nemesis45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

nemesis45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 4
Unisearch: Link
CPT is always approved?
Hi,

I am a first year graduate student at Columbia University.
I have an internship offer for the summer. The department has authorized my CPT, and I have asked for approval from the ISSO office.

Today I got a mail saying that they need additional information to approve my CPT. This has not happened with anyone I know.

I had to apply for a reduced course load this semester and also have two incomplete classes from last Fall, due to personal reasons. I had asked ISSO before asking for approval if this will be an issue and they replied that I was eligible to apply for CPT even with a reduced courseload.

Anyone knows if the CPT is always approved - I meet all other eligibility criteria (all I can think of is the reduced course load).

Their office is closed till Monday. Kind of nervous about this, which is why I posted here. I absolutely need the money from the internship - around $10k savings, and my program costs like $110k, without the internship, things would become very difficult for me Sad

04-28-2017 05:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
RE: CPT is always approved?
You have been in the US for nearly a year now, correct? By now, I hope you've realized that (1) nothing here is guaranteed, and (2) you aren't entitled to anything, especially as an international student. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about this. As long as the school certifies that you're eligible for CPT, the USCIS generally doesn't raise too many questions or issues. In your case, if I had to guess, I'm going to say that this is probably a case of your ISSO officials trying to cover all their bases, since your case is a bit out of the ordinary due to the reduced courseload. Once they are satisfied that everything is in order, they'd approve your CPT application.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
04-28-2017 12:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
nemesis45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

nemesis45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(04-28-2017 12:07 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  You have been in the US for nearly a year now, correct? By now, I hope you've realized that (1) nothing here is guaranteed, and (2) you aren't entitled to anything, especially as an international student. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about this. As long as the school certifies that you're eligible for CPT, the USCIS generally doesn't raise too many questions or issues. In your case, if I had to guess, I'm going to say that this is probably a case of your ISSO officials trying to cover all their bases, since your case is a bit out of the ordinary due to the reduced courseload. Once they are satisfied that everything is in order, they'd approve your CPT application.

Thanks - hopefully it goes smoothly.
Yes of course I know that. Just wanted to know if anyone ever did not get approval for CPT.

04-28-2017 06:09 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Not that I know of. Good luck!

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
04-29-2017 02:48 AM
nemesis45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

nemesis45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Met with an ISSO senior advisor today. They were uncomfortable with the notion of me getting incomplete in two fall courses and taking a reduced course load in the spring. They thought I was doing part time the whole time.

I did explain that I would have at least one full term and part of the reason for the reduced course work is that the classes that I missed in the previous Fall were pre requisites for many classes that I can take in the future (but can't say this explicitly as well because the reason on paper is medical). Without the Pre req's I cannot take other courses as well.

Well I was able to convince her after a 30 min discussion, but now the department has asked me to submit a medical note from my Doc. The thing is I need an RCL(reduced load) for the next sem as well due to the core classes issue. Not sure how to proceed because the Doc can't recommend RCL on one hand and say that I am fir for a full time internship as well. Sad.

Bad situation to be in I guess. Should not have gone for RCL/incompletes last semester. Wish I knew it would be such a big hassle.

04-29-2017 05:49 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread