EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NYU Tandon MS CS vs Simon Fraser MS CS(Big Data)
tentative Offline
Edulix Frequent User

tentative Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
NYU Tandon MS CS vs Simon Fraser MS CS(Big Data)
I've received admits from NYU Tandon in US and SFU Big data in Canada. Although has a good brand name, the fee is high and Tandon is not very highly ranked for CS.
In Canada, I've got an admit from SFU in Big data, and the course and profs look appealing, considering that big data is my field of interest.
In beginning, I was aiming only for US and just applied to 1-2 Canadian universities as safe schools. But now, considering the Trump scenario and the employers reluctant to offer jobs, it seems Canada would be a better option. What would be a better option? Please help seniors!
Tagging
bigkeydi
CMUburgh
MSinCS14
Edulix_Editor
gamekathu
04-16-2017 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 453
RE: NYU Tandon MS CS vs Simon Fraser MS CS(Big Data)
If you are a risk-taker, NYU will be a better destination. The jobs you will be able to secure will help pay back your loans at a much faster rate. SFU is also a great place. If you decide to go there, there will be opportunities in Vancouver even though the main big data jobs are in Toronto.

Regarding the leadership issue in the US, we are seeing rationality and economic reality winning despite the public posturing. The H1 visa numbers (for this year) were kept the same despite all that noise.

cheers,

EE
PS
Can you please update your university list and admit decisions in your Unisearch profile? It will help our next generation off applicants tremendously.

04-17-2017 12:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
tentative Offline
Edulix Frequent User

tentative Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Thank you so much for your inputs Edulix_Editor. Will definitely update my university list.

Of course, NYU(more like, NYC) was my first choice instinctively. But the fact that many employers are asking whether sponsorship is required or not and rejecting even qualified candidates is what is deterring me. Moreover, there is much competition there even after reaching and I am or may not be able to specialize in Big Data. I am not much of risk taker(now), and I do not consider myself to be very good at coding.

Regarding loans, I would have to take negligible to zero loan for SFU. Moreover the paid co-op, as well as a high chance of getting TA/RA, will compensate some of the costs. Whereas for NYU, I would have to take a hefty loan and will have a negligible chance of TA/RA due to the high competition.

The things that are appealing about NYU to me are the high brand value of NYU tag, and of course NYC.

Due to all these factors, I am more inclined towards SFU currently. I have presented a complete picture of my situation to you. Would you please just propose, if you were in my place, what would be your choice and why? Thanks in advance.

(04-17-2017 12:20 AM)Edulix_Editor Wrote:  If you are a risk-taker, NYU will be a better destination. The jobs you will be able to secure will help pay back your loans at a much faster rate. SFU is also a great place. If you decide to go there, there will be opportunities in Vancouver even though the main big data jobs are in Toronto.

Regarding the leadership issue in the US, we are seeing rationality and economic reality winning despite the public posturing. The H1 visa numbers (for this year) were kept the same despite all that noise.

cheers,

EE
PS
Can you please update your university list and admit decisions in your Unisearch profile? It will help our next generation off applicants tremendously.
Yesterday 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 453
Yes, there is no doubt there are many unknowns and risks. That is why I always try to attach the risk appetite to the recommended program.

For now, radical 'populism' and far-right nationalism are causing lots of uncertainty around the world. We are hoping the French election slows that today. Fingers crossed.

What does that mean for highly skilled labor? Well, as has always been the case, in the long run, skill and capital will flow where there is freedom and less restriction. Germany, Canada, and rest of Euro will benefit. In the US, my take is that if the economy holds well in the next 2-3 years, skilled immigrant labor should be ok. The US economy can't overnight find only local folks to do high skilled labor. All you have to do is visit tech companies, rural hospitals, any university campus and the story should be clear. If the economy tanks, of course, not only F1 folks, but everyone else will suffer.

Coming back to where we started from, it is again about risk and the appetite for it.

In your case, SFU is a safe and good choice. If you are feeling good about it, go for it! You will get good education.

Cheers

EE

Today 07:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread