EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
[**Delhi Meet - 2017**] [Fall 17 Profile Evaluation Forum] [Kindly read profile evaluation guide before creating threads]
[Use Edoogle Google Custom Search for Edulix] [Here is an overview of the application process]

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VISA for summer internship at Michigan
Garvit Goel Offline
New Edulixian

Garvit Goel Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
VISA for summer internship at Michigan
I am an engineering student studying at BITS Pilani, India. I talked to a professor at University of Michigan for conducting research under her guidance during summer, 2016. So i went through the VISA options. I was trying to get a J VISA, but she suggested that the process for J VISA is more complicated & lengthy, considering only 2 and half months are left before my I could start my research under her. Also, J VISA has a 2 year home stay constraint associated with it and i like to keep my option for pursuing Master's in US open as well. So, i am thinking of applying for B2(tourist) VISA. Since my brother also stays at Michigan, i could come under the pretext of visiting my brother. So, should i apply for B2 VISA with an intention of visiting my brother or should i also mention about the opportunity that i got at University of Michigan. My period of stay there would be 2 and half months.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2016 12:26 PM by Garvit Goel.)
03-05-2016 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ishansaxena45 Offline
CourseLiX Admin

ishansaxena45 Offline
CourseLiX Admin

Likes Given: 14
RE: VISA for summer internship at Michigan

Back and ready to roll !!

Tag me for Signal Processing related and Germany related queries.

My InfoBank | My Visa Interview | ECE Specialization Specific University List | The Comm & Signal Processing Thread
03-05-2016 07:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
Using a B-1/B-2 visa for any purpose apart from tourism is misusing it. And that can be construed as visa fraud. Don't do it, and jeopardize your future dealing with USCIS, is my opinion. Also, coming here on a J-1 doesn't mean you can never do an MS here; it just means you have to wait at least 2 years, and be outside the US until the 2 year duration is up. In my opinion, that's not necessarily a bad thing as such, because you'd probably be working in the interim, and that will add good experience to your resume. You can always come back here, and in the meantime, making your profile better isn't a bad idea at all. But, if you're thinking of misrepresenting your intentions of coming here just to avoid the 2-year clause, don't do it.

Another option can be to apply for MS programs for next year, and then pursuing research as a part of one, instead of now.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
03-05-2016 08:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
CMUburgh Away
Edulix Senior Member

CMUburgh Away
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
You can always get a waiver for J-1 visa. The waiver is only needed for industrial H1-B's.. for academic H1-B's you don't even need that.

PhD ECE aspirants interested in SP/Wireless Comm. Post your queries in gradcafe for enriching discussions related to groups and research.
Please don't tag me for PE's unless your area of research is Signal Processing/Wireless Communications. FYI, IP/CV != SP. I don't evaluate MS profiles. Please don't tag me for MS PE's.
Junta from IIT's feel free to tag me in any query related to EE and universities.
SeeAmYouBurgh
03-08-2017 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread