Spring Vs Fall
K@Ira Offline
Edulix Frequent User

K@Ira Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 8
Unisearch: Link
Spring Vs Fall
came across many links stating how a Fall admit should be preferred over Spring. However, this link here states something quite contrary:
https://www.greedge.com/blog/myths-and-m...ring-2017/

Seniors, what is your opinion?
05-19-2017 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 477
RE: Spring Vs Fall
Obviously written by someone who has no idea how professors and departments plan their year! TA and increasingly RA decisions are made in Fall. With Fall applicants, we have the whole Fall semester to know them and feel comfortable to offer TA, RA etc. Spring entrants take time to be recognized.

EE

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
05-19-2017 08:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
I would listen to EE, if I were you. He does know more than most people here, because he's on the other side of the table when it comes to those assistantships.

And if you want even more reasons to understand why a Fall admit is more preferable than a Spring one, consider the fact that most reputable graduate programs do not allow you to enroll in CPT in the first 9 months, which means in those programs, you'd not be able to intern in the summer. Like the author of that article says, there are universities that offer CPT from day one, but most of those sorts of universities aren't accredited, or are scams that try to game the immigration rules in place, aren't worth the money you might wanna spend on them, and most probably not worth attending. In short, most accredited schools which are above-board do not really offer - let alone require - CPT enrollment from the start, as that post's author suggests.

Now, you might be wondering, is that really such an impediment? Probably, or probably not. Sure, there's more competition for everything, from housing to assistantships and on-campus jobs, to internships, for Fall admits, but I don't think a Spring admit is actually better. The competition for those things might be less for Spring admits, sure, but at the end of the day, if you graduate without being able to intern and get that very valuable US work-experience, the path to getting a full-time job after graduation might be more difficult than it'd have been if you were to get an internship. Better still, if you can convert that internship onto a co-op, which again, are mostly offered in the Fall, for which Spring admits might not be eligible for in their first year.

P.S. Here is the link to the USCIS webpage which specifically states that an international student on an F-1 visa may not work off-campus during the first academic year (which means the first two semesters, generally considered to be a total duration of 9 months). Always refer only to the official source (USCIS/DHS/ICE) for such questions.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2017 11:21 AM by The_Observer.)
05-20-2017 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

Likes Given: 5
K@Ira

Apart from what EE AND T_O have said above, never listen to greedge people/article. They are the most... You know what I mean. Right?

I have been on their ship too. It's a sinking one.

Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth. -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Found my posts helpful?, then please provide Reputation points HERE

My Unorthodox VI. || How to Fill Infobank || How to choose b/w colleges (Courtesy T_O) || Things to keep in mind while taking LOR
05-23-2017 10:25 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread