Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
3 Years of gap in CV, how do I explain it?
ishikawa Offline
New Edulixian

ishikawa Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
3 Years of gap in CV, how do I explain it?
Hi, I'm applying to Universities in Germany for Master in Finance, I have previously been doing Master in Physics in Germany and I had to drop out due to bad grades. How do I explain this in my CV? Is it okay if I'm honest and mention that I dropped out? Currently I'm preparing for my CFA Level 1 exam. Also, I'm doing data science on my own so that I could be taken by an investment banking company as a quant/analyst.

Thinking about this I'm also concerned about the future employees and I'm pretty sure this would come to the surface if they wanted to know what I did for the 3 years. It's really unfortunate that I stayed in the program for 1.5 years and I had to drop out because I was no longer convinced that staying with bad grades would help me out psychologically and in terms of career.

Has anyone been in similar situation and know what you/they did? Personally, I'd like to work in Finance industry in Europe or Japan(my country).
02-24-2016 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

Likes Given: 5
RE: 3 Years of gap in CV, how do I explain it?
ishikawa
You will have to be honest. Do not lie. It can affect your career a lot, if caught.
But, what you should also do is to explain why you do it. Explain it in such manner that it supports your case. Explain what caused bad grades. It can be family issues or bad health or any other miscellaneous pressure. Just explain it in a intelligent manner.

The_Observer can help you, probably. He's one the best around here to get advice from.
Rogue Can you help too?

P.S : I just realised that you have been jumping. Masters in Physics to Quant/analyst to Masters in Finance. Are you sure what you want to do? Try not to be so volatile.
If a university comes to know about this.. it will certainly not be good for you.
You are in a tough spot and have to play this intelligently.

May god be with you. Best of luck.

Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth. -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Found my posts helpful?, then please provide Reputation points HERE

My Unorthodox VI. || How to Fill Infobank || How to choose b/w colleges (Courtesy T_O) || Things to keep in mind while taking LOR
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 02:27 PM by VMEHTA.)
02-24-2016 02:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Rogue Offline

Rogue Offline

Likes Given: 4
Dropping out of a program is not something very unusual I would say. I have a couple of friends who dropped out of their PhD physics programs in the US to go back to India and work for things that dont even pay half of what they were earning in the US. The point is as mentioned before, justify your cause smartly. Don't directly say that you dropped out because of bad grades, that certainly won't reflect well.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
05-28-2016 11:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 35
Any updates ishikawa
BTW I like the section 9 as well..

Man is an individual only because of his intangible memory. But memory cannot be defined, yet it defines mankind.
My Infobank Link.
http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=313764
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 03:54 PM by trigger777.)
03-09-2017 04:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread