Edulix Most Influential 20 - Trendsetters
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 467
Unisearch: Link
RE: Edulix Most Influential 20 - Trendsetters
We are back with Edulix Most Influential 20 profiles. fall13vox, who may be among the Planet's extremely rare opeth fans with (almost) a PhD degree in nanoelectronics, is our next distinguished member of this club.

UG:
Rajasthan Technical University
Grad School & Degree Program:
NTU-TUM joint MSc degree in Microelectronics engineering;
KU Leuven and IMEC for PhD (pursuing)
Research Area:
Nanoelectronics and biosensing

Most prominent accomplishment so far, that you are proud of:
Despite my long history of bad academic performance (in school and UG), I was able to give a good performance for the MSc program (II rank) and was able to get DAAD scholarships for 2 out of 3 semesters.

Most memorable moment during apping and Grad School:
Admit from the dream university/MSc program, after 4 successive rejects (including rejects from safe universities).

Most exciting/intriguing/rewarding class or research project in Grad School:
Two courses (ULSI and Modern Semicon Devices) that I studied in NTU, had a big impact not only on my ability to understand (or "feel") semiconductor Physics but I was also able to learn (by watching my profs give the lecture) the way teaching should be done.

Most fun thing about you that people do not know about:
I do not just listen to heavy metal but also go to concerts and participate in mosh pits.

Most time-wasting habit of yours:
Watching sitcoms (That 70s Show and The Big Bang Theory)

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years:
Independent researcher or on an academic track to become a professor.

What do you most miss about India?
Good food and the company of my close friends back home.
------------------- end--------------------

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2017 06:56 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
06-15-2017 06:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Wildwayfarer Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Wildwayfarer Offline

Likes Given: 0
Opeth! - wow, I used to listen to those guys back in high school! Great choice fall13vox

Infobank || Visa Interview
UTDallas UMCP Syracuse UoW UoA NYU NEU

If I have been helpful, do care to rate me here
World through my lens.
Road to Paradise
06-16-2017 08:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Our next Edulixian to be recognized as a member of the Edulix Top 20 Trend Setters is Wildwayfarer. He lives up to the high expectations set by his own screen-name. With sarcasm and a bit of straight-forwardness, he talks about his wish to do his own start-up, cybersecurity, and missing the days when he could buy a single cigarette for 12 INR. Ladies and gentlemen, here is Wildwayfarer, unfiltered.

UG:
University of Mumbai

University of Texas at Dallas - Information Tech and Management
Research Area:
Business Intelligence and Analytics

Woah, I really don't know where to begin. I'm not one of those guys who can brag here about how they got the 'Oscars' of their lives. To me, if I go back 5 years back in time, I wouldn't have imagined how my life would change. It's dramatic, unexpected and full-filling at so many levels. Just the fact that how I planned so far ahead in 2011 and how I have made it real is my most prominent achievement. It might sound petty but that's what matters to me.

Most memorable moment during applying and Grad School:
Oh, wow, this has been a roller-coaster. I applied back in Fall 2014 to 6 schools and I got 3 wait-listed and 3 rejects. Imagine my frustration, my dreams were put on a wait-list. Oh come on fate, you cannot do that to me! I cannot take chances on fate so I joined 'Infosys Litd' in the meantime. I couldn't leave the company for a year because of their stupid contract and I fell in love at the same time, so I just didn't. I stayed back and worked for another 18 months before I applied for Fall 15. My first admit was on 10th December 2014 from Syracuse and I knew I'm going to the States at that very moment. First admit is always special - it doesn't matter what school,what place - its just so special that you get this feeling that heck yeah I'm going to the US!

In grad life, woah, so many great memories - First of the top of my head, I secured a full time in March 2016 with one of the biggest company on the face of earth. I didn't join it because they asked me to graduate by Summer 2016, which I wouldn't do (cannot make life more stressful, haha). I remember so many friends of mine calling me an idiot for turning down a once in a lifetime offer but f*ck it, life gives your another chance.

My long-term goal is to start my own company and I am working on it since a last few months. Lots of classes were interesting but one I loved so much was Cybersecurity - you guys must wonder what the heck has Cyber-sec to do with BI or ITM course, well, It was one of my electives and the professor was so great that he made every lecture an eureka moment in my head. I loved it, absolutely, the best classes of my life. Whatever I have learned is surely going to help me down the road.

I'm a hot and handsome guy with money in my pocket. *cough* I speak sarcasm. Though, I try a lot to not write my answers here in such fashion.

I research on the worlds best innovative idea and I don't do jacksh1t about it. Their is no value for 'ideas' , its all about execution. I waste time following the stock market and I do a lot of gambling. I'm not sure if I am going to be a good influence for the folks out here!

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years: Founder of a company which makes this world a better place.

To have the liberty to buy a single cigarette for 12 INR and to get my clothes ironed easily for some change. I hate to iron clothes - f*cking worst job in the world.

Well, that's me. Just an ending note - I love to help folks who plan to do MS. I love doing it, it gives me some satisfaction when I hear VISA approved for some of you guys. I make an effort to answer everything to the best of my knowledge or give you the resources to answer it yourself. Coming to the US can be overwhelming and heck it is when you land. So its good to be prepared and you know- enjoy life at the same time.

Cheers guys!
Abh1
---------------- end---------

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
07-16-2017 11:56 PM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Our next Edulixian to be recognized as a member of the Edulix Top 20 Trend Setters is Wildwayfarer. He lives up to the high expectations set by his own screen-name. With sarcasm and a bit of straight-forwardness, he talks about his wish to do his own start-up, cybersecurity, and missing the days when he could buy a single cigarette for 12 INR. Ladies and gentlemen, here is Wildwayfarer, unfiltered.

UG:
University of Mumbai
University of Texas at Dallas - Information Tech and Management
Research Area:
Business Intelligence and Analytics

Woah, I really don't know where to begin. I'm not one of those guys who can brag here about how they got the 'Oscars' of their lives. To me, if I go back 5 years back in time, I wouldn't have imagined how my life would change. It's dramatic, unexpected and full-filling at so many levels. Just the fact that how I planned so far ahead in 2011 and how I have made it real is my most prominent achievement. It might sound petty but that's what matters to me.

Most memorable moment during applying and Grad School:
Oh, wow, this has been a roller-coaster. I applied back in Fall 2014 to 6 schools and I got 3 wait-listed and 3 rejects. Imagine my frustration, my dreams were put on a wait-list. Oh come on fate, you cannot do that to me! I cannot take chances on fate so I joined 'Infosys Litd' in the meantime. I couldn't leave the company for a year because of their stupid contract and I fell in love at the same time, so I just didn't. I stayed back and worked for another 18 months before I applied for Fall 15. My first admit was on 10th December 2014 from Syracuse and I knew I'm going to the States at that very moment. First admit is always special - it doesn't matter what school,what place - its just so special that you get this feeling that heck yeah I'm going to the US!

In grad life, woah, so many great memories - First of the top of my head, I secured a full time in March 2016 with one of the biggest company on the face of earth. I didn't join it because they asked me to graduate by Summer 2016, which I wouldn't do (cannot make life more stressful, haha). I remember so many friends of mine calling me an idiot for turning down a once in a lifetime offer but f*ck it, life gives your another chance.

My long-term goal is to start my own company and I am working on it since a last few months. Lots of classes were interesting but one I loved so much was Cybersecurity - you guys must wonder what the heck has Cyber-sec to do with BI or ITM course, well, It was one of my electives and the professor was so great that he made every lecture an eureka moment in my head. I loved it, absolutely, the best classes of my life. Whatever I have learned is surely going to help me down the road.

I'm a hot and handsome guy with money in my pocket. *cough* I speak sarcasm. Though, I try a lot to not write my answers here in such fashion.

I research on the worlds best innovative idea and I don't do jacksh1t about it. Their is no value for 'ideas' , its all about execution. I waste time following the stock market and I do a lot of gambling. I'm not sure if I am going to be a good influence for the folks out here!

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years: Founder of a company which makes this world a better place.

To have the liberty to buy a single cigarette for 12 INR and to get my clothes ironed easily for some change. I hate to iron clothes - f*cking worst job in the world.

Well, that's me. Just an ending note - I love to help folks who plan to do MS. I love doing it, it gives me some satisfaction when I hear VISA approved for some of you guys. I make an effort to answer everything to the best of my knowledge or give you the resources to answer it yourself. Coming to the US can be overwhelming and heck it is when you land. So its good to be prepared and you know- enjoy life at the same time.

Cheers guys!
Abh1
---------------- end---------

07-16-2017 11:58 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread