EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using course credits acquired during master's degree towards Ph.D.?
brishti Offline
Edulix Frequent User

brishti Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 7
Unisearch: Link
Using course credits acquired during master's degree towards Ph.D.?
Hi,

PhD programs in US have a considerably heavy coursework requirement and I did not find any provisions for reduction of this requirement for student already having a master's degree at the time of enrollment. From the look of things, it appears that a student with a bachelor's degree and another with a master's degree must complete the same coursework requirements to earn a PhD which is quite frustrating. However, there is a mention of transferring credits from a master's degree program to be used towards a doctoral program. The university that I am planning to attend says:

"Work done for the master’s degree may be included in the work for the doctoral degree, provided it is acceptable to the Graduate Studies Committee, the supervising committee, and the graduate dean and provided it has not already been used toward another doctoral degree"

It also says that no more than six semester hours of courses can be transferred from another university but exceptions to the six-hour maximum may be granted with approval of the Graduate Committee. My question is that is it common for US universities to allow credit transfer from courses used towards attaining a master's degree in other foreign institutes? Do they consider courses taken the IITs or is the transfer only applicable for those earning a MS from other US universities itself?

Also if I am allowed to transfer credits approximately how much would that reduction amount to (all courses that I took during master's are of 4 credits)?

Thank you for your guidance regarding this.
03-25-2017 08:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Online
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Online
Administrator

Likes Given: 446
RE: Using course credits acquired during master's degree towards Ph.D.?
Not all US programs allow such a transfer. Typically, programs that accept direct PhD from BS degree will absolutely allow transfer of MS credit. Example is UCSD. That is only fair. However, if the PhD program is designed as a post-MS program, then naturally no credit transfers are allowed. There are some programs that have a blend model where they take both types. As it is program specific (sometimes varies from department to department in the same university), it is useful to consult with each program directly. Give us an example and we can do the assessment.

Cheers

EE

03-26-2017 04:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
brishti Offline
Edulix Frequent User

brishti Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 7
(03-26-2017 04:25 AM)Edulix_Editor Wrote:  Not all US programs allow such a transfer. Typically, programs that accept direct PhD from BS degree will absolutely allow transfer of MS credit. Example is UCSD. That is only fair. However, if the PhD program is designed as a post-MS program, then naturally no credit transfers are allowed. There are some programs that have a blend model where they take both types. As it is program specific (sometimes varies from department to department in the same university), it is useful to consult with each program directly. Give us an example and we can do the assessment.

Cheers

EE

Well most of the universities that I have applied to did mention that they do not require a master's for enrollment to PhD - i.e. I think I have not applied to any post-MS PhD program. Most take in both types as you have mentioned. I am planning to attend UT Austin (ECE department) and the information that I quoted in my question is given at their website. So it will be helpful if you can let me know how things work for UT Austin's PhD program in ECE.

My another question was that can graduate course credits from Indian institutes (IITK in my case) be transferred since the grading scale is different? If the transfer that they are talking about is only applicable for courses taken during MS in US, then naturally seeking any further information on the topic is futile for me. I did not find any information on how they deal with the different grading scales for foreign institutes.

Thank you for your reply. I would appreciate if you can clarify the above points.
03-26-2017 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Online
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Online
Administrator

Likes Given: 446
I had done 3 grad courses after MS in Turkey and I was able to transfer them for my PhD degree requirement at Virginia Tech. So, I see no problem in transferring from IITs.

My advice is to do the transfer paperwork once you are here. It is much easier when you can talk directly to your advisor and grad admission office. That is what I did.

Cheers

EE

03-26-2017 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread