A query on safety and integration in Germany
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 7
Unisearch: Link
A query on safety and integration in Germany
I have heard that immigrants are not that integrated in German society compared to USA or UK.Even the chancellor of Germany admits it (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oc...ism-failed)
So assuming that students will study and continue to work in Germany so I had a doubt whether we are accepted in German society,office, neighbourhood,etc. ?Is there any kind of racism?Do the Germans hate us and ignore us,dont talk to us(some people dont like outsiders taking away there job..happens in some states of India too).
I consider this as major aspect while deciding a university to study abroad because no point in taking loans and spending huge sum of money to live in country where the natives dont accept us in their society.
Any experiences on attitude of german society towards us especially from seniors who have studied and worked,doing Phd in Germany?
Also experiences from other countries are welcome

PS:Dont lecture that India is also not safe and all that indian politics of intolerance..concentrate only on study destination countries

I m posting a few links and evidences as I am not having this doubt out of nothing.Is Germany Safe for Indian students?Dont they like immigrants?
1)Hamburg
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/...917246.cms

2)Siegan
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/3063...rmany.html

3)Jena
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/ra...39900.html

4)Bonn
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germ...74842.html
Indian student tongue cut in this incident..really horribleSad

5) The (in)famous incident of professor rejecting indian student application bcos of "indian rape problem".
No doubt such people would naturally hate indians
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/stud...5fZHO.html

6)Saxony
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germ...01033.html
old incident but Neo-Nazis Shocked in picture....holy *word censored by forum*..Do they still exist?

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Important thread for all new users
Search on EDOOGLE

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 02:37 PM by masterspassion.)
12-02-2015 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 0
RE: A query on safety in Germany
The general rule I follow is: Don't be an a**hole, and people will treat you fine.

In general, it is largely very very safe. Even if people *do* harbour any feelings of ill towards you, it is very rare that they exhibit it openly. Till now I've only met people at best, interested in foreign cultures, and at worst, indifferent to them. Never have I seen or heard of anti-immigrant incidents (anti-refugee is a different story). There *is* a bit of what I call "passive" racism, for instance, an apartment owner preferring a European name over yours because it sounds foreign, or being picked out of an airport line at random for general checks. That exists in pretty much every country I've been to.

Do Germans hate us and ignore us? It will of course be laughably inappropriate to generalise all Germans. If you see a grumpy cashier at the desk, he will probably be as grumpy to you as to Germans. The culture is not as outgoing as in the US, as one would have heard. Once you warm up to people, they are usually nice.

Have immigrants integrated well into German society? A very broad question that requires more than a simplistic answer of "yes/no". What I can say is that it is very helpful if you are proactive in this: learn the language, participate in cultural activities, respect rules, and understand German society. You don't have to start reading Schiller from next week, but a simple "Danke sehr" genuinely said with a smile goes a long way.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
12-03-2015 01:04 AM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
RE: A query on safety in Germany
If you had cared to give it a little more thought, you would have also realized that your baseline in this comparison are two countries that have English as the primary language. If you take the language out of the equation, Germany is equally, if not more, friendly a country as any other. If you want to have a social life outside of Uni, you will have to learn German.

If you don't want to read a lecture on how every country has violent people, stop asking stupid questions. And while you are at it, you should also stop making blanket statements and gross generalizations. If you wish to go to a country with zero incidents of violence then Germany is certainly not one of them. But at least it does better than your baseline of US. And by the way, two links of your "evidence" bear no links to racist attacks.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 03:04 AM by anuragm.)
12-04-2015 03:04 AM
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: A query on safety and integration in Germany
anuragm My query is more focussed on acceptance and integration of Indians in German society.It is not completely focused on racism.Racism forms just a small part of the entire query.So the "two links" which u mentioned may have no links to racist attacks.(I modified the subject title to prevent confusion)

But rejecting an application of student due to "rape problem" shows that those type of Germans have biases against Indian or other Immigrants.It shows that they view Indian or asian immigrants as people of very inferior values.(which is not true).Though my previous statement may appear harsh but it has happened before and there may be many people of such mentality in Germany who think with same biases.If many people have such or similar biases then we cannot decline the fact that such people wont allow immigrants to integrate with them.(which can lead to similar problems like rejecting job application bcos of "rape problem" or any such "problem").This is something which doesnt occur in US(because even if some employer does it then he may have to face a lawsuit against him since inequality based on colour,name,nationality is a big issue in USA)
So I said as before
Quote:I consider this as major aspect while deciding a university to study abroad because no point in taking loans and spending huge sum of money to live in country where the natives dont accept us in their society.

you say that learning German language will solve all these kind of problems
but then choosing a university for higher studies depends on student's career plan if he wants to spend time in learning German (one year at least to learn only the basic German communication)

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Search on EDOOGLE

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2015 07:22 PM by masterspassion.)
12-04-2015 02:13 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Your sarcasm is well noted. So is your impeccable logic and reasoning. Please bear in mind that the quality of an answer is directly related to the quality of the question itself.

Despite what I said about gross generalizations and blanket statements in my previous post, you have failed to understand the point and continue to do indulge in the same. And "harsh" is not the right word, the adjective you are looking for is "conjecture". About the internship incident in Leipzig, a formal apology was issued by the University in question. The well read person you are, I am sure you have also come across the letter written by the German ambassador to India. Despite all of that, your version of reality is extremely distorted and colored. This also makes me wonder - how do you conclude that such things (discrimination) don't happen in US, never mind the obfuscation about lawsuits.

Your primary query has already been answered by both spiketospica and I. Probably others would add more to it. But Edulix is certainly not meant to be a platform for spoon-feeding and neither has someone here arm-twisted you to apply to a German Uni. You are free to make your own decisions, but please don't expect someone to invest his/her time soothing your baseless fears.

12-04-2015 08:08 PM
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

SadSadSadSad So rude...but good vocabulury

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Search on EDOOGLE

12-04-2015 08:59 PM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 0
Without intending to carry forward the tone of the thread, I'd agree with anuragm. The problems you mention are there in every country, including the US and India. You mention lawsuits in the US; aren't such lawsuits possible in a country like Germany? Of course they are; it isn't some lawless wasteland. The country has its own problems regarding immigrants, just like every other country in the world.

I agree with the remark about the language being extremely important. It won't solve all the "problems" (I'd like to call them "challenges"), but it'd be one of the few things that differentiate mainland European countries with the English speaking world that India is familiar with.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
12-05-2015 12:55 AM
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thankyou for your input spiketospica

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Search on EDOOGLE

12-05-2015 08:08 PM
masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

masterspassion Offline
Edulix Active Member

Those in Germany,Do you think the refugee crisis is affecting students? Or do you think that it will affect in long term or indirectly(like first it will affect the economy and then jobs and social benefits)?

I love Edulixing
How to fill Infobank
Search on EDOOGLE

03-19-2016 02:14 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread