Whom to take LOR from?
sjhamb Offline
New Edulixian

sjhamb Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 1
Unisearch: Link
Whom to take LOR from?
I am planning to apply for MS in CS for Fall-2017.

As we normally need three recommenders for LORs, I will be taking one from an Assistant Professor in college under whom I did a project, one from my employer because I have over 2 years of work experience.

For the 3rd LOR, I have 2 options. Either to take from a DRDO scientist under whom I did an internship and who knows me very well. Or should I try to approach a professor in college who would not know me that well.

Ps - I am asking this because colleges advise to have at least 2 LOR's from college. If I take it from DRDO, I would be having only one.
06-07-2016 06:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

Likes Given: 5
RE: Whom to take LOR from?
sjhamb

Fill your infobank.

Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth. -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Found my posts helpful?, then please provide Reputation points HERE

My Unorthodox VI. || How to Fill Infobank || How to choose b/w colleges (Courtesy T_O) || Things to keep in mind while taking LOR
06-07-2016 08:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sjhamb Offline
New Edulixian

sjhamb Offline
New Edulixian

(06-07-2016 08:25 PM)VMEHTA Wrote:  @[sjhamb]

Fill your infobank.

VMEHTA I updated my Infobank. Please provide feedback to my query, would appreciate. Thanks!
06-08-2016 06:51 AM
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

sjhamb
Please write about your college projects/internships/work ex projects etc in the miscellaneous details in the infobank.

I will reply to your query as soon as you do the same. Tag me after that.
I hope you understand that we follow some particular rules here at Edulix which help us in maintaining quality of this forum. It also helps young aspirants and our juniors. I expect your cooperation, as I promise to do the same for you.

Welcome to Edulix!

P.S. : Congo on getting decent GRE score. Should help you a lot.

Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth. -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

My Unorthodox VI. || How to Fill Infobank || How to choose b/w colleges (Courtesy T_O) || Things to keep in mind while taking LOR
06-08-2016 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sjhamb Offline
New Edulixian

sjhamb Offline
New Edulixian

(06-08-2016 07:50 AM)VMEHTA Wrote:  @[sjhamb]
Please write about your college projects/internships/work ex projects etc in the miscellaneous details in the infobank.

I will reply to your query as soon as you do the same. Tag me after that.
I hope you understand that we follow some particular rules here at Edulix which help us in maintaining quality of this forum. It also helps young aspirants and our juniors. I expect your cooperation, as I promise to do the same for you.

Welcome to Edulix!

P.S. : Congo on getting decent GRE score. Should help you a lot.

I have updated the miscellaneous details section VMEHTA. You can have a look at http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=275247.

Thanks for bringing to my notice the need to maintain consistency. I will make sure to follow it in the future as well. Thanks!
06-08-2016 04:43 PM
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

sjhamb
Great Job!!

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHILE TAKING A LOR

Now, keep a few things in mind.

1. You will be applying to multiple colleges. 8 is a decent number.
2. Professors are busy. Scientists are more so.
3. A lot of times Prof have restriction on number of LOR they will provide.
4. Prof etc can have urgent meetings/work/ holiday etc and might not be able to provide all LOR on time. (Yes, you need a physical copy of LOR which needs to be signed (possibly on letter head) and then needs to be uploaded along with a few questions which he/she might have to answer.
5. Their internet can crash at last second. Sometimes, their internal mails have restrictions which don't allow external mails. A lot of times, there are errors in mail systems where the prof repeatedly doesn't get notification emails.
6. Some colleges do not accept gmail/ymail/hotmail etc public mail IDs. Only educational/institutional mail id. A lot of Indian prof don't have it. Contact your dept in US and ask if you can send physical copy of that prof.(If you don't have any other back up)

Hence, do the following:

1. Keep multiple backups. Talk to all the recommenders from now on. I had 6, in total. got refused by one or the another at multiple times. It is very erratic.
2. If they ask you to make it and upload it (it is very common), then do not do it from your own system, at all!! Some univ track your ip address.
3. Do not make your own LOR. If required, ask your friend to make one for you. Ask another friend to make one more. Mix everything up. Univ ppl easily get to know that the language in SOP and LOR is same, if written by you.
4. Keep a few signed copies of LOR with yourself too. Keep scans of it. Sometimes prof etc forward the mail to you. Avoid such stuff, but, you never know.
5. Start applications early. Try to finish them by early October. Very few students fill applications at this time and hence load of a LOR on prof is very less. Also, a lot of times, it's possible to send LOR request to the prof without filling the whole form and without even paying for it. Do it. It should be your priority. Prof can take up to 2 hours to 2 months to fill any LOR.
6. Read all the department and college websites and look at the requirements. Some colleges need the professor to mention specific things in the LOR. Sometimes, they even have formats. Again, it's very erratic. Filling up a single application can take up to even 4 days. Plan everything in advance. Always brace for misshapennings.

P.S. : CS prof have the maximum load. So, CS students need to be extra cautious and fast.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2016 05:34 PM by VMEHTA.)
06-08-2016 05:32 PM
Sambandh Dhal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Sambandh Dhal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 4
Is there any specified format for a LOR?
07-12-2016 10:48 PM
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

Sambandh Dhal

Have a look at THIS

07-13-2016 10:04 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread