Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 472
Unisearch: Link
Edulix Most Influential 20 - Trendsetters
Hi All:

Over the next few weeks, we will highlight a brief profile of some of the smartest, kindest, and most impactful young men and women onboard Edulix. These individuals have left a mark on Edulix and Edulixians through helping their juniors and setting highest standards of academic and professional excellence. We believe that they are poised to go to even higher places.

First-up is hexinx.

UG: College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University
Grad School & Degree Program: University of Florida, Computer Science
Research Area: Applied Cryptography, Security and Parallel Computing

Most prominent accomplishment so far, that you are proud of:

There was a time in my life just after my final undergrad year, when situation forced me to live alone in a small room with no air conditioning, having less money, no job, and 9 exams short of a completing my degree (because of tragedies in my family and personal life). I still chose to pursue my research interests amidst a living hell, and went on to solely author my 3rd solely authored IEEE paper, when there was literally no advantage of doing so, especially in a time like that. This paper went on to be nominated for best paper, was fully sponsored by the conference, and has -till date- earned 18 citations in various papers and PhD theses, apart from consistently being the most downloaded paper of the (prestigious) conference-CCECE’14.

Earlier this year, the author of a standard graduate level textbook on secure protocols (Protocols for Secure Electronic Commerce) decided to include the results of my research in one of the chapters of the newest edition of the book. I thank God that I was graced to see results from my research paper (solely authored at age 22) being taught to students around the world from CMU to universities in Hong Kong, just 3 years following its publication.

Most memorable moment during apping and Grad School:
I recall being kept awake at night, terrified at the possibility of zero admits. My very first admit left me elated at the fact that I had finally escaped almost 2 years of stagnancy. I eventually joined UF, and promised myself to be thankful in everything I did there. My most memorable moment in grad school is not one, but all the times when my closest friends here came home to cook together and eat together. We would talk, have fun, play guitar and sing songs, watch movies into the night, and fall asleep around the house. Days like this feel closest to a home away from home, as could be.

Most exciting/intriguing/rewarding class or research project in Grad School:
Following my past endeavors in low-level programming, I had taken a course called Malware Reverse Engineering. This was the “best” course ever, because of how I enjoyed the subject, the assignments, and how I loved the teacher, his humor, and how I got a perfect final letter grade. It was the period of time following this, that certain “contributions” of mine eventually resulted in me receiving a personally signed letter from 2 technical directors of the NSA.

Most fun thing about you that people do not know about:
Apart from playing the acoustic, electric and lap-steel guitar and piano, I’ve also composed a few songs. I just don’t tend to play this for people, since I’d rather just do instrumental jams, or play well-known songs instead.

Most time-wasting habit of yours:
I tend to play counter-strike a lot. Well, at least in relative terms. I end up wasting a few hours a week because of what I unjustly call “relaxation” (when in truth, I most usually end up stressed because of aggressive gameplay). I also tend to spend too much time working on art and graphics (when I’m supposed to be working).

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years? God willing, managing my own company; “making the world a better place” just the way I promised to the one dearest to me, who I lost on a deathbed.

What do you most miss about India? The fact that one can get cheap, amazing food in any corner of any street in any city in any state of the country.
----------------- end------------------------------

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 08:16 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
05-11-2017 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

RE: Edulix Most Influential 20 - Trendsetters
Next up in the 'Edulix Most Influential 20' profile is The_Minuteman........

EE

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
05-11-2017 07:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

The_Minuteman - Our man in Amherst is the next member of 'Edulix Most Influential 20'.

UG: Visveswaraiah Technological University

Grad School & Degree Program: University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering

Research Area: Network Design and Architecture

Presenting a paper in front of 200+ people at the Open Networking Summit. That was scary, given that it was the first time I was in front of such a large crowd. I have presented in front of 20-30 people before, but not 200ish.

The moment I realized after coming here that all my notions about grad school and the application process were so wrong!

The current project that I am working on, which is a confluence of network management and machine learning.

That I am a closet nerd!

Oh, I have too many of those to list. Procrastination comes very high up on that list.

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years?

Probably as an architect at a good research lab, maybe MSR, Google Labs or Amazon Labs.

What do you most miss about India?

That’s easy. The food!

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 08:16 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
05-12-2017 08:11 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Next up in the "Edulix Most Influential 20" list is MSmaverick - our man in Dallas

UG: Electronics and Communication Engineering
Grad School & Degree Program: University of Texas at Dallas, MS in Information Technology and Management.
[b]Research Area:[/b] Information Systems

Getting admits to IIMs in India and UT Austin

Nothing beats the joy of hearing those soothing words "Your visa has been approved."

As a part of our Project Management class project, we came up with a theoretical implementation of the project. After presenting the idea to Industry experts and taking in the feedback, we are planning to move ahead and implement it in real time.

Google chose my career instead of me. I was yet to choose between IIM's and MS. Thanks to Google Spam filters, the IIM admission emails went into spam and here I am in the USA Razz

Reading far too many Manga and watching Anime and TV series.

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years:
Research into Machine learning and AI.

Family, Friends, and Food.

05-13-2017 03:03 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Next up on the 'Edulix Most Influential 20' list is Silent_Killer....... from UMCP now to PwC...Stay tuned....

Cheers

EE

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 10:29 PM by Edulix_Editor.)
05-13-2017 10:24 PM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

"Being a Mumbaikar, I miss Vada Pav as well", writes Silent_Killer, our next member recognized as one of the "Edulix Most Influential 20".

UG: Bachelors in Computer Engineering- Mumbai University
Grad School & Degree Program: Masters in Information Management - University of Maryland College Park
Research Area: None

The most prominent accomplishment would be : 'Not giving up on the american dream despite getting the F1 visa rejected 3 times in 2012. Against the odds got my visa approved in the 4th attempt in 2013 for UMCP. I think graduating from UMCP and now being part of PwC which is one of the Big consulting firms in the US could be my biggest achievement so far"

The most memorable moment during application period has to be the day i got my visa approved on the 4th Attempt.

The most memorable moment during grad school was when i got the offer from PwC one day before Thanksgiving - 2014

The most rewarding and intriguing course in grad school was "Strategic and organization management". Professor was great and the Course was all about reading and reviewing Case studies from Harvard Business Review.

I like to bet against the odds.

Browsing Facebook, twitter even when i know there are no new feeds

I see myself growing and climbing the ladder in PwC (unless i screw up big time)

I miss my parents & friends. Being a mumbaikar, i miss vada pav as well.

05-15-2017 11:58 PM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

With more than 17,500 posts, ~400 reputation points and thousands of MS-, MBA-, MIS-aspiring young men and women he has ably and enthusiastically guided over the years, The_Observer holds a unique and special place in Edulix community. He is our top "Edulix Most Influential 20". Kudos and Respect....

UG Institution: Thakur College of Engineering & Tech, University of Mumbai

Graduate Institution: University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Degree Program: MS in Information Technology

Started off with my thesis in HCI, switched gears midway during my MS, and went on to finish my concentration in Information Security & Privacy.

The fact that at least a few people from here on Edulix have been helped by my advice in some way, and also that more than a few of the amazing people I've met through Edulix I count amongst my best friends.

Most memorable application-related instance was when I got my first admit. It was from a school that I really wasn't too keen on attending, but still, the first admit is always very special.

About the 2nd thing: I can't really say I had one specific memorable event or moment during grad school. The whole journey was amazingly exhilarating! Made very good friends, got the opportunity to stay with strangers who soon became family (my apartment-mates), and the experience of studying in a different country, learning local customs, learning about American culture, etc., all those experiences I'll never forget.

A class on Computer Forensics that I had to take in order to complete my InfoSec concentration requirements. Originally took it because it was one of the few courses in the semester that would count towards my concentration requirements, but later went on to enjoy it thoroughly. It was mainly because of the professor - who, while not being just a researcher, was a practitioner of computer forensics in the field, and he was someone who was trained at the FLETC (The US government's Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) on computer forensics, alongside federal agents. That real-life experience make that class all the more fun and better to relate to.

I went from Wisconsin to NY, to Germany, to Holland, to Belgium, and back to NY, then to Puerto Rico, Florida and back to Wisconsin, all in the span of 3 weeks. Yes, I used to travel like a maniac, before I got my dog. Now you know why I was given the title of "Airport Layover Consultant" here on Edulix

Like everyone else, Netflixing! Well, to be honest though, now that I'm not in grad school anymore (and I haven't been for about 7 years), Netflixing-and-chilling sounds like a great idea when I get time to do that

Honestly, I don't know. That question always stumps me. I could say that I'd like to be in middle management, but the more pragmatic side of me knows that's probably wishful thinking, given the fact that I have a tad little less experience that is necessary for those sorts of roles.

Honestly, not much. What can I say, I'm a rare breed. Five years ago, I probably would've said Indian food, but c'mon, Indian restaurants are a-dime-a-dozen nowadays, in most states of the US, and the place I stay in, Raleigh, NC, is full of Indians anyway, so no dearth of Indian food here.
--------------------------

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 12:26 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
05-18-2017 12:22 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Changing gear to Europe, our next Edulixian to be honored in Edulix Most Influential 20 list is our own Rogue who is currently doing her PhD in Germany (TU Berlin). Along the way, she picked up MS degree in ChemE at Delft.

Rogue talks about some of her research that has already won her accolades and what she misses about India ("to dress up in a variety of colours and in a variety of ways')

Here is Rogue, in her own words.

UG:
BITS-Pilani (Goa campus), India
Grad School & Degree Program:
Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands || MSc Chemical Engineering (Track Process Engineering)
Research Area: Solar Fuels

I think my biggest achievement so far is being selected for this particular PhD project I am working on. What is special about this project and I consider myself fortunate to have it is that, this is a project funded under the European Union's H2020 scheme of Future Emerging Technologies. Our project is also a big contributor to European Union's Climate Change concerns.

In addition to that, what I am especially proud of is that I won a Poster Prize out of 110 posters at an International Diamond Conference (Hasselt Diamond Workshop 2017) for presenting my research results from this immensely important EU project.

Moreover this has resulted in me being featured in the news of my research institute and project consortium and the Conference website because of this achievement. HZB NEWSHasselt Diamond Workshop 2017. I think this is the second time I was featured on the news for some achievement, and I guess it feels good to have your hardwork recognized in such ways.

I think I was more or less very stressed during the whole application season but the most memorable moment was certainly my first admit from TU Delft. Assuming I can still count my PhD days in Berlin as a part of graduate school, I think being able to present my results from my PhD research in front of the entire European Commission during a review meeting felt extremely good. It was certainly a memorable moment for me to be able to convincingly and comprehensively present my results to the review committee and thereby contributing along with other colleagues from the project towards earning a renewal of our project funding. It was a Herculean task, as a PhD student to contribute in that fashion.

For me, since I have always liked to work at the interface of several disciplines, Solid State Physics seemed to be the perfect coursework that I had followed in my days in TU Delft. The course was officially called Chemistry and Physics of Solar cells but it was all Solid State Physics as they tend to form the foundation of Materials Science and Nanotechnology research in the present days. I also unexpectedly happened to score the highest grade in that course without attending a single lecture, so much so that I even surprised my instructor in the process. But he was so glad about my performance that he had agreed to offer me a PhD position which I later declined.

The most interesting research project has to be this one project which I did in a group of 5 people for this Dutch dairy company called Friesland Campina. As an engineer, we believe a lot in real time designing and evaluating the feasibility of a project. So, this project felt like some sort of technical consulting work that a group of graduate students were assigned to do as a part of our coursework. We were a group of 3 Dutch students and 2 Indians and during this whole project, we really felt the essence of teamwork which I believe serves as a very essential soft skill for one's future career.

I have travelled practically once every month in the last year and I love collecting post cards from all places that I visit. So I have a travel wall comprised of postcards from all cities that I have visited so far. And at present I am also compiling a scrap book of all the cities in the world that I would like to visit, making note of especially the most unusual things to find in those cities (things that are not-so-touristy, could be food, artifacts, activities to do etc.).

I think I talk a lot, be it in-person or over the phone. And by a lot I really mean it. There are times when I have gone to my colleague's office to discuss something important but we started talking and went on for hours about so many random things that in the end I forgot what I had actually wanted to discuss. Earlier, during school days I was yelled at by my mother several times for talking to my friends on the phone for hours altogether instead of discussing just important stuff. So I would say being chatty with people is the most time-wasting habit of mine. Even small talks end up leading to big long chats at times!

As someone who has always been very inclined towards research, I think I have certainly taken a significant amount of time during my PhD days to think and rethink my options. I am not saying that do not like research anymore. That would be incorrect. I absolutely love it. However, I feel that academia is certainly always a few years ahead of reality. What you research now will be locked in journals for ages altogether because of its fundamental nature and see the light of the day only in say next couple of decades or so. This is especially the case in natural science and other areas that are still at a very rudimentary level. Nanotechnology is one such. Now, I realized that while I do my research, my tiniest of decisions don't make an impact in the outer world as yet. And that is essentially what I want to see. That the decisions I make based on the results of my problem solving, have a visible and tangible impace in the world. This is very much possible in the industry where you can experience not just a role in research but also in several other business functions, thus giving you a feel of real time decision making and a feeling of accountability.

Therefore, in the next 5 years I certainly want to see myself working as an experienced consultant for one of the industrial sectors and really making decisions regarding operations and strategies for companies.

Actually there is not just one but there are three things I terribly miss about India. One is certainly, home cooked meals straight out of mum's kitchen. Although I can cook everything now myself, I can never really beat the taste of the food that mum cooks.

The other is definitely street food. It's quite a pity that my stomach has adapted itself to European standards too fast but I miss the spicy Indian street food.

The other thing I miss is the opportunity to dress up in a variety of colours and in a variety of ways. Now one may say that as a woman I can do that even without being in India, but I would say, in India you can wear a wide range of clothes right from the traditional sarees (which also btw come in different varieties) to the western gowns and you can wear them in different colours. People here in Europe are somehow not too aware of too many other colours apart from black white and blue probably. They are hardly as colourful and don't accessorize their attires too much.
------------- end----------------

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 12:57 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
05-21-2017 11:58 PM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Back to USA and here enters CMUburgh, an IITian currently at Carnegie Mellon doing his PhD in ECE. Wait...wait...he is also doing a second Masters degree in Machine Learning. In his doctoral dissertation, he plans to dedicate a paragraph to Scotland all its distilleries in the Scottish Highlands....

UG:
IIT Kharagpur, Dual Degree in ECE with a specialization in Telecommunication Systems Engineering, (2008-2013)

Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, PhD in ECE and Secondary Masters in Machine Learning, Machine Learning Department, SCS CMU.

Research Area:
Statistical Machine Learning, Distributed Information Processing, Online Learning, Information Theory

This is funny that the following is the accomplishment I am most proud of till date. I am not an information theorist, but I would like to call myself a theory guy. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory is the go-to journal for Information Theory guys but for all theoreticians it is a very celebrated journal as it doesn't put a restriction on the page limits(!!!) and very often they reject papers saying, "The piece of work is not theoretically rigorous enough to mandate a publication". Not to mention, sometimes papers take years (3-4 years) to get reviewed in the above mentioned journal. Earlier this May, I got my first paper into it and it took just about a year from submission to accept. I would like to think it gives me the passport to call myself a legit theory guy. Smile. Very Happy

A professor in UMich taking my interview even before the deadline and giving me an unofficial fellowship offer. The best moment has to be me getting the admit from CMU, when I was in a train at 2 am in the night and I woke up everybody around me with a "Yeah!!!" and one of them complaining to my dad next morning saying your son is very loud and didn't let any of us sleep last night Very Happy

The first three years of my PhD was pretty much dedicated to Recursive Composite Hypothesis Testing where I had a spell of nine months with no results which even got my advisor impatient and made him think that the problem I was trying to solve probably is not solvable. When I finally solved the problem, I think he was more happy and excited about it then I was.

I am a self-confessed credit card and airline frequent-flyer junkie. Cooking is my biggest stress buster and my thesis acknowledgment (If I end up writing one) will have a paragraph dedicated to Scotland all its distilleries in the Scottish Highlands.

Spending a ridiculous amount of time on Quora reading and writing.

As a research scientist in an industry R&D lab, pondering over whether to continue in industry and take a shot at academia.

Food, friends and the carefree life.
------------- end----------------

05-24-2017 06:45 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

VMEHTA, who represents the unforgettable Edulix 2016 generation is our next distinguished member of the Edulix Most Influential 20 club. Self-confessed Anime lover who misses the street food of Delhi, VM is currently doing his MS in Urbana Champaign the Number 2 ranked program in the US in Environmental Engineering.

UG:
Government Engineering College, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. MS Environmental Engineering & Science
Research Area:
Air Pollution

I am yet to achieve something in my life that I can be proud of and boast about. But, Admit from UIUC - my dream school, was one of the happiest moment for sure.

Making excel sheet using edulix to find data of past student admits with similar profiles and also making excel sheet to store application requirements of every university. It was an uphill but fun task to visit websites of each professor and each department. One of the memorable moment was also when I used to write the results and deadlines of these apps on my office whiteboard and the whole office would be excited to see when and what I update on the same. It was fancy.

UIUC is one of the most beautiful and calm campuses in US. I love the Japan House and the Arboretum owned by the university. The Quad is also gorgeous. But, late night movies, pizza nights and potlucks apart from my Sunday meditation class are something I will cherish forever. My trip to St. Louis and Detroit have also been exhilarating.

Water Quality Control Proc II and Sustainable Design Eng Tech with Professor Jeremy Guest were some of the best classes I have ever taken. The course content and the professor's attitude and the way he handled everything to perfection, it feels like a fairytale.

Anime addict and vegetarianism. I also love doing meditation.

YouTube and few other TV series I regularly follow.

I wish I had the vision to see that far, but I would love to be a waste water specialist engineer in an environmental consulting firm in US. Maybe do an MBA soon too after that. I am still pretty open and optimistic when I think about my future.

Cheap Street Food. My family. Innocent and sensible chicks. EmbarassedTwisted Evil
~V
-------------- end------------

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2017 12:00 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
05-29-2017 11:21 PM
Wildwayfarer Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Wildwayfarer Offline

Likes Given: 0
Well, I am not sure if I'm 'allowed' to post her but its so good to read about everyone's experience. Its funny that we feel that we have had such a different experience when we step out of India but all in all its the same thing most of us go through.

Absolutely love the responses! Smile

Cheers!

P.S : Guys, we all can post here, its not SK's private thread party

Infobank || Visa Interview
UTDallas UMCP Syracuse UoW UoA NYU NEU

If I have been helpful, do care to rate me here
World through my lens.
Road to Paradise
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 01:00 AM by Wildwayfarer.)
06-14-2017 12:59 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Yes, Wildwayfarer

Please post, add comments, etc. It will be nice to have this thread be more educational and inspiring. I am myself inspired by reading this.......Such is the power of the new generation of scholars.

Coming soon, fall13vox, trane293, and Wildwayfarer

cheers,

EE

06-14-2017 02:35 AM
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

Likes Given: 5
Wildwayfarer

Now that you mention it. Well, it has been super interesting to get a peep into personal life of some of Edulix's legends! So interesting!! Applause

Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth. -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Found my posts helpful?, then please provide Reputation points HERE

My Unorthodox VI. || How to Fill Infobank || How to choose b/w colleges (Courtesy T_O) || Things to keep in mind while taking LOR
06-14-2017 01:43 PM
Wildwayfarer Offline

Wildwayfarer Offline

Likes Given: 0
The_Observer Which breed do you have? I have been struggling to make a decision to adopt a dog but most of time goes to work. Is it advisable to get a dog especially a puppy without having anyone to look after him/her between 9-4. Its just I don't want to make life harsh for the lil guy and that was stopped me from getting a dog. I don't have a lot of friends right now who live near me or family who can take care of the dog when I'm gone. Doggy day care costs a arm and a leg, beyond my pay grade.

Any pointers/advice?

Infobank || Visa Interview
UTDallas UMCP Syracuse UoW UoA NYU NEU

If I have been helpful, do care to rate me here
World through my lens.
Road to Paradise
06-14-2017 08:01 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
Wildwayfarer, please start a new thread in the cafe forum, so as to not distract from this one, and I'll be glad to help you in any way I can Smile

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 09:58 PM by The_Observer.)
06-14-2017 09:57 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread