MS from Europe
sawansib Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sawansib Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: MS from Europe
(01-23-2017 10:08 AM)Ayanroy Wrote:  @[cneha1991] , @[sawansib]. Please Help me. @[ishansaxena45] @[MSmaverick] I also hold an admit for Michigan Tech MS in Cyber Security for FALL 2017. Should I go for it??? Can you throw some light on the course at Michigan Tech and also the pros and cons of it....

Thanks in advance

Michigan Tech is a top rated institute. Although I am not a pro and does not have any experience so kindly verify my answer with some one else and then choose the best.

Best Of Luck!!
01-23-2017 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 3
Hi Ayanroy

I am not familiar with Mich Tech. I will ask around my friends in Mich. If anything comes up, I will let you know.

Short bytes - Important guidelines in one line or less | Unisuggest | Profile evaluators

Reputation If my advice helped you, rep me.

UT Austin | UHMC | UTD | USF | CSU

Everyone has an opinion, but no one has a guarantee.
01-23-2017 10:08 PM
Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(01-23-2017 10:08 PM)MSmaverick Wrote:  Hi @[Ayanroy]

I am not familiar with Mich Tech. I will ask around my friends in Mich. If anything comes up, I will let you know.

MSmaverick Thank you sir. Would be of great help if you kindly let me know about it.
I mailed the international office of some of the German Universities and they mentioned that I need to have German level proficiency for my Masters and the min level I came across was B1 level. So that becomes an obstacle as of now for me.

(01-23-2017 09:48 PM)sawansib Wrote:  
(01-23-2017 10:08 AM)Ayanroy Wrote:  @[cneha1991] , sawansib. Please Help me. @[ishansaxena45] MSmaverick I also hold an admit for Michigan Tech MS in Cyber Security for FALL 2017. Should I go for it??? Can you throw some light on the course at Michigan Tech and also the pros and cons of it....

Thanks in advance

Michigan Tech is a top rated institute. Although I am not a pro and does not have any experience so kindly verify my answer with some one else and then choose the best.

Best Of Luck!!

Thank you sawansib for such prompt response. Can you highlight the scope or the pros and cons of doing MS in Cyber Security. I reckon its a hot topic nowadays and has ample amount of opportunity. I may be wrong... Can you give some suggestions....

Thanks in advance !!!!
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 09:59 AM by Ayanroy.)
01-25-2017 09:55 AM
sawansib Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sawansib Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(01-25-2017 09:55 AM)Ayanroy Wrote:  
(01-23-2017 10:08 PM)MSmaverick Wrote:  Hi @[Ayanroy]

MSmaverick Thank you sir. Would be of great help if you kindly let me know about it.
I mailed the international office of some of the German Universities and they mentioned that I need to have German level proficiency for my Masters and the min level I came across was B1 level. So that becomes an obstacle as of now for me.

(01-23-2017 09:48 PM)sawansib Wrote:  
(01-23-2017 10:08 AM)Ayanroy Wrote:  @[cneha1991] , @[sawansib]. Please Help me. @[ishansaxena45] MSmaverick I also hold an admit for Michigan Tech MS in Cyber Security for FALL 2017. Should I go for it??? Can you throw some light on the course at Michigan Tech and also the pros and cons of it....

Thanks in advance

Best Of Luck!!

Thank you @[sawansib] for such prompt response. Can you highlight the scope or the pros and cons of doing MS in Cyber Security. I reckon its a hot topic nowadays and has ample amount of opportunity. I may be wrong... Can you give some suggestions....

Thanks in advance !!!!

Sorry but I am from electronics background and worked on embedded systems so I have no idea about your course.

Kindly tag the right senior.

Regards.
01-25-2017 11:39 AM
MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

Hi Ayanroy

Mich Tech is a good Univ(not a great one). Your fee might be comparatively low. But, you need to consider a lot of other factors like weather(extreme cold), Job opportunities (comparatively harder. A few people get jobs but most of them have to search outside.)

So, If I were you,I would look for better places. Also, Not all courses in German univs require proficiency at first. So, look deeper into that.No need to call me sir. I am your friend and a senior.

P.S: Better to use "new reply" option instead of "reply to", the message is too nested to make any sense.

Short bytes - Important guidelines in one line or less | Unisuggest | Profile evaluators

01-25-2017 12:04 PM
Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MSmaverick Thank you for such prompt response. By locations outside do you mean outside Michigan or outside USA? Will the course have an additional advantage??
I also hold admit from university of Glasgow for MSc in Information Security but owing to the stringent visa rules and a 1 year degree, I am a bit skeptical about it.

I have offers from :
1> Univ of Glasgow.
2>National College of Ireland.
3>Michigan Tech,
4>Royal Holloway University of London (MSC in information security with a year in industry programme).

How would you rank these colleges ??

Thanks in advance
01-26-2017 08:28 AM
MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

Hi Ayanroy
I meant other than Mich Tech in USA. I am not familiar with Europe universities. One of the advantages of Cyber security is its niche. You don't have to compete with too many (ex: business analyst had too many applicants). Your pool is less, at the same time the number of openings are low compared to other jobs(which is perfectly fine). You need to get a good foothold in your job. If you are sure about meeting the technical capabilities of the job, then by all means it is a wonderful and growing field.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

01-26-2017 09:41 AM
Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MSmaverick Thank you, that was of great help to me. I was thinking of finalizing Mich Tech as I don't have any more admits from USA... Would that be a dreadful decision which I may regret later? Should I go for it as I am not sure whether I will get any admits from USA if I defer my admission for the next year. Cos I applied in 2015 for FALL 2016 and I got rejected by many univ in US including Mich Tech (rather by all univ I applied to except Illinois Tech where the tution fees were really high) . So I am a bit hesitant about deferring it for FALL 2018.
What would you suggest ???

Thanks in advance...... [/align]
01-27-2017 10:00 AM
MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

Hi Ayanroy

Your profile seems good. I am not sure why you received rejects for a majority of them. What are the univs you applied?

My suggestion is for you to defer or look for other schools.

Create a profile eval thread in the forum and make a list of univs and tag us.

01-27-2017 11:14 AM
Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Ayanroy Offline
Edulix Frequent User

MSmaverick Last year I applied to the following Universities for MS in CS..

1> UNCC
2>Univ of Utah
3>ASU
4>Mich Tech
5>Stony Brook.
6>Illinois Tech (only admit )
7>Missouri S&T.

I already had my Masters in CS from India. Could this possibly be a reason why they rejected me???

Awaiting your reply ..

Thanks in advance..
01-30-2017 09:45 AM
MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

Hi @[Ayanroy]
As long as you can provide a justification in your SOP it should not be a problem.

Like I said in earlier reply, the best thing is to create a profile evaluation thread in forum. Tag bigkeydi and aditya57. Their advice will be more helpful regarding the working of CS admission committees.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 10:04 AM by MSmaverick.)
01-30-2017 10:04 AM
cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 2
Ayanroy
Although I am replying too late, hope I can still help.
I am unfit for profile evaluations as it's been 3 years since i started and the trends have changed much.

As far knowledge of German is concerned, most of courses you will apply will be in English and German knowledge is not an application requirement. All you need is GRE, TOEFL and other usual stuff that is needed even for US applications. Its good for everyday communication if you know German, but for the study programs, its no requirement. So please do apply to all the courses you like and later you can decide if you want to go there or not.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
VI Experience | Computer Science Course Page Link | Infobank Tutorial
Please tag in posts for answers.
02-19-2017 12:50 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread