiles can be found at:
https://weatherhead.case.edu/degrees/mas...in/faculty

With a small class size, the professors and the program director know the students in and out. CWRU-WSOM professors are really helpful and kind to even guide students in their preparations for a PHD program. Even though the school doesn't have a PHD program, they ensure the students interested in pursuing a PHD program are ready for it.

Our program director not only recruits domestic students but also assist students in their career aspirations. Apart from the program, he is the sole reason why many of us have internships and full time jobs. To be honest, networking is the KEY to landing a job in the U.S. (no matter how many companies one applies online) and we are on the verge of conducting a one of a kind networking event sponsored by Alumni, the program and the Operations club, which is run by students of my class.

CURRICULUM:
Please find all the information about the curriculum in the website mentioned above. In addition to this, if a student is interested in taking a different career path, he/she can get the permission of the professor to drop a subject and select a course of his/her choice within the university subject to availability. For example, the school has other specialized programs like MSM-Business Analytics (to be launched in 2016), MSM-Finance, MSM-Healthcare and Master of Accountancy. He/she can drop a class (with the permission of the professor) and opt for a course in Business Analytics.

SCHOLARSHIPS
There are plenty of scholarships available and deserving candidates get scholarships between 20% - 50%. One of the Indians in this year's batch has secured 50% scholarship and the Indians in my batch got between 20%-30%. Scholarships are based on your GRE/GMAT scores and overall profile.

On-Campus Jobs:
Case Western Reserve university is a private university with few international students, so there are plenty of on-campus jobs available. Some of them are in hospitals, medical school, dental school, Library, Management school. The minimum pay is $9.25/hour and can go up to $14.00/hour. On few occasions with the knowledge of IT(Microsoft SQL, Access, Adobe Photoshop, HTML, Java), the pay can be as high as $16.50/hour. That being said, there won't be enough time to work, as the program is really hectic and the professors would advise the same, at least for the first semester.

PLACEMENT INFO:
Some of the recent graduates are working in companies like Cummins, Philips Healthcare, IKEA, Saint Gobain, Paypal, Google, Apple, Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems, H Mart, Deloitte Consulting, Dealer Tire, Avery Dennison, Hyundai Motor Group, Unilever, Cleveland Clinic, Niagara Bottling, Sandoz (a Novartis company), Philips(different from Philips Healthcare), ABB , Olympic Steel, National Threaded Fasteners, Kinetico Incorporated, Cardinal Health, Penske Logistics, Airgas etc...

The above list comprises of companies where International students are working.

One of the domestic students from my batch got internship at Nestle but rejected the offer to work in Acturial science and Statistics. The other was about to get an offer from Rolls Royce but opted to stay local and begin work in January with Moen.

Some of the domestic students work at:
Moen
Progressive Insurance
MTD Products
Momentive
American Greetings
Federal Reserve Bank
Rockwell International
Parker Hannifin
Niagara Bottling
Cleveland Clinic
Key Bank
[The above list is not complete and will be edited after I get the correct information from my program director]

The companies where my classmates interned in US are:
Cleveland Clinic
Schaeffler group of USA
Aleris
Progressive Insurance
Penske Logistics
Moen
Kinetico Incorporated
Metro Health
CardinalCommerce
EDGE Consulting
CBIZ (Acturial Science)

There is an article about the year long internship at Cleveland Clinic in the following link:
https://weatherhead.case.edu/news/2015/0...ip-program

Some of the students in the past 2 years worked as an intern for Explorys, a healthcare analytics firm, which was recently acquired by IBM. The article for the same can be found below:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/2...its-health

The school has tie ups with Explorys, as its closely linked to Cleveland Clinic. So students interested in healthcare analytics can look at these opportunities in Cleveland, which is a healthcare hub of U.S.

Some of them continue to work in the organizations they interned at on CPT in their third semester.

The companies where my classmates interned in China are:
Dow Chemicals
Seimens
Meritco Services (Consulting Industry)
[List to be updated]

Domestic students from the 2015-2016 batch are already working in year long internships as Procurement intern at Lubrizol and Risk Management intern at Key Bank, which heavily depends on R programming,SAS and Statistics.

Note: One of the Indians from the MBA program, who was interning at Amazon in Operations & Transportation domain managed to convert it into Full Time. We did not keep our eyes open for the Amazon opportunity, else one of us would have at least interned at Amazon.

EXTRAS
The program has a tie up with Cleveland Clinic[4th best hospital in the U.S.] for a year long internship program and the details can be found on the website. Students usually work in Continuous improvement(Lean Healthcare, the buzzword in the market) and we are working hard to expand to the Supply Chain Department(nothing is confirmed though) of the clinic as well.

The professors at WSOM-CWRU do not just believe in teaching the theoretical concepts, but believe in showing the students how things practically happen in the real world of business and connect them with the concepts taught in class. For example: We were taken to a major lubricant plant to explain the problems of Inventory, ERP, Importance of Lean etc and solutions to their problems(this part was discussed in class and not in front of the clientSmile)

The school will be conducting a 3-4 week long SAP workshop for the very first time, where the main focus would be on SAP MM module. Students will be exposed to most of the transactions in SAP MM. I will keep the students posted about any future events.

MY STORY:
I have almost used all the lean concepts taught by an experienced consultant as part of the Lean Manufacturing course, during my internship. Apart from the things I learnt in the program so far, I found VBA (Visual Basic Applications, Macros in Excel) to be extremely useful. I was able to impress my boss with my Data Analysis and automation skills. My internship also exposed me to Tableau, Minitab and crystal reports. Even though I was part of the business team, my work experience enabled me to interact with the IT team for creating customized SQL queries to get accurate data and setting up tables for future use. Overall, it has been a really good experience in a foreign land. The program requires students to work for companies to get a Six Sigma Green Belt certification and I will be working with a major vacuum cleaner company to optimize their warehouse operations.

** All the information mentioned above is 100% true to my knowledge and can be easily verified by digging a little on Linkedin and the college website.

I am open to any sort of questions from future students. I may not be able to reply quickly owing to my schedule and my job search.

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 04:55 AM by KRISH1180.)
09-04-2015 07:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
soorajkalyan93 Offline
New Edulixian

soorajkalyan93 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Hi KRISH1180,

I have PM'ed you. Can you please look into it?

Thanks,
Sooraj
10-21-2015 01:08 AM
ym140393 Offline
New Edulixian

ym140393 Offline
New Edulixian

Has anyone received an admit for Fall 2016?
02-03-2016 12:47 AM
KRISH1180 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

KRISH1180 Offline
Edulix Super Senior

(02-03-2016 12:47 AM)ym140393 Wrote:  Has anyone received an admit for Fall 2016?

Hi Yash,

Krish here. Regarding your question, 18 Indians were considered so far (ROUND 2), 7 admitted and there are 2 more rounds (Round 3 and Rolling round) to go. This is an official confirmation from the Admissions team. I have asked them to contact you and the other Indian students and possibly connect with each other.

03-25-2016 12:08 AM
WSOMORSC@CWRU Offline
New Edulixian

WSOMORSC@CWRU Offline
New Edulixian

Hello Everyone, We are current students of Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University. Our Program is Operations Research & Supply Chain Management (in short, ORSC). ORSC is a STEM accredited program, which allows an OPT extension up to 24 months. This means you may be eligible for up to three years of work in the United States without a work visa. Visit the U.S. government's website for more information on https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/stem-opt-hub

This article is a brief introduction including: course related issues, living arrangements, on-campus and off-campus jobs and other program related FAQs. We hope this article will be helpful for any related issue and question pertaining to our school, program, life and so on. We also welcome students to send us private emails that contain program specific queries. We hope to provide all the information you need for making your journey at Case Western Reserve University as smooth as possible.Very HappySmile

The official website of our program is
https://weatherhead.case.edu/degrees/mas...ply-chain/
All the most official and updated information is on the official website.

1. On campus jobs.

TA: Teaching Assistant (Grader)
Work for professors, take classes or correct answer papers and earn a minimum of $10/hr (Max. work limit is 20 hours/week). If you have the interest to teach some of the software skills you possess to your classmates and juniors, we welcome you to do so (with the permission of the professors; after reviewing the content and the slides)

GA: Graduate Assistant
Work with the admissions office to help future students. Assist admissions administrators and faculty with planning and carrying out events, including marketing promotion projects, collaboration projects with overseas higher education institutions and other assigned special events.

Others: You can also find on campus jobs at the library, gym, dental, medical, law and business schools. CWRU has very few Indians, which makes life easier to find on-campus jobs.

2. Admission statistics:

In the term beginning Fall 2015, 278 applications were submitted. Of that number, we admitted 115 into the program; 57 of those admitted students fully matriculated. For the Fall 2016 start of term, we currently have 241 submitted applications. We have extended an offer to 101 students and so far 19 have committed to the program. At the time these numbers were pulled, the deadline for the second round of deposits had not passed and the interviews for round 3 had not started. We are looking for 50 students to fill the class this coming year.

3. Scholarship information

Our school offers merit-based scholarships. Important factors that are considered are GPA, test scores, pre-requisite grades, essay content, recommendation letter content, and interview. Ranges of scholarship can vary between 10% to 50%. In 2015, the average admitted student received 16% scholarship. So far for this coming 2016 year, the average scholarship given out has been nearly 21%.

4. Class profile

the situation is as the following link for the screen shoot from the official site:(if the link cannot open for the first try, please right click then choose 'open link in new tab')

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/3196/BdGJ9n.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1410/Ds0tC6.jpg

5. Education and curriculum at Weatherhead:

ORSC program at Weatherhead is an enriching academic experience that has the potential to offer exposure to operational aspects involved in manufacturing process coupled with entire supply chain ranging from sourcing to shipping and marketing to end users. It also, involves industry simulations that provide real exposure in an industry/ business setting. The course involves getting students to visualize manufacturing process by taking them to industrial visits. After the field study, most of the students can get a Six sigma green belt certification. The requirement for the belt is that you should get A or B in Six Sigma class and meet certain GPA requirements in specific courses. All ORSC students have a chance to get the belt; but not everyone will get it.

You will take this course together with students from the MEM and MBA programs. In addition to this, ORSC also has a operations club that actively conducts speaker sessions, guest lectures, networking events (aimed at connecting with industry people for job opportunities) and operations quizzes/games. It can also involve unpaid projects for non-profit organizations.

From Professor Alireza Kabirian
“The students in this course should complete a real industry project. Every summer, I contact a lot of companies in Northeast Ohio to call for projects related in continuous improvement. Attached is the Call for Project from last year. We obtained 44 projects last year from about 35 companies. The students of MEM, MBA, or ORSC who meet some GPA requirement and get A or B in Six Sigma will get a Green Belt Certification.”

SAP workshop:
"Each spring semester we offer a three-week SAP workshop outside of class time for our students interested in learning more about the enterprise resource planning software."

https://weatherhead.case.edu/degrees/mas...curriculum

Each year, ORSC program conducts several seminars to give the students an insight of the industry. The purpose of this talk is to give our MSM students an understanding of what it is like to apply Operations Research and Supply Chain Management in the real world and how doing so is different from what you are learning in your classes. What is more, we have plant tours related to our courses. This year we will go to Swagelok Corp at their Solon Manufacturing facility. This activity will help us see in action many of the methodologies and concepts learned about in coursework.

6. Tuition and living expense.

the situation is as the following link for the screen shoot from the official site:

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/4052/JJgRKC.jpg

*Tuition and other fees are subject to change. Living and other expenses are approximate and will be different for each person.

7. Full time positions

Matthew Maloney, the director of the ORSC program is in charge of creating job opportunities for current and former students. “Yes, we stay connected with the students who graduate. We remember and want to help you succeed in life.”

Develop experiential learning opportunities for ORSC students including internships and corporate projects that foster a mutually beneficial experience for our students and corporate partners. Work with our ORSC alumni to provide our students with a resource to gain insight into the program, internship programs and post graduate work.

The latest information of fall ‘15 graduates employment situation

From Matthew Maloney:
“As far as this year's numbers go, at this point we are 4-5 jobs ahead of where we were last year. Organizations who have hired from our program include Cardinal Health, Progressive Insurance, Goodyear (2 students), Cleveland Clinic (2 students), JoAnn Fabrics, MTD Products, Niagara Bottling, Stanley-Black & Decker just to name a few. We have two students working in LA (few others I am told moved there and are looking for work but are not in contact with me) 3 in Columbus and the majority in the Cleveland/Akron area so far. The U.S. Government has held up the process of students finding jobs because of the fact that they are 30-40 days behind with issuing EAD cards.

“As we have every year, there is a sizable portion of our class that moves back home to pursue job opportunities and the two I've heard from have landed jobs in China with top firms Accenture and IBM. So that speaks loudly to how well our students are doing at home. Another had to move home to fulfill a military obligation and others because they had no intention of staying. So at this point it is premature to be able to give you percentages of the whole that are working. In numbers we have about 24 and a few that have outstanding offers that are contingent on them receiving their EAD cards or having the Immigration Council approve specifics to the job offer.”

the situation is as the following link for the screen shoot from the official site:
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/1559/PaDHKL.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5093/SPdWcs.jpg

8. Life in Cleveland

Rock ‘N Roll Hall of Fame
CWRU Farm
Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall
Cleveland Museum of Art
Great Lakes Science Center
Horseshoe Casino (‘our own little Las Vegas’)
Major Leagues teams include the CAVS with Lebron James (NBA), the Indians (MBL), and the Browns (NFL)
Playhouse Square - second largest theater district in the nation (CWRU provides tickets to plays, games etc. at discounted rates as well)
Festivals like “Italian Festival” in little Italy in August and “Beer Festival” downtown
Metroparks, National Park
Lake Erie, beautiful lakeside park
Cedar Point - the best roller coasters in the world!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland

If you want to look for apartment or house to rent in advance. You can go to the following website.
http://www.forrent.com
http://www.apartments.com

9. Safety on campus

The campus of Case Western Reserve University is in a well-protected and well-lit neighborhood of Cleveland. There are six separate police and security departments protecting and patrolling campus. In addition to the security and call boxes on campus, the school is patrolled by the CWRU Police, the University Circle Police, the University Hospital Police, the Cleveland Clinic Police, and the Cleveland Police. The Weatherhead School of Management has security at the front desk every hour the building is open. Also, there are two major, highly-respectable hospitals within walking distance, University Hospital and the Cleveland Clinic.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 08:44 AM by WSOMORSC@CWRU.)
04-08-2016 07:43 AM
prathmesh_46 Offline
New Edulixian

prathmesh_46 Offline
New Edulixian

Hello everyone,

I got admit for MSM OR-SCM program at weatherhead for Fall'17.

Anyone who is current graduate or alumni who can help me out with my queries?

Very Happy
01-15-2017 08:16 PM
saralj1234 Offline
New Edulixian

saralj1234 Offline
New Edulixian

(01-15-2017 08:16 PM)prathmesh_46 Wrote:  Hello everyone,

I got admit for MSM OR-SCM program at weatherhead for Fall'17.

Anyone who is current graduate or alumni who can help me out with my queries?

Very Happy

Hi prathmesh, I am a current grad here, in the business analytics program. How can I help you out?
02-12-2017 05:53 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread