Edulix Most Influential 20 - Trendsetters
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 477
Unisearch: Link
RE: Edulix Most Influential 20 - Trendsetters
We are back with Edulix Most Influential 20 profiles. fall13vox, who may be among the Planet's extremely rare opeth fans with (almost) a PhD degree in nanoelectronics, is our next distinguished member of this club.

UG:
Rajasthan Technical University
Grad School & Degree Program:
NTU-TUM joint MSc degree in Microelectronics engineering;
KU Leuven and IMEC for PhD (pursuing)
Research Area:
Nanoelectronics and biosensing

Most prominent accomplishment so far, that you are proud of:
Despite my long history of bad academic performance (in school and UG), I was able to give a good performance for the MSc program (II rank) and was able to get DAAD scholarships for 2 out of 3 semesters.

Most memorable moment during apping and Grad School:
Admit from the dream university/MSc program, after 4 successive rejects (including rejects from safe universities).

Most exciting/intriguing/rewarding class or research project in Grad School:
Two courses (ULSI and Modern Semicon Devices) that I studied in NTU, had a big impact not only on my ability to understand (or "feel") semiconductor Physics but I was also able to learn (by watching my profs give the lecture) the way teaching should be done.

Most fun thing about you that people do not know about:
I do not just listen to heavy metal but also go to concerts and participate in mosh pits.

Most time-wasting habit of yours:
Watching sitcoms (That 70s Show and The Big Bang Theory)

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years:
Independent researcher or on an academic track to become a professor.

What do you most miss about India?
Good food and the company of my close friends back home.
------------------- end--------------------

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2017 06:56 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
06-15-2017 06:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Wildwayfarer Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Wildwayfarer Offline

Likes Given: 0
Opeth! - wow, I used to listen to those guys back in high school! Great choice fall13vox

Infobank || Visa Interview
UTDallas UMCP Syracuse UoW UoA NYU NEU

If I have been helpful, do care to rate me here
World through my lens.
Road to Paradise
06-16-2017 08:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Our next Edulixian to be recognized as a member of the Edulix Top 20 Trend Setters is Wildwayfarer. He lives up to the high expectations set by his own screen-name. With sarcasm and a bit of straight-forwardness, he talks about his wish to do his own start-up, cybersecurity, and missing the days when he could buy a single cigarette for 12 INR. Ladies and gentlemen, here is Wildwayfarer, unfiltered.

UG:
University of Mumbai
University of Texas at Dallas - Information Tech and Management
Research Area:
Business Intelligence and Analytics

Woah, I really don't know where to begin. I'm not one of those guys who can brag here about how they got the 'Oscars' of their lives. To me, if I go back 5 years back in time, I wouldn't have imagined how my life would change. It's dramatic, unexpected and full-filling at so many levels. Just the fact that how I planned so far ahead in 2011 and how I have made it real is my most prominent achievement. It might sound petty but that's what matters to me.

Most memorable moment during applying and Grad School:
Oh, wow, this has been a roller-coaster. I applied back in Fall 2014 to 6 schools and I got 3 wait-listed and 3 rejects. Imagine my frustration, my dreams were put on a wait-list. Oh come on fate, you cannot do that to me! I cannot take chances on fate so I joined 'Infosys Litd' in the meantime. I couldn't leave the company for a year because of their stupid contract and I fell in love at the same time, so I just didn't. I stayed back and worked for another 18 months before I applied for Fall 15. My first admit was on 10th December 2014 from Syracuse and I knew I'm going to the States at that very moment. First admit is always special - it doesn't matter what school,what place - its just so special that you get this feeling that heck yeah I'm going to the US!

In grad life, woah, so many great memories - First of the top of my head, I secured a full time in March 2016 with one of the biggest company on the face of earth. I didn't join it because they asked me to graduate by Summer 2016, which I wouldn't do (cannot make life more stressful, haha). I remember so many friends of mine calling me an idiot for turning down a once in a lifetime offer but f*ck it, life gives your another chance.

My long-term goal is to start my own company and I am working on it since a last few months. Lots of classes were interesting but one I loved so much was Cybersecurity - you guys must wonder what the heck has Cyber-sec to do with BI or ITM course, well, It was one of my electives and the professor was so great that he made every lecture an eureka moment in my head. I loved it, absolutely, the best classes of my life. Whatever I have learned is surely going to help me down the road.

I'm a hot and handsome guy with money in my pocket. *cough* I speak sarcasm. Though, I try a lot to not write my answers here in such fashion.

I research on the worlds best innovative idea and I don't do jacksh1t about it. Their is no value for 'ideas' , its all about execution. I waste time following the stock market and I do a lot of gambling. I'm not sure if I am going to be a good influence for the folks out here!

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years: Founder of a company which makes this world a better place.

To have the liberty to buy a single cigarette for 12 INR and to get my clothes ironed easily for some change. I hate to iron clothes - f*cking worst job in the world.

Well, that's me. Just an ending note - I love to help folks who plan to do MS. I love doing it, it gives me some satisfaction when I hear VISA approved for some of you guys. I make an effort to answer everything to the best of my knowledge or give you the resources to answer it yourself. Coming to the US can be overwhelming and heck it is when you land. So its good to be prepared and you know- enjoy life at the same time.

Cheers guys!
Abh1
---------------- end---------

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
07-16-2017 11:58 PM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

We now focus on the new generation of Edulixians, Edulix Class of 2017, who are poised to take this community to a new and higher level. Each class of Edulix has its own unique collective personality. Edulix Class of 2017 which was dealt very unwelcoming and retro moment and events with all sorts of barriers placed on its way is turning out to be a determined and positive bunch. They are poised to break any sort of barriers. For their bravery and positive attitude, and the potential they carry, we feature one of theirs, trane293 who is a rising star.......

---------begin-------------
UG
DAV Institute of Engineering and Technology, Kabir Nagar, Jalandhar, Punjab, India.

Grad School & Degree Program
Simon Fraser University, MSc Computing Science (Thesis), Fall 2017

Research Area
Machine Learning and Medical Image Analysis

Most prominent accomplishment so far, that you are proud of: Working in an early stage startup based out of Silicon Valley, alongside great people from Stanford, CalTech and Columbia. I got the offer to join the company as a full time employee working remotely, even before I graduated from my bachelors.

Going to attend graduate school this year.

Going to attend graduate school this year. However I did multiple major research projects during my bachelors, out of which the project which was a part of my bachelor's dissertation was the most rewarding. I worked on developing a CADe (Computer Aided Detection) system for Brain MRI scans which could approximately localise potential areas where tumor growth was visible. This project if deployed, can save hundreds and thousands of neurologist hours spent on localising tumor in over 620 slices for each patient.

Most fun thing about you that people do not know about: I am a foodie, and the people who best get along with me usually share the same enthusiasm for food.

Most time-wasting habit of yours
If I am not doing anything I read random articles​ on the internet. For some it might sound like a waste of time, the truth is this has allowed me to develop a strong grasp of a large number of topics; topics which I can very well discuss about with even highly knowledgeable people.

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years
I see myself as a successful Research Engineer/Scientist at a place which permits me enough freedom to build my own projects, while allowing me to work on something which impacts the world in a positive way. The reason I stick to Medical Image Analysis as my research area is that any breakthrough in this field will touch of life of millions, and possibly help save thousands of lives. This is enough motivation for me to keep working.

Yet to join graduate school this fall.
------------end------------------

07-31-2017 02:05 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Next up is @[The_Chharraa] whose vision of Quantitative Neurosciences or Behavioral Sciences intersecting with finances or policy making marks him as an "out-of-the-box" thinking Edulixian.

More later.

EE

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 02:58 AM by VMEHTA.)
07-31-2017 08:44 PM
irvinpinto Offline
Edulix Super Senior

irvinpinto Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 0
Rogue
I didn't know you did your UG in Goa. Any fun memories to share?Very Happy

PhD student and Research Assistant
Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Iowa State University,
Ames, IA

My Infobank profile

My Visa Interview experience

My LinkedIn profile

PM/Tag me for Civil Engineering related queries and any queries you may have to adjusting to life in the US.
08-04-2017 05:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

irvinpinto, PhD candidate in Civil Engineering at Iowa State University is our new featured Edulix Top 20 Trend Setter. We have been following his progress from his early days in Edulix, and his journey represents what is the best about graduate school. Hard and disciplined work with a bit of luck is all you need to make huge impact in yours and other's life. With Anime binge watching as his guilt time-passing habit, IP certainly has the hallmarks of a promising assistant professor in the making.

------------- ---------------
UG:
Goa College of Engineering, Goa University

Iowa State University, MS and PhD in Civil Engineering Materials

Research Area:
MS: Smart concrete Materials
PhD: Pavement Rehabilitation and Bituminous materials

Going from being a graduate of an average engineering college in India with barely enough finances for a year of grad school to being a financially independent PhD student who finally found his grove in life.

Apping: Getting my first acceptance letter from Iowa State after 3 rejections from other schools and almost giving up on my MS hopes.
Grad school: Signing off on the ownership papers of my new Nissan Altima at a Nissan dealership office at age 24 with my own income.

My research project on Smart concrete materials, mainly because it really exposed me to the uncertainties of research and taught me perseverance after I got decent results right at the very end of my Masters course. It also prepped me up for my PhD coursework and research, all of which I can handle thanks to that rigorous but rewarding experience.

Apart from grad school, I also hike, backpack, do rock climbing, martial arts and play lead guitar. It's fun to see people's faces when I tell them I have time to do all this stuff and still keep the research rolling.

Binge watching Anime on Netflix

Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years:
Assistant professor in a good research University in the US, not more than a few hours away from a major national forest popular backpacking spot, living in a small town with my significant other and 2-3 dogs.

Honestly, coming home from my game of badminton and having hot food ready for me on the dinner table. That's something you'll never get here. No matter how well you do or how much money you make, you'll never truly get to kick back and throw your feet up on the sofa like I used to do when I lived at home. The paychecks may go up, but so does the responsibility
---------------------------- ---------------

08-08-2017 12:49 AM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
(08-04-2017 05:44 AM)irvinpinto Wrote:  @[Rogue]
I didn't know you did your UG in Goa. Any fun memories to share?Very Happy

Well it was Goa and then I was in BITS-Pilani Goa campus, so I have loads of fun memories to account for starting with the sun sand and sea to the annual college Fests etc.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
08-09-2017 09:38 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread