Finally! Done with the VI which was the least difficult stage during the entire application process.
So all those who are freakishly scared of the VI, don't be. This is how I did it and so can everyone else. Here goes:
1) I booked my VI appointment on 12th June. Got a date of 16th July as my VI. This date was too late for me as I have to reach Braunschweig by the last week of August and the Embassy generally requires 4-6 weeks after your VI. So, after reading many VI experiences, I did the same thing as suggested by the seniors, which is to book the appointment for whatever date which is available and then try rescheduling it by checking 4-5 times a day. Generally, one or more slots will open up in an Embassy and you can prepone your VI. And after 2-3 days of trying, I got the date of 4th July which was ideal because my bank loan approval was still in process. So, first tip, schedule your appointment keeping in mind a lead time of atleast 25 days. If that is not possible, try rescheduling your VI date.
2) You require some documents for the VI. The checklist has been posted earlier. I am posting it again:
In sets of 2:
1. Application form filled and signed
2. Declaration form
3. Cover letter
4. Copy of admit letter
5. TOEFL and German Language certificate from Goethe Institute
6. Copy of certificates - Degree, Gate score (if you have any), All Semester marksheets, Provisional Certificates, TC, 10th and 12th Certificates.
7. Blocked acc. statement from DB for 8040 euros.
8. Copy of Passport
9. Acceptance of resignation, Experience letter from the company.
Points to Note: If you don't have a hard copy of your TOEFL score, the soft copy printout would do. So, don't worry. If you have taken a loan, take the loan approval letter with you. If you parents are sponsoring you, take an affidavit of support on a 100 Rs. stamp paper, along with their ITR for 3 years, their salary slips, their ID card of occupation, bank statement for last six months. Prepare 2 sets of everything (just in case).
This year there has been an issue of the change of DB blocked account from 8040 Eur to 8640 Eur. As I heard from many of my friends, VO were currently accepting the 8040 Eur confirmation to start the VI process but they also asked the students to submit the supplementary form to increase the limit as soon as possible. Some students who sent the Supplementary form directly were also charged 150 Euros. I sent it via DB Gurgaon, and surprisingly, I haven't been charged a dime extra.
3) My VI timing was at 1400 hours. I took the OLA Share cab option, which cut the cost to half (I am in no way sponsoring this thing) and dropped me surprisingly early. Long story short, I was there at the German Embassy at 1230 hours, a good 0130 hours before the scheduled time. I asked the gatekeeper guy if there was any chance of an earlier slot being given but he asked me to sit and wait for the given time only. So I waited there and I regretted not bringing some snacks along since I missed my breakfast that morning. Also, there was nothing around the Embassy for blocks so those who wish to go there, atleast keep a water bottle by your side.
4) Next, I put all the electronic gadgets that I had with me (mobile phone, ipod, pendrive) at gate number 2. They gave me a token back. As I entered the Embassy through gate number 1, I was checked thoroughly. *No Sir, nothing here* I proceeded further and got a slip to visit the Counter 2. There were 2 people before me for that counter. Each of their interviews lasted 10-15 minutes each. As I went in, the lady asked me to go to Counter 3 for no specific reason. *Ohhkaaay* And I went to the next counter. There was a sweet chubby lady in her 20s at that counter (You guessed that right
Me: Good Morning!
VO: Good Morning Sir! What Visa are you applying for?
Me: Student Visa.
VO: Please drop one set of documents in the box in front of you. Do you have originals as well?
Me: Yes Ma'am. *Gave her the documents*
I had everything except the Blocked account statement from DB. Because of the late loan approval, I transferred the money (9000 Euros) on 1st July, which was a Friday. I had my VI on Monday (4th July) and I knew that DB won't send me a confirmation on Friday itself. So, I took with me the SWIFT Transaction receipt that I had transferred funds to my account. Also, I had submitted the supplementary form to increase the limit to 720 Euros per month and 8640 Eur per year to DB Gurgaon (from where I opened my DB account) on 24th June.
VO: Aapke paas DB ka confirmation mail nahi hai?
Me: No ma'am. My loan was approved late. I do have the Swift transaction receipt though.
VO: Ye nahi chalega.
Ma'am I have the loan sanction paper with me. I have the Swift transaction receipt with me. You can check the account number. Those are the same as mentioned. I have also sent the supplementary form to increase the limit from 8040 Eur to 8640 Eur.
VO: Hmm. I'll have to keep your file under process till the DB guys mail you. You can mail us that confirmation and only then will we forward your application. Okay?
VO: Now is the time for your interview (Opens up the box again)
Me: *I thought she asked for some document* Excuse me?
VO: Your interview.
Yes ma'am, sure.
VO: *These questions were pretty basic. She just needed to affirm the details as given in the application form* Which Uni, Which course, How much tuition fees, When are you planning to go, Where did you work in the meantime, How much did you score in your Bachelor's, usw.
VO: You'll be required to give DSH Exam as well.
Me: Yes Ma'am. There will be language classes held side by side and I will be required to pass the DSH exam before my Master's thesis.
VO: So you know German as well right now?
Me: Ja. Ein bisschen.
VO: Wie heißen Sie?
Me: *I got a little startled because of the sudden change in the language* Uhmm..Es...Umm..Ich heiße Hitesh
VO: Woher kommen Sie?
Me: Told *in confidence now*
VO: Wo wohnen Sie?
VO: Wie ist das Wetter?
Me: Heute ist es sehr heiß.
VO: Okay. *Further questions* What does your parents do? Do you have any siblings? usw.
VO: Okay Sir. Please give your DD now. I have sorted the documents in a particular order. Please rearrange another set as this one and fill this questionnaire. Go outside and come in when you are done
Me: *Passed the DD* Okay Ma'am.
VO: *Gave me the receipt for 4600 Rs.*
The Questionnaire had the following questions
1. Why did you choose this course? Why is Germany good for this course?
2. Did you take any CET? What was the result?
3. Where did you do your higher secondary school education? What was the medium of instruction?
4. Where did you do your secondary school education? What was the medium of instruction?
5. Please specify some of the important scientists in your field!
6.How did you know about this course? If you came to know from any website, please specify
7. What did you do during the gap between your higher secondary education and college? (to be filled only if the gap is more than 6 months)
After filling this questionnaire and rearranging the documents, I went in. She took my finger prints, gave me the email id to send the DB confirmation and that was it.
But she didn't put any stamp on my passport though.
No second year financials. Not even Travel Insurance. No grilling questions of any sort. I was out by 1520 hours. I collected my electronic items and booked a cab back home. While sitting on the front seat, I received an email from DB that they confirm the receipt of 9000 Eur in my account. I forwarded it to the Delhi Embassy and got a confirmation by them on the following day.
Waiting for further announcements.